Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Twelve Batmans posted:

No FG has been terrible enough for me to switch to 3D fighters though. I'm sorry to hear that, man. Blech!

Tekken actually owns a whole lot.

I would've preferred if Street Fighter V was good instead, since Street Fighter is the series I started with and best at but I'm definitely having a ton of fun with Tekken, even if it's insanely complex even compared to other fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Trades posted:

Tekken actually owns a whole lot.

I would've preferred if Street Fighter V was good instead, since Street Fighter is the series I started with and best at but I'm definitely having a ton of fun with Tekken, even if it's insanely complex even compared to other fighters.

Yeah boy howdy. Tekken's so good. It's got supers and Akuma now- things Street Fighter has had since... the early 90's?

I'm just loving. Tekken's alright I just don't like 3D fighters and every gimmick they put completely rubs me the wrong way. Everytime I watch a stream of it the supers just make me roll my eyes for how bland and same-y they all feel (especially in their use).

SFV had a super lovely launch but now it's shaping up pretty well. If only they'd just forget Cammy (and add Dudley) as a character ever existed it'd probably become my second favorite SF.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Harrow posted:

The reason I like Geralt is that he pretends to be tough and emotionless but he's actually a big soft-hearted goober who has no idea how to be a dad.

I mean that's really it. I just think he's kind of a fun character. There's this in-universe myth that Witchers are emotionless killing machines and Geralt seems to really try to believe that it's true, so he doesn't even realize how emotional he really is. (Also given every Witcher we meet in the games I have no idea how anyone believes that Witchers are emotionless. They're a bunch of idiot bros who joke around and tell stories and get weepy all the goddamn time.)

Oddly enough that's a turn that a lot of 'gruff antiheroes with a well hidden heart of gold' take.

IIRC Witchers play up that stereotype with the common folk in an attempt to be taken seriously.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the witcher 3 is really, really good, it's still GOTY from the year it was released until now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oddly enough that's a turn that a lot of 'gruff antiheroes with a well hidden heart of gold' take.

IIRC Witchers play up that stereotype with the common folk in an attempt to be taken seriously.

Oh yeah, it's not super original or anything, I just think the combination of Geralt's voice acting (in English, at least, I have no idea about other language tracks) and the characters around him make it work out to be pretty fun in TW3 in particular. It helps make him a likable and at least somewhat interesting character, even if he isn't really a new take on anything at all.

But I also do enjoy that this sort of thing is used in-universe by the Witchers for the reason you point out: an attempt to make sure everyone takes them seriously. If I remember correctly, Geralt thinks he's extra emotionless because of his extra-special mutations but I could be remembering that wrong.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The witcher trials cause autism

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

poverty goat posted:

Healthy young witcher goes to Kaer Morhen, undergoes the Trial of Grasses, doesn't feel good and changes - AUTISM. Many such cases!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

poverty goat posted:

They just lock them in a room with a copy of Dark Souls for a week or so

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Pyromancer posted:

Same people who say Witcher 3 is bad say Dark Souls combat is good, so they're just consistently and objectively wrong.

Nioh is currently the reigning champion of combat systems. This is an objective fact and I will not debate.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't worry, you can keep it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Say what you want about Nioh but doing full Flux after every attack to get back all your stamina for free is one of the most physically satisfying things to do I ever learned in a game.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sebmojo posted:

i was thinking on this at the bus stop, and I can't remember any time when i had a fantastic experience in W3 from the gameplay itself. i often thought 'that was fun' but I also occasionally thought 'that was annoying'.

TBH i would put it on a similar level to skyrim, it's a bit better than adequate, but not brilliant.

Skyrim is an epic quest to find anything that is fun

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

basic hitler posted:

the witcher 3 is really, really good, it's still GOTY from the year it was released until now.

Nah, Prey exists and beats it easily

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

SkyrimAny Elder Scrolls game is an epic quest to find anything that is fun

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

No. No.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

!Klams posted:

I think Skyrim and The Witcher and basically anything where you'd expect a dragon to show up are loving boring trash. Yeah, "Lord of the rings", more like "BORED of loving everything about this played out shitshow". High fantasy is so loving DONE. Like, you can have loving ANYTHING, ANYTHING can happen, because its fictional and there is magic.

A new game comes out that's got magic in it. Is there a magic spell that folds reality on itself in such a way that it exposes the Eel-Ghost dimension, and the ghosts of eels take flight from it finding home in peoples limbs, giving the victim an intense thirst for ocean water, and when they draw near to the shore, the limb severs itself, leaps into the waters and swims off to grow into a gravity-absorbing blanket of fleshmass that writhes along the ocean floor, creating hard to navigate waters where the ships bob strangely like braying horses? No, is there gently caress as like, there's fireball, invisibility, and enchant sword. And of course it's a loving sword, because lord knows anything like 'having your fist encased in a cube of iron decorated with a different rune on each face that you clobber people with' is just too loving much, no just swords again for me please.

Who are these people? Well, they're short, so obviously to a one they're all gruff Scottish blacksmiths with a short temper who don't have an affinity for magic and live in a mine. You know, like us humans, who are to the very last 'middling stats, jack of all trades master of none'. OH WOW I'M SO HYPE FOR THIS NEW AND EXCITING WORLD. Christ.

Just one time, could the dungeon end with a loving freshly killed giant pig, it's body all bleeding from various orifices as its flesh writhes and wriggles as the rat-skeletons who operate it from within like a big meat puppet drive it to attack you, occasionally jumping or falling out, and trying to bludgeon you themselves? Or you come to the end of a dungeon and there's just a stream, but you go to drink from it and it starts moving about through the ground, trying to encircle you, sometimes whipping up out of the ground at you like a snake, until eventually you damage it enough and it takes flight, leaving a trail of water through the air that freezes and falls, and this ice is the only thing in the world that can turn ANYTHING Hungarian. No, it has to end with a dragon, and dragons are clever and like gold and are loving dull and have lots of hitpoints and armor despite just looking like a lizard, but its dragonscale, which is rare and makes for good armor. gently caress I hate dragons.

Very same

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

!Klams posted:

I think Skyrim and The Witcher and basically anything where you'd expect a dragon to show up are loving boring trash. Yeah, "Lord of the rings", more like "BORED of loving everything about this played out shitshow". High fantasy is so loving DONE. Like, you can have loving ANYTHING, ANYTHING can happen, because its fictional and there is magic.

A new game comes out that's got magic in it. Is there a magic spell that folds reality on itself in such a way that it exposes the Eel-Ghost dimension, and the ghosts of eels take flight from it finding home in peoples limbs, giving the victim an intense thirst for ocean water, and when they draw near to the shore, the limb severs itself, leaps into the waters and swims off to grow into a gravity-absorbing blanket of fleshmass that writhes along the ocean floor, creating hard to navigate waters where the ships bob strangely like braying horses? No, is there gently caress as like, there's fireball, invisibility, and enchant sword. And of course it's a loving sword, because lord knows anything like 'having your fist encased in a cube of iron decorated with a different rune on each face that you clobber people with' is just too loving much, no just swords again for me please.

Who are these people? Well, they're short, so obviously to a one they're all gruff Scottish blacksmiths with a short temper who don't have an affinity for magic and live in a mine. You know, like us humans, who are to the very last 'middling stats, jack of all trades master of none'. OH WOW I'M SO HYPE FOR THIS NEW AND EXCITING WORLD. Christ.

Just one time, could the dungeon end with a loving freshly killed giant pig, it's body all bleeding from various orifices as its flesh writhes and wriggles as the rat-skeletons who operate it from within like a big meat puppet drive it to attack you, occasionally jumping or falling out, and trying to bludgeon you themselves? Or you come to the end of a dungeon and there's just a stream, but you go to drink from it and it starts moving about through the ground, trying to encircle you, sometimes whipping up out of the ground at you like a snake, until eventually you damage it enough and it takes flight, leaving a trail of water through the air that freezes and falls, and this ice is the only thing in the world that can turn ANYTHING Hungarian. No, it has to end with a dragon, and dragons are clever and like gold and are loving dull and have lots of hitpoints and armor despite just looking like a lizard, but its dragonscale, which is rare and makes for good armor. gently caress I hate dragons.

Thank you.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Same is true for most types of universes in games. Sci fi games have the short haired armor man protagonist, star trek races and clunky steel ships instead of like some Stanislaw Lem type of poo poo which would be way more interesting. All soldier squad characters in games are also the same, always based on full metal jacket.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

The backtracking simulator?

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
Is believing Elite: Dangerous is good an unpopular opinion still? I always felt like people judged that game against their wildest dreams of what they'd want to do in a space sandbox game (we all know what happens when someone tries to actually make that: nothing) instead of judging it on what it is. I've got a solid 200 hours in the game and plan to put more in, I feel like I easily got my $20 worth or whatever the hell I paid. The Steam reviews take the meme of "Don't play this lovely game, it sucks. 3,847 hours played" meme to the extremes.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Graphic posted:

Is believing Elite: Dangerous is good an unpopular opinion still? I always felt like people judged that game against their wildest dreams of what they'd want to do in a space sandbox game (we all know what happens when someone tries to actually make that: nothing) instead of judging it on what it is. I've got a solid 200 hours in the game and plan to put more in, I feel like I easily got my $20 worth or whatever the hell I paid. The Steam reviews take the meme of "Don't play this lovely game, it sucks. 3,847 hours played" meme to the extremes.

Elite: Dangerous was very cool and one of the few games I think about when I miss having a PC.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

elite dangerous is really good. I think most people imagine space sandboxes to be like, your personal episode of star trek or something, but the reality is space is big and boring. it's a lot of reading menus and intel, and the game does a lot to make things like dogfighting way more fun than they would ever be in real life. But hte reality is, if you don't want a "smoke weed and explore" simulator, a space-trucker simulator, or a dogfight simulator it's not gonna impress you.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I got Elite to try out in VR and it looks goddamn amazing. That being said, the gameplay revolves around waiting for your jump drive to energize, waiting for the jump to finish, waiting to dock, waiting to land, etc. Too much idle time to have your headset on for hours. At one point I got a program to play videos in the cockpit, but that's also when I realized it might just be too slow paced for VR.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Sintax posted:

I got Elite to try out in VR and it looks goddamn amazing. That being said, the gameplay revolves around waiting for your jump drive to energize, waiting for the jump to finish, waiting to dock, waiting to land, etc. Too much idle time to have your headset on for hours. At one point I got a program to play videos in the cockpit, but that's also when I realized it might just be too slow paced for VR.

It's this for a couple hours until you can buy an Eagle, then you can transition to being a pirate lord assassinator or space Maverick.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

!Klams posted:

planescape torment did this

also imo all "high fantasy" games are basically just ripping off D&D thats why theyre all the same

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

jimmyjams posted:

planescape torment did this

Morrowind deserves credit too. A "mistake" Bethesda will never make again, though. The breif teaser for TES6 looks like Scotland or something, so we're probably in store for more dragons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When you have a setting with magic and wonder and impossible poo poo, it's so ridiculously boring to constantly fall back on the Tolkien-as-filtered-through-D&D poo poo and yet that's all 99% of fantasy stories (in games and otherwise) do.

It sucks

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

When you have a setting with magic and wonder and impossible poo poo, it's so ridiculously boring to constantly fall back on the Tolkien-as-filtered-through-D&D poo poo and yet that's all 99% of fantasy stories (in games and otherwise) do.

It sucks

Well our alternative is basically Nu-Final Fantasy with people that become crystals if they don't complete tasks and a character whose weapon is his overcoat and now magical beings are motorcycles and boy band royalty roams the country side in their flying car looking for crazy little green men with lanterns and light-sabers.

...Yeah I guess that's better.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

!Klams posted:

Thank you.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

QuarkJets posted:

New Prey is good if you like fighting the same boring enemies the entire game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I will say that I don't mind it when fantasy settings take tired old things like dragons and put a weird spin on them that remains true to what A Dragon often represents while still being something unique.

For example, Breath of Fire IV (the best Breath of Fire). Dragons are demigods that take a huge variety of weird and alien forms and are so powerful and important to the world that the very paths of peoples' lives are changed by being near one and the two most important characters (your protagonist and the main antagonist) struggle with how their divine dragon-ness is affecting the people they care about. Yeah, they're still "dragons," but ultimately have a unique look and a really compelling role in the setting.

That's not to say that every attempt to do this is successful. Dragon Age tries to do a unique spin on elves, but really it's just kind of a tired "subversive" version of the elf, where instead of being special magic Tolkien elves, they actually lost all their cool magic ages and ages ago and now they're either barely surviving as nomadic tribes or living as an oppressed underclass in human cities. It's not as interesting as they think it is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

QuarkJets posted:

Prey didn't come out in 2015. Bloodborne and Metal Gear Solid V did though

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

I will say that I don't mind it when fantasy settings take tired old things like dragons and put a weird spin on them that remains true to what A Dragon often represents while still being something unique.

For example, Breath of Fire IV (the best Breath of Fire). Dragons are demigods that take a huge variety of weird and alien forms and are so powerful and important to the world that the very paths of peoples' lives are changed by being near one and the two most important characters (your protagonist and the main antagonist) struggle with how their divine dragon-ness is affecting the people they care about. Yeah, they're still "dragons," but ultimately have a unique look and a really compelling role in the setting.

BoFIV is one of the best JRPG's. Beautiful spritework, amazing music, and a battle system so good that FFX ripped it off and made it suck. But yes your synopsis is pretty accurate in that Dragon is just a name for an other-worldly being that is a force of nature unto itself. Even the base dragon form is extremely unique in having dragon-fly wings and a slender, bug-like form. The world dragons are loving amazing in their design too.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

2house2fly posted:

MGSV is definitely better than Witcher 3.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sintax posted:

one thing I learned from eve is that space is awesome 1% of the time and boring 99% of the time so if you ever want to survive to see the awesome part you always need extra screens with additional entertainment on them

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

!Klams posted:

Have you played bloodborne my man

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

2house2fly posted:

I think he was saying that Witcher 3 has been GOTY every year since its release, which is just wrong regardless

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Has anyone posted this yet

I kind of feel like there's way more of these guys out there that weren't included.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 7, 2018

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
To be fair, I think three of those are literally the Force Unleashed guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

fridge corn posted:

Have you played bloodborne my man

Yeah, I massively enjoy the soulsborne stuff. They even go a step further and gently caress with gaming conventions. Which is also loving fantastic. But there is almost a From convention building up now. Be interesting to see where they go with that ninja game!