Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Skyrim gameplay is actually fairly solid, nailing a bow kill is never not satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

steinrokkan posted:

This sentence would accurately describe noted power fantasy Witcher 3 as well.

Well in MGSV you're not buddies with all the monarchs in the region

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

sebmojo posted:

Skyrim gameplay is actually fairly solid, nailing a bow kill is never not satisfying.

stealth and bows are the only reasonable way to play that game. The melee combat is too floaty and bad, and the magic system is just terrible.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

bow is the only weapon in that game that's fun though

that's pretty bad for your huge multi-classing action RPG

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I remember starting my oblivion playthrough as a big buff knight dude but ending it as a super sneaky stealth archer....in heavy armour

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

fridge corn posted:

I remember starting my <bethesda game> playthrough as a big buff <fighter> dude but ending it as a super sneaky stealth <ranger dude>....in heavy armour

almost inevitable unless it's your second playthrough
In TES you're bound to try to be sneaky since level scaling is hosed and you'll probably be one shot by damage sponges if you don't exclusively train combat skills. You get sneak attacks to kill these enemies, level up your sneak in the process, and sneaking rapidly becomes the best option for any situation.

The only bethesda-ish game I don't usually go stealthy is FNV, and that's because for the most part enemies have pretty reasonable HP pools, so you can just shoot them normally instead of getting a 5000x bonus for shooting while straining your knees.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sebmojo posted:

But it doesnt even have bodyhitzones..

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has any game done first-person melee combat well?

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Fist of the North Star Arcade

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Harrow posted:

king's field circle strafing was great back in the early 90s

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Harrow posted:

Riddick did it pretty well.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

Witcher 3 sucks and is bad, dark souls 1-3 is cool and good

And dark souls 2 is the best of the bunch

lol

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Verisimilidude posted:

Witcher 3 sucks and is bad, dark souls 1-3 is cool and good

And dark souls 2 is the best of the bunch

i know this is the unpopular opinions thread but lol imagine calling dark souls good and witcher 3 bad

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

Zeno Clash

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Harrow posted:

chivalry

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

i know this is the unpopular opinions thread but lol imagine calling dark souls good and witcher 3 bad

I just did it because it's true my boy

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm so lost on the level of irony we are running here

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Harrow posted:

Dark Messiah of might and magic with its all-mighty boot to the face.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

Condemned

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

punching insane homeless people felt pretty dang good in that game

which reminds me: the most thrilling part of any video game is in Condemned 2 when you're in a cabin and then suddenly being chased by a psychotic grizzly bear

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

Well in MGSV you're not buddies with all the monarchs in the region

In Witcher 3 one monarch plots to murder you and finds your existence offensive, the other barely tolerates you for the short while needed to fulfill a task, then he'll return to low-key wanting to murder you as before the game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quote-Unquote posted:

Some people are just twisted

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Dark Souls and Witcher 3 are very different games, so it makes a lot of sense to me that someone would have different opinions on both of them

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

This sentence would accurately describe noted power fantasy Witcher 3 as well.

The game's narrator is literally a bard telling people about your heroic deeds, you are completely wrong

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

The game's narrator is literally a bard telling people about your heroic deeds, you are completely wrong

I think you miss the point. W3 is a power fantasy, as is MGS, and virtually all other games. It's a trivial, pointless point of criticism.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

I think you miss the point. W3 is a power fantasy, as is MGS, and virtually all other games. It's a trivial, pointless point of criticism.

my point wasn't so much that power fantasy = bad, my point was that it's the peak power fantasy and Geralt/the witcher get a lot of unearned praise because he's a bad character and they are bad games for perverts

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Verisimilidude posted:

my point wasn't so much that power fantasy = bad, my point was that it's the peak power fantasy and Geralt/the witcher get a lot of unearned praise because he's a bad character and they are bad games for perverts

Lambert, Lambert, what a prick

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

My point is that "nothing you do is really remembered by anyone in the larger series" doesn't describe the Witcher at all. The post you were replying to said that MGSV is an anti-power fantasy

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 6, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

My point is that "nothing you do is really remembered by anyone in the larger series" doesn't describe the Witcher at all. The post you were replying to said that MGSV is an anti-power fantasy you goober

Yeah, it did, and yeah, it was wrong. Being a forgotten, underappreciated hero is one of the classic juvenile power fantasy templates. And the narrative frame of the witcher game is p much irrelevant unless you are a giant pedant, in the end the protagonist fades into obscurity, and with him all the heritage of his people. You could argue that the DLC is a contradiction to this, and you would be right, since the DLC was made as a contrasting piece to the original.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 6, 2018

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What's wrong with games for perverts?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's literally the only good thing about Street Fighter V.

Besides it being so bad that it made me discover Tekken 7.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, it did, and yeah, it was wrong. Being a forgotten, underappreciated hero is one of the classic juvenile power fantasy templates. And the narrative frame of the witcher game is p much irrelevant unless you are a giant pedant, in the end the protagonist fades into obscurity, and with him all the heritage of his people. You could argue that the DLC is a contradiction to this, and you would be right, since the DLC was made as a contrasting piece to the original.

In the context of gameplay sure, but whereas the Witcher is remembered forever as a heroic badass that people sing songs about the deeds of the boss in MGSV are basically done in secret and/or forgotten forever

A pedant, really? The narrator talks to you about this constantly, did you play the game blindfolded with the volume off?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

wtf is a dumner

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think Skyrim and The Witcher and basically anything where you'd expect a dragon to show up are loving boring trash. Yeah, "Lord of the rings", more like "BORED of loving everything about this played out shitshow". High fantasy is so loving DONE. Like, you can have loving ANYTHING, ANYTHING can happen, because its fictional and there is magic.

A new game comes out that's got magic in it. Is there a magic spell that folds reality on itself in such a way that it exposes the Eel-Ghost dimension, and the ghosts of eels take flight from it finding home in peoples limbs, giving the victim an intense thirst for ocean water, and when they draw near to the shore, the limb severs itself, leaps into the waters and swims off to grow into a gravity-absorbing blanket of fleshmass that writhes along the ocean floor, creating hard to navigate waters where the ships bob strangely like braying horses? No, is there gently caress as like, there's fireball, invisibility, and enchant sword. And of course it's a loving sword, because lord knows anything like 'having your fist encased in a cube of iron decorated with a different rune on each face that you clobber people with' is just too loving much, no just swords again for me please.

Who are these people? Well, they're short, so obviously to a one they're all gruff Scottish blacksmiths with a short temper who don't have an affinity for magic and live in a mine. You know, like us humans, who are to the very last 'middling stats, jack of all trades master of none'. OH WOW I'M SO HYPE FOR THIS NEW AND EXCITING WORLD. Christ.

Just one time, could the dungeon end with a loving freshly killed giant pig, it's body all bleeding from various orifices as its flesh writhes and wriggles as the rat-skeletons who operate it from within like a big meat puppet drive it to attack you, occasionally jumping or falling out, and trying to bludgeon you themselves? Or you come to the end of a dungeon and there's just a stream, but you go to drink from it and it starts moving about through the ground, trying to encircle you, sometimes whipping up out of the ground at you like a snake, until eventually you damage it enough and it takes flight, leaving a trail of water through the air that freezes and falls, and this ice is the only thing in the world that can turn ANYTHING Hungarian. No, it has to end with a dragon, and dragons are clever and like gold and are loving dull and have lots of hitpoints and armor despite just looking like a lizard, but its dragonscale, which is rare and makes for good armor. gently caress I hate dragons.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

!Klams posted:

I think Skyrim and The Witcher and basically anything where you'd expect a dragon to show up are loving boring trash. Yeah, "Lord of the rings", more like "BORED of loving everything about this played out shitshow". High fantasy is so loving DONE. Like, you can have loving ANYTHING, ANYTHING can happen, because its fictional and there is magic.

A new game comes out that's got magic in it. Is there a magic spell that folds reality on itself in such a way that it exposes the Eel-Ghost dimension, and the ghosts of eels take flight from it finding home in peoples limbs, giving the victim an intense thirst for ocean water, and when they draw near to the shore, the limb severs itself, leaps into the waters and swims off to grow into a gravity-absorbing blanket of fleshmass that writhes along the ocean floor, creating hard to navigate waters where the ships bob strangely like braying horses? No, is there gently caress as like, there's fireball, invisibility, and enchant sword. And of course it's a loving sword, because lord knows anything like 'having your fist encased in a cube of iron decorated with a different rune on each face that you clobber people with' is just too loving much, no just swords again for me please.

Who are these people? Well, they're short, so obviously to a one they're all gruff Scottish blacksmiths with a short temper who don't have an affinity for magic and live in a mine. You know, like us humans, who are to the very last 'middling stats, jack of all trades master of none'. OH WOW I'M SO HYPE FOR THIS NEW AND EXCITING WORLD. Christ.

Just one time, could the dungeon end with a loving freshly killed giant pig, it's body all bleeding from various orifices as its flesh writhes and wriggles as the rat-skeletons who operate it from within like a big meat puppet drive it to attack you, occasionally jumping or falling out, and trying to bludgeon you themselves? Or you come to the end of a dungeon and there's just a stream, but you go to drink from it and it starts moving about through the ground, trying to encircle you, sometimes whipping up out of the ground at you like a snake, until eventually you damage it enough and it takes flight, leaving a trail of water through the air that freezes and falls, and this ice is the only thing in the world that can turn ANYTHING Hungarian. No, it has to end with a dragon, and dragons are clever and like gold and are loving dull and have lots of hitpoints and armor despite just looking like a lizard, but its dragonscale, which is rare and makes for good armor. gently caress I hate dragons.

which is part of why dark souls is so great, because it was once a regular-rear end fantasy universe but then poo poo got weird and now there are no gods and everyone who hasn't turned into a zombie is stuck in a never ending limbo of death and resurrection and all the creatures are hosed up and weird

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Harrow posted:

Breakdown

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

dark elves who failed out of school

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Trades posted:

That's literally the only good thing about Street Fighter V.

Besides it being so bad that it made me discover Tekken 7.

Lol it's only sexy because her gigantism-induced hands and feet aren't in the frame.

No FG has been terrible enough for me to switch to 3D fighters though. I'm sorry to hear that, man. Blech!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Chimer before Azura got really pissed