Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Google Play Music is already clogged with fan content. If you suggest "video clips" and they are just user upload slideshows to the music your paid service is not impressing me and it's got big ramifications for the artists. I expect fake "new album" leaks (has happened before with fan content but lacks the distribution previously to trick more broadly than overly keen radio DJs) are going to be the new "oh sorry lol I forgot to mention this is a fan trailer why is everyone so mad haha".

Edit: and I still don't have messages with dark mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In Android Auto, is there a way to rearrange the audio sources? I'd like to have Google Play Music and PocketCasts at the top, but it just lists things in alphabetical order, so "Google" is at the top (no idea what audio that plays), then Google Play Books, which I've never used.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Sorry for the bizarre attachments. Awful app doesn't want to do bigger.
Question is, what's eating my battery and how do I find it? Its a Xiaomi Mi A1 and today it sat on my shelf, barely being touched, and having flicked through all 160 apps there don't seem to be apps that are secretly using more than Google says.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm sure it claimed this had been attached.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

you can use betterbatterystats or accubattery, betterbatterystats provides more information but you need to run an adb command to get it to work

you can download betterbatterystats for free from xda, you need to pay to get it from the play store iirc

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Tunga posted:

New Google Fit is a complete mess. I keep getting points for riding trains around and it notifies me multiple times a day about whether I have/haven't/will/won't meet my heart/fit/run/jump/skip points/minutes and I really don't know what any of it means and it's all totally unusable anyway because it thinks trains keep me fit so even if I put good data into it from Strava there's just tons of noise covering it up.

I ended up reverting to the previous version before the revamp. I couldn't give a rats rear end about heart points and whatever and was pretty much using it as a step and weight tracker and the new version just hides away a lot of the information, seems less accurate and doesn't allow you to disable crap like heart points or the stupid "achievement gauge" it has right at the start, so you have to scroll down for actual information.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Are there any decent travel itinerary apps going? I'll be doing a lot of travelling next week, and it'd be great to feed in a list of places I need to be, draw a route between them, and say 'depart x by y time'.

I've tried Google Trips but it only lets you add tourist sights to your 'day plan'; you can't just pick a pin on Google Maps and say hey, I want to go there there there and there. It won't let you.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My work travel booking thingy (Concur) was pushing TripIt. I haven't personally used it yet, but just wanted to throw an option out there.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!
I use TripIt and it's great keeping up with stuff. It's not just an app though, https://www.tripit.com/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there a better app for watching youtube videos besides the native app?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

gradenko_2000 posted:

People like NewPipe because it allows background playback, but you have to sideload it and it doesn't support accounts, so you won't have access to your subscriptions.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

NewPipe is a good option, especially for older/slower devices. Full featured, pretty much YT red equivalent with no ads and no need to login. I think it's only available via Fdroid and/or side loading?

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sweart gliwere posted:

I think it's only available via Fdroid and/or side loading?

Correct. Google would never allow it on the play store.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

People like NewPipe because it allows background playback, but you have to sideload it and it doesn't support accounts, so you won't have access to your subscriptions.

I used newpipe and works well but I hate not being able to log-in into my google account. Windows Phone had a couple of good youtube 3rd party apps that allowed accounts and had built-in video downloaders but you know, WP is dead...

Can anyone recommend me a good file transfer app? Just via wifi to avoid usb from my pc to my phone, Asus file manager comes with a "connect to this local IP" but the UI is kind of klunky and doesn't let me just drag and drop.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Guillermus posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good file transfer app? Just via wifi to avoid usb from my pc to my phone, Asus file manager comes with a "connect to this local IP" but the UI is kind of klunky and doesn't let me just drag and drop.

I've had good luck with Wifi File Explorer.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Crossposting from the Android phones thread because I'm not sure which one is the more appropriate place:

So after working without issue for God knows how many years, Google Calendar suddenly stopped sending push notifications for reminders and events. I'm missing/forgetting important poo poo because of this.

It was fine until I took a trip to visit family which involved crossing five time zones and having my phone off or in airplane mode for extended periods of time. That seems like something that would cause it to poo poo the bed? Now that I think about it I upgraded to Android 9 during this trip. That's probably what did it.

My phone is a Pixel 1 and here's my OS info:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

Crossposting from the Android phones thread because I'm not sure which one is the more appropriate place:

So after working without issue for God knows how many years, Google Calendar suddenly stopped sending push notifications for reminders and events. I'm missing/forgetting important poo poo because of this.

It was fine until I took a trip to visit family which involved crossing five time zones and having my phone off or in airplane mode for extended periods of time. That seems like something that would cause it to poo poo the bed? Now that I think about it I upgraded to Android 9 during this trip. That's probably what did it.

The new version of Android attempts to protect you from notification spam and can be over aggressive about it. Go to the notification settings and see if it's accidentally disabled some of the notification categories for the app.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Mak0rz posted:

I'm still getting calendar notifications on my Pixel XL, so I don't have a good explanation for you. Have you tried creating a new test event and seeing if a fresh one successfully notifies you? Not that redoing all your events is ideal, but maybe it'd at least indicate if it just messed up your existing events.

I suppose you could also try uninstalling and reinstalling Calendar (make sure your stuff is synced on the web or whatever first).

Sorry, that's the best I've got.

Edit: fishmech's idea makes more sense than mine. That's a good place to start.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Welcome to my life. Around the release of Nougat, GCal stopped sending me notifications. And I was on a phone running KitKat. When I upgraded my phone to one running Marshmallow, I still had the same issue. That phone got stolen, I got another just like it to replace it, and the version of GCal that came preinstalled started sending notifications. Since then, I have not updated it, because I don't want it to screw up again.

This is the verison that's working for me.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

The new version of Android attempts to protect you from notification spam and can be over aggressive about it. Go to the notification settings and see if it's accidentally disabled some of the notification categories for the app.

I dug around in settings and found this:

But when I actually looked into it I saw that none of the radio buttons were actually selected:

Still didn't seem to work after I picked one, though :sigh:

incogneato posted:

Have you tried creating a new test event and seeing if a fresh one successfully notifies you? Not that redoing all your events is ideal, but maybe it'd at least indicate if it just messed up your existing events.

Yeah tried it after enabling the option above. Still nothing. Neither reminders for scheduled events nor the "red Reminders" work.

Kheldarn posted:

Welcome to my life. Around the release of Nougat, GCal stopped sending me notifications. And I was on a phone running KitKat. When I upgraded my phone to one running Marshmallow, I still had the same issue. That phone got stolen, I got another just like it to replace it, and the version of GCal that came preinstalled started sending notifications. Since then, I have not updated it, because I don't want it to screw up again.

This is the verison that's working for me.

I dunno. I'd prefer to not roll back if I can help it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

I dunno. I'd prefer to not roll back if I can help it.

So far, it's the only option I've found that works. If you find another, please share.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kheldarn posted:

So far, it's the only option I've found that works. If you find another, please share.

I scorched earth the loving thing. Cleared all of the app's data, uninstalled updates, even removed the widget I was using. Restarted the phone and suddenly I got a notification for one of the test reminders!

I updated the app again and it still seems to be working. I don't know if it'll keep behaving, but I guess I'll find out eventually.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm not getting email notifications, I only really noticed it today when I saw your post about the calendar.

I think it must have something to do with my setup when I switched from my OG PixelXL to the Note 9.

I have Google Inbox installed, which I didn't use on the Pixel, but as far as the options go it *looks* like everything is set up to notify?

The app is connected to my account properly; all my emails show up in it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Whoa, this Messages new interface update. Did the font change too or am I crazy?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Yesss I finally got the update!

Yeah, it's the Pie font, I like it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Actually the new Messages app sucks because they got rid of custom colors :mad:

Also I'm... not receiving texts since updating it. What the gently caress.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah that's the server side switch I mentioned above in the device thread. Ever since I got it, messages won't send and just say Sending... forever. After a day or two I'll get the red text "Not sent, tap to retry" which also will fail after another couple of days.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Whoa, this Messages new interface update. Did the font change too or am I crazy?

All of Google's apps are transitioning to Product Sans.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 7, 2018

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Mak0rz posted:

Actually the new Messages app sucks because they got rid of custom colors :mad:

use Textra

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LastInLine posted:

Yeah that's the server side switch I mentioned above in the device thread. Ever since I got it, messages won't send and just say Sending... forever. After a day or two I'll get the red text "Not sent, tap to retry" which also will fail after another couple of days.

This one?

LastInLine posted:

Messages no longer sends SMS. When the server-side update to Messages was flipped a couple weeks ago giving it the new UI, it stopped sending SMSs entirely for me. They'd just silently fail, regardless of signal strength or whether it was done via the web interface or the app. When the change was reverted the problem went away. Now the problem is back. Third party apps work fine, except I never use my phone to text, I always use the web. I guess no more texts for me.

My problem was just receiving them. They would send just fine without issue. After bleaching the poo poo out of it I managed to get it working again, thankfully. By that I mean I force stopped the app, uninstalled the updates, deleted all the app's data, restarted the phone, and then updated it again.

Then I got my entire backlog of texts once I finally received one, but only one contact at a time. Ridiculous.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

This one?

My problem was just receiving them. They would send just fine without issue. After bleaching the poo poo out of it I managed to get it working again, thankfully. By that I mean I force stopped the app, uninstalled the updates, deleted all the app's data, restarted the phone, and then updated it again.

Then I got my entire backlog of texts once I finally received one, but only one contact at a time. Ridiculous.

Yep, same one. I have to do the same procedure you outlined except the switch gets thrown again in a day or two and the problem comes back.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LastInLine posted:

except the switch gets thrown again in a day or two and the problem comes back.

Looks like I might have some frustrating day ahead of me. I may actually start using Textra again afterall.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I have a working theory for what the problem is (and it would be my fault if I'm right) but I can't check until it gets updated again. Part of me thinks the timeline for my theory isn't right but I have to wait to test.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mak0rz posted:

I scorched earth the loving thing. Cleared all of the app's data, uninstalled updates, even removed the widget I was using. Restarted the phone and suddenly I got a notification for one of the test reminders!

I updated the app again and it still seems to be working. I don't know if it'll keep behaving, but I guess I'll find out eventually.

Update: it didn't :sigh:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Mak0rz posted:

Update: it didn't :sigh:

I had the same thing happen to me with the Calendar app a year or three back. I ended up missing a meeting at work and having to pay a no-show fee for a doctor appointment. I don't remember if there was something I did to fix it or if it fixed itself, but I know how frustrating it is.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What does Google Fit have to say about me bopping up and down at a rock show while downing beers?

Checks out.

Edit: I didn't blank out my map data. Don't assault me!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Huh, I got a new album, added it to my mp3 folder, and Google Play Music uploaded it to the cloud.

I see it on the web, but it's not showing up in my library on my phone app. Wtf?

Edit, nevermind. Refreshing the library manually fixed it.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 8, 2018

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Google Fit decided that I need to adjust my goals as I haven't been meeting them. I work retail and spend 8h+ a day on my feet at work but obviously don't carry my phone to record this. It wanted to adjust it to just 20 mins a day.

I get that I appear sedentary but still I was insulted.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I get that your complaint isn't entirely serious, but you should get a Fitbit or one of the Mi bands

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The YouTube app updated for my and there is a new dark mode. Rejoice, edge lords and goths!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Grahhhh Facebook's desktop drag and drop interface for rearranging photos is really cumbersome when your album has hundreds of photos. It takes me minutes just to move one picture because I have to drag it down dozens of rows, which also have to load. Anyone know a good app that lets me do this more easily? My intention is not to order by date, it's a custom order, so it can't just be an app with "order by date" on it.