Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I was not expecting the 9 Chickweed Lane crossover and hope this is as far as it goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
All that guy needs to do is punch him in the mouth, which will cause him to lower his arms and reveal the band-aid on his belly button which can be struck for massive damage.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I just think hippomouth looks too much like Mr. Magoo in that third panel to take him seriously.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

I can't believe he ate the whole thing.

Going by their weird ominous dialogue, gonna double down on aliens.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Why they speak.

In such way.

Short phrases.

Such a pain.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

"flag on the moon. how did it get there?"

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Brought To You By posted:

Why they speak.

In such way.

Short phrases.

Such a pain.
the ominous dialogue is actually pretty decent; nobody would be complaining about it if it wasn't in Strange Flailing Plotlines

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The final chapter really is the best time for all this

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It doesn't seem to be showing up on the site

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
this is why you have to outline your stories ahead of time, this would have been a good scene to start the story with. if the story had actually been about the conspiracy, which it wasn't, it was about clevtrick

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm laughing at how he had a big meal and he's clearly tuckered out and ready to nap

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Elephant Parade posted:

the ominous dialogue is actually pretty decent; nobody would be complaining about it if it wasn't in Strange Flailing Plotlines

Yeah I was absolutely certain this was gonna immediately wind up having been ~a dream all along~ so whatever this is is already miles better than it has any business being

Still holding on "the Conspiracy really is a ZOG analogue of shifty outsiders lording over us from the shadows as per every fascist's wet dreams, and Allison will ultimately defeat them with the Mighty Fist of Whitey"

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
my passion for this comic has rekindled now it's been confirmed to be on its deathbed, i've really enjoyed the fundamentally harmless kind of fable of hubris and sexual frustration that has been the short sad life of strong female protagonist

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

all action occurs offscreen

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
and the graceful arc of this thread from love to hate has been beautiful to behold, bless all you wonderful creatures. and nobody got doxxed or stalked or harassed in any way except for when i briefly killed, cooked and ate mulligan irl. a bss success story

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Clevin will defeat old vore man by feeding him all the pasta.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Elephant Parade posted:

It's not though. It's extremely cliche and has very little impact, because there's no atmosphere to make it work. I hate (I actually love) to compare this comic to Hellboy, but Mike Mignola is a master of taking these kinds of short phrases with ominous implication and making them actually very creepy, and he has to employ a host of methods to do that. Weird camera angles, oppressive gloom, word balloons worming around corners, all the tricks that make sequential art stand well.

Though honestly 'pastel babyman says A Meal Now... What Then?' would never work. Because of the soft light and color, the lack of dynamism, the total lack of atmosphere and also the pointlessly archaic and High Drama word pairs.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What am next?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That table still only has two legs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait a loving minute

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Synthbuttrange posted:

wait a loving minute

weird. It being a trace or copy/paste isn't really offensive, given that it's internet comix, but why not copy over many of the other details?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's cool that they solved(?) the mystery of who had taken over Patrick's superminion network while he was out conspiracy hunting, but I'm not really clear what they were doing with that network. There was graffiti-ing Menace's silhouette on buildings and... taunting Cleaver into attacking Alison? Were they hoping vandalism and one incident of mild super-villainy would make Patrick bust through their wall?

Anyway, what other plot points are still left dangling and would ideally receive some resolution by the end? I count the conspiracy, the fake professor, the threat from Max's mom, maybe Mary's apparently ongoing stab crusade, a possible love triangle with Alison/Clevin/Patrick, Alison's dad having cancer, and the success/failure of Alison's app service.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WAIT WAIT EVEN MORE I JUST REALIZED WHAT ELSE WAS BUGGING ME

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What am I looking at here

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Joe Slowboat posted:

It's not though. It's extremely cliche and has very little impact, because there's no atmosphere to make it work. I hate (I actually love) to compare this comic to Hellboy, but Mike Mignola is a master of taking these kinds of short phrases with ominous implication and making them actually very creepy, and he has to employ a host of methods to do that. Weird camera angles, oppressive gloom, word balloons worming around corners, all the tricks that make sequential art stand well.

Though honestly 'pastel babyman says A Meal Now... What Then?' would never work. Because of the soft light and color, the lack of dynamism, the total lack of atmosphere and also the pointlessly archaic and High Drama word pairs.

Mike Mignola's version of this whole chapter so far would be two pages.

And both of them would be like 50% black ink, at least.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Burkion posted:

What am I looking at here

Thats one single chair pasted into three spots.

Then the whole scene got copied and pasted again.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

Mignola is one of the top five artists in comics easily and Ostertag struggles daily with the basics of anatomy, perspective, and motion so this comes off like declaring a four-year-old's macaroni art is no Vermeer

she just made you a little heart man, say thank you and leave it on the fridge for a couple days

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 7, 2018

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Mignola is one of the top five artists in comics easily and Ostertag struggles daily with the basics of anatomy, perspective, and motion so this comes off like declaring a four-year-old's macaroni art is no Vermeer

she just made you a little heart man, say thank you and leave it on the fridge for a couple days

My point is that Mike "Hellboy" Mignola has to go all-out to make this kind of thing ominous. There's a whole variety of tricks available to give something like this more weight; Cliches aren't bad but they do require real skill to breathe life into dead, beaten horses. Mignola has that skill, and that's unusual, while the SFP crew absolutely refuse to recognize that they don't have that skill.

The combination of the comic's tonal ambitions and their total lack of effort to realize those ambitions just really stands out here.

EDIT: I'll put the heart on the fridge when it has red glitter on it, and some ribbons, and not before.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
happy threatened species day everyone

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Synthbuttrange posted:

WAIT WAIT EVEN MORE I JUST REALIZED WHAT ELSE WAS BUGGING ME

okay, what the gently caress. I can see that it's just one "plane" of it, that the depth was added per case, but...why?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

okay, what the gently caress. I can see that it's just one "plane" of it, that the depth was added per case, but...why?

Honestly given how hard Ostertag seems to have checked out of the art except when drawing weird monsters, I'm mostly surprised it took this long to see obvious copy-paste jobs to fill in that unnecessary background detail.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

copy/pasting would've avoided the incredible shapeshifting c---

THE CUPS WERE FORESHADOWING

GENIUS

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the more I look at the scene the more amazed I am

like theres only an inch between the chair seats and the underside of the table yet suit guy is somehow squeezed in there.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

shapeshifter

all the dots are connected. everything was canon

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Recycled art elements, which ehhh :shrug:

It's not super super great but ehhh there's much bigger things to complain about with this comic.

e: It''s a good catch though and interesting to see

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The old man is Cotton Hill, the lady is Lisa Simpson, and the thumb man is Charlie Brown.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Sticking to my theory of first gen super dudes :hai:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TheHan posted:

I can't believe he ate the whole thing.

Going by their weird ominous dialogue, gonna double down on aliens.

If you had told me you swapped thumbelino and cragface lady's faces around on photoshop I'd totally believe you

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The comic still has time for this. In many final acts, there's a sense of, say, urgency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

Nah, the suit man was just using full sentences one page ago. Having them suddenly start speaking in this clipped speech makes no sense and comes across as dumb. This sounds better.

quote:

"A fool?"
"No...a believer"

bald guy enters. Steps gingerly over a small scrap of shredded clothes.

"so it turned into a meal then?"
"and the trail is still cold."

Bald guy looks at suit guy

"what next then?"

"We need the trickster"
Just add a few words to make these phrases less like a staccato.

• Locked thread