Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
New problem: one of the other tenants in the studio space I rent was selling a used kit and I ended up the proud owner of most of a used PDP 805 set. I went from 10, 12 and 14" toms and a 20" bass drum to 13, 16 and 18" toms with a 24" bass :fap:

BUT

I'm having a hard time getting my new giant floor toms where I want them to be able to play comfortably:

I've got the 13" hanging off a cymbal stand just above the snare and that's OK, but I'd like to do something similar with the 1st floor tom on the left so that I can scoot the 2nd floor tom more towards the front so I'm not having to twist around so much to hit it. I'm not even sure how I would suspend a drum that big over the corner of my bass, is there a certain type of clamp or mount I should be looking for? Or will drums that size just not work on a cymbal stand and I need to start investigating a rack system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Best thing I'd suggest is to move your ride forward and put the second floor so it's more like it's to the right of the first floor rather than behind it. Never tried it with sizes that big but it worked with a 14"/16" pair.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Honestly I kinda don't like the way Rob Brown does his lessons since they're so rambly (I usually put them on 125%-150% speed on the rare occasion I decide to watch them), but he has some really solid advice on tom setup. 2x floor tom setup comes 30sec after the timestamp I dropped you at.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Now when you say 'solid' do you mean it in the jazz sense? Like, "Hey that jazz solo was really solid, man."?

I kid, but that bit of the video you pointed out was basically exactly the advice I was looking for:

Moving the big floor tom further away makes it... easier... to reach? What sorcery is this? LRLR is still a little awkward but I no longer feel like I'm about to dislocate my shoulder when I try to play a song with a bunch of 8th notes on the big drum, so :thanks: for that.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Takes No Damage posted:

Now when you say 'solid' do you mean it in the jazz sense? Like, "Hey that jazz solo was really solid, man."?

I kid, but that bit of the video you pointed out was basically exactly the advice I was looking for:

Moving the big floor tom further away makes it... easier... to reach? What sorcery is this? LRLR is still a little awkward but I no longer feel like I'm about to dislocate my shoulder when I try to play a song with a bunch of 8th notes on the big drum, so :thanks: for that.

This is how I've set my double floor toms up for years and was going to suggest. Think about it: you hit and go around the toms in more of a wide arc than tight and kinda behind you like the 1st way you had it

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Yeah everything is great advice so far. I have a 24 inch bass and 16 and 18 floors too. It mainly takes the right set-up and a bit of getting used to. You're going to need to get used to swiveling in the throne. Get the seat in the right spot. Your second floor looks a bit too far to the right (imo). And as said, that ride seems to be in a pretty awkward spot (imo again). But cymbal placement is probably one of the most subjective considerations of drumming. Unless you're one of those people that reach for cymbals, behind you, over the shoulder. Then I judge!!

I like doing the trick of sitting in the "right" spot, closing my eyes, and putting drums where my hands naturally want to go.

I put the first floor tom almost touching the bass drum. The next one behind it and to the right enough to where it feels right. Then practice something like slow 16ths with a metronome. RL on the snare, RL on first tom, RL on first floor, RL on second floor. And then seamless go RL on the second floor and work your way back up oppositely. Gradually speed up as comfortable. Also LRLR or paradiddles. Or pretty anything in Stick Control.

Switching to oversize drums is weird at first. But, I can't imagine going back. It's a big of disadvantage (imo), kinda harder to move around swifty (imo.....), Totally worth it for the huge sound in a big room.

What kind of music are you doing?

e: Also I'd definitely say to raise and/or angle that rack tom in a way to move it closer to the center of the bass drum. That seems like a hell of a lot of distance from there to the first floor, and that's probably a big part of your problem. Best of luck! :)

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 22, 2018

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No current picture, but just yesterday I did try moving my ride over into the giant blank space that now exists over my bass drum, so it's much more centrally located now and so far I'm digging it. I always had trouble hitting the bell because it was so far to the right I couldn't see it clearly while also keeping an eye on my sheet music.

As far as floor tom placement, that's pretty much as close as I can possibly get them. My right leg almost touches both my snare and floor1, and floor2 is maybe 1/2 inch from touching floor1. And I agree tom1 seems like it would be a long way off from floor1, but tom1 is so deep if I tried to move it any more over the bass drum I'd have to start angling it way up to clear the shells and I feel like that would be like playing on a more vertical surface than would be comfortable.

Whenever I move something I'll play a song that has a bunch of tom sweeps to check angle and positioning (lately Joker & the Thief). I'm actually finding it still feels pretty comfortable/natural to move down the toms where they are now, these lanky arms are good for something after all :c00lbert:

I'm *preettttyyy* sure everything's where I want it now, if I remember I'll try and get a quick video of that song tomorrow and see if you guys think anything is still horribly out of place.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm *preettttyyy* sure everything's where I want it now, if I remember I'll try and get a quick video of that song tomorrow and see if you guys think anything is still horribly out of place.

As long as you can play comfortably, and aren't getting any weird pain or discomfort anywhere, you're probably good to go! :)

Have fun. :)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Things still feel comfortable, but now that I really pay attention to it toms 1 and 2 do seem a bit far apart, especially with 2 and 3 being so close together. About the only thing I think I could do for that is angle my bass drum more to the right and get tom 1 more towards the center. Kind of like this guy has it:

I've always had the bass straight in front of my right leg, but it's not *wrong* to have it off at a 'wide stance' angle as long as your leg is still in a natural position, right? I'd still like the sound of my old 10" tom, if I could keep it in the mix and have 2 up 2 down that would be pretty cool.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

As long as your feet are in line with your thighs you should be good. Here's a pic of me from two minutes ago on a cajon hybrid kit I'm playing in a musical this month

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rt4tlr0ob0iao3w/IMG_0303.JPG?dl=0

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Two bass drums is an entirely different set-up to work around.

I'm not going to say it can't be done. But I tried hanging two toms around with a 24 inch bass drum and imo it's just not worth it. No amount of angling or moving the bass drum or other stuff really worked, felt practical, or comfy. 24 inch bass is a big beast.

I switched to only mounting toms on cymbal stands years ago. I was just trying to picture how one of the bass drum tom mounts would look like on a 24 in bass drum. I guess that exists? Nope for me either way.

Then there's the option of a rack, which won't make your bass drum any smaller, but more options for angling (maybe?). But then you end up with a freaking drum rack which is the timeshare of drums.

Takes No Damage posted:

but tom1 is so deep if I tried to move it any more over the bass drum I'd have to start angling it way up to clear the shells and I feel like that would be like playing on a more vertical surface than would be comfortable.

Yeah, it's tough with one drum and now you're going for two?! Haha. Sorry. :) It's just the big fat bass drum. When I switched, I didn't realize how much difference two inches made until finagling drums/cymbal stands/etc. around.

There's no "wrong" way to set up any drums really, but imo getting two toms over a 24 inch bass comfortably is a tall order

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 7, 2018

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

fzA455 posted:

getting two toms over a 24 inch bass comfortably is a tall order

:rimshot:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fzA455 posted:

There's no "wrong" way to set up any drums really, but imo getting two toms over a 24 inch bass comfortably is a tall order

Yeah getting a drum actually over my new bass is not gonna happen, it's something I've never had to deal with since my previous kit had the 2 tom mount built into the bass itself so positioning and stand-foot-management wasn't an issue before. Since my floor toms are more in front of the bass I think I could angle it a bit to the right, which would let me scoot tom1 further in front of my snare. I'd probably have to swing my crash1 off to the left but I've had it pretty close to the HH before and that was comfortable. I'll play with it this weekend and see what I can come up with.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

It's ironic that a 24 inch bass drum is too big for what you want to do. But, if you have TWO 24 inch bass drums, the snare is centered and there's room for a million toms. The drummer's paradox.

Your first tom is on a cymbal stand with cymbal right? You're not trying to squeeze another stand base in there?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Right, it's on a clamp to the crash stand. My current goal is to try positioning my bass as if I did have 2 bass drums and see if that clears up enough space in the middle of the kit without completely screwing up my feng shui on the right side.

e:
The only drummer paradox I'm seeing is that too many drums are almost enough :rimshot:

Angled my bass off to the right, mashed my old tom2 on the left side to become new tom1, this is what I've come up with (I also stumbled across my phone's panorama feature, so that helps):

2nd floor tom (tom4?) did get pushed a little but further out, but I think at this point I just need to get used to swiveling to the right a little bit when I'm over there, I've never had to do that before so it will take a little getting used to I'm sure. Please excuse my unbelievably ghetto denim tom dampeners, MoonJel is on my list :)

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 13, 2018

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I was gonna wait to post this once I had some new hardware and a pic of the kit fully set up but I've been real busy and wanted some feedback.

I bought a Gretsch Catalina Jazz shell pack about a month ago for a few reasons. 1) I'm in a house now and have a spare room and wanted a little jazz kit I could practice my jazz stuff on whenever I felt like it instead of driving to my rehearsal space. 2) I've never owned two kits at once so I decided to get something that would contrast my Ludwig Centennial (24 kick, 12 rack, 16 floor) that I mostly use as my live rock kit and is only set up at my rehearsal space. 3) I started playing with some friends in a Beatles cover band and I've had at least 2 gigs now where the Ludwig was just overkill for the space we played in.

A couple things I'm concerned with:

I bought new Evans G1 heads for both toms to get a brighter jazz sound and tuned em up. Worried about this not being great for other applications than Jazz. Will be practicing this weekend with Beatles band to see how it works. All the research I did about this particular kit pointed to using single ply to get the best sound. Anyone have any better results?

The kick riser to allow the pedal beater to hit in the center of the 18" kick pushes the pedal back a bit requiring the beater to over extend to make contact with the head. Playing light jazz hasn't bothered me too much but it's definitely different. Is this something people just get used to playing with or is there a workaround to make it feel more natural?

I also want to get some cheaper cases for this kit if I start using to gig for these Beatles shows. I have Protection Racket for my Ludwigs and they are great but I don't really want to drop half the price of the Gretsch just on cases.

Anyway, here's a pic of the kit after I put it together.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Hell yeah! It seems like you have versatile drums! There's really no jazz-only drums. You just have ones that as you said, won't blow out a venue like your larger drums (Their problem :lol: ).

Even the 18 inch kick isn't too small for rock gigs imo. They mic it! As far as mounting one of those riser things, I have no idea though. Hopefully there's better options or adjustments available! :ohdear:

I think those G1 heads are the right choice and also very versatile with a wide tuning range and all that.

Cases, I'd be patient and look around on your local craiglist or Facebook marketplace or whatever. Those are always coming up in my area.

Kit looks great and I bet it sounds great and is perfect for jazz, Beatles covers, pretty much anything. :)

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

So pretty much all of my concerns about the new kit vanished after I took it up to my rehearsal space. I always forget how much my rehearsal space has an effect on drum sounds. Kit sounds great. I ended up tuning down the rack a bit to get a more rock sound for Beatles covers. Had a gig outdoors in a small triangle stage and the first thing one of my band mates said when I showed up was "good thing you have that small kit now" because there wasn't a whole lot of room. Our sound guy mic'd everything up and they sounded really great.

Still looking for cases. Unfortunately, drum sizes make it hard to find a set of bags that will work without buying individually. I did find these but from what I understand, they're really not all that good. https://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/humes-berg-catalina-bag/drum-bag-sets

Probably better than nothing because transporting drums with no cases for the first time in like 8 years was real dumb and when you're trying not to scuff up your stuff, it just makes packing the car that much more difficult.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

It took me this long to notice but that's from the music video for The Colour Out of Space isn't it

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Any of you have a sample pad? I just picked up an SPD-SX and am looking for more ways to use it besides a metronome and sound effects.

Regarding sound effects, where do you get your samples? One I could really use right now is a solid anvil, the closer to the one just after 1:25 here the better. I spent two hours sifting through samples on freesamples.org and google searches and didn't find anything sturdy-sounding enough :\

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Hey I remember you from the jazz shitpost chat

Maybe try watching some of those blacksmithing videos on YouTube, you could probably get a clean sound from there and EQ it a bit.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

New New Fresh posted:

Hey I remember you from the jazz shitpost chat

Maybe try watching some of those blacksmithing videos on YouTube, you could probably get a clean sound from there and EQ it a bit.

lol, ofc goons are into shitposting. will check them out now since I have an awkward two hour gap between shows so I can't really do anything of note

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Jazz Marimba posted:

Any of you have a sample pad? I just picked up an SPD-SX and am looking for more ways to use it besides a metronome and sound effects.

Regarding sound effects, where do you get your samples? One I could really use right now is a solid anvil, the closer to the one just after 1:25 here the better. I spent two hours sifting through samples on freesamples.org and google searches and didn't find anything sturdy-sounding enough :\

A small company out of Berlin, DE, named Koma makes an amazing field recording kit with multiple types of microphones that is relatively cheap for a boutique item. I do a lot of industrial recordings of motors and poo poo like that. It's got great quality and as you move forward you might want to record your own stuff.

https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=field-kit

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

New New Fresh posted:

It took me this long to notice but that's from the music video for The Colour Out of Space isn't it

Yeah it is. Bass player is pretty appropriate for today as well.

HORROR AND TERROR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JY89ZxVqEg
DARKNESS AND MADNESS

In other Halloween news, remember when I was blowing up the thread a few weeks ago trying to figure out how to position my new bigger toms around my new 24" bass? I think I got it pretty well figured out, and this is one of the songs I was saving until I had a really big floor tom to ride on. I have to swivel around to the right a little bit but I think that's normal, and it doesn't feel too unnatural or twisty to hit the center of the drum so that's probably all you can hope for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM1KG51InFA

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I love songs like this. You hear them often and think the part is really simple but when you actually play it, or see someone play, you can really see how intricate it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRM2Gn9nU7Q

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
*listens to a song on the radio for decades*
"Yeah I can drum this, let me just look up some tabs, maybe a concert clip on Youtube or something..."
:stare:
---Me, like every other day

I'm currently trying to visually transcribe this to sheet music, but the breakdown at 2:10 is eating my lunch :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlOCTJOXG18

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
what's a good resource for learning afro-latin styles? i currently have a cabasa and a double shaker.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

So I got an SPD-SX for the musical I just wrapped up, and now that it's no longer tied up at the theatre I'm exploring the features it has beyond basic sample playback.

And honestly what the gently caress, Roland.

This thing is amazing, but when I first got it I had to dig out an old USB cable to transfer my samples to it cuz they couldn't be bothered to include one. And tonight me and the guitarist from my mathmetal band were messing with it and like. The effects knobs are labeled 1 and 2. That's it. And the manual says 'knob 1 will control one aspect of the selected effect, and knob 2 will control another'. :pseudo:

Turns out there's a whole book for the effects. But they couldn't include it in the box, or even as part of the owners manual.

I am baffled at their willful incompetence :wtc:

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm currently trying to visually transcribe this to sheet music, but the breakdown at 2:10 is eating my lunch :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlOCTJOXG18

Here ya go. :salute: :)

I put the floor tom on the "an" of 1 in parenthesis. It looks like Josh Freese may be doing it live? It's hard to tell. It's a cool groove with or without it. I wrote it without that extra tom hit underneath.

I think what threw you off is when the version you posted changes cameras, it looks like he's reversing, going hi tom, low tom, and leading with the L hand instead, on beats 3-e. (like alternating a bit back and forth...) But I don't think he's actually doing that. And Josh Freese live doesn't look to be doing that either. So that pattern just repeats this single measure. Most important part is keeping up the groove and intensity.

Good luck! :) Josh Freese rules. Such a cool-rear end driving groove.

e: I didn't notate accents, but they're pretty obvious. :)

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 20, 2018

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

And I've been making fun of guitar plays for adding more strings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i70BF8fgUEQ

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FART BOSS 420 posted:

Here ya go. :salute: :)

I put the floor tom on the "an" of 1 in parenthesis. It looks like Josh Freese may be doing it live? It's hard to tell. It's a cool groove with or without it. I wrote it without that extra tom hit underneath.

I think what threw you off is when the version you posted changes cameras, it looks like he's reversing, going hi tom, low tom, and leading with the L hand instead, on beats 3-e. (like alternating a bit back and forth...) But I don't think he's actually doing that. And Josh Freese live doesn't look to be doing that either. So that pattern just repeats this single measure. Most important part is keeping up the groove and intensity.

Good luck! :) Josh Freese rules. Such a cool-rear end driving groove.

e: I didn't notate accents, but they're pretty obvious. :)

Yooo thanks for this, reading along with the song this is obviously what he's doing (or pretty close), but just hearing it blind I could never parse out what was going on. I probably should have started with a full bar of 16th notes, then blocked out the counts where there weren't any notes, then gone back and charted out the remaining beats individually. I'm totally putting that 'extra' floor tom note on my 2nd floor tom, one of the most fun things I've been doing lately is trying to reinterpret songs to work in the bigger drum.

This is like a puzzle game where you solve one and then it's so obvious what the solution was the whole time :downs:

Bonzo posted:

And I've been making fun of guitar plays for adding more strings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i70BF8fgUEQ

This is now a normal person would have written Hot for Teacher...

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hi drum goons is OP accurate with respect to books? because I decided to buy that stick control book just to start developing chops. I haven't played since I was in high school 12 years ago (and I wasn't formally trained then anyway) and I just want to do something more than beat on my steering wheel on my morning commute.

I figured that book plus some sticks and a practice pad along with a metronome app would be a good place to start developing to maybe possibly play again when my kids are grown and my hair is completely gray.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Careful Drums posted:

Hi drum goons is OP accurate with respect to books?

Very.

I started in the early 80s and Stick Control was really old then. IMHO, this book should come with every kit or snare drum purchase. The other books are older too but technique is technique and there's a reason they are still around.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bonzo posted:

Very.

I started in the early 80s and Stick Control was really old then. IMHO, this book should come with every kit or snare drum purchase. The other books are older too but technique is technique and there's a reason they are still around.

Cool. I love old super-reliable poo poo so that sounds very much my jam.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Syncopation is one of the older ones, but literally everyone I know has gone through it at some point, and I even own a copy, but I've just never done anything with it. It might good a good next step or companion to Stick Control, both supplemented with a teacher if possible.

Honestly I sourced the books in the OP from what my teachers have had me buy, books I've picked up along the way and liked and now use for teaching, and what my colleagues have recommended. Let me know if you come across anything cool and I'll check it out. I know Virgil Donati came out with a double bass book recently...I should prolly borrow it from my housemate and add it to the OP at some point :effort:

edit: lol there are so many fewer books in the OP than I thought. I might update it this week

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 5, 2019

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Anybody ever used DrumTune Pro for Android?

I saved a drumset that was sleeping in my dad's garage over Christmas - It's an old 2-tom Tama Swingstar set (high + floor) + 1 mid Pearl Tom. I decided to try and clean it up a little - I removed all the hardware from the shells and left it to soak in water + CLR. I'm planning on putting it back together this evening but I'm not sure how to go about tuning the drums and mobile applications seem like a good idea if they truly work. Otherwise I guess I'll just go by ear but I'm not too attracted to that idea.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I usually just go by ear, personally.

What kind of sound do you want? Not sure how old those drums are but if you want a more open, classic sound, then look on eBay/Craigslist for some old rims. Modern rims are a bit thicker and weigh down the head slightly. Older rims are lighter and allow the head to resonate a little more. If you're triggering it won't matter though.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Replace any heads that have dents or scrapes/scratches. Replace the snare batter head unless it's already brand new. Def checking that app out tonight

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMEx8CkRDiM

Maybe for demo purposes he's doing it slower and maybe I'm old but I can more or less do the same by tapping and head with my finger and turning the key as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
yeah but then you're not disrupting the paradigm