Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Why do so many people play smurfs then get angry they have new players on their team? Did they just expect only bad people to be on the other team or something?

Thanks for the support advice Btw, I can't afford anyone atm so I'm playing lux as support and having some success although it's difficult to forget how weak I am compared to the builds I run playing mid. I think I'll go with Leona when I've saved enough up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

Why do so many people play smurfs then get angry they have new players on their team? Did they just expect only bad people to be on the other team or something?

Thanks for the support advice Btw, I can't afford anyone atm so I'm playing lux as support and having some success although it's difficult to forget how weak I am compared to the builds I run playing mid. I think I'll go with Leona when I've saved enough up.

I usually go along the Grail line when playing support Lux, since it's hard to build up the raw AP needed to make the scaling on Luden's proc worthwhile and it takes forever to actually finish building unless you're snowballing. Grail -> Ardent or Grail -> Shurelya's is an extremely efficient two item spike that also keeps you at a healthy level of mana regen. After that, you can either build more for team utility with Redemption/Mikael's/etc. or build into items like Spellbinder/Void/Deathcap if your team needs more raw AP damage.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 5, 2018

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mega Comrade posted:

Why do so many people play smurfs then get angry they have new players on their team?

its because they're lying, or they're "smurfing" from silver or whatever and not good enough to carry a bronze game, or gold to silver or whatever.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

For those of you that don't read the e-sports thread, Vermain unveiled the secret identity of the illustrious Enigma89. It is actually CVMax, head coach of LCK summer finalists, Griffin:

quote:

Anyways, to wash the bitter taste of Sunday out of our mouths, here's an interview with CVMax, Griffin's head coach. He was apparently a fairly infamous toplane streamer in Korea who was known for going two whole seasons without purchasing wards and still making it to Challenger (to the point that he'd sometimes buy a ward, go to lane, and then sell it when he recalled in order to trick people into thinking that he broke his own streak). He's got a very unique coaching style, which I think fits well for a team of underdogs.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

milkman dad posted:

For those of you that don't read the e-sports thread, Vermain unveiled the secret identity of the illustrious Enigma89. It is actually CVMax, head coach of LCK summer finalists, Griffin:

we.. doxxed him?!?1/1/1/1

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hey, let's be fair: Enigma89 actually does drop (a limited amount of) wards. CVMax legitimately did not buy a single ward for two full seasons except to prank the enemy team. High Challenger in Korea in season 2/3 was some loving weird stuff.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega Comrade posted:

They're doing it on purpose. They're not that good and they're trying to dump on people on purpose. That's pretty much it. Almost every person I know who started playing League "late" had to deal with them, and yes they pretty much create smurfs with the intent to dump on people and willingly act surprised at how bad these low level players are.

I've seen the type before multiple times. One was a work colleague of a friend of mine who was the regular average guy at work and he found out that the guy was a massive rager in-game, went through the usual process of creating a smurf because he was locked out of his true Elo in his main account, at which point he had also been banned before for toxicity a few times. He admittedly said it was fun to crush on newbies and put them in their place. Ultimately that guy got permabanned on his main account, banned multiple times on his smurf account and put on low priority queue so he decided to create a third account and by then my friend changed jobs so I have no idea what happened with that guy, but my guess is that he got banned again.

Also I think I mentioned this before when I was talking about Eloboosted clients but I distinctly remember playing with a few of them on their smurf accounts and the amount of people who took that opportunity to insult the enemy team was pretty high. At which point I'd tell them I don't like helping ragers and then they go on about "but they deserve it", "but these guys are noobs" and so on.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I've played around 100 bot games, back when there were ~100 champions I played about one bot game per champion over the years and while the vast majority of these games were silent over the years I noticed a few patterns related to the bot-only player culture.

1) They get genuinely mad when someone changes lane to push. I >think<, and this is a guess, but I think they see the match as a competitive game to see which one of the 3 lanes get to win first. The majority of them get mad through pings but I've seen a few go insanely angry and use every bad word at their disposal. That's a huge exception, but it was like there wasn't much in-between "I don't care" and "overwhelmingly angry". This started as a very small % of the game but over the years I'd say grew to 20-25% of the matches.
2) As an extension of that, there were in 4 or so matches l30 people who took their sweet time to bully the gently caress out of low level players who were having a hard time at lane. These were all met with the other players calling them out on their poo poo and turning against them which shows there's still hope.
3) At least half the last 20 or so matches had people beg others not to finish the match, especially people who just got fed. These are the players I think are finally living their "endgame fantasy" as Riot puts it and get super frustrated that people are hitting the nexus instead of farming the bots for minutes at end.

Also, 5 or so times people asked what my border was, once a guy got really impressed by my "gold" border (it wasn't gold :argh:) and was like "HOLY poo poo WE HAVE A GOLD PLAYER" and one time someone who didn't know anything about borders said "Oh wow we have a Game Master in our match" which was kinda shobon.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Vermain posted:

I usually go along the Grail line when playing support Lux, since it's hard to build up the raw AP needed to make the scaling on Luden's proc worthwhile and it takes forever to actually finish building unless you're snowballing. Grail -> Ardent or Grail -> Shurelya's is an extremely efficient two item spike that also keeps you at a healthy level of mana regen. After that, you can either build more for team utility with Redemption/Mikael's/etc. or build into items like Spellbinder/Void/Deathcap if your team needs more raw AP damage.

I'm currently following this for support lux.

https://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/8-17-support-light-em-up-im-on-fiyaa-luxe-n-style-530121

My build item knowledge at the moment is non existent so it's pretty much search for builds, pick one that's got lots of up votes, hope it's not trash.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Elentor posted:

3) At least half the last 20 or so matches had people beg others not to finish the match, especially people who just got fed. These are the players I think are finally living their "endgame fantasy" as Riot puts it and get super frustrated that people are hitting the nexus instead of farming the bots for minutes at end.

in my experience these are the dudes who hardcore flip out and rage the most. career bot game players can get really weird and its a bummer that due to a lot of circumstances new players are likely to run into raging "smurfs" or the career bot game weirdos

Mega Comrade posted:

https://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/8-17-support-light-em-up-im-on-fiyaa-luxe-n-style-530121

My build item knowledge at the moment is non existent so it's pretty much search for builds, pick one that's got lots of up votes, hope it's not trash.

mobafire is almost always trash and usually outdated trash, use blitz.gg to see builds. it has a little unobtrusive client that will actually pop up and tell you skill orders, rune pages and item builds for champions. failing that just copy whats on probuilds, once you get a hang of things more you'll start to get a feel for what items you want to buy and when and why.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, for the most part the general toxic playerbase is in your average LoL match but the angry bot-career players were surprising to say the least.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

Looks fine to me, for the most part. I'd take Absolute Focus over Transcendence for better lane pressure and midgame power, since you're only going to overcap on CDR with a full utility build (re: no DCap), and the era of Lux having horrendously long cooldowns on basic abilities is past us.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I don't play support lux, but I imagine going Font of Life would be pretty good as well, if the opposing lane isn't particularly nasty and you really need Bone Plating.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Smol posted:

I don't play support lux, but I imagine going Font of Life would be pretty good as well, if the opposing lane isn't particularly nasty and you really need Bone Plating.

Font of Life isn't very good, unfortunately. You're building next to no HP as it is, it doesn't apply its effect to you, and the bulk of the healing is going to get lost once you get to midgame due to rising attack speeds. Bone Plating lets you take much better trades consistently, regardless of how tough or easy the lane is. If I'd go something else in the Resolve tree, I'd replace Revitalize with Chrysalis in super bursty lanes that I need to survive in.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
If any Goons that don't rage wana play please add me Enigma89

I am looking to add more people who play around 6:30-10pm EST on 'school' nights.

Thank you very much.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Elentor posted:

Also, 5 or so times people asked what my border was, once a guy got really impressed by my "gold" border (it wasn't gold :argh:) and was like "HOLY poo poo WE HAVE A GOLD PLAYER" and one time someone who didn't know anything about borders said "Oh wow we have a Game Master in our match" which was kinda shobon.

I played a bot game to test my ping last night and when we loaded in, the support saw my plat border and said "Diamond mid wtf"

The first ranked game I played after that, someone saw my summ icon (silver from season 2) and said "Is that the S2 diamond icon?" and when I said no, it was silver, they told me that was bullshit cause THEY had the silver icon from season 2 and it looked nothing like that so it had to be diamond.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

pahuyuth posted:

I think you used to (or still can?) be able to get in an AA with Singed's Fling ability as they're being tossed.
You still can, but it's not an auto reset. It just so happens that the way the spell handles the target hitbox lets you get an attack in.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Camel Camus posted:

I played a bot game to test my ping last night and when we loaded in, the support saw my plat border and said "Diamond mid wtf"

The first ranked game I played after that, someone saw my summ icon (silver from season 2) and said "Is that the S2 diamond icon?" and when I said no, it was silver, they told me that was bullshit cause THEY had the silver icon from season 2 and it looked nothing like that so it had to be diamond.

In Bot Games, the only one who underestimates your True Elo is you!

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
practice tool also shows your ping, fwiw.

unless you just like beating up on bots

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
https://twitter.com/secretgamergrrl/status/1037905176793960450?s=21

lol riot games sucks rear end why do y'all still support this garbage game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

The article in question, and everything resultant surrounding it, was already discussed, at length, in this thread. I'm unsure what the purpose of your post is beyond self-righteous grandstanding.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Well the fact they fired someone and apparently the place is on fire internally still is news to me.

I hope Blitz becomes a permanent mode. They need to add more crazy poo poo and its replaced aram for me.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

wow, that's the first i've heard of this!!

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Vermain posted:

The article in question, and everything resultant surrounding it, was already discussed, at length, in this thread. I'm unsure what the purpose of your post is beyond self-righteous grandstanding.

It's a twitter thread.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah maybe people should actually click the Twitter link instead of kneejerk posting.

That's all insanely hosed up, and I hope the entire management structure of Riot resigns/gets fired and raked over the coals

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

they had recently hired a company that has a long and storied history of union busting so it seemed like things were gonna go this way, its not surprising but its still disappointing

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dancer posted:

It's a twitter thread.

One which doesn't contain much else to usefully commentate on. Things like neo-nazis terrorizing employees and an anti-trans blacklist are horrible, but it's effectively impossible to say how much Riot as a company is directly culpable with them, given that it's an anonymously-told second hand story on Twitter without the sort of multiple verified sources and external support that made the Kotaku article credible.

Super Librarian posted:

That's all insanely hosed up, and I hope the entire management structure of Riot resigns/gets fired and raked over the coals

They should've been gone a long time ago. It's pretty clear they've mismanaged the company badly, both in terms of corporate culture and financials/future R&D. The idea of companies as private fiefdoms run by dictators-for-life is gonna lead to these results every time.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 7, 2018

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

FASCISTS

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

As for why we still support the game I'm not sure Riot management would lose any sleep over the maybe $50 (probably an overestimate) the thread regulars spend on the free to play game every few months. Also no-one here's playing the game under the pretense that Riot is anything but a festering hive of poo poo.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Vermain posted:

They should've been gone a long time ago. It's pretty clear they've mismanaged the company badly, both in terms of corporate culture and financials/future R&D. The idea of companies as private fiefdoms run by dictators-for-life is gonna lead to these results every time.

They're generally not, and Riot is not, but in this case the Chinese overlords are inclined to not interfere as long as the money's still coming in.

Edit: Although yes I agree the company seems to be poorly managed in the extreme.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Here's something new to sink our teeth into: Daniel Z. Klein and Mattias Lehman are no longer working at Riot, and are being exceptionally coy about whether they were fired or not. Klein got into an intensely heated Twitter debate with multiple persons after the PAX panel, and Lehman, who was as a communications associate, tweeted out his support of him. I think either scenario - that they were fired, or left of their own accord after realizing that their stance wasn't gaining traction within the company - is plausible, though it's a bit weird that they won't say if they walked or were shoved. Maybe Riot's got some kind of NDA for firing?

Losing Klein's a pretty big deal, given that he was probably the most vocal (public) voice for progressive issues within the company, and I don't doubt he was agitating internally for changes as well. I agree with Elentor that the PAX panel could've been handled better, and that Klein's decision to get into mudslinging probably wasn't the wisest decision, but letting him go is a bad move if you're trying to show you're actively working towards an internal change of culture. Hopefully we'll get some clarity from them at some point.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
hahahahahahha oh man gently caress Riot

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This reeks of the same "how dare you be rude to people on Twitter who we're going to assume are players and paying customers even though they're probably neither" bullshit that Arenanet pulled a few months ago. loving spineless.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I'm pretty sure the reference to one of the firings in the Twitter thread was Klein, especially given the mention of his partner getting fired previously. Riot is definitely a garbage company, I just like playing this dumb game for idiots a lot...

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Not gonna lie but I'm not going to miss Klein at all because he sucks. I'm glad for Lucian and Kench but he also made Taliyah and his prima donna poo poo is absolutely insufferable, so gently caress him

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

njsykora posted:

As for why we still support the game I'm not sure Riot management would lose any sleep over the maybe $50 (probably an overestimate) the thread regulars spend on the free to play game every few months. Also no-one here's playing the game under the pretense that Riot is anything but a festering hive of poo poo.

If I stopped playing every game made by an arsehole developer I'd just give up and stop playing games completely.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I mean, just about any dev of any non-indie game is going to have some sort of sins, even if they're just the capitalist variety.

That said, "not, as far as we know, prone to intimidation and/or purges of people who advocate for women's or LGBT concerns" is a bar that many developers are able to clamber over.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Servaetes posted:

Not gonna lie but I'm not going to miss Klein at all because he sucks. I'm glad for Lucian and Kench but he also made Taliyah and his prima donna poo poo is absolutely insufferable, so gently caress him

But it seems like they fired him for speaking out against bigotry/calling fans out on their poo poo when someone really needed to do this

You can dislike a guy and think that firing him for speaking up is worse

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mega Comrade posted:

If I stopped playing every game made by an arsehole developer I'd just give up and stop playing games completely.

I mean, I should stop playing videogames. It would ultimately make me a better humam being. Wish I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The devs for Dead Cells seem cool. Please don’t tell me anything to the contrary.