Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
I don't have any birds but I like watching Bird Content online, and I swear these might be the most :3: birbs I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSbDYMvs6w8

What kind are they? The eyes make me suspect some flavor of conure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
they look like golden conures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7NKJzrmGC8

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

underage at the vape shop posted:

a long time ago i posted really guiltily about shimi, my ringneck that ive had since i was a kid, who was pretty wild. shed attack me through the cage without a second thought and freak right the gently caress out whenever I put my hand in there to hang a toy or something. I've been trying to get her to be more calm and shes let me scratch her through the cage for quite a while now. The other day I tricked her into standing on my hand, which she didn't get scared of for a a few seconds after I stopped scratching. I actually saw it click in her mind, she looked at my hand and was like, "I'm standing on his hand. Oh HOLY gently caress IM ON HIS HAND". Today, she ran enthusiastically from 1 side of the cage to the other when I called her for scratches, and i stuck my hand in the door and she let me scratch her with only a little hesitation. I was convinced I couldn't give her a good life, I was going to give her to a breeder or an aviary owner or something. I'm really glad I didn't.

Congrats on the new birb-friend. May you have many scritches together.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I wish lowering a bowl onto my head made me so happy

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Or shoving my head in a bell and yelling

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tendai posted:

Try it sometime, it's surprisingly therapeutic :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tsaedje posted:

I wish lowering a bowl onto my head made me so happy

How will you know if you never try it? :colbert:

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Feather floof Fridays?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can smell the cockatiel dust from the incoming post-preening floofshake :3:

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

Raised By Birds posted:

What kind are they? The eyes make me suspect some flavor of conure.

Queen of Bavaria aka Guaruba guarouba aka golden conure. Very expensive, rare as pet birds. My wife's great white buffalo bird.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

they are so happy!!!

I am saving this for when I have my really down days, if that can't make me smile at least a little, I don't know what would.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Tendai posted:

It does help, however...

I am no longer welcome in the city of Philadelphia.

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
I'm always so happy to be able to come in here, see a bird being cute, read a good story. :3:

In the interest of giving back, Dr. Kepler figured out how to scratch himself. It's the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
My bird demands kisses whenever I speak to him. My bird also learnt how to feign wanting kisses when he's feeling cheeky and wants to give me a chomp.

He's been saying "Baaaaby biiiird" more often. He doesn't sound like an olde timey radio like I find budgies normally do, it still sounds like it's composed of birdy sounds but it's clearly "Baaaaby Biiiird". He said it like every 10 minutes when I had a pal over!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra, being my third cockatiel, is the first to learn to POOP ON COMMAND!

I just say in a really high pitched voice, "Wanna poop?" and bend my knees. She caught on in about a week.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Key word should have been donald.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/VneR6bf.mp4

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The most cockatiel of conures, apparently :allears:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I thought golden conures and Nanday conures were closely related but dang, mine def does not have a tongue like that. I was looking at this on mobile and all the little chirps and squeaks and singing :3:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shirec posted:

I thought golden conures and Nanday conures were closely related but dang, mine def does not have a tongue like that. I was looking at this on mobile and all the little chirps and squeaks and singing :3:

The weirdest tongue I've seen on a bird is from the lorikeet family.

The got fuzzy tips!

The drink only nectar which means evolution deemed it worthy to grow brushes to lap up the sweet stuff as fast as possible.

Also an all liquid diet means their poo poo is like a squirt gun and they do it everywhere and at any time; Even if they are on the side of a cage

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
rainbow lorikeets are really nice birds though, very friendly in a mental kind of way

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

EVIL Gibson posted:

The weirdest tongue I've seen on a bird is from the lorikeet family.

The got fuzzy tips!

The drink only nectar which means evolution deemed it worthy to grow brushes to lap up the sweet stuff as fast as possible.

Also an all liquid diet means their poo poo is like a squirt gun and they do it everywhere and at any time; Even if they are on the side of a cage

We used to have a thread regular whose lorikeet was named Squirt.

For exactly that reason.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0nDYkJbGog

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

We used to have a thread regular whose lorikeet was named Squirt.

For exactly that reason.

The lorikeet we had was a Stella Lorikeet. It was friendly where you could gently scoop it in your hands and roll it across the bed. But the call it did was nowhere as cute. It made a call like that was just a long sharp "Eeeeeeeeee". That's it. No song or variance or anything. I think it mumbled something else but it was a long time ago.

Found a video of the Eeeeeeeeee. The melanistic one does it twice.

Unlike most birds with different colors, it does not suggest sex of this Lorikeet. A bird is randomly melanistic or red. If black (actually the deepest purple you can think of that looks great in the sun) there is a slight difference in color between sex where the female has a green back while the male has a red black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxoFs-tYBOo

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 9, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lorikeets are the prettiest bird I'd never want to own. They are cuties tho.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Lorikeets in general just love to ((((screm)))). If you live in an area where they like to sleep at night (big trees near shopping centres are their natural habitat) you will know they can be literally deafening when it's time to choose a place to nap.

Rainbow lorikeets at least also enjoy eating meat if they live near people and have access to barbecues and picnics to steal from. Like many parrots they are herbivorous mostly because plants are very slow. If delicious meat didn't usually try to get away from their beaks they would eat it a lot more often.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Kookaburras also love to steal barbecue food but they are carnivorous in the wild (their favourite food is baby birds and eggs, hence why other birds freak out if they see a kookaburra nearby), so people don't act as horrified when they see them slurping down sausages.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Lorikeets in general just love to ((((screm)))). If you live in an area where they like to sleep at night (big trees near shopping centres are their natural habitat) you will know they can be literally deafening when it's time to choose a place to nap.

Rainbow lorikeets at least also enjoy eating meat if they live near people and have access to barbecues and picnics to steal from. Like many parrots they are herbivorous mostly because plants are very slow. If delicious meat didn't usually try to get away from their beaks they would eat it a lot more often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J_XfehQxxo

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

also corellas

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Those golden conures have the silliest voice I've heard. amazing

I think I managed to find a cage that seems ok. 28x18x28 inches, with a perch and opening on top as well as a big door in the front, with a sort of landing platform. Hopefully I'll get to pick up the cockatiel tomorrow :0
I need to find some sort of UV lighting setup for the little fellow though, as the arctic winter is approaching with zero sunlight... Curious about a solution like this http://www.arcadiabird.com/e27-compact-lighting-unit/ or possibly one of those aviansun floormounted lamps.

Truck Stop Daddy fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 9, 2018

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Such majesty.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Isn't it magical how birds will never sneeze until they put their head next to your eye?

Ask me how I know.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

That's mostly a cockatiel thing, I've found. They're particularly dusty (and sneezy) birds.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Enigma posted:

That's mostly a cockatiel thing, I've found. They're particularly dusty (and sneezy) birds.

Ehhhh, I've gotten my fair share of conure sneezes right in my face. Bird sneezes are weird

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Enigma posted:

Budgies do it, too!

birds just love to sneeze

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

So I am chilling in my new apartment (new as in moved in a month ago, but still unpacking), with Sammy and Kiwi. I have way bigger window ledges than I ever have before, and am way higher up. So I set Sammy down near the window, figuring he'd love a look (Kiwi has already solidly refused to move my from shoulder because she is 100% wanting to be on me all the time).

He does enjoy the window for a bit, licking it and whatnot as you do, but then the biggest discovery of all! His shadow!

He keeps bobbing his head back and forth, trying to touch and looking at me

I think it's the first time he's ever seen it so clearly like this? So now if he's on the sill, he's just sitting over there and vogue-ing and seeing the pattern it makes (if he's connecting that dot at all)

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
I am not home for the next couple of weeks, but my wife managed to get a video of Bonny running through almost all her sounds. Did I ever mention that Bonny was completely tone deaf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTacfSaBzdY

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Shirec posted:

So I am chilling in my new apartment (new as in moved in a month ago, but still unpacking), with Sammy and Kiwi. I have way bigger window ledges than I ever have before, and am way higher up. So I set Sammy down near the window, figuring he'd love a look (Kiwi has already solidly refused to move my from shoulder because she is 100% wanting to be on me all the time).

He does enjoy the window for a bit, licking it and whatnot as you do, but then the biggest discovery of all! His shadow!

I think it's the first time he's ever seen it so clearly like this? So now if he's on the sill, he's just sitting over there and vogue-ing and seeing the pattern it makes (if he's connecting that dot at all)

If he's making that connection, it's a pretty big deal. That's Theory of Body and is one of the big demonstrations of animal intelligence. They test it on dolphins and great apes by using colored and invisible markers and a mirror

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

If he's making that connection, it's a pretty big deal. That's Theory of Body and is one of the big demonstrations of animal intelligence. They test it on dolphins and great apes by using colored and invisible markers and a mirror

Haha probs then he is just enjoying the mystery shadow. Sammy is my bright boy but he’s certainly not at the self actualizing level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Shirec posted:

hahahaha how cute :allears: Ama is like this with mirrors, he loooves sitting on my shoulder while I do my hair or makeup and flexing at the mirror :lol:

Shirec posted:

Sammy is my bright boy
hm apparently I am not the only one who refers to her GCC with super proud yet patronizing affection.