Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

Nah, the suit man was just using full sentences one page ago. Having them suddenly start speaking in this clipped speech makes no sense and comes across as dumb. This sounds better.

Just add a few words to make these phrases less like a staccato.

Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Yeah the dialogue actually works here, assuming they’re alien either literally of metaphorically why would they bother communicating like natural english speaking humans when it’s just them?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know what's kind of silly

Presumably these are our real villains. Our BIG threats.

yet their apparent leader can't eat one whole guy without getting all tuckered out.

Boy I can't wait to see what kind of threat these fucks pose to some one that is invincible and also a quarter their age!

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Nah, the suit man was just using full sentences one page ago. Having them suddenly start speaking in this clipped speech makes no sense and comes across as dumb. This sounds better.
I mean, a page ago they were trying to act like normal people in front of another normal person. Assuming they find clipped speech more comfortable, it makes perfect sense for them to begin using it when they're alone

e: forgot to check the next page, lol

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

TheHan posted:

Yeah the dialogue actually works here, assuming they’re alien either literally of metaphorically why would they bother communicating like natural english speaking humans when it’s just them?

Why have them speak english at all and not their native language? Why not have the page filled with some eldritch speech with a single english phrase "the trickster" in english since their language has no comparable phrase and just leave us to wonder what is being said and create a more intriguing atmosphere?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Why have them speak english at all and not their native language? Why not have the page filled with some eldritch speech with a single english phrase "the trickster" in english since their language has no comparable phrase and just leave us to wonder what is being said and create a more intriguing atmosphere?
- because we, the readers, do not understand alien
- because... gently caress, I dunno, there's a hundred explanations. maybe they aren't actually aliens, just hyper-evolved humans who can glean full meaning from half a sentence of speech! maybe their (basically) human bodies can't pronounce the alien tongue! maybe they're scared of being recorded or spied upon!
- because what's on the page is a valid and acceptable artistic decision

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ahhhhhh this is so boring I don't carrrrre

Hey want to read a good comic that executes some of the themes of this comic much, much better? Go read Oh Human Star. It's like this only instead of "what if superheroes but female" it's "what if robots but gay also transgender". And it's about personal relationships and identity instead of alien villains or whatever the hell these are. And it's good.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Nah

Like, everything sucks but their language getting all weird while the old guy naps off his tryptophan low is effective in a technical sense

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

well done, you are a worse writer than the creators of internet comic Strong Female Protagonist

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

- because we, the readers, do not understand alien
My favorite iteration of the Kamen Rider franchise is the 2000 series 'Kuuga'. In it, a group of ancient monsters awaken to slaughter humanity and prepare the way for their leaders revival. They are suit monsters, but also have the ability to shapeshift into humans and they do so to infiltrate society and blend into the masses. They speak both fluent japanese as well as their native language Grongi. Grongi itself is a cipher of the japanese language meaning you swap out letters or in this case syllables since that's how the Japanese language works. So on top of it being a japanese dubbed show that I an using english scripts to understand, now there is a new language that isn't recognizable to me.

There are entire scenes where these creatures will gather and speak among each other in full Grongi or shout at the main character and while there is a grongi script available with the current iteration of subtitles, my first and second watch of the series didn't benefit from it. It was always a mystery as to what exactly was being said. Meaning there are numerous scenes where I can only discern meaning based on the context of the episode itself, and the actions of the creatures as they converse with each other. And recently when I did finally use the grongi scripts I was surprised to find that my impression of what was being said was accurate across many of the conversations presented. Obviously I missed fine details but the meaning carried through.

My point is the reader not speaking a language isn't an excuse because it works. And unlike say, the Cone heads, at least the guy in the suit has a complete command of the english language and grammar structure so him suddenly dropping that just makes it sound awkward. And if they did try and do what I'm suggesting and use some fake language, it would require more involved staging and composition which is something this series isn't known for anymore as people can't just stand and talk at each other when the reader doesn't understand the language.

quote:

- because... gently caress, I dunno, there's a hundred explanations. maybe they aren't actually aliens, just hyper-evolved humans who can glean full meaning from half a sentence of speech! maybe their (basically) human bodies can't pronounce the alien tongue! maybe they're scared of being recorded or spied upon!
According to them this room is shielded from telepathic interference and it's presumably a location they have set up. Who could be bugging them or spying on them? Maybe they were lying about psychic shielding but we have no way of knowing.

quote:

- because what's on the page is a valid and acceptable artistic decision
Do I get the possible intention? Sure. Does it sound good? Not to me, no.
I'm saying it reads as awkward and stilted and not in a way that makes them properly ominous. I will admit there is a lot we don't know as to the groups dynamic. Maybe the suit guy is the only one who has a complete grasp of human language. Maybe this is a one-off scene and they will never speak like this again. Maybe the writer just thought this line delivery would sound cool. It didn't work for me and knowing the series, the answer we will eventually get will not be worth giving them my good graces.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Mulligan has exactly three modes of dialogue: idiot speeches, laconic meaninglessness, and snark.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
There is an interpretation of the Pandora myth, wherein hope is not a balm and mercy that the gods granted to mankind, but rather the final and worst misfortune of all. If mankind has hope, he will go through tragedy time and time again because he believes that perhaps this time can be different, this time things might work out and things may be alright, over and over as his dreams are dashed and he returns to the depths of despair, lead there by his own folly and weakness. Instead of just ending it all he endures: hope is the catalyst for future disappointment and suffering.

On an unrelated note this is kind of interesting guys, maybe the comic will get good this arc?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So that was real? And the dude just fuckin' ate the CEO of a top company as if there weren't multiple witnesses who knew about the meeting and even saw him go to it? Not fuckin' rocket science to follow that trail.

What was that business about recognizing a dossier about then? I thought it'd be like a mental representation of the deleted/suppressed memories or some poo poo. Why would you expect somebody to recognize the outside of a goddamn folder like it was a face?

Art-wise, the geography of the room and how all these people are moving around is confusing and wildly inconsistent. The table/chair arrangement

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

A long Kamen Rider thing.

The main difference between this example and SFP is that Kamen Rider has the benefit of 30 FPS. You can only convey so much with comic panels even with it being a visual medium, and there were two major beats to hit.

- Clarify that Patrick’s stooge really was loyal to Pat.
- Set up that there are other antagonists we’re about to see, and that they are duplicitous.

Both things that are gonna require at least some legibility for the reader. You can parse what the Grongi are doing since not only are their goals pretty straightforward but you can read their body language and infer context from that.

Plus it gives some wiggle room later on, if Thumbelina starts belting out some Klingon it’s gonna give away the game and all we’ve learned is “they aliens”. But as it is readers get to speculate, and be invested. Really one of the better pages I think.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

TheHan posted:

The main difference between this example and SFP is that Kamen Rider has the benefit of 30 FPS.
You can parse what the Grongi are doing since not only are their goals pretty straightforward but you can read their body language and infer context from that.
Completely fair. We don't know the aim of this group or anything else really since if they are responsible for this conspiracy their goal is still somewhat nebulous. Even without motion it is possible to have people not use english and talk amongst each other and get a point across. Whether sequentially or in motion and whether or not a key or translation is given to the reader for later clarity.

Paranatural does this although the language here implies possible allegiance rather than who is human for obvious reasons. But when people need to speak english they use complete sentences that sound natural. When they need to slip into black speech they do so also in complete sentences.

And the question still remains. Why do three individuals who might not be human default to shortened english phrases in absolute privacy if English isn't their native language. If this is meant to prolong the reveal I can accept that, but that doesn't change that I still think the presentation of the dialogue doesn't really make them sound ominous, just silly.

quote:

- Clarify that Patrick’s stooge really was loyal to Pat.
- Set up that there are other antagonists we’re about to see, and that they are duplicitous.

Both things that are gonna require at least some legibility for the reader.
The former is accomplished when he starts laying down a false trail about Patrick being some russian biodynamic. The latter is accomplished when he eats the Stooge after testing the last piece of his knowledge regarding that folder, we know that at best they might have kept him alive if he knew something valuable. This page doesn't add anything in those regards.

quote:

Plus it gives some wiggle room later on, if Thumbelina starts belting out some Klingon it’s gonna give away the game and all we’ve learned is “they aliens”. But as it is readers get to speculate, and be invested. Really one of the better pages I think.
Whether they start speaking alien gibberish now or later we already know something is wrong with them since they are all visibly old and still using powers when only the 20-ish crowd is supposed to be capable of that. And even before this people were speculating aliens because facts didn't add up. three word sentences just sounds awkward when normal english speech would be fine at this point if you want to hold off on people speaking Romulan.
All you really need to convey is that the bald guy wasn't phased by his boss doing his best parasyte reenactment, and the woman points out they need a new lead. I think a guy being non-plussed about bodily dismemberment is more than enough to lay some groundwork for these people not being normal at the very least in the ethical department.

Speaking of Parasyte why is that guy so clean after eating a guy? There's barely any blood and I know from personal experience that eating a guy head first is messy. I'm not saying they have to go full on gore, but at least douse the guy's torso in some healthy blood, not just enough to make it look like he spilled some BBQ sauce when eating his business lunch. Even the floor looks spotless. I know backgrounds are taboo and must have the least interaction with character dialogue in this comic, but give us some change in the scenery to reflect what just happened.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what a fuckin thing to write a billion billion words on

Oxxidation posted:

well done, you are a worse writer than the creators of internet comic Strong Female Protagonist

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
youu’re putting waaaaaaaay too much thought into this my dude

Unless this is the true greatness of SFP, being so bland it forces you to make a more interesting story to fill in the blanks

SoupyTwist fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 7, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SoupyTwist posted:

youu’re putting waaaaaaaay too much thought into this my dude
It's been the mantra in this thread for years now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

What was that business about recognizing a dossier about then? I thought it'd be like a mental representation of the deleted/suppressed memories or some poo poo. Why would you expect somebody to recognize the outside of a goddamn folder like it was a face?

Quick, someone photoshop a Lisa Frank folder into that panel instead

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

paranatural can do it because zack is competent. also your example still has half of a coherent conversation from which we can infer strokes but not vital mystery details

strong female protagonist is not being made by competent people, so while they COULD have executed at a dramatically higher skill level than they currently seem capable of, this is the best thing they could've done

other people have already indicate that the kamen rider comparison falls apart because a webcomic doesn't have vocal tones or body language but i want to say it again just to have fun getting in the dog pile

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
To be fair SFP’s so slowly paced it’s a miracle any discussion happens in this thread.

But yeah, having not read a single page of Paranatural it does a pretty great job at giving you the basic info you need to at least infer enough to want to read more pages. SFP is at least in the same ballpark with their strange way of speaking, but there wasn’t nearly enough to work with since all three of these weirdos have all the info they need. In the Paranatural page the Doorman is able to act as an audience proxy since it doesn’t know what’s up with this kid either. You’re right that they could easily convey they’re all on the same page without everyone talking weird, but since our audience stand in got munched on Tuesday you’ve gotta get info to the audience somehow.

Would’ve been clever if the old man couldn’t make English words in his Langolier form, so he talked in their native tongue while the other two can only speak English in their skinsuits, but this is all still assuming they really are aliens and not just humans.

Also, from what I can remember Patrick’s stooge never once actually says Patrick’s name. So it was equally likely he was lied to as him being a devout follower.

Edit: ^ Yeah basically that in more words.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

My favorite iteration of the Kamen Rider franchise is the 2000 series 'Kuuga'. In it, a group of ancient monsters awaken to slaughter humanity and prepare the way for their leaders revival. They are suit monsters, but also have the ability to shapeshift into humans and they do so to infiltrate society and blend into the masses. They speak both fluent japanese as well as their native language Grongi. Grongi itself is a cipher of the japanese language meaning you swap out letters or in this case syllables since that's how the Japanese language works. So on top of it being a japanese dubbed show that I an using english scripts to understand, now there is a new language that isn't recognizable to me.

There are entire scenes where these creatures will gather and speak among each other in full Grongi or shout at the main character and while there is a grongi script available with the current iteration of subtitles, my first and second watch of the series didn't benefit from it. It was always a mystery as to what exactly was being said. Meaning there are numerous scenes where I can only discern meaning based on the context of the episode itself, and the actions of the creatures as they converse with each other. And recently when I did finally use the grongi scripts I was surprised to find that my impression of what was being said was accurate across many of the conversations presented. Obviously I missed fine details but the meaning carried through.

My point is the reader not speaking a language isn't an excuse because it works. And unlike say, the Cone heads, at least the guy in the suit has a complete command of the english language and grammar structure so him suddenly dropping that just makes it sound awkward. And if they did try and do what I'm suggesting and use some fake language, it would require more involved staging and composition which is something this series isn't known for anymore as people can't just stand and talk at each other when the reader doesn't understand the language.

According to them this room is shielded from telepathic interference and it's presumably a location they have set up. Who could be bugging them or spying on them? Maybe they were lying about psychic shielding but we have no way of knowing.

Do I get the possible intention? Sure. Does it sound good? Not to me, no.
I'm saying it reads as awkward and stilted and not in a way that makes them properly ominous. I will admit there is a lot we don't know as to the groups dynamic. Maybe the suit guy is the only one who has a complete grasp of human language. Maybe this is a one-off scene and they will never speak like this again. Maybe the writer just thought this line delivery would sound cool. It didn't work for me and knowing the series, the answer we will eventually get will not be worth giving them my good graces.
lol if you thought for even a second that I would respond to this wall of poorly-thought-out :words:

your suggestion posted:

"A fool?"
"No...a believer"

bald guy enters. Steps gingerly over a small scrap of shredded clothes.

"so it turned into a meal then?"
"and the trail is still cold."

Bald guy looks at suit guy

"what next then?"

"We need the trickster"
you really are a worse writer than the SFP guy :laffo:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, haven't we learned a thing from Thor 2 that having your villains be literally unintelligible isn't actually interesting.

Like I know the obvious punchline to this is that it wouldn't be interesting anyway in this comic, but you're arguing for less characterization because it would be "logical".

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 7, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Patware posted:

other people have already indicate that the kamen rider comparison falls apart because a webcomic doesn't have vocal tones or body language but i want to say it again just to have fun getting in the dog pile
You know I conceded the first point correct but only so much as that series used vocal inflections that you can hear as well as acting to give the viewer context? But are you telling me that a comic book can't convey body language? That you can't give the reader contexts as to tone and subject matter through visuals?

As for the page I posted, I just used what was already in my imgur folder. There are webcomics and regular comics/Manga that have used complete inhuman speech as a part of a story in varyong ways but finding a specific page was more a hassle than it was worth. But you could also just do what TheHan mentioned and have the old man gargling alien speech while everyone else speaks normal and then you have a direct comparison to that paranatural page.

Elephant Parade posted:

lol if you thought for even a second that I would respond to this wall of poorly-thought-out :words:
Cool story man.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I have never been angrier in my life than I am right now having been denied a page of sinister softboys saying "Bleep blorp gloop" to each other

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 7, 2018

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

But are you telling me that a comic book can't convey body language? That you can't give the reader contexts as to tone and subject matter through visuals?

SFP can't

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
A lot of you are expecting way more from this comic than it has repeatedly shown to be capable of :shrug:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm just waiting for the final wet fart of the comic only to be told that the fart happened 35 minutes ago

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I have never been angrier in my life than I am right now having been denied a page of sinister softboys saying "Bleep blorp gloop" to each other

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Flesh Forge posted:

A lot of you are expecting way more from this comic than it has repeatedly shown to be capable of :shrug:

I'm just amazed we've come full circle and now people are defending this comic from someone calling it bad and lazy.

Uncle Wemus posted:

I'm just waiting for the final wet fart of the comic only to be told that the fart happened 35 minutes ago

"You can't launch that app!"
"I launched it thirty five minutes ago"
And then sexism was over.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
what wind from yonder rear end in a top hat breaks

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Quick, someone photoshop a Lisa Frank folder into that panel instead

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Bad comic bad and dumb still. Also the only winning move with comics is not to play.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do you recognise this cookbook named Actual Tasty Italian Food Recipes

no

then we're done hREAL BIG DAD

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I'm just amazed we've come full circle and now people are defending this comic from someone calling it bad and lazy.
This has happened before which leads me to believe that we can expect the return of idonotlikepeas in the near future so the cycle can continue.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Much improved.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Nuebot posted:

"You can't launch that app!"
"I launched it thirty five minutes ago"
And then sexism was over.

The worse writer comment is not a compliment to the original writer.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ahhhhhh this is so boring I don't carrrrre

Hey want to read a good comic that executes some of the themes of this comic much, much better? Go read Oh Human Star. It's like this only instead of "what if superheroes but female" it's "what if robots but gay also transgender". And it's about personal relationships and identity instead of alien villains or whatever the hell these are. And it's good.

Hey! Just wanted to thank you for linking O Human Star. I binged it today and I really really liked it. Thanks! :)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Flesh Forge posted:

Stilted dialogue on the page? Deliberate choice by the author to convey that the characters are aliens speaking limited English, or author thought it sounded cool and ominous? Hmmm *makes teetering balancing motion with hands*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

We've already seen that that guy speaks fluent English when he's not sleepy from a big meal

• Locked thread