Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Has there ever been a movie where some time-travel shenanigans cause someone to lose and appendage and they don't react in horror?

If the past was changed, they would have a lifetime memory of that finger being gone. It's not like one timeline would make changes that hop over to another timeline.

It feels like there was a movie like this; a guy shows up in a scene missing an arm and it's never mentioned because, as far as everyone was concerned, he lost it years ago.

Not time travel, but the biggest "thing was changed and nobody mentions it because to them it was always that way" I can remember is the introduction of Dawn on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DecentHairJelly posted:

The stigmata scene is where that all falls apart.

Ah totally forgot about that part

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Coffee And Pie posted:

The movie left most of it out I think, but I recall John Dies At The End having some fun time fuckery (late in the book they make reference to a character who was there the whole time but gets erased from existence, which is why he’s never mentioned)

The movie didn't even touch on it.

I read the book when it was an website long-form thing with animated GIFs and all that. I haven't read it in print so this is going off of very old memories, which is ironic.

In the book, the shadow men painfully slice and cut people out of reality, consuming them, and everybody forgets they ever existed. They fade from photographs and memories.
John and David had a friend who worked with them on their occult investigations when they were younger and didn't take is seriously and he got erased. They are the only two who remember him at all and they often share stories of what the three of them did together because nobody ever will.

I will never forget the graphically written scene of the dental assistant who was murdered by the shadow men.

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah totally forgot about that part

Redeemed by strangling himself in the womb, though.
"gently caress this gay earth," indeed.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

rydiafan posted:

Not time travel, but the biggest "thing was changed and nobody mentions it because to them it was always that way" I can remember is the introduction of Dawn on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

One of the early episodes of Torchwood had something similar. The monsters of the week modified everyone's memories (or maybe time traveled. Doctor Who Universe) to pretend that they were part of the Torchwood team from the beginning. They even had slots in the opening credits. Since it was like the second or third episode, I wrote off the new character problem as having not learned who they were among the cast yet. It was handled in a pretty cool way, IMO.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Imagined posted:

If you live in one of the red countries, careful in that glass house...

What if we live in a country that literally isn't on the map :smith:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

bike tory posted:

Another entry for http://worldmapswithoutnewzealand.tumblr.com/

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://youtube.com/watch?v=HynsTvRVLiI

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

bike tory posted:

haha you gonna cry new zealand? Hey fellas check it out, new zewland having a sook!!!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nth Doctor posted:

One of the early episodes of Torchwood had something similar. The monsters of the week modified everyone's memories (or maybe time traveled. Doctor Who Universe) to pretend that they were part of the Torchwood team from the beginning. They even had slots in the opening credits. Since it was like the second or third episode, I wrote off the new character problem as having not learned who they were among the cast yet. It was handled in a pretty cool way, IMO.

Buffy also did that with the "Superstar" episode where perennial loser Jonathan made himself everyone's ideal person and leader of the Scooby gang.

The only thing I really remember about that episode is at the end, after they break the spell, and Xander says, "But if Jonathan was a fake, then who starred in the Matrix movies?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Has there ever been a movie where some time-travel shenanigans cause someone to lose and appendage and they don't react in horror?

If the past was changed, they would have a lifetime memory of that finger being gone. It's not like one timeline would make changes that hop over to another timeline.

It feels like there was a movie like this; a guy shows up in a scene missing an arm and it's never mentioned because, as far as everyone was concerned, he lost it years ago.
Not a movie but a video game, and only kind of, but Dishonored 2.

There's a mission where you travel to the past to witness an important event. Your main associate is missing an arm and eye as an indirect result of what happened that day; her friend disappeared and she was attacked looking for him. If you safely remove that friend from the proceedings in the past (and the game never even tells you you can do this), you'll return to the present to find her arm and eye fully intact. No one ever mentions anything because it's always been this way.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Aleph Null posted:

I will never forget the graphically written scene of the dental assistant who was murdered by the shadow men.

I've not read the book in a long time and I know some stuff was cut between web to book and even MORE was trimmed in re-releases. I remember the stuff about a 3rd friend, but nothing about the dental assistant. What happens?

My IIMM is how John and Dave are too handsome and charismatic in the film.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fringe had a whole season with the ‘person erased from timeline’ conceit as arc-story and it worked fairly well as far as I remember.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rick and Morty also had an episode where parasites were trying to take over the world (but were limited to the house), and they infiltrated by making you remember your past history with them. They were undone because the characters realized that they didn't have any bad memories about the parasite characters, since they were just trying to make you want to keep them around by being "attached" to them.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

More time travel stories need to gently caress about a bit more beyond the usual 'go back in time to change the future' plot

I ran an RPG for a few years and one of the major recurring NPCs was a daemon that kept popping up at different times/places. Time was linear for the daemon, but he experienced it in a different order for the players - i.e.: he remembered events that hadn't happened yet and similarly the players would remember him but he didn't recognise them because he was still early on in his personal timeline.

The first time the daemon met one of the players he went "how come you've got your eye back?" which of course led the player to believe he was immortal so long as he still had two eyes (a device shamelessly stolen from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). It was a running gag that the daemon, while extremely powerful to the point he was able to conquer entire cities by himself 'back in the day' (which could be past or future from the players' point of view), would inevitably do something to catastrophically self-own every time they ran into him, resulting in him going back to the equivalent of hell and then popping up elsewhere in the campaign.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jumanji 2: Welcome to the Return of the Jungle had time travel fuckery which didn't make any sense because one of the characters survives the game and is sent back in time to when he originally entered and happens to live in that same town at the same address and they all share a knowing wink and a couple of words and presumably never talk to each other ever again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A bit of a meta joke in that pretty much all of the parasites took forms strongly reminiscent of the wacky gimmick characters added to comedic nuclear families. Also, one of them was an actual wacky gimmick character retconned into the family that specifically threw them off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Jumanji 2: Welcome to the Return of the Jungle had time travel fuckery which didn't make any sense because one of the characters survives the game and is sent back in time to when he originally entered and happens to live in that same town at the same address and they all share a knowing wink and a couple of words and presumably never talk to each other ever again.

It's literally magic, and also pretty much exactly in line with how it worked in the original movie.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bike tory posted:

Are you a cartographer or a new zealander?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's literally magic, and also pretty much exactly in line with how it worked in the original movie.

Did Robin Williams go back in time too? I haven't seen the movie in ages but I thought the ending was different.

Welp :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah he goes back to the moment he used the game. He married the girl and they become successful, which gives them the opportunity to stop the parents of the kids from going on the trip that kills them.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 14:16 on Sep 7, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Did Robin Williams go back in time too? I haven't seen the movie in ages but I thought the ending was different.

Yup, that was kind of the point; you play the game and it can potentially last decades but once you win everything rewinds but you don't forget.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Robin Williams went back to being a kid. Kirsten Dunst and the other kid were still born but never played Jumanji, and Robin Williams was able to save their parents from dying in a plane crash or something because he knew they were orphaned.

In Jumanji 2, I just figure the 3 kids would be the only one to remember that the house was spooky, their entire timeline changed.
Time Travel is loving weird.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

AFewBricksShy posted:

Kirsten Dunst and the other kid were still born but never played Jumanji

I imagine most still born children are unable to play boardgames

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Guess I really need to re-watch Jumanji. Right after I re-watch Small Soldiers

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was a Mark Millar comic where a supervillain defeated the hero by travelling back in time and molesting him when he was a child, so that when they confronted each other in the future, he would have a psychological advantage over the hero.

Now, you may ask, "Why would anyone write that?" and the only answer I have is, "Mark Millar. :shrug:"

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Drunken Baker posted:

I've not read the book in a long time and I know some stuff was cut between web to book and even MORE was trimmed in re-releases. I remember the stuff about a 3rd friend, but nothing about the dental assistant. What happens?

My IIMM is how John and Dave are too handsome and charismatic in the film.

Dave is in the chair and the shadow men, who nobody else can see, start slicing of parts of the dental assistant's body. Blood everywhere, but only Dave can see it or hear her screams. Everybody else ignores it and acts like everything is fine.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The more I see that Fantastic Beasts movie the more irritated I get with Newt. That stupid loving look he always has on his face like he's a permanently confused toddler. Why do so many movies think "eccentric" has to mean whatever the hell childish thing they were going for with his character?

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Aleph Null posted:

Dave is in the chair and the shadow men, who nobody else can see, start slicing of parts of the dental assistant's body. Blood everywhere, but only Dave can see it or hear her screams. Everybody else ignores it and acts like everything is fine.

That definitely didn’t make it into the release version of the JDatE book. The shadow men only threaten Dave at the end, and from your description the third friend’s part is noticeably chopped down as well - there’s no mention of him during the main story, but Dave brings him up at the end while talking to the reporter in a “My memories tell me there were five of us - but I keep dreaming about the sixth guy who didn’t make it, and there’s nothing but the dreams to tell me he existed!”

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was a Mark Millar comic where a supervillain defeated the hero by travelling back in time and molesting him when he was a child, so that when they confronted each other in the future, he would have a psychological advantage over the hero.

Now, you may ask, "Why would anyone write that?" and the only answer I have is, "Mark Millar. :shrug:"

Her, not him. It was in The Authority, the villain in question is the evil Doctor and he does it to the Engineer. It's still less stupid than the booby trapped incestuous vagina baby, but then the entire of Nemesis was loving stupid and even the artist screwed up a lot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jedit posted:

Her, not him. It was in The Authority, the villain in question is the evil Doctor and he does it to the Engineer. It's still less stupid than the booby trapped incestuous vagina baby, but then the entire of Nemesis was loving stupid and even the artist screwed up a lot.

My mistake - I've not read it in a while and for some reason had the idea in my head that it happened to Midnighter.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

booby trapped incestuous vagina baby
:yikes:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The more I see that Fantastic Beasts movie the more irritated I get with Newt. That stupid loving look he always has on his face like he's a permanently confused toddler. Why do so many movies think "eccentric" has to mean whatever the hell childish thing they were going for with his character?

That's just what Eddie Redmayne's face looks like

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, what even the gently caress?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Guess I really need to re-watch Jumanji. Right after I re-watch Small Soldiers

Don't rewatch small soldiers it doesn't hold up lmao

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zaphod42 posted:

But I must.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Zaphod42 posted:

You shut your mouth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

marshmallow creep posted:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the girl is underage and her brother is gay. This robs the description of much needed context.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Armacham posted:

That's just what Eddie Redmayne's face looks like

He was originally meant to be Matt Smith.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah bro, Small Soldiers rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Mark Millar basically sat down to write the edgiest evil batman he possibly could and succeeded.