Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cowcaster posted:

wouldn't the corruption of an evil person be turning them good

Practically speaking it just means they get a second phase where they turn super saiyan double corrupted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

someone get chris metzen on the phone

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lordfrikk posted:

But we haven't seen anything yet

Post apocalyptic pizza delivery

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cowcaster posted:

wouldn't the corruption of an evil person be turning them good

sure is

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is the Burt Reynolds thing like Chuck Norris in that people like seeing references to him because he's a meme and not because they actually like him as an actor? I'm not trying to hate on a guy that just passed away, it just kind of baffles me how much people loved his appearance in Saints Row. Like, I saw one guy say it was his favorite moment in the whole series when they revealed the Burt was the mayor, whereas I was left going "ok? Is that the whole joke, or?"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Are you saying Burt was a bad actor? Rude

I mean personally I was more excited that Tim Trancer Thomerson showed up but that's because I have the best of all taste

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

corn in the bible posted:

Are you saying Burt was a bad actor? Rude

No, not really. I think the only movie I've ever seen with him was Cannonball Run, which was not awful but had some rapey stuff in it that definitely did not age well.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

haveblue posted:

Who corrupts the corruptmen?

The Void

There is also a Kickstarter up atm for a book cataloguing Vanilla WoW's development.
So if you're a bit of a gaming history buff, and a warcraft fan, this will probably be a good pickup.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's almost impossible for me to disassociate Burt Reynolds' image from Norm MacDonald's impression on SNL. Even though it was the lowest-effort impersonation ever, it was iconic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's part cult of personality because this guy starred in all your dad's favorite movies, part memes as everyone confuses him with Tom Selleck, and part Burt-loving-Reynolds.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1037904307197300736

We've finally captured the fact that above all else Spider-man is a fuckin' loser.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
In saints row 4 they replaced Tim as Cyrus's voice but then also in later scenes it's Tim Thomerson again so who even knows?

All I know is that Trancers is the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT3U-OurOOs

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The only thing I know about Burt Reynolds is that story from when he worked with Rockstar on a GTA game.

quote:

Nothing prepared them for their visit with Burt Reynolds, who played Avery Carrington, a real estate mogul in the game. Since the guys had grown up on the actor’s campy and macho classics – Smokey and the Bandit, Deliverance – they were psyched to work with him. Reynolds showed up ready to work and be treated like a star. Khonsari could see the disdain in his eyes, the attitude so many other actors copped about the medium. “They look at you like ‘Who the gently caress are you?’” he recalled, “‘You’re game guys.’” Khonsari had no qualms about putting actors in their place. “If you want me to break it down to you,” he’d say, “these games gross over half a billion dollars, more than all of your movies put together!”

Yet with Reynolds, he lost his nerve. Khonsari recalled how, after Reynolds cut his scene, Dan asked politely for another take. “Hey,” Dan said, “can you say that line again?”

Reynolds stared him down and muttered, “Say that again?”

“Can you do the line again?” Dan repeated.

“You know, you need to give people an ‘atta boy.’”

“An ‘atta boy’?”

“Yeah, people do something good, you gotta give them an ‘atta boy.’”

Khonsari and Dan shifted uncomfortably, having no clue what Reynolds was talking about at first—then realized he wanted a bit of acclaim before he did anything again. He wanted a “that a boy.” They redid the line, but Khonsari thought that Reynolds’s attitude only got worse. The studio grew hot, so hot he was sweating through his clothes. Unbeknownst to Reynolds, his manager had gone out to buy him a dry shirt. When the shirt arrived, Dan innocently approached Reynolds. “Oh, your shirt’s here,” he said.

Reynolds didn’t know the shirt was coming and must have thought Dan was insulting him for being sopping wet. “There’s going to be two hits here,” Reynolds told him, “me hitting you and you hitting the floor!”

Dan flipped, ready to cut Reynolds out of the game entirely. Khonsari intervened. “We got the performance,” he told Dan. “He’s a total cock, but let’s move on.”

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Question for the WoW fans: is World of Warcraft just an mmorpg "remake" of the warcraft games' plots or does it do its own story thing set in but separate from the warcraft games?

PantsBandit posted:

Is the Burt Reynolds thing like Chuck Norris in that people like seeing references to him because he's a meme and not because they actually like him as an actor? I'm not trying to hate on a guy that just passed away, it just kind of baffles me how much people loved his appearance in Saints Row. Like, I saw one guy say it was his favorite moment in the whole series when they revealed the Burt was the mayor, whereas I was left going "ok? Is that the whole joke, or?"

I really like smokey and a bandit, it is a good movie imo and everyone should see it at least once.

Also that fuckin bearskin rug photo he's ashamed of owns owns owns

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Question for the WoW fans: is World of Warcraft just an mmorpg "remake" of the warcraft games' plots or does it do its own story thing set in but separate from the warcraft games?

It's a direct continuation of the Warcraft storyline following The Frozen Throne and includes every past game within its canon.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Wow continues where frozen throne left off.

The last few expansions have had some real dumb stuff with timetravel and multiple timeline, mostly as an excuse to let you fight major characters that died pre-wow.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I thought the story in Warcraft 3 was the raddest poo poo when I was 13.

I'm never going to replay it because it will inevitably be terrible

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Chris Metzen is a hack, but for 20 years he honestly lived the dream of making millions of people become obsessed with his lovely D&D campaigns, and for that I can never hate him.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Andrast posted:

I thought the story in Warcraft 3 was the raddest poo poo when I was 13.

I'm never going to replay it because it will inevitably be terrible

i will brook no libel against the artistry of chris metzen, genius savant of writing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Chris Metzen is a hack, but for 20 years he honestly lived the dream of making millions of people become obsessed with his lovely D&D campaigns, and for that I can never hate him.

hey what did i just say

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

I learned that The Expanse was based on the authors' two different RPG campaigns and looking back on it, it seems pretty obvious

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

hey what did i just say

I'm just jealous of Chris Metzen's incredibly awesome life, well minus the panic attacks and anxiety that finally caused him to quit Blizzard. That was just sad to read.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Warcraft III's story is super rad and will always be super rad

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
And just before he left Blizzard Chris Metzen was able to put his childhood OC into Overwatch.

Living the dream.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is chris metzen the one responsible for the writing of diablo 1 and 2, because I thought it was real neat how the plot of 2 was just "hey the playable characters in the first game all hosed up and now you have to put up with their poo poo"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GUI posted:

The only thing I know about Burt Reynolds is that story from when he worked with Rockstar on a GTA game.

I love it when nerds get intimidated by 70 year old men.

The commentary on The Simpsons for the episodes with Kirk Douglas and Lawrence Tierney are great

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

Is chris metzen the one responsible for the writing of diablo 1 and 2, because I thought it was real neat how the plot of 2 was just "hey the playable characters in the first game all hosed up and now you have to put up with their poo poo"

he wasn't head writer of the entirety of blizzard at that point (bill roper was still around in those days) but i think diablo 1 was mainly his baby and i assume he worked in some capacity on 2

and yes, the heroes of diablo 1 being corrupted in diablo 2 and being the villains? that earns the chris metzen seal of approval

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Warcraft 3 rules and it's a tragedy that RTS is a dead genre

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
To be fair the corruption of good guy Arthas in wc3 was a bit better than the usual metzen MO.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

And just before he left Blizzard Chris Metzen was able to put his childhood OC into Overwatch.

Living the dream.

Was it Widowmaker?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Klaus Kinski posted:

To be fair the corruption of good guy Arthas in wc3 was a bit better than the usual metzen MO.

At the very least it showed a desperate hero turn to increasingly extreme means in order to protect his people rather than taking one too many hits of the evil jamba juice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

That was pretty much the ur-corruption storyline for Warcraft so it wasn't yet like "oh boy a good guy got corrupted again."

And when the heroes from Diablo 1 got corrupted before Diablo 2, that just sorta makes sense when your whole thing is about demons, and also the first game ends with the hero jamming Diablo's loving soulstone into their goddamn head like a moron so what did they think would happen

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The world needs Warcraft IV, quit screwing around on us Blizzard :colbert:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Grapplejack posted:

Was it Widowmaker?
No, 76. Widow was just Metzen's continued fetish for corrupted women.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 7, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Kanfy posted:

Gonna be weird to see Conan O'Brien's hair as a Death Stranding character.

https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1037966900272160768

I feel like "We have the same age!" ended up being an unintentional burn on Conan

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1038047142156283905

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

Warcraft 3 rules and it's a tragedy that RTS is a dead genre

What about...Pikmin

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

The world needs Warcraft IV, quit screwing around on us Blizzard :colbert:

4Craft

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't care if it's a thing blizzard does a ton, I just think it's neat seeing characters from previous games show up in sequels in new ways. Shadow Hearts Covenant was good about this too.

Also, one time back in uhhh 5th grade I think, same year Diablo 2 had come out, there was this kid I was friends with who got super obsessed with Diablo 2 (and blizzard games in general, but mostly Diablo 2) and this guy was also obsessed with Skies of Arcadia and he's the reason I picked that game up. Diablo 2 just kinda wrecked his mind though. He'd tell me about how he had dreams about his grandfather having the sign of diablo or whatever on his back, that this was a vision and that his ancestor was, in some way, connected with Diablo, and when we'd walk around during recess he'd start talking about how he was practicing being a necromancer by trying to will rock golems to come alive out of the pavement. One time he showed me the fight against the Diablo 2 Act 1 boss and he was all like "hey wanna see something cool?" and he opened up the game's manual or guide or whatever that had a picture of her and he was all "you can see her boobs! Weird!!" Another time he told me that he had a premonition that Diablo was going to curse the school, cause all of the lights to go out, and everybody will be destroyed by Diablo's forces unless they can learn to summon golems like necromancers or otherwise learn to defend themselves against the hell spawn.

Then I was getting bullied again like normal and I had a panic attack and he tried to console me by suggesting that I find a gun and bring it in to school and shoot all of the bullies.

I stopped talking to him after that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Seriously though yeah why did that dude just jam Diablo's soulstone into his head, what was the thinking behind that

I like what they did but lol that guy was dumb as fuuuuuuuuck

Another game series that did the whole "characters come back in new ways" kinda thing is the king's field series and those were pretty neat since there were various aspects of the games that would permanently change how you viewed earlier parts of the same game or even earlier entries in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FirstAidKite posted:

Seriously though yeah why did that dude just jam Diablo's soulstone into his head, what was the thinking behind that

It was a really long time ago, but IIRC when you defeat Diablo it's revealed that that Diablo was also an old adventurer with the stone jammed in his head and that's the only way to contain his soul and keep him from fully manifesting. So your character, because he's such a noble self-sacrificing hero, decides to become the next one and protect the world from Diablo for another couple of decades. Until his will falters and someone else has to go on a quest to kill him, which is what happens in Diablo 2.

• Locked thread