Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

The FLGS had a membership system and three boards, the owner had a weighting system for signing up games on the boards: two members got priority over a member and a guest got priority over two non-members got priority over MTG players, in case of conflicts seniority wins.

The fact it was revenue generating protected it for a while (made it at least possible for him to justify the floorspace used in terms of opportunity cost I guess) but, again: that only works as long as the store owner isn’t replaced by an rear end in a top hat drug-addict of a son looking to destroy his fathers work of 30 years in 9 horrible months.

You’re best off with a club with its own space, a membership system is ok too, indirect subsidies in the form of paying over-market prices is the worst solution.

But, whatever. “You do you” as the kids say these days.

:shrug:

Stop doing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
To expand on what I said, I can remember being a broke teenager trying to build an Ork army on a shoe string budget. Ebay in general and the plastic kits from first the second edition (20 orks and 40 gretchin!) nd later the more up to date kit that had boys, nobz, and some deff kopters, were a God send.

But now that I'm older I can buy what I want but I'm actually less interested in getting the most points for my money, and I'm buying NIB, from YLGS, and enjoying myself. Hmn, Ive never been to a farmers market in my life but I can see the similarities.

I guess it depends on what your priorities with the game is, what sort of income you're devoting to it, and even what sort of a hurry you're in. If you want the NIB get it - and post pictures.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Schadenboner is just neurolimal right

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

TheBigAristotle posted:

Neurolimal had poorly painted models.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Schadenboner posted:

Form a club and find space. Do not rely on the charity of a capitalist: the few dollars you chuck his way will not save your space from getting turned into whatever will produce more profit for him.

Denver used to have really good game stores. Attactix, Bonnie Brae, Valhalla. I supported them all, buying plenty of models, supplies, paints, and snacks from them.

In 2011 Valhalla and Attactix went out of business. Bonnie Brae followed later. All were taken down by a combination of things - poor business practices by their owners (Attactix), increasing rents due to a commercial real estate boom (Bonnie Brae), you name it. There are now a couple of alternatives out in the outlying suburbs, but nothing as close to me.

Do I regret spending money at the stores I used to? Nope. Not at all. Okay, sure, there's a little Gamer's Remorse - why did I buy those models when I haven't finished my existing projects? - but all told I can live with it.

Because in return I got to play some drat good games. I met people who are still my friends; I still wargame with them regularly. These days we'll play on a table on my back deck or in my basement, or in a comparable setup in a friend's house. It's certainly not as easy as it was when we had the common ground of a good game store; we keep it going, but it's not the same. I wish we still had those stores, as they were a good place to meet and find new folks to play with.

No, I suppose the money I spent didn't save those stores, but - hell, it's only money; I got some good games and good friends out of it. I'd do it again with no regrets.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was (up until recently) in that part of the country for work and I was wondering why the scene seemed so dead in Denver outside of a couple GW stores. That all makes sense now.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Safety Factor posted:

I was (up until recently) in that part of the country for work and I was wondering why the scene seemed so dead in Denver outside of a couple GW stores. That all makes sense now.

It's a drat shame. We went from a thriving wargaming scene to a desert in just a few years.

There are now a couple of alternatives - Total Escape way up in the Northwest (Broomfield), Collectormania out in the wilderness in Parker - but nothing really near downtown. There's a decent GW in the southeast corner of town, near Glendale - but while I like 40K I also like Historicals, and that obviously doesn't fly at a GW.

Denver as a city has been doing great recently - I think legalizing pot made a lot of people discover the place, making them want to move here. But the drawback is that real estate, especially commercial real estate, is expensive. It's nowhere near as bad as, say, San Francisco or Manhattan, but it's bad enough to make opening a game store practically impossible.

Support your local game store if you can, folks. Treasure the place, because you'll really miss it if it disappears. Sure, you can buy your models for a few dollars less on eBay, but you can't play a game on an open table and meet new gamer friends doing that.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 7, 2018

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Bob Wins posted:

Got a guy at my FLGS that runs pure guard, and even if you don't run scions the extra tactics in drop force imperator can come in handy. Guy always runs Sarge, Coms vox guy, 2 plasma guns and then either flamers meltas and grenade launchers based on his opponent.

I'm in the process of building a scion only kill team right now.

Thanks for the info, I'm thinking a sniper, plasma and two flamers. Will also be getting drop zone boxset.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

I thought Lord Aba was neuroliminal.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Two Beans posted:

Stop doing you.

I think "go do yourself" or some variant would have been better.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
so mad about hams u think someone should kill themselves itt

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

so mad about hams u think someone should kill themselves itt

So eager to shitpost u read into things that aren't there itt

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
so eager to own that u dont read

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

You’re best off with a club with its own space, a membership system is ok too, indirect subsidies in the form of paying over-market prices is the worst solution.

No local stores are charging over market price. Of my local stores, one is between 15 and 20% off, one is msrp on most things and 10% off on pre-orders, and one store I think is 15%. You would know that you were completely full of poo poo if you actually bought models ever.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are there any game clubs in the DC area?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Booley posted:

No local stores are charging over market price. Of my local stores, one is between 15 and 20% off, one is msrp on most things and 10% off on pre-orders, and one store I think is 15%. You would know that you were completely full of poo poo if you actually bought models ever.

The store close to my office regularly sells warhammer stuff at MSRP or above - paints are $6 each, and they had the space marine codex listed at $55 for awhile but finally relented on some items, it seems. Once in awhile I still see stuff for a few bucks or even 10% higher than it should be.

The gaming store I go to in Chicago sells everything at MSRP. So it's rare, but it happens. Thye also have bits boxes to pore through and a basement full of tables, terrain, and even painted armies you can use (they even have 4 baneblades and ~2000 pts of Tyranids you can just pick up and play with) so I don't mind paying MSRP to support the store.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are there any game clubs in the DC area?

I don't know of one. Want to start one?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

The Sex Cannon posted:

40k Badclub

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Edit: gently caress

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Two Beans posted:

40k Badclub

40k Fuccboi Fanclubb

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Boy do I have a dumb list for tomorrow:

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - FW Adeptus Astartes) [102 PL, 2001pts] ++

+ HQ +

Librarian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 130pts]: 3) Psychic Scourge, 6) Null Zone, Force stave, Storm bolter

Marneus Calgar [10 PL, 200pts]: Terminator Armour, Warlord

+ Elites +

Cataphractii Terminator Squad [12 PL, 255pts]
. Cataphractii Sergeant: Combi-bolter, Grenade harness, Power sword
. Cataphractii Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power fist
. Cataphractii Terminator: Chainfist, Combi-bolter
. Cataphractii Terminator: Chainfist, Combi-bolter
. Cataphractii Terminator w/Heavy Flamer: Heavy flamer, Power fist

Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 165pts]: Combi-bolter, Dreadnought combat weapon, Kheres pattern assault cannon

Dreadnought [7 PL, 139pts]: Multi-melta
. Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter: Storm bolter

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [13 PL, 227pts]
. Dreadnought melee weapon: Dreadnought combat weapon, Storm bolter
. Twin lascannon

Terminator Assault Squad [12 PL, 235pts]: Teleport Homer
. Terminator Sergeant
. . Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
. 4x Terminator w/THSS: 4x Storm shield, 4x Thunder hammer

+ Heavy Support +

Land Raider Crusader [16 PL, 335pts]: 2x Hurricane bolter, Multi-melta, Twin assault cannon

+ Flyer +

Stormraven Gunship [15 PL, 315pts]: Twin assault cannon, Twin heavy bolter, Two Hurricane Bolters, Two Stormstrike Missile Launchers

++ Total: [102 PL, 2001pts] ++

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

koreban posted:

40k Fuccboi Fanclubb

40k Badboi Fucclub

wait, no, that's a different thing

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Sure.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Two Beans posted:

So eager to shitpost u read into things that aren't there itt

Yeah. If it came off like I was encouraging suicide, that wasn't intentional. I meant 'do' as in 'go have sexual relations with yourself'. It was a dumb pun and I appreciate schadenboner's shitposting when it's not taking over the thread.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Felime posted:

Yeah. If it came off like I was encouraging suicide, that wasn't intentional. I meant 'do' as in 'go have sexual relations with yourself'. It was a dumb pun and I appreciate schadenboner's shitposting when it's not taking over the thread.

I wouldn’t say I’m shitposting, at least not in this. I’d say I’m “Being loudly disagreed with by them who’ve already bullied me out of one community I rather enjoyed”.

Relying on a store-keeper to keep offering a service he’s not making money off of (and imagining that your over-paying will cause this situation to continue when the fiscal pinch comes) is a recipe for disaster, at at least heartbreak. Gamers should form clubs and find space through them. It’s also a better way to keep out the fashies.

But, you know, whatever.

HE DOESN’T EVEN HAVE ANY MODELS!!!!!!

Fuckheads.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Badablack posted:

I’m buying a bunch of genestealer cult from the tooth/claw and kill team boxes while they’re cheap, and just sticking them in a closet until the codex comes out. Going by previous codexes, there will probably be some points adjustments and some nice stratagems, but big changes to play style or weapons probably won’t happen. Are there any real stinkers I should avoid or is everything pretty decent aside from being Index and currently hobbled?

I'd like to know as well. What're you paying $$ wise per abominant?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Schadenboner posted:

I wouldn’t say I’m shitposting, at least not in this. I’d say I’m “Being loudly disagreed with by them who’ve already bullied me out of one community I rather enjoyed”.

Relying on a store-keeper to keep offering a service he’s not making money off of (and imagining that your over-paying will cause this situation to continue when the fiscal pinch comes) is a recipe for disaster, at at least heartbreak. Gamers should form clubs and find space through them. It’s also a better way to keep out the fashies.

But, you know, whatever.

Fuckheads.

I'll give you a serious response: You're being reductive.

The points you make about gaming clubs are valid, but acting like that is something that is at odds with a game store is a false choice. You can run your gaming club through a store, your gaming club is going to get new people coming through because it is a store, and a store has a lot to offer in terms of ways it can help the gaming scene, many of which (loaner armies, prizes, a place to buy snacks, etc) have already been mentioned.

If my only local game store was a goose-stepping neckbeard stereotype fortress, what you said would be valid, but in a most cases there's no reason to try and isolate yourself from what should be a community center for your club just because they have the audacity to also make money on it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Cessna posted:

Denver used to have really good game stores. Attactix, Bonnie Brae, Valhalla. I supported them all, buying plenty of models, supplies, paints, and snacks from them.

In 2011 Valhalla and Attactix went out of business. Bonnie Brae followed later. All were taken down by a combination of things - poor business practices by their owners (Attactix), increasing rents due to a commercial real estate boom (Bonnie Brae), you name it. There are now a couple of alternatives out in the outlying suburbs, but nothing as close to me.

Do I regret spending money at the stores I used to? Nope. Not at all. Okay, sure, there's a little Gamer's Remorse - why did I buy those models when I haven't finished my existing projects? - but all told I can live with it.

Because in return I got to play some drat good games. I met people who are still my friends; I still wargame with them regularly. These days we'll play on a table on my back deck or in my basement, or in a comparable setup in a friend's house. It's certainly not as easy as it was when we had the common ground of a good game store; we keep it going, but it's not the same. I wish we still had those stores, as they were a good place to meet and find new folks to play with.

No, I suppose the money I spent didn't save those stores, but - hell, it's only money; I got some good games and good friends out of it. I'd do it again with no regrets.

This explains a lot. I have lived in Denver for a couple of years but only recently started getting into 40k with the release of 8th edition as a natural extension of my mini painting hobby. I mostly jumped in because I like the lore and the models but I figured it would be pretty easy to find local places to actually play. Quickly come to find out that the scene here is more or less dead.

There's a group that meets at Colpar's Hobbyworld out in Aurora who seem pretty nice, but they only meet on Saturdays (which is tough for me) and it's generally kind of intimidating to walk into a big group like that without knowing anyone or even how to play the game that you're there to play. That store is also one of those ones that charges MSRP for most things, so I don't visit very often anyway. I live pretty close to the GW in Glendale and follow them on social media, but have not been there yet.

It would be so awesome if there was a place in the city where you could reliably find a pick-up game on a random Thursday night, but there just doesn't seem to be anything even close to that here.

Makes me jealous of those DC hams who have bonafide podcast stars in their scene.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 7, 2018

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

But, you know, whatever.

Fuckheads.

"Bullied" loving hell. You were banned because you annoyed everyone in the discord. Stop posting and go be a family man.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

But, you know, whatever.

Fuckheads.

You were banned, not bullied. For being an annoying fuckhead. Much like you are in this thread.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
The GW store near me is celebrating its anniversary tomorrow with an exclusive (so they claim) Primaris Captain with plasma pistol and power fist. Gonna snap one up. Model looks pretty cool.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

But, you know, whatever.

Fuckheads.

You were the proud recipient of one of the three bans we've ever given out, the others being LordAba and some idiot making overly edgy fash jokes. You were not bullied out, in fact we consciously held off on banning you for weeks until you had annoyed the rest of the server to the point that they wanted it.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Felime posted:

Your post and its intended meaning is clear to anyone not intent on being an rear end about it.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

TheBigAristotle posted:

The GW store near me is celebrating its anniversary tomorrow with an exclusive (so they claim) Primaris Captain with plasma pistol and power fist. Gonna snap one up. Model looks pretty cool.

Yeah, it's the exclusive Store Birthday model and it is in fact very cool. He usually goes for 50 bucks or more on eBay so you're lucky to be able to get him!

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

koreban posted:

40k Fuccboi Fanclubb

Come play 30k in Longview Mi’lord

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hixson posted:

Come play 30k in Longview Mi’lord

hell yeah

Also looks like GW picked up on all the people going nuts for the Rogue Trader dog and are using it to promote the box

https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/1037765112399110144

But the whole "luscious dog butt cheeks" thing is kinda creepy? I'm sure they could have thought of something better to describe the dog.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mango Polo posted:

hell yeah

Also looks like GW picked up on all the people going nuts for the Rogue Trader dog and are using it to promote the box

But the whole "luscious dog butt cheeks" thing is kinda creepy? I'm sure they could have thought of something better to describe the dog.

You’d prefer “check out this sexy bitch” maybe?

:crossarms:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

koreban posted:

40k Fuccboi Fanclubb

Agreed, cum to Longview m’lord

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

panascope posted:

Agreed, cum to Longview m’lord

must... obey... hypno-nurgling...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Mango Polo posted:

hell yeah

There's no shame in getting fooled by the Werkshop. Schadenboner's not actually joking about how often that account gets people here.