Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tsar Mikey posted:

The ASIO drivers thing was the funniest stab in the dark from the idiots at CIG. Other than something like Rocksmith, why would a video game need an low latency audio driver? ASIO doesn't offer any performance benefit other than low latency for recording and monitoring instruments or other super time critical audio. Balancing buffer underruns with latency would be a nightmare considering how poorly Star Citizen is optimized.

Beyond the high level stupidity above, how would CIG even go about creating this? Generally if you need ASIO, you have hardware that is built to support it with competently built ASIO drivers right from the manufacturer. (e.g. a Roland Quad-Capture). It's not something any old idiot backer with 100 case fans and Realtek HD Audio on his motherboard is going to need. There are well built generic ASIO drivers already, but they can be a stability crap shoot depending on hardware. Now add in CIG's stupidity to the mix. Yeah.

Who at CIG wanted this? My theory is Chris Roberts saw a screenshot of REAPER and saw "44100hz 32bit 2ch ~2.5ms ASIO" in the status bar and wanted that for his game, because he thinks that specialty hardware and drivers are something video games need he's a loving idiot.

The reason they wanted this was pretty simple. Chris Roberts read the Wikipedia page on ASIO and saw the following:

Wikipedia posted:

Audio Stream Input/Output (ASIO) is a computer sound card driver protocol for digital audio specified by Steinberg, providing a low-latency and high fidelity interface between a software application and a computer's sound card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
TWTITCH: RTV on OCS is Live

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Scruffpuff posted:

The reason they wanted this was pretty simple. Chris Roberts read the Wikipedia page on ASIO and saw the following:

I think you're onto something here. The Star Citizen design philosophy is letting Chris Roberts loose on Wikipedia. He only ever reads a few lines of the summary.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Some kind goon, needs more crobear

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

good luck with this very serious discussion

it was a little too high iq for me

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

And they started deleting his messages. Come :justpost: keramz

Edit: This is more a planning meeting.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 7, 2018

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

doingitwrong posted:

For those that don’t know (I only learned this a few weeks ago) this is a technical term.
http://news.mit.edu/2015/harbinger-failure-consumers-unpopular-products-1223

Thank you for linking to this. This kind of stuff is fascinating.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

his nibs posted:

Some kind goon, needs more crobear

a shameful man whose never smoked a reefer in his life except this one time on the Joe Rogan Experience where he inhaled like a bitch

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Slow_Moe posted:

Lethality is what you call a "Harbinger of failure", everything he shills for turns to poo poo

Kickstarter projects backed by Lethality
  1. Embers of Caerus Investor Prototype

quote:

Be whatever you want to be in our massive medieval low-fantasy world. Putting the sand back into sandbox, and Massive back into MMORPG.

2. Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

quote:

Lord British returns to his fantasy RPG roots with Shroud of the Avatar, hearkening back to his innovative early work.

3. Camelot Unchained

quote:

Camelot Unchained is a counter-revolutionary RvR-focused MMORPG from Mark Jacobs and CSE set in a post-apocalyptic yet familiar world.

4. TUG

quote:

TUG is a multiplayer open-world sandbox-RPG using new technology and social sciences to directly involve players in the game’s design.

5. The Repopulation: A Sandbox MMORPG

quote:

A Sci-Fi based MMORPG which provides many of the same sandbox oriented features seen in Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima Online.

6. Crowfall - Throne War PC MMO

quote:

No subscription required! Buy once and play forever."It's like the unholy love child of Game of Thrones, EVE Online and The Walking Dead." - J. Todd Coleman, Creative Director

7. Hero's Song (Canceled)

quote:

Hero's Song is a 2D pixel art action RPG for the PC (followed by Mac) being built by Pixelmage Games with a team of Veterans.

8. Chronicles of Elyria - Epic Story MMORPG with Aging & Death

quote:

Dynamic & immersive MMORPG where your character ages & dies in a fully destructible world with non-repeatable quests.

9. Dual Universe :: Civilization Building Sci-Fi MMORPG

quote:

One universe, shared by everyone at the same time. Emergent gameplay. Fully editable voxel world, with player-made ships & constructs.

10. Indie Microblogging: owning your short-form writing

quote:

I'm writing a book about independent microblogging, and launching a publishing platform called Micro.blog.

11. Ashes of Creation ~ New MMORPG by Intrepid Studios

quote:

Ashes of Creation is an open-world, non-faction based, no P2W, high-fantasy MMORPG. Join us as we change the face of the genre.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Scruffpuff posted:

Old news now I know, but it's worth going over for people who missed it the first time around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjlDDZOGWvo

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw mercilessly skewers Star Citizen near the end of the video. I think it's worth reviewing because of how note-perfect the insults are. It's very, very obvious the actual gaming industry is highly aware of what Chris is doing (and not doing) and they know the score precisely.

Key details:

- The flashing "WWW.KICKSTARTMYMANSION.COM"
- The "USS JPEG"
- $1000 to receive "an image of the ship you'd like to eventually buy in our game once we've finished designing it"
- loving :lol:

:drat:

I saw it already and knew they were taking the piss but missed some details that own bones

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thoatse posted:

:drat:

I saw it already and knew they were taking the piss but missed some details that own bones

I'm honestly stoked about the seven radio channels and the 21 hours of music. The Rebel Galaxy soundtrack was surprisingly awesome.

Those guys appear to have a fairly good idea of what 'fun' is.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This guy's never been out of an echo chamber, huh?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Hav posted:

I'm honestly stoked about the seven radio channels and the 21 hours of music. The Rebel Galaxy soundtrack was surprisingly awesome.

Those guys appear to have a fairly good idea of what 'fun' is.

What does 'fun' stand for again? -Chris Roberts, probably

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/DhoBLaO.gifv

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thoatse posted:

What does 'fun' stand for again? -Chris Roberts, probably

What is fun, if not for fun?

I'm actually listening and reading this OCS stuff. The Twitch mob appear to think there's a couple of years conversion, that they're going to miss the next patch, and Hurston and Space Mitch McConnell are depending on it.

They're not predicting any performance and they're stressing that improvements are incremental.

OCS does not allow for more players per instance. It's purely client-side. async builds of environment on load.

Server-side streaming requires extra technologies they don't have yet. That's the Network Bind Culling and quantum networking.

OCS does not effect render distance.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 7, 2018

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/952256348787527685
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/952246294847909888

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Here's a new mission giver. I'm impressed, actually has the Roberts "duh" look.

And a new knife.

As a fan of HBO's Rome I recognized this guy's face right away

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0346950/

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Mr. Carlisle posted:

As a fan of HBO's Rome I recognized this guy's face right away

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0346950/

Where has that wretched woman landed... :(

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Aaaah Father Larry Duff!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Lando is signalling that 3.3 will be delayed and also break the entire game

people ain't gonna be happy about that

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Interestingly the most I could find from google after I posted that was a tweet from a single citizen mentioning that he's been added as a quest NPC but no credits or mentions anywhere official that include his name

I wonder if he knows he's in the game or his likeness has been used

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lmao, love Friday's with CIG.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Interestingly the most I could find from google after I posted that was a tweet from a single citizen mentioning that he's been added as a quest NPC but no credits or mentions anywhere official that include his name

I wonder if he knows he's in the game or his likeness has been used

Does he have incredibly large hands in real life?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

Lando is signalling that 3.3 will be delayed and also break the entire game

people ain't gonna be happy about that

Things that depend on OCS:-

Hurston
Hurston clothing
Clovus 'Father Duff' Darneely
Hurston moons
Small rest stops
Lorville Landing zone
No fly zones

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Colostomy Bag posted:

lmao, love Friday's with CIG.

Monday my ship falls apart
Tuesday Wednesday hears a parp
Thursday game doesn't even start
It's Friday I'm in love

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Does he have incredibly large hands in real life?

I've already contacted someone if CIG is using his likeness without his permission

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:five:

When I first saw the knife my first thoughts were of Topper Harley's chainsaw rambo knife in Hot Shots!

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

"It got me, O'Dell!" :gibs:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Mirificus posted:

Lethality's Top 10 For 2017

Dear god, a perfect 0 out of 10. Lethality is to game selection as CIG's art team is to knife design.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1035629105746563072
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1037393885482250240

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

it'd be so perfectly hellworld if sandi and the bears divorce is the thing that ends up giving a clear financial picture of the inner workings of CIG

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
That Relic dude can't even manage to draw their eye straight on their stupid avatar.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Lladre posted:

That Relic dude can't even manage to draw their eye straight on their stupid avatar.

He needs to read the Wing Commander novels to fix his eyesight.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

The thing about NMS and ED is that they may have released as a hot mess but they were fun to play out of the box.

SC is hot garbage with no joy to be had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich
So I just watched that RTV, plots within plots here. I know we like to poo poo on that buffoon Roberts (rightfully so) but I think theres an extra layer of scam here.

I am going to make the assumption that those devs that appeared actually work on the game before I talk. Believe me that feels like a jump.

None of these idiots knew what they were talking about. We are 2.5 years from announcement of these basic networking features. They have no clue what is going on.

I hope these idiots never get another job in game dev or dev in general because clearly all thats left at CIG is the warm body human detritus development places accumulate. And they likely won't because any potential employer seeing that would laugh as they deleted their resume.

These devs are not only decieving fans on an internet show, but decieving CR as well. They could not do this job in any studio, let alone with that buffoon.