Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

that's gonna be great when the room is both on fire and underwater at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It sucks but Brown has little if anything to lose. He gets to stick it to De Leon and and bang his fiscal responsibility drum, and none of it affects him because he's termed out and his political career is probably close to wrapping up given he's got way too much baggage to make a successful presidential bid. Also the legislature can presumably just revive the bill once Brown is gone and Newsom will sign it in a heartbeat.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Yeah this seems like it'd be great for Newsom. It's something he could go on about for the campaign to draw a distinction between him and Cox that's definitely unfavorable to Cox, and then once he's in office it's an easy win that makes him look good to progressives.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

It sucks but Brown has little if anything to lose. He gets to stick it to De Leon and and bang his fiscal responsibility drum, and none of it affects him because he's termed out and his political career is probably close to wrapping up given he's got way too much baggage to make a successful presidential bid. Also the legislature can presumably just revive the bill once Brown is gone and Newsom will sign it in a heartbeat.

It's too bad that we consider our politicians to be the kind of person who would do that, instead of just signing the bill because it's good for the state and it's the right thing to do.

e:

Trabisnikof posted:

How does Brown not understand that if he vetos this bill it will destroy his entire legacy. Nothing he has done will matter if he vetos this bill.

This is an exaggeration. As the article says:

quote:

The state simply would not be in a position to make a 100 percent commitment if Governor Brown had not risked scorn to start California down this path so many decades ago, when Mr. de León was still in elementary school.

I write these words with admiration for Senator de León’s work — and with even deeper admiration for everything the governor has accomplished for California. He is not just a brilliant political tactician; he is a former seminary student who wrestles with the moral questions embedded in our messy politics.

This is a time, Governor, to look past the messiness and the rivalries. I hope your ethical compass will tell you there is only one thing to do.

This won't destroy Brown's legacy. It'll barely be a blip in the history books if he vetos it. No one will care 5-10 years from now.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 7, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean, yeah, I wish politicians made decisions based on what's right too. I'd also like a unicorn, and maybe universal prosperity and peace if it's not too much to ask. Hmm, maybe the noble politicians thing would take care of world peace on its own. Can I change my third wish, or are there no takebacksies?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Ah the old "I've given up holding people to moral standards, therefore I'm more adult and savvy than you" gambit. Let's see how it plays out.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

I mean, yeah, I wish politicians made decisions based on what's right too. I'd also like a unicorn, and maybe universal prosperity and peace if it's not too much to ask. Hmm, maybe the noble politicians thing would take care of world peace on its own. Can I change my third wish, or are there no takebacksies?

You could have just condensed this post down to "life isn't fair" and saved us all some time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You're posting on SA, I'm fairly confident any time I've wasted on your part wasn't particularly valuable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sydin posted:

You're posting on SA, I'm fairly confident any time I've wasted on your part wasn't particularly valuable.

There have been 6791 posts made by Cup Runneth Over, an average of 2.05 posts per day, since registering on Aug 7, 2009.
There have been 17479 posts made by Sydin, an average of 6.98 posts per day, since registering on Oct 28, 2011.

Whoops

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I mean, yeah, I wish this boot would stop stamping on my face too. I'd also like a unicorn, and maybe universal prosperity and peace if it's not too much to ask.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

*me, on the Aztec altar* sure I wish they weren't cutting out my heart. I also wish that Huitzilopochtli would send me fabulous wealth and strike down the conquistador invaders, if it's not too much to ask.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/881161169469403137

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Sydin posted:

It takes less than 2 minutes to call the governor’s office at 916-445-2841. Just say you support Senate Bill 100 and give your zip code. It probably would have taken just as much time as it took you to read this thread and to write that snarky post.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Called browns office, the rep was like "well he has thousands of bills coming to his desk and he's got the power to veto any of them" - weird posture but whatever they got my info

Sydin posted:

:chord:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Called browns office, the rep was like "well he has thousands of bills coming to his desk and he's got the power to veto any of them" - weird posture but whatever they got my info

:chord:

how could you possibly expect the governor's office to have an opinion on every single bill!?!? there are so many of them!!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hey now I'm under no illusions that my time is valuable either, we're all in this together.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Thanks for posting this so I don't have to.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I do love getting dogpiled by you all over expressing cynicism towards politicians when you all are going to go out and vote for quintessential politician Gavin Newsom just like I am because he's the guy with a D next to his name. :jerkbag:

I'm disappointed in Brown, but I'm not surprised. He's done some great things for the state, but he's also done some really lovely things, like refuse to clamp down on agribusiness's water usage in any meaningful fashion during one of the worst drought in recent memory because he's buddy-buddy with a bunch of big agribusiness folks and he didn't want to stomp on his friends toes even if it meant the rest of the state crumbling into dust. He's no stranger to wielding his power for his own benefit.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Sydin posted:

you all are going to go out and vote for quintessential politician Gavin Newsom just like I am because he's the guy with a D next to his name.

we are?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The options are ['replicant' (Newsom), 'what if Mike Pence but with power' (Cox), 'no vote' (duh)].

That's how a system where the general is always a runoff of the primary works. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even count protest votes, except as maybe 'spoiled'.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

dont be mean to me posted:

The options are ['replicant' (Newsom), 'what if Mike Pence but with power' (Cox), 'no vote' (duh)].

That's how a system where the general is always a runoff of the primary works. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even count protest votes, except as maybe 'spoiled'.

Those are the options, yes, doesn't mean I'm going to go out and vote for Newsom.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Well if leaving the Newsom box blank makes you feel better go ahead I guess, but please at least do turn out and vote for De Leon. TIA.

dont be mean to me posted:

You'd think if Maine could implement ranked-choice voting, supposed liberal bastion California could, too. Of course that would threaten the core Democratic establishment that has planted its base of power here so it's a political non starter (and another thing Brown vetoed). Maybe a proposition someday.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Snipee posted:

It takes less than 2 minutes to call the governor’s office at 916-445-2841. Just say you support Senate Bill 100 and give your zip code. It probably would have taken just as much time as it took you to read this thread and to write that snarky post.

Thanks! Gave them a call and it was painless.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

I'm disappointed in Brown, but I'm not surprised.

He hasn't even done anything yet?

I'm voting for Newsom. I mean, c'mon, he's not THAT bad, he just smells like industrial lubricant.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 8, 2018

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sydin posted:

Well if leaving the Newsom box blank makes you feel better go ahead I guess, but please at least do turn out and vote for De Leon. TIA.

You'd think if Maine could implement ranked-choice voting, supposed liberal bastion California could, too. Of course that would threaten the core Democratic establishment that has planted its base of power here so it's a political non starter (and another thing Brown vetoed). Maybe a proposition someday.

Did you call the number posted?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Is Brown gonna sign SB100 or what.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm voting for Newsom. I mean, c'mon, he's not THAT bad, he just smells like industrial lubricant.

You barely notice the smell with the Nexus 5 model.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

You barely notice the smell with the Nexus 5 model.

The 600 series had rubber skin, we spotted them easy, but these are new. They look human — sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Brown signed the bills to block Trump's proposed offshore drilling project.

Kobayashi posted:

Did you call the number posted?

I did. I also used the send an email form on his website since SB100 was available in the hilariously long drop down of topics. Worst case scenario I get a reply I can put on my wall of shame next to Feinstein's "It's not my fault I co-sponsored this because see I didn't actually read the full context of the bill and had no idea it was so bad" reply to my "Why are you co-sponsoring PIPA" letter.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Gov. Brown signed SB100, whew!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Told ya so

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

don't worry, half of D&D will still call him a sellout and a fake the next time, and the next time

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

predicto posted:

don't worry, half of D&D will still call him a sellout and a fake the next time, and the next time
Only half?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

predicto posted:

He's a mixed bag, not a fake but Boomer and older left are not very good as a rule.

When it's all said and done I'm very ok with Brown...as the Governor of Arkansas. But for deep blue CA? Eh....

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

predicto posted:

He is all of these things tho

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you say jerry brown is a disappointment, but here we see he did the bare minimum a democrat or californian politician would be expected to do on this one issue. checkmate, libs

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

predicto posted:

Don't think there are many/any next times left between here and the end of his term.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Now sign the (admittedly far less important than landmark environmental targets, but still cool and good) Net Neutrality bill please.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/drvox/status/1039253124987408384

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Reading that article, this bill sounds hilariously weak and has target dates so far out in the future as to make it essentially meaningless.