Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Do solo scenarios trigger a road event and count as a campaign scenario for allowing another city event? It's a scenario you complete in campaign mode, so I assume it does?

Reik fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Reik posted:

PQ 515 Lawbringer: We've only played 3 scenarios but our Scoundrel is already at 15/20 on this quest, and it looks like the next scenario we play will give him more Bandits and/or Cultists to kill. Is this just a really easy to complete Personal Quest, or are we doing something wrong? He's only getting credit for the ones he last hits.

It's very easy to do if it's your first quest for your first character at the start of the game and you focus on it with a damage-dealing class from the start. It becomes much harder to complete once you get past the first five or ten missions you're likely to do unless you go back and re-do scenarios in casual mode for it. I'm almost done with that quest on my Cragheart but zero of the new scenarios we currently have access to will help me complete it and IIRC zero of the scenarios any of those directly lead to will help either.

There are other quests like that where they're super easy to complete if you pull them at the right time and a pain in the rear end or casual mode bait if you pull them outside their ideal window of time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zurai posted:

There are other quests like that where they're super easy to complete if you pull them at the right time and a pain in the rear end or casual mode bait if you pull them outside their ideal window of time.

It's deliberate I'm sure but it's a shame there's some quests that are so easy at certain times and ones that are absolutely rock hard no matter when it is.
For example the exhaust your character 12 times one to get the lightning bolt is extremely hard at any point. Whereas doing 3 quests in Gloomhaven to get envelope X opened is pretty easy once you're past quest 20.

Also in regards to quest 6:
It seems really strange to go back and do that when I've already foiled the cultist plans. I can see that you definitely can do that, it's just....weird.
Then again I can do temple of the seer still even though we've defeated Jekserah, so whatever. It just feels weird.

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 5, 2018

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Taear posted:

It's deliberate I'm sure but it's a shame there's some quests that are so easy at certain times and ones that are absolutely rock hard no matter when it is.
For example the exhaust your character 12 times one to get the lightning bolt is extremely hard at any point. Whereas doing 3 quests in Gloomhaven to get envelope X opened is pretty easy once you're past quest 20.

I have this one right now and it's miserable. At least Music Note is a good class. Lightning Bolt better drat well be worth it, though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Taear posted:

For example the exhaust your character 12 times one to get the lightning bolt is extremely hard at any point.

Exhausting yourself is not very difficult at any point, you're in complete control over whether you exhaust in a scenario or not. Treat it as an excuse to go wild with your loss cards!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Taear posted:

Also in regards to quest 6:
It seems really strange to go back and do that when I've already foiled the cultist plans. I can see that you definitely can do that, it's just....weird.

I think it works in context given the followups.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I am a Triforce and wish to make a statement regarding Scenario 81: gently caress you too, Mr. Guest Designer.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Taear posted:

Because of how the early quests are set up it's just extremely easy. There's a few that if you get them at the right time you can end REALLY fast.
We played those quests though that anyone can get the last blow because it felt a bit lovely otherwise.

They're a bit harder if you're playing two player because there are just fewer monsters total. I kinda feel like you should double credit for kills on two-player.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SuperKlaus posted:

I am a Triforce and wish to make a statement regarding Scenario 81: gently caress you too, Mr. Guest Designer.
This is equally true for scenario 67.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think it works in context given the followups.

All of the personal quests fit the classes they unlock SUPER well, it's very well done. It's fun trying to guess what they are by looking at their quests as well.

But exhausting 12 times or whatever just takes forever and it requires planning that you will exhaust at just the right time. Easily (at least for my group) the hardest quest available. The person doing it didn't consider that's what it meant so he hadn't exhausted - he thought it meant getting to 1 health and getting hit and losing a card so he was doing that loads.
Eventually we just gave him the other quest for the lightning bolt and he unlocked it that way.

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 6, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Taear posted:

All of the personal quests fit the classes they unlock SUPER well, it's very well done. It's fun trying to guess what they are by looking at their quests as well.
Yeah (I especially like PQ 519 mechanically and for reward), but I meant that going back to scenario 6 after doing scenario 5 might seem weird at the time but makes perfect sense given later scenarios. Specifically the cultists try to kill you. Repeatedly.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah (I especially like PQ 519 mechanically and for reward), but I meant that going back to scenario 6 after doing scenario 5 might seem weird at the time but makes perfect sense given later scenarios. Specifically the cultists try to kill you. Repeatedly.

Ah right, sorry.
It's weird to me because it felt like a choice - help the cultists or attack the cultists. And we attacked them and 'foiled their plan' by closing the Rift.
I know about the Gloom stuff it's just a strange one. I'm glad though, we need another quest in Dagger Forest and quest 28 is right there.

It's NOT as weird as the fact that we can do Temple of the Seer (17) even though it makes no sense after having done quest 20.

I will say the biggest flaw for me in Gloomhaven is that I often lose track of what the gently caress is going on quest wise and that's as someone playing it once a week. I guess I should start writing it down - the stickers don't quite work for me really.

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 6, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We keep a flow chart for which quests we can do and to which plotlines they relate. Which is a bit annoying, because I want to do scenarios that my party has no reason to go for, and I don't want to explain why because I'm trying to not reveal my current personal quest (it doesn't unlock anything and I'm in no rush to retire my Cthulhu Face) or that I just want to do a scenario to loot the item someone told me was in a treasure chest.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

We keep a flow chart for which quests we can do and to which plotlines they relate. Which is a bit annoying, because I want to do scenarios that my party has no reason to go for, and I don't want to explain why because I'm trying to not reveal my current personal quest (it doesn't unlock anything and I'm in no rush to retire my Cthulhu Face) or that I just want to do a scenario to loot the item someone told me was in a treasure chest.

While I know he prefers that players don't reveal their personal quests I feel like it makes it play better when everyone knows.
Although I pick whatever scenario and people go along with it at least I have a good excuse for making us play something that might be hard or has annoying lovely enemies in like Oozes or Living Spirits.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Taear posted:

While I know he prefers that players don't reveal their personal quests I feel like it makes it play better when everyone knows.
Although I pick whatever scenario and people go along with it at least I have a good excuse for making us play something that might be hard or has annoying lovely enemies in like Oozes or Living Spirits.

We revealed all our personal quests after a few sessions because it felt like people were playing at odds with each other, which, like I get in terms of 'role playing', but, lets be honest, there's pretty much no role playing going on in Gloomhaven, so to have the only element be a general sense of unease that someone might gently caress over your once a week 6 hour gaming session didn't really seem worth it. It turned out to be a GREAT idea for us, because, yeah, we were essentially going to dick each over otherwise. The final straw was learning from this thread that it's possible to have the same unlock reward as each other. I honestly don't know how I'd feel if after what looks like its going to take at least another 4 sessions to complete, someone else unlocked my character. I know there are other things that get unlocked instead, but that's obviously no where near as cool.

In terms of missions, we were saying, it would be so good if for every mission, there was a card that had all the fluff on it, all the details of where it was, the quest that lead to it, and then little scratch off portions for what treasure chests contain, what the achievement unlocked at the end is, and which subsequent missions are unlocked afterwards. That way you'd have a deck of 'available missions', with all the details apart from dungeon layout, and it would be super easy to see what was open to you. As is, whenever we start playing it's a case of scouring the board, reading relevant entries and trying to work out what we were 'supposed' to be doing. The fact that you can do things like the "choose to kill a guy" mission, then go back later and do the "choose to take a quest from that guy" mission really doesn't help either. I understand that would be more expensive, but, y'know. At this point, really, its sort of a drop in the ocean.

Along the 'no role playing' line, it took us a while to work out how you're meant to play the town and road events too. We'd been doing it purely from a rp'ing perspective, but a lot (most) of the time it seems like there's a right answer that you can sort of deduce. Only, a few of them have been ambiguous enough that what we've all agreed to do has actually been the opposite of what the card intended. E.g. (Not a real example but something similar to): "There's a group of people fighting over a plate of steaks, do you attack them, or try to calm the situation?" and we're all "Oh well for sure we want some juicy steaks, lets attack!" and then the card is like "You attack the steaks with gusto, destroying them completely, the group of people were powerful witches who curse you."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

!Klams posted:

Along the 'no role playing' line, it took us a while to work out how you're meant to play the town and road events too. We'd been doing it purely from a rp'ing perspective, but a lot (most) of the time it seems like there's a right answer that you can sort of deduce. Only, a few of them have been ambiguous enough that what we've all agreed to do has actually been the opposite of what the card intended. E.g. (Not a real example but something similar to): "There's a group of people fighting over a plate of steaks, do you attack them, or try to calm the situation?" and we're all "Oh well for sure we want some juicy steaks, lets attack!" and then the card is like "You attack the steaks with gusto, destroying them completely, the group of people were powerful witches who curse you."

I find it interesting that a lot of the time if the card is explicitly racist against Inox or Vermlings then you should help the Inox or Vermlings. If it's not, then they're probably doing something bad.
Which is funny, to me anyway.
The only real choice seems to be if you want your party to be evil or good and that's about it.

Your card idea is fantastic though. I'm surprised there's not explicitly a Gloomhaven Quest Helper app so you can keep track of stuff like that, rather than just the general Gloomhaven app (which I really don't like)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Taear posted:

Oh, I know. We're pretty open about Quests in general, and I know my party's quests and their unlocks. I'm chill in part because I know everyone else is working towards the last few PQ rewards we're missing. I just personally enjoy being cagey.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
The FAQ doesn't seem to address this - Does "Ignore Scenario Effects" also ignore the room effects in random scenarios?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

I ride bikes all day posted:

The FAQ doesn't seem to address this - Does "Ignore Scenario Effects" also ignore the room effects in random scenarios?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1749563/does-ignore-negative-scenario-effects-work-random

No, per Isaac.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

No, they only specifically ignore the scenario effects in the "special scenario rules" block at the beginning of some scenarios.

They also don't work for effects from Road events or some effects from interior rooms.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Taear posted:

I'm surprised there's not explicitly a Gloomhaven Quest Helper app so you can keep track of stuff like that, rather than just the general Gloomhaven app (which I really don't like)

This web app is pretty handy and spoiler free: https://dmungin.github.io/gloomhaven-scenario-tree-ng/

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

plester1 posted:

This web app is pretty handy and spoiler free: https://dmungin.github.io/gloomhaven-scenario-tree-ng/

Thanks for that, I'll have a bash with it!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

!Klams posted:

We revealed all our personal quests after a few sessions because it felt like people were playing at odds with each other, which, like I get in terms of 'role playing', but, lets be honest, there's pretty much no role playing going on in Gloomhaven, so to have the only element be a general sense of unease that someone might gently caress over your once a week 6 hour gaming session didn't really seem worth it. It turned out to be a GREAT idea for us, because, yeah, we were essentially going to dick each over otherwise. The final straw was learning from this thread that it's possible to have the same unlock reward as each other. I honestly don't know how I'd feel if after what looks like its going to take at least another 4 sessions to complete, someone else unlocked my character. I know there are other things that get unlocked instead, but that's obviously no where near as cool.

In terms of missions, we were saying, it would be so good if for every mission, there was a card that had all the fluff on it, all the details of where it was, the quest that lead to it, and then little scratch off portions for what treasure chests contain, what the achievement unlocked at the end is, and which subsequent missions are unlocked afterwards. That way you'd have a deck of 'available missions', with all the details apart from dungeon layout, and it would be super easy to see what was open to you. As is, whenever we start playing it's a case of scouring the board, reading relevant entries and trying to work out what we were 'supposed' to be doing. The fact that you can do things like the "choose to kill a guy" mission, then go back later and do the "choose to take a quest from that guy" mission really doesn't help either. I understand that would be more expensive, but, y'know. At this point, really, its sort of a drop in the ocean.

Our group role plays the crap out of our characters. RP is all in your imagination. Take the loose description given on the character card, add in personal goal and just make up whatever else you want. It's fun and owns and makes our sessions a lot more fun.

I agree with you on PQs being public knowledge. We're at the point where we're coordinating retirements and it's been good times.

My Mindthief just needs a few more specific enemy kills to retire and unlock Cthulu. I'm pretty hype since I'm the last character of our original party to retire. The class is still fun as heck but I want to try something new.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Our group role plays the crap out of our characters. RP is all in your imagination. Take the loose description given on the character card, add in personal goal and just make up whatever else you want. It's fun and owns and makes our sessions a lot more fun.

I agree with you on PQs being public knowledge. We're at the point where we're coordinating retirements and it's been good times.

My Mindthief just needs a few more specific enemy kills to retire and unlock Cthulu. I'm pretty hype since I'm the last character of our original party to retire. The class is still fun as heck but I want to try something new.

mindthief -> cthulhu face is a p. good transition, that was my first as well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Impermanent posted:

mindthief -> cthulhu face is a p. good transition, that was my first as well.

I feel like trying to retire my Cragheart (to go to Moon which I think I know what it is by this point) is taking an insane amount of time. I'm level 8 now and the only remaining original character.
Just one more loving sidequest to do. I just have to find it.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Taear posted:

I feel like trying to retire my Cragheart (to go to Moon which I think I know what it is by this point) is taking an insane amount of time. I'm level 8 now and the only remaining original character.
Just one more loving sidequest to do. I just have to find it.

Random Scenarios count as side quests. We started dreading the normal way so much that we retired our Spellweaver via these. Guest designed scenarios are poo poo/

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Random Scenarios count as side quests. We started dreading the normal way so much that we retired our Spellweaver via these. Guest designed scenarios are poo poo/

yeah every single geust scenario is Bad

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Impermanent posted:

yeah every single geust scenario is Bad

I'm dreading the "expansion" for this very reason. Supposedly they're all written by one of the guest designers?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

I'm dreading the "expansion" for this very reason. Supposedly they're all written by one of the guest designers?

Yes, it was an unplanned expansion where some guy just wrote a bunch of scenarios. The planned expansion is still a ways away it sounds like.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i think the actual class is done by isaac though so probably just pick it up for the class.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The class mechanics sound dope, I'm looking forward to that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I saw the class at GenCon but sadly did not get to demo it. Lots of teleporting and creating rifts which are like traps but don't count as traps so I think enemies won't avoid them.

Small hand size of like 8 or 9 cards but very few loss cards. Seems interesting.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Those of us who enjoyed the wide scenarios are looking forward to it.

Scenario 76 is a particular stand-out in terms of interesting design.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I really liked 73. You know those scenarios that have an interesting gimmick which changes the tactics but isn't annoying or frustrating. Too bad there are only like, five of those and the rest of the guest scenarios fall into tedious, obnoxious, or poorly balanced. gently caress you #78 with 2 players.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

A bunch of the guest scenarios are fine, or good. I certainly wouldn't write them all off.

Narsham posted:

Those of us who enjoyed the wide scenarios are looking forward to it.

Scenario 76 is a particular stand-out in terms of interesting design.

It's interesting but has one huge problem: since there's no enemy in the chest room if you open it late you may not be able to loot the chest before finishing the scenario. The chest is basically the reward for doing the scenario and it's a cheap gotcha.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I really liked 73. You know those scenarios that have an interesting gimmick which changes the tactics but isn't annoying or frustrating. Too bad there are only like, five of those and the rest of the guest scenarios fall into tedious, obnoxious, or poorly balanced. gently caress you #78 with 2 players.

I don't care if I repeat myself from this page.

SuperKlaus posted:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I hadn't noticed a difference between the side quests and the normal quests, what's so bad about them?
I guess I've only done 4 (number 5 this week) though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Scenarios 52+ aren't all guest scenarios (and they certainly aren't all bad) but they have a heavier reliance on gimmicks, some of which don't work that well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Scenarios 52+ aren't all guest scenarios (and they certainly aren't all bad) but they have a heavier reliance on gimmicks, some of which don't work that well.

There was one where we had to smash trees and stop oozes spawning, is that the sort of stuff you mean?
I guess it provided a break up from "Kill all enemies" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
My favorite example of poorly designed quest mechanics are the ones that make them potentially unwinnable without certain cards/classes/items.

Scenario 88 So the goal is to kill an elite guy who drops a goal chest and then bring it to the other side of the room. Sounds fine, except there's a current because it's an underwater level, so you get pushed back one hex each round (and take damage if you can't go backwards). Except you also get -1 to all your movements as a scenario effect. And then if you're carrying the item you also get -2 to all your moves. That's -3 to all moves and you go backwards one hex per turn. Oh that move 4 that's generally considered a good move? It's a move zero. Hope you brought boots or a scoundrel or maybe a spellweaver because otherwise you're not beating it! (Granted you can negate the current by being behind an obstacle and the -1 move IS a scenario effect but not every class gets to ignore those). We absolutely cheated and ignored the -2 move from carrying the quest item because that's dumb as hell.