Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Megazver posted:

They can also notice the Assassin's Creed series, who released a heavily criticized entry in the series (and, poo poo, it wasn't that bad) which sold fine, but then had its next release's sales hit hard because of it and had to seriously restructure and soft-reboot how they're handling the series to win the fans back.

And the new Assassin's Creed is heavily influenced by Witcher 3, lol. I listened to a podcast with the lead and he's been name-dropping unprompted over and over.

I might just be a grumpy grognard, but I am getting the vibe F76 might finally get hit by some public backlash.

Yes, the witcher influence in origins was very obvious and now odyssey is even more so. It even has dialog trees and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

can't wait for someone to accidentally break Bethesda's servers by banning every single player they come across

BoS Paladin: "blocked blocked. blocked. youre all blocked. none of you are free of radiation"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

corn in the bible posted:

Yes, the witcher influence in origins was very obvious and now odyssey is even more so. It even has dialog trees and stuff

drat, dialogue trees? Straight out of The Witcher.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/YhDNPah.mp4

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ymgve posted:

No seriously, what are you talking about? The Witcher 3 world was basically static, whatever you did in sidequests never had far reaching consequences.

I'm not saying the game was bad, but it's not some living breathing dynamic world.

drat, what a dipshit opinion. Or a really good troll? I guess you can never really tell with this thread.

Whenever these "well your choices don't really matter" arguments come up I always wonder what game actually meets those standards. I always assume it's either none or some BS answer like Dwarf Fortress or Fallout 3 because you can blow up that one town and make your dad yell at you.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

2house2fly posted:

drat, dialogue trees? Straight out of The Witcher.

it's got a bunch of witcher 3 stuff in it; they even copied how roach works with the auto-navigation etc because it works well and vehicles in asscreed were always kind of awkward before

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Wolfsheim posted:

drat, what a dipshit opinion. Or a really good troll? I guess you can never really tell with this thread.

Whenever these "well your choices don't really matter" arguments come up I always wonder what game actually meets those standards. I always assume it's either none or some BS answer like Dwarf Fortress or Fallout 3 because you can blow up that one town and make your dad yell at you.

i think it boils down to can i tell every NPC to gently caress off and kill child npcs

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

it's got a bunch of witcher 3 stuff in it; they even copied how roach works with the auto-navigation etc because it works well and vehicles in asscreed were always kind of awkward before

I don't play Asscreed but I'm having a good lol imagining how the vehicles must have been before for the Witcher horse to be an improvement

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
lmao TW3 literally has an option to simulate all the choices from the first 2 games so that they are properly referenced in dialog and quests, seems pretty reactive to me, by today's standards

man, the idea of saves transferring between games really makes me miss QFG. imagine an episodic FO with save file import.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

carry over saves aren't great really they kind of are hell for devs to juggle all variables instead of just focusing on writing a game

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There was one good reactive bit in Witcher 3 where Yennefer got mad that I didn't pick "are you ok?" as my first dialogue option. That one brought back memories of Alpha Protocol

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

If you try to romance both of them throughout the game they both end up dumping you at the end. That's a pretty good consequence for your actions.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
People in the Witcher thread are still finding new small ways in which your actions affect things, "non-reactive" indeed.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Wrr posted:

If you try to romance both of them throughout the game they both end up dumping you at the end. That's a pretty good consequence for your actions.

It's one of my favorite scenes in the whole game.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

People in the Witcher thread are still finding new small ways in which your actions affect things, "non-reactive" indeed.

Ya but you can't blow up an entire city by clicking a button. It's just boring character growth stuff! No Explosions No Reaction!

Actually a much better example of the game reacting to player choice is the ending changing based on how you treat Ciri throughout the game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wrr posted:

Ya but you can't blow up an entire city by clicking a button. It's just boring character growth stuff! No Explosions No Reaction!

Actually a much better example of the game reacting to player choice is the ending changing based on how you treat Ciri throughout the game.

I kinda liked that in Dishonored too, how the girl becomes a sociopath if you play like one

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

2house2fly posted:

I don't play Asscreed but I'm having a good lol imagining how the vehicles must have been before for the Witcher horse to be an improvement

Roach can't even climb near-vertical mountains. Skyrim horse is where it's at :colbert:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ya ever just run off in a random direction away from quest markers and just explore the world at level one?

It's a lot of fun and makes the game seem a lot better than it actually is

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Vinylshadow posted:

Ya ever just run off in a random direction away from quest markers and just explore the world at level one?

It's a lot of fun and makes the game seem a lot better than it actually is

This is 90% of the reason people like any Bethesda game :raise:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wolfsheim posted:

One of the most fun things to do in Oblivion is to beeline it to the Mehrunes Razor megadungeon after the sewers and try not to die. You end up in mostly broken underleveled trash because the of the scaling but it's like four hours of constantly swapping in and out of things and finding spell tomes and poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alternative start mods are good for that. I started a lot of New Vegas games in the middle of the city.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Wolfsheim posted:

Isn't this how you play every adventure/RPG/open world game? The second you're given control you run off in the "wrong" direction, poke through all the random crap you can see, hunt for any sidequests you can find and put off doing the main story until it's absolutely necessary to progress.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Isn't this how you play every adventure/RPG/open world game? The second you're given control you run off in the "wrong" direction, poke through all the random crap you can see, hunt for any sidequests you can find and put off doing the main story until it's absolutely necessary to progress.

Eh, depends if there's some useful benefit to the main story. I always blitz the main quest in fo4 til the brotherhood shows up just to make it less irritating to get around in survival. and often push all the way to institutionalized for easy porting back to diamond city

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
When starting out with a new character in FO4 I'll usually play through the main quest until Sanctuary is up and running, then piss off and explore whatever for a while. If I happen to drift close to Diamond City I'll probably also get Piper and Valentine out of the way, too. When I get to the point where I want to do Far Harbor I'll go back and race through the main story to the point where the Institute is unlocked and then from there may or may not ever pick it back up from there after depending on how quickly I get bored of the character. Screwing around with the MassFusion building is fun, but getting there is a bit of a slog.

I generally avoid playing on survival though so the vertibirds aren't as critical to getting around if I really want or need to be somewhere else. Loved it in New Vegas but it never really clicked for me in 4, I can't quite place my finger on why.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Yeah man, but that's a standard AC thing. They switched to arkham combat for a few years too, and they'll chase the next successful game's mechanics too (or mobile mission deployment, or a tower defense minigame).

Not that other games don't do it, but they'll drop it to move to the next thing just as fast as they pick it up, for better or worse.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I preorder.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I generally avoid playing on survival though so the vertibirds aren't as critical to getting around if I really want or need to be somewhere else. Loved it in New Vegas but it never really clicked for me in 4, I can't quite place my finger on why.

Been a while since I've played NV, but I'm pretty sure survival didn't turn off fast travel, which would be a big difference.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
For me it wasn't the fast travel being turned off. I liked the aspect of having to sort of plan out an expedition. Makes hangman's alley a nice vital central location.

The killer for me with survival was only being able to save at beds. I hated survival until I got a mod that let's you make sleeping bags and camps.

Then survival was actually fun.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/65611

:popeye:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
So that's pretty :catstare:, but now I'm a little surprised some of the New Vegas team didn't sneak themselves in as crucified victims somewhere.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Keeshhound posted:

So that's pretty :catstare:, but now I'm a little surprised some of the New Vegas team didn't sneak themselves in as crucified victims somewhere.

I thought that's what the "slave" title was for

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've started exploring Far Harbor, (thanks to the folks who said to bring Nick) and I found a funny set piece.
I was poking around an all you can eat chowder restaurant, and behind the place, there was a lineup of skeletons waiting to get into the outhouse. Gave me a giggle.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've started exploring Far Harbor, (thanks to the folks who said to bring Nick) and I found a funny set piece.
I was poking around an all you can eat chowder restaurant, and behind the place, there was a lineup of skeletons waiting to get into the outhouse. Gave me a giggle.

Nick Valentine is the protagonist of a better game that we only get hints of. Nick and Dogmeat (and Piper) solving mysteries in the Commonwealth is something I want to see more of. He seems like the most fleshed-out companion (hey-o) with strong ties to the main story in both the Commonwealth and Far Harbor, and the other companions just get their personal quest and some faction-related stuff (Deacon, Danse, and probably the Institute guy I've never gotten far enough in the story to meet). I guess technically MacReady already had a bunch of his backstory done in the previous game, but everyone apart from Nick seems really basic in comparison. (edit: Piper has some ties to the "find your kid" part of the main quest, too.)

Preston getting mad at you for becoming a Raider Queen if you do Nuka World before meeting him is pretty good and funny, though (spoilers probably not necessary, but there might be people who haven't done that yet).

And for the last loving time, Nick: yes, I'm building a collection. I've been building a collection since before you met me, as well as the entire time we've known each other. I take all the things from everywhere we've been, and I'm keeping a chest full of teddy bears and empty Nuka Cola bottles. You've seen it. Get a new line, clockwork dick.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 8, 2018

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
a broken clock is erect twice a day

ahahaha fallout 76 will have npcs with the most minimal dialogue. also you can't converse with npcs so its the mmo thing of "Man talks at you to go kill 30 enemies", I cant wait for fallout 77, cause I sure don't want fallout 76!

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 8, 2018

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So I'm playing through Fallout 2 and just got to the den. I found Fred and I know you can get some good poo poo from him later if you let him keep some of the money, I just can't remember which situation gets you the most? Do you just pay it all off for him? Do you talk to him and get 100 and then give him 50 back? I just can't remember.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So I'm playing through Fallout 2 and just got to the den. I found Fred and I know you can get some good poo poo from him later if you let him keep some of the money, I just can't remember which situation gets you the most? Do you just pay it all off for him? Do you talk to him and get 100 and then give him 50 back? I just can't remember.

Pay his debt for him and give him and then come back a couple months later and he'll be wearing a suit and give you $2000, a plasma grenade and a shitload of energy ammo. If you give him $50 back he'll just give you $1000.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 8, 2018

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

The Zombie Guy posted:

If you find a drive-in theater with 2 screens, try flipping the breakers. Don't engage the enemy. Also, the bowling alley has a neat thing inside.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

spit on my clit posted:

a broken clock is erect twice a day

ahahaha fallout 76 will have npcs with the most minimal dialogue. also you can't converse with npcs so its the mmo thing of "Man talks at you to go kill 30 enemies", I cant wait for fallout 77, cause I sure don't want fallout 76!

Man, forget Fallout 77, when are they going to release Fallout 5 through 74?! I've heard rumors some pretty crazy things happen in Fallout 69.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Fallout 5 will be a loot crate drop. You buy a loot crate at $60 retail with COSMETIC items for the game and a chance at an actual game code inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MariusLecter posted:

Fallout 5 will be a loot crate drop. You buy a loot crate at $60 retail with COSMETIC items for the game and a chance at an actual game code inside.

Fallout 5 is going to be Fallout Shelter, but released as an AAA $60 game.