Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Taear posted:

I wish every game worked like Stellaris, where the developers are constantly updating and giving you information about what's happening.
I feel like modern paradox (and Obsidian too, don't get me wrong, other companies do it) have spoiled other games for me because they actually talk and update us.

Same here. Those same two companies, in fact. I’m sure that’s one of the reasons that probably two thirds of my gaming time the last few years has been spent playing their games. Helps that the game director for both Stellaris and Deadfire are willing to be active parts of the community here.

Actually kind of on that note, if any of the Paradox folks are around, I’m curious kind of how the team is broken up. Or is that a fluid thing? I was surprised to see something like yesterday’s patch drop at the same time this crazy overhaul is also in design. Is there some small part of the team that handles ongoing updates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Sneak peak at the new 'Empire Size' mechanic mentions during yesterday's stream:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1038062784469196801

Number of planets isn't the only determining factor in hitting your cap. The degree to which you've developed them also plays a role, though I suspect the two will move rather closely in tandem.

Edit: actually misread that on my tiny phone screen. Planets don't seem to factor into it at all. Rather, the number of systems you now own is also a deciding factor whereas currently it doesn't matter after you build a station.

E2: campaigns are like edicts, but slightly different than how they run now apparently.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 7, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Wonder what a "Campaign" is, has that been discussed?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish empire size penalties also created demand for more government/ruler jobs on your capital otherwise you'd suffer even more of a penalty. You could end up having a Holy Terra situation where most of the planet is just a giant hive of government workers. Alternatively sectors could factor in, with sector capitals letting you offload some of this government-work demand to regional capitals but at the cost of potential autonomy issues in the future.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

GunnerJ posted:

Wonder what a "Campaign" is, has that been discussed?

I assume it means the big resource dump empire edict things, like healthcare campaigns etc. I mean I know their costs are fixed at the moment, but the whole update is a big honking economy update so :shrug:

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Surprised no one posted the patch yet.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...s-42f6.1117830/

Jamor posted:

#################################################################
######################### VERSION 2.1.3 ###########################
#################################################################

###################
# Features
###################

* Updated the game for GDPR compliance (basically, a once-only popup on first launch of 2.1.3 with some legal text to read and accept, as now required by EU law)
* Added buttons to view privacy policy from ingame
* Added new clothes and hairstyles for humans, humanoids, and mammalians
* Added inscrutable mystery to Distant Stars
* Added follow-ups for the Atomic Clock anomaly
* Added event for when an AI empire is close to unlocking the L-Cluster
* Added some unique diplomacy text for Ketlings
* Impossible Organism anomaly chain is now also available for Assimilators and Rogue Servitors
* Impossible Organism anomaly chain tooltips and Special Projects are now more clear on what they actually do
* We now display Steam rich presence data to your Steam friends, showing not just that you're in game, but also your empire name, their ethics, and game date

###################
# Balance
###################

* The AI Uprising now has drastically increased naval capacity for a few years after forming, preventing immediate bankruptcy due to over-capacity upkeep costs
* Switched combat disengage chance so that Destroyers and Cruisers now have the highest survivability, followed by Titans and Battleships, with Corvettes coming last. 'Tis better to be the screen-ee than the screen-or
* Ships with weapons that have very low tracking will now avoid firing on highly evasive target if another, less evasive target is likely to become available soon (ie: Titans should no longer fire their main gun on corvettes if there's cruisers or battleships just outside range)
* Reduced spawn_chance weights for the Vechtar Zavonia/Mardak Vol Anomaly
* Lowered chance of Brainslugged leaders, increased Unrest modifier after Brainslugging pops

###################
# Modding
###################

* Move url strings from NDefines::NInterface to code
* Errors are now logged only once by default, except those logs used in OOS hunting. You can use the "-logall" to log errors every time they appear instead of only once

###################
# Bugfixes
###################

* AI will no longer accidentally try to research already researched technologies
* Mardak purgers fleets no longer use bouquets of flowers as the warheads of their missiles, and their bombardment can now actually cause damage
* Fixed the Unbidden Portal being vulnerable while the Extradimensional Invaders still have active Anchors
* Fixed literally unplayable typos
* Fixed a case of COUNTRY_UNITY out of sync
* Fixed an out of sync with COUNTRY_ENERGY
* Fixed Contingency starbases being so confident in their imposing demeanor that they didn't bother to use their weapon slots
* Fixed broken text string for the upkeep of gene warrior armies
* Fixed pacifist description for the ancient mining drones event wrongly referencing your home system instead of the one where the drones were
* Added game rule exception to allow you to take hostile action against factions that have conquered your planets, meaning situations like the mutant horrors event can now be properly resolved
* Enigmatic Cache traits can no longer be applied through gene modification, so you can't spam them on all your planets outside the intended scope of the event
* Fixed Impossible Organism event to allow Nivlacs to be spawned on any planet with free housing, not just the capital
* Fixed advanced start AI empires not getting all the extra colonies they should start with
* Added missing loc for when you deny an Awakened Empire's offer of status quo peace
* Disabling primitive civilizations in game setup will now actually remove most of them, except for certain ones required for events
* Fixed a non-completable special project that could appear if you have tutorial activated and your first alien contact is a Leviathan
* Fixed the Scavenger Bot not counting as a leviathan for the purpose of satisfying military faction demands
* Fixed missing notification event on first entering the "quiet" version of the L-Cluster
* Fixed a crash related to armies landing
* Fixed some unneeded spamming of error logs
* Fixed fire control ship component not working properly
* Ketlings will now no longer cheekily spawn on shattered worlds
* Several Distant Stars anomalies that were unnecessarily blocked for hive minds are now available to them
* Fixed small psionic shields having the wrong stats
* Fixed incorrect empire names showing up in diplomatic dialogue when a Peace Offer is accepted
* Fixed OOS when you host a game on a Mac
I bolded the big one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

I bolded the big one.

Woah that's big.
Shame no one can play the game until like Christmas.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Weird, that balance stuff wasn’t in the patch notes yesterday. I wonder what that even means. Do corvettes now have the lowest chance to disengage? Or just a lower enough chance that they’re the least survivable overall?

The change below that seems like it could be pretty impactful as well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I bolded the big one.

quote:

* Added follow-ups for the Atomic Clock anomaly

Good! Leaving us hanging on this event made the game literally unplayable. :v:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm glad the Mardok Vol thing is changed because I got that in literally every game I played since Distant Stars.
Which isn't BAD I guess, but it seems stupid.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I have literally never seen the Vechtar Zavonia/Mardak Vol Anomaly. Is it single player only or something?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It's part of the Distant Stars story pack, not sure if it (or any events) are locked to single or multiplayer modes.

I get it pretty routinely. Nice to have a large gaia planet in your empire. Some strangers always come along and offer to clean up that nasty fungal infection at no charge as well.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Be interesting if that change to corvettes makes them no longer the God of All Things.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

PittTheElder posted:

I have literally never seen the Vechtar Zavonia/Mardak Vol Anomaly. Is it single player only or something?

You'd definitely only be able to have one instance per game so maybe the other people you're playing with got it?
And yea it's distant stars only.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Aethernet posted:

Be interesting if that change to corvettes makes them no longer the God of All Things.

Looks like it make cruisers even better, which is fine with me. Double afterburner cruisers were already pretty fast, so this just makes them live even longer.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

quote:

* We now display Steam rich presence data to your Steam friends, showing not just that you're in game, but also your empire name, their ethics, and game date

But now all my friends will know when I'm playing as my erotic empires! :ohdear:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Curious what my friends make of Best Birds

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
"Oh, yeah, hey... I just named my xenophobic authoritarians the Fourth Reich ironically, OK?"

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Is the contingency end game crisis probability fixed yet? Or does it still take place most of the time.

Also, does anybody know what the "1999 A.D." achievement is a reference to?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Nevets posted:

"Oh, yeah, hey... I just named my xenophobic authoritarians the Fourth Reich ironically, OK?"

They're adding the same to HOI4 so all your friends know how much you love playing Nazi Germany or the Confederacy.

Tarquinn posted:

Is the contingency end game crisis probability fixed yet? Or does it still take place most of the time.

Also, does anybody know what the "1999 A.D." achievement is a reference to?

The end game crisis is still a bit messed up but I have seen the others show up. Still very heavily stacked towards Contingency though.

Going to assume the 1999 A.D. achievement is in reference to Crono Trigger, since it involves something similar to how the world ends in that game.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The end game crisis is still a bit messed up but I have seen the others show up. Still very heavily stacked towards Contingency though.

Going to assume the 1999 A.D. achievement is in reference to Crono Trigger, since it involves something similar to how the world ends in that game.
- Aw, drat. :sad:

- That makes sense. Thanks! :tipshat:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Want to start playing, but also this new patch sounds super good and worth waiting for.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I get the unbidden almost every time, then again I mostly play spiritualists and psi jump is just so tempting

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Meridian posted:

Want to start playing, but also this new patch sounds super good and worth waiting for.

From the way they're talking it won't come out until early next year

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

From the way they're talking it won't come out until early next year

Oh, that is good to know, I had thought it was more or less around the corner.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Anno posted:

Weird, that balance stuff wasn’t in the patch notes yesterday. I wonder what that even means. Do corvettes now have the lowest chance to disengage? Or just a lower enough chance that they’re the least survivable overall?

The change below that seems like it could be pretty impactful as well.

Yeah I'm curious about this as well. I'm guessing by "survivable" they're talking strictly about disengage chance because it would be really weird for titans and battelships to be comparatively fragile, but honestly I'm happy for anything that keeps destroyers from dying like flies.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

On my latest spiritualist run i built a god ray for the hell of it. something like 10 years later there was a machine uprising in the empire next to me.

Just as planned. :smug:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I bolded the big one.

quote:

* Switched combat disengage chance so that Destroyers and Cruisers now have the highest survivability, followed by Titans and Battleships, with Corvettes coming last. 'Tis better to be the screen-ee than the screen-or
* Ships with weapons that have very low tracking will now avoid firing on highly evasive target if another, less evasive target is likely to become available soon (ie: Titans should no longer fire their main gun on corvettes if there's cruisers or battleships just outside range)

both of these are huge

corvette swarm is dead, folks, and good riddance

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Speaking of steam overlays and poo poo, is there a way to turn all that off? This last week or so I keep getting pop-ups in the bottom right corner any time I have steam on, in game or out, telling me very important news about patches and promotions for every god drat game I've ever put on a wishlist or followed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jazerus posted:

both of these are huge

Praise the sun

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Speaking of steam overlays and poo poo, is there a way to turn all that off? This last week or so I keep getting pop-ups in the bottom right corner any time I have steam on, in game or out, telling me very important news about patches and promotions for every god drat game I've ever put on a wishlist or followed.

Steam > Settings > Ingame?

Or Settings > Interface for out of game.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Jazerus posted:

both of these are huge

At least until the next time they shuffle which ship classes are op and which are garbage.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

At least until the next time they shuffle which ship classes are op and which are garbage.

nothing is garbage now though

corvettes are still necessary, you still need a lot of them, preferably more than your opponent has - mixed fleets have always needed a big corvette screen. they're just not able to sustain against big ships when they don't have backup from other ship classes anymore

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Does this mean destroyers actually have a role to play now? Maybe hit-and-run rapid response fleets made up entirely of Destroyers/Cruisers for the speed/disengage combo?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jabarto posted:

Yeah I'm curious about this as well. I'm guessing by "survivable" they're talking strictly about disengage chance because it would be really weird for titans and battelships to be comparatively fragile, but honestly I'm happy for anything that keeps destroyers from dying like flies.
How likely they are to survive emergency FTL maybe? I can tell you this, my corvettes are definitely not surviving lost fights too good anymore.

I just had a weird thing happen. I did the event that results in the promising young protege scientist and chose the scientist. I got a popup describing them (scientist, genius, military theory), and appeared in my leader screen as a nameless unselectable admiral with no attributes other than a picture. Then I gave up a different scientist to the Science FE and the broken admiral turned back into the scientist (which was useful given the circumstances)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Keret posted:

Does this mean destroyers actually have a role to play now? Maybe hit-and-run rapid response fleets made up entirely of Destroyers/Cruisers for the speed/disengage combo?

That might work. Large mount + PD for the destroyers, all mediums on the cruisers? The cruisers will completely shred corvettes/destroyers, while the destroyers will but the hurt on the opponent cruisers. They can then both take their time on the battleships, while still having some evasion.

I guess you could also do 2+2 L/M on the cruisers, but I always liked just going with all mediums.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Taear posted:

I wish every game worked like Stellaris, where the developers are constantly updating and giving you information about what's happening.
I feel like modern paradox (and Obsidian too, don't get me wrong, other companies do it) have spoiled other games for me because they actually talk and update us.

:same: This is basically the reason paradox and obsidian are the only places I will preorder things from.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

binge crotching posted:

That might work. Large mount + PD for the destroyers, all mediums on the cruisers? The cruisers will completely shred corvettes/destroyers, while the destroyers will but the hurt on the opponent cruisers. They can then both take their time on the battleships, while still having some evasion.

I guess you could also do 2+2 L/M on the cruisers, but I always liked just going with all mediums.

Full-Broadside Cruisers are definitely the coolest. I like to put the best ballistics I can on every slot and call it an Iowa. :v:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
poo poo I can't find the post I wanted to reply to now, but some goon said instead of a planet screen there should be a system screen, and you could build system buildings instead of stations

I could see this working out really well, and strongly support this, except it basically torpedoes all the construction ships, but more importantly it may threaten Sexy Planets DLC and I can't abide that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Honestly they should just get rid of construction ships entirely. You could use the local starbase to queue up all your mining & research stations, and any megastructures. Building outposts could be done by letting you start construction on one in any surveyed system with no hostile forces, and add a construction speed penalty for how far away from your territory it is. Just select the star and click a 'build outpost' button.