Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Augus posted:

lmao who are you copying this line from

I wasn't copy-pasting, but I was deliberately arguing in bad faith to provoke a response because I'm bored at work and have no supervision. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

play mario party with your offline friends like god intended

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Brother Entropy posted:

I'm not 12 anymore. My friends live all across the globe.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

But don't most online shooters save the user profile and stats entirely online?

most of them do the sane thing, yes

American McGay posted:

I honestly don't even know what a Splatoon 2 save entails anyway. Isn't all that stuff tied to my online account? If I accidentally break my Switch and buy a new one and pop in Splatoon 2 is my ranking reset? What about my gear?

Same as the first game, all of your data including gear and rank is stored locally and if you lose it that stuff's gone.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

I wasn't copy-pasting, but I was deliberately arguing in bad faith to provoke a response because I'm bored at work and have no supervision. :v:

some men just want to watch the world burn

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Fawf posted:

most of them do the sane thing, yes

Same as the first game, all of your data including gear and rank is stored locally and if you lose it that stuff's gone.
That's incredibly hosed up considering how many hours people put into getting those ranks and gear. Nintendo does it again.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

American McGay posted:

I'm not 12 anymore. My friends live all across the globe.

look at this loser who didn't have international friends when he was 12

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Brother Entropy posted:

Sure ok but if lovely budget games can have online no probz, why not a AAA offering from globally renowned and extremely successful corporation Nintendo?

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 7, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

American McGay posted:

I honestly don't even know what a Splatoon 2 save entails anyway. Isn't all that stuff tied to my online account? If I accidentally break my Switch and buy a new one and pop in Splatoon 2 is my ranking reset? What about my gear?

Yeah if you get a new console, transfer your Nintendo account but don't transfer your saves, and download Splatoon and start it up, you'll be level 1 with no gear. Nothing is tied to your online account

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Man, the final bit of Super Mario Odyssey where you hat-mindrape Bowser is great.

content
Feb 13, 2014

TheScott2K posted:

Man, the final bit of Super Mario Odyssey where you hat-mindrape Bowser is great.

:chloe:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TheScott2K posted:

That's an interesting way of describing it, completely normal and not actually hosed up poster TheScott2K.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Augus posted:

some men just want to watch the world burn

Thank God the heatwave is over.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KingSlime posted:

Sure ok but if lovely budget games can have online no probz, why not a AAA offering from globally renowned and extremely successful corporation Nintendo?

It’s a deliberate choice by them and I’m surprised we’re getting anything online at all. Maybe Super Mario Party 3 will finally have the full board game online (but only with friends).:smith:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Yeah if you get a new console, transfer your Nintendo account but don't transfer your saves, and download Splatoon and start it up, you'll be level 1 with no gear. Nothing is tied to your online account

Yeah, I spilled water on my switch and when I sent it, they wiped it but saved my card, but I still had to start over in spla2n. It's terrible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah, I spilled water on my switch and when I sent it, they wiped it but saved my card, but I still had to start over in spla2n. It's terrible.

Well to be fair water is the number one weakness for a splatling

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
It's what you do to him

It's not ok

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

cloudsave seems like the kind of thing you'd really want for a game like Pokemon, kind of a massive fuckup since even 3DS had an online "bank"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DLC Inc posted:

cloudsave seems like the kind of thing you'd really want for a game like Pokemon, kind of a massive fuckup since even 3DS had an online "bank"

Welp, that egg didn't hatch right.

*deletes game*
*reinstalls game*
*loads cloud save*

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Takoluka posted:

*deletes game*
*reinstalls game*
*loads cloud save*
This might honestly be it, since Splatoon also has items you can spend for a random stat roll.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

*deletes game*
*reinstalls game*
*loads cloud save*

oh no not the integrity of pokemon breeding

better deprive people of a great convenience feature to retain it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pokemon doesn’t need cloud save

It will be an online only title :getin:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

American McGay posted:

This might honestly be it, since Splatoon also has items you can spend for a random stat roll.

Splatoon 1 pro scene literally thrived on save scumming so this kind of makes sense in the most Nintendo way possible. Forget coding it differently.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Andrast posted:

The 2018 Pokémon World Championship had a combined prize pool of around $500,000. They're going to shut down every possible avenue that might see an exploit ever.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

The 2018 Pokémon World Championship had a combined prize pool of around $500,000. They're going to shut down every possible avenue that might see an exploit ever.

I'm pretty sure anyone playing competitive pokemon is going to have breeded the perfect pokemon for it, savescumming or no

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Andrast posted:

Right? That's definitely not why. They're just lazy/incompetent, it has nothing to do with the "sanctity" of any game haha.

It's ok guys. A lot of professional orgs make stupid or lazy decisions all the time, no need to try and read tea leaves in order to find justifications for their anti consumer actions

Takoluka posted:

Yeah sure thing pal

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 7, 2018

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

How is everyone enjoying Monster Hunter? On the fence about grabbing it again since I had a 3DS copy.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Meridian posted:

How is everyone enjoying Monster Hunter? On the fence about grabbing it again since I had a 3DS copy.

It's so loving good. The exact same game really but notably pretter and you get TWO THUMBSTICKS

It's a dream come true for me, and I'm an extremely casual fan. I didn't play mhg on 3ds so ymmv but holy poo poo this game has so much content and tons of regions. Not to mention full online support

I made a hunting horn that looks like a guitar last night <3

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Meridian posted:

I like it a lot, what you see is definitely what you get though. I don't really see a reason to double-dip if you already own it on the 3DS unless the upgrades to fidelity are enough for you.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

I like it a lot, what you see is definitely what you get though. I don't really see a reason to double-dip if you already own it on the 3DS unless the upgrades to fidelity are enough for you.

Better camera controls and the rear end load of content compared to World are a draw for sure.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Meridian posted:

Better camera controls and the rear end load of content compared to World are a draw for sure.

rear end load of content that you've already played though I assume?

But yeah I didn't think about trying to control the camera on 3DS. That would definitely be an upgrade, 3DS has garbage camera controls across the board.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is MH kinda like Warriors/Musou games in that it's based around endless grinding for incremental improvements?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is MH kinda like Warriors/Musou games in that it's based around endless grinding for incremental improvements?

what warriors games are you playing

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

rear end load of content that you've already played though I assume?

But yeah I didn't think about trying to control the camera on 3DS. That would definitely be an upgrade, 3DS has garbage camera controls across the board.

I didnt play much honestly. Very early into the game, and then I gave my 3DS to a friend's kid, so it would more or less be a fresh experience.

Love World and it seems that a lot of people regard Generations as the better game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

In many ways yes except the focus isn't on mooks but rather boss encounters. The combat itself is very dark souls 1 esque, deliberate and slow and all about positioning and knowing your weapon movesets. There is like 12 different weapon types and they all play out very very differently

It's extremely addicting, especially because there's tons of bosses/monsters and each one has unique drops that let you craft weapons/armor based on the looks and attributes of that boss. Many fashion options, which is just fabulous and makes the grind even more addicting

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Monster Hunter is about killing dinosaurs and electric foxes and poo poo. The rest is just icing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

In many ways yes except the focus isn't on mooks but rather boss encounters. The combat itself is very dark souls 1 esque, deliberate and slow and all about positioning

It's extremely addicting, especially because there's tons of bosses/monsters and each one has unique drops that let you craft weapons/armor based on the looks and attributes of that boss. Many fashion options, which is just fabulous and makes the grind even more addicting

Besides, monster hunter is only a grind after you're in the endgame.

You can play through game normally and enjoy a decently long action game with basically no grinding if you want to.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Meridian posted:

Well if you haven't played much then I'd definitely recommend it. World has some nice QoL changes, to be sure. But the draw of these games to me is getting to go ham on big, crazy monsters, and MH:GU certainly has a massive amount of that.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Eh, they can be that if you're the kind of person that enjoys that sort of thing. If you're like me though and have zero interest in grinding, you can just progress through the different monster fights, only going back to monsters if there is a particular dope sword or armor set you have your eye on.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

There's a save transfer feature so you can carry over progress from Generations on 3ds, that's kind of a reason. I also think it's great being able to play it on a tv, especially with a pro controller.

Meridian posted:

I'm enjoying it quite a lot, though it's a very important factor that I have an active group to hunt online with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hoping I can get a friend into it. There is also always goons.

• Locked thread