Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dutchy posted:

in comparison...

Lol

Also once the ball is actually snapped some of the guys who are outside of view for the skycam will be running routes that most likely take them into view. You basically just can't see the flat, which is a big improvement over missing everything that isn't within a couple yards of the QB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

iospace posted:

I know NBC/TSN/NHL has been experimenting, and to great success mind you, using the behind the goal camera for power plays. It's a bit of a change because your sense of depth is slightly off, but you can follow the puck movement a lot better, and when the score while using that view, it's great.
It's a perpetually terrible camera angle that they've been trying with 0 success since 2005.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
My favorite thing about working in sports is getting access to the All 22 views. This is pure sports geek poo poo but you can see those late guys coming on or off and plays developing in interesting ways.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Imgur is broke but the first play on this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhaNhfKEQzo

35 yard pass attempt and you don't see the receiver until the ball is out of roethlisberger's hands. There's an interception at about 50 seconds in and you don't see anything about the route developing or whatever, the DB just sort of steps in front of the receiver which is about as good as you would get with the live action sideline view. anyways Another issue is that with the mega wide FOV receivers are incredibly tiny, a safety 20 yards off the LOS looks like about a fifth the size of the quarterback so in the end you end up staring at the QB a lot.

I like the vertical angle but it needs polish. Right now I think I'd rather see all-22 footage get used more on replays and stick with the sideline cam for live action. It's not the madden look but people are still familiar with the x's and o's type of diagram.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"This video contains content from the NFL, who has blocked it from display"

It's impossible to talk about the NFL trying to innovate slightly without remembering they are the NFL.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Lockback posted:

"This video contains content from the NFL, who has blocked it from display"

It's impossible to talk about the NFL trying to innovate slightly without remembering they are the NFL.

I think they just require you to go to actual youtube.com to view it. NFL doesn't allow you to view it if its embedded at another site.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/1035286498961178625

that's some going away present

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Wish there was a Papi's Pipo gangtag

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BWV posted:

Wish there was a Papi's Pipo gangtag

You have the power

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

no, this is a present

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/1035619340845035520
https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/1035633333336719364
https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1035633815400534017

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 31, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brent still creepy and thirsty as all hell

https://twitter.com/brentmusburger/status/1036466436091260928

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The older men get, the hornier they become. 90-year-old Brent Musberger is going to be frightening.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

tensions finally boiled over in the Tigers booth

https://twitter.com/KatieJStrang/status/1037704041898409984

quote:

When​ Mickey​ York and Craig​ Monroe​ threw​ to the​ booth​ during Wednesday​ night’s​ broadcast of​ Fox Sports​​ Detroit’s “Tigers Live” pregame show, an unexpected duo appeared on screen — that of Matt Shepard and Kirk Gibson.

Conspicuously absent from the show was the regular tandem of play-by-play announcer Mario Impemba and analyst Rod Allen.

Multiple sources told The Athletic that neither Impemba nor Allen were part of Wednesday’s broadcast due to a physical altercation between the two television personalities following Tuesday’s game in Chicago against the White Sox. It is not immediately clear what prompted the attack.

According to the accounts of those sources, there has been simmering tension between both Impemba and Allen and the clash of personalities ultimately boiled over on Tuesday night.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can’t wait for Albom’s take that doubles as a promotion for his Ernie Harwell musical

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Can’t wait for Albom’s take that doubles as a promotion for his book about how all the worlds problems can just be solved with ~love~

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/Local4News/status/1037812085600776193

A chair! They had a fight over a loving chair!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

A chair! They had a fight over a loving chair!

I can imagine worse reasons for an office fight to be fair.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

"The 16-year run...is reportedly in serious jeopardy" is some great use of understatement.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

tensions finally boiled over in the Tigers booth

https://twitter.com/KatieJStrang/status/1037704041898409984

Some video of the fight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MLkIwnQIw4

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sports Media Watch posted:

The Falcons-Eagles NFL Kickoff Game earned a 13.4 overnight rating on NBC, down 8% from Chiefs-Patriots last year (14.6), down 19% from Panthers-Broncos in 2016 (16.5) and the lowest for the season opener in ten years.

The 2008 Giants-Washington Kickoff Game, which moved up to 7 PM ET to accommodate the late John McCain‘s acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, had a 10.1. Not counting the 2002 game on ESPN, overnights for which were unavailable, this year’s 13.4 overnight is the fifth-lowest in the history of the game (16 telecasts).

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/1038064299791581184

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 7, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
People just ignoring that network TV ratings are down for everything when talking about NFL ratings is one of my least favorite sports media trends. Relatively speaking it is still incredibly strong.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

People just ignoring that network TV ratings are down for everything when talking about NFL ratings is one of my least favorite sports media trends. Relatively speaking it is still incredibly strong.

oh yeah it still dominated the night, no question of that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

You're not wrong, but it IS still troubling for the NFL since NBA viewership has actually risen over the past 4 years. The NBA is somehow bucking the trend, why isn't the NFL?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The garbage rear end preseason still out rates NBA playoff games, man. Which is dumb! People should not watch the preseason, if you ask me. But sadly such is the world we live in.

The Pro Bowl, which is universially reviled and less an actual football game than a gussied up seven on seven drill with mostly uninterested participants, gets ratings other sports would kill for. People still like football

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 7, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mahoning posted:

You're not wrong, but it IS still troubling for the NFL since NBA viewership has actually risen over the past 4 years. The NBA is somehow bucking the trend, why isn't the NFL?

And thank you for giving me evidence to powerspike any "IT'S BECAUSE OF POLITICS" argument into the ground, given the NBA is much more political than the NFL, from the top down.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Last nights game completely sucked poo poo

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

MourningView posted:

"sure we're drowning but so is everyone else"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Basically my counterargument to the whole "Politics! :byodood:" explanation for NFL ratings boils down to this:

1. Ratings down across the board, with online streaming not counted.
2. NBA is political, but has a ratings increase.
3. NASCAR is political, but has a ratings decrease.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Peanut President posted:

"sure we're drowning but so is everyone else"

It's just not a football specific problem, which is what those stories almost universally try to paint it as.

Also drowning is probably out how I would describe a business that is still absurdly profitable by any reasonable measure

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

happy birthday papi

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

It's just not a football specific problem, which is what those stories almost universally try to paint it as.

Also drowning is probably out how I would describe a business that is still absurdly profitable by any reasonable measure

No one in this thread said it was a football specific problem. The ratings for last night were posted and you suddenly started arguing against a point no one was making.

Just because it is true that no one is tuning out because of "politics", doesn't mean that its not news that NFL ratings continue to decline every year. It doesn't make that potential lost revenue any less real. It is something worth watching and worth talking about without you kramering in here to dismiss any discussion.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Absent any evidence that football is losing viewers at a higher rate than any other programming, I'm not sure what the takeaway from decreased viewership stats should be other than "this multibillion dollar industry may have to learn how to scrape by on a slightly less insane pile of cash"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

xbilkis posted:

Absent any evidence that football is losing viewers at a higher rate than any other programming

Dude

Mahoning posted:

...NBA viewership has actually risen over the past 4 years. The NBA is somehow bucking the trend, why isn't the NFL?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

xbilkis posted:

Absent any evidence that football is losing viewers at a higher rate than any other programming, I'm not sure what the takeaway from decreased viewership stats should be other than "this multibillion dollar industry may have to learn how to scrape by on a slightly less insane pile of cash"

Or how to monetize streaming in a better way than trying to sell people on DirecTV or whatever their current plan is.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

It's easier to grow your audience when you have fewer viewers?

I do think it probably speaks to some issues with how the NFL packages its product for Younger Audiences + the general discourse around the sport, but also

MourningView posted:

The garbage rear end preseason still out rates NBA playoff games, man. Which is dumb! People should not watch the preseason, if you ask me. But sadly such is the world we live in.

The Pro Bowl, which is universially reviled and less an actual football game than a gussied up seven on seven drill with mostly uninterested participants, gets ratings other sports would kill for. People still like football

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

xbilkis posted:

It's easier to grow your audience when you have fewer viewers?

So you claimed that there was no evidence that the NFL is losing viewers at a faster rate than other TV programming, then when presented with that evidence, you say "yeah but way lower ratings to begin with" which is true of literally every other program on TV as well, so quit arguing in bad faith.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i'm gonna paraphrase norm macdonald

the bad news is the nfl's ratings are down

the good news is the ratings for many other shows are down even worse

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nick Martin wrote a very cool eulogy for Mike Hogewood, a legendary broadcaster in North Carolina who passed away Wednesday

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

He was the voice heard in many North Carolina classrooms during the ACC tournament. We all hurt a little today. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgK5GfoW1Dc