Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Update: I cut a hole in my roof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CloFan posted:

Update: I cut a hole in my roof

Some kind of demon is definitely going to kill you and leave your corpse in there

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Which keyless locks do people like? I've been looking at the Samsung 3321 but the Schlage Connect looks pretty good too. I'd prefer not to have smart lock functionality if only because of a slight distrust in IOT things but its not a necessary feature.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shadowhand00 posted:

Which keyless locks do people like? I've been looking at the Samsung 3321 but the Schlage Connect looks pretty good too. I'd prefer not to have smart lock functionality if only because of a slight distrust in IOT things but its not a necessary feature.

The Samsung ones are what you see sold at defcon. That is what I would buy. Don't get IoshiT features.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

im very happy with my schlage

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OV49YXU/

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have a cheap schlage one from Menards it works fine. You have to type in the number, any code 4 to 8 long works after you program it. It is just the deadbolt.

That link above is the one.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have kwikset locks, but they’re tied in with my alarm system via zwave. No complaints really. The 916 is a little loud but a minor annoyance.

They have non zwave models as well. The 915 is on sale at Costco for a good price.

If you have other kwikset locks the smart key system is neat

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I went with the kwikset just so I could keep the same key way as the other three locks. Don’t get one WiFi.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I have one of the homekit/alexa capable Schlage sense locks and its awesome. I love being able to tell Siri to unlock my front door, or set/revoke access codes for people wherever/whenever.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I have a Schlage connect as well. My other locks in the house were Schlage so having it rekeyed was easy. It is zwave and I can monitor it thru my SmartThings hub, and the kids can lock it by simply pushing the button on the keypad as they leave the house and I can check it later to make sure it is indeed locked.

We've only had it for a month but so far so good!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do the locks with automatic bolts work with doors that require a slight pull to get the bolt to work smoothly? I’m guessing “not at all.”

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've got a Kwikset (model 910 I think?) and it's pretty decent. Ties in with zwave, although my controller is dead so that's not doing me much good. It's nice to have a code instead of carrying a key. Batteries last around 5 months or so

Once the garage is done I'll have to get another for the front door. I was looking at them at Home Depot the other day, I like the ones that have capacitive buttons that only show up when you start to enter the code.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Let's play Spot the Code Violation!

Drilling those studs below the windows suuuucked

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

gvibes posted:

Had a power surge yesterday (ATT apparently cut through a power line). Both AC units, fridge, two computers, two printers, all sorts of other crap are dead. Yikes.
Closure - homeowners will cover everything less deductible. I'll put in a claim against the power company for everything as well.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Is there any kind of UV protector I could spray on outdoor aluminum furniture to slow down the fading? I have the table and benches from this set and I'm sick of keeping a cover on it.

I was thinking a coat of Amour All every few months couldn't hurt, but I dunno if something would work better.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You're worried about a light Grey color turning slightly lighter?

Simplest and best solution would be a retractable awning or a parasol

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

QuarkJets posted:

You're worried about a light Grey color turning slightly lighter?

Simplest and best solution would be a retractable awning or a parasol would be not giving a gently caress.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I agree I just didn't think "get therapy" was constructive enough

Like my hammock is all faded but who cares that's what happens to outdoor furniture, there's no way I'm putting active maintenance effort into trying to preserve it lol

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I particularly like that you think installing an awning would be simpler than spraying some UV protecting wax onto a table every few months.

The desert sun is not the same as the sun wherever you two live I imagine. Here is a 1 year old U/V protected outdoor rug that was partially covered. This block used to all be dark red.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

So what it sits outside who are you trying to impress, the loving sun?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So what it sits outside who are you trying to impress, the loving sun?

Well unlike you (who has spent the last year bragging online about how much money you make on an essentially constant basis), I'm not trying to impress anyone. I'm just trying to keep my stuff looking as nice as is practical given harsh weather conditions where I live. But thanks for helping!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Droo posted:

The desert sun is not the same as the sun wherever you two live I imagine. Here is a 1 year old U/V protected outdoor rug that was partially covered. This block used to all be dark red.

I live in the desert as it were. I would also suggest not giving a gently caress or putting something over it which would also protect the occupants from the UV.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Droo posted:

Is there any kind of UV protector I could spray on outdoor aluminum furniture to slow down the fading? I have the table and benches from this set and I'm sick of keeping a cover on it.

I was thinking a coat of Amour All every few months couldn't hurt, but I dunno if something would work better.

There's some protection sprays you can use, but they'll wear off pretty quickly (a month give or take) and aren't cheap. I keep my patio furniture covered most of the time, and honestly just expect it to last 3 to 4 years. My new stuff is all aluminum though, so if I just have to repaint it down the road and replace the cushions I'm good with that.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Droo posted:

Well unlike you (who has spent the last year bragging online about how much money you make on an essentially constant basis), I'm not trying to impress anyone. I'm just trying to keep my stuff looking as nice as is practical given harsh weather conditions where I live. But thanks for helping!

You've missed or ignored the other half of my posting which continually reemphasizes as a point of personal growth why it's a waste of time and money to perseverate about trivial things like this, but given your :discourse: reaction to my posting, maybe you're not the type to let things go.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Droo posted:

I particularly like that you think installing an awning would be simpler than spraying some UV protecting wax onto a table every few months.

I've lived in a desert basically all of my life and that's only another argument for just not giving a gently caress; you shouldn't be wasting precious maintenance time on a futile quest to preserve some ugly outdoor furniture

Setting up a parasol takes no time at all but not if you're a feeble sun-fearing goon bound to a rascal scooter, so I guess it's not a solution in this case

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 7, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I've lived in a desert basically all of my life and that's only another argument for just not giving a gently caress; you shouldn't be wasting precious maintenance time on a futile quest to preserve some ugly outdoor furniture

Setting up a parasol takes no time at all if you're not a feeble sun-fearing basement goon

Yeah like why do you think everyone has brown houses in the desert

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What do y’all use to keep your deck umbrellas from fading in the sun?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

DJCobol posted:

I have one of the homekit/alexa capable Schlage sense locks and its awesome. I love being able to tell Siri to unlock my front door, or set/revoke access codes for people wherever/whenever.

I love yelling at your window and unlocking your house!

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Setting up a parasol takes no time at all but not if you're a feeble sun-fearing goon bound to a rascal scooter, so I guess it's not a solution in this case

The area gets gusts of wind up to 80mph on a fairly regular basis, an umbrella is a bad solution. I had to screw a rug to the patio to stop it from blowing away. Plus I have high quality shade sails above the area which block a good amount of the midday sun.

As far as the weird rage you have towards me for asking if there's a good UV protector spray for aluminum patio furniture, I can only assume I corrected something dumb you said at some point in the past and you've been nursing a grudge ever since or something, so I guess welcome to my ignore list and have a nice life, crazy guy.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Droo posted:

I grew up in the desert and later moved to Florida. Like QuarkJets says, the sun is unrelenting and will laugh at any kind of protective coating you apply if the base layer isn't inherently lightfast. There is nothing you can do to stop this; it will fade inks and dyes and stains; it will destroy colors through wax, plastic, enamel, and even glass. The best answer is to use wicker or rattan furniture that's comfortable and cheap and easily biodegradable when its service life is over; the second best answer is to rotate your table and chairs every so often so they fade evenly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

What do y’all use to keep your deck umbrellas from fading in the sun?

New deck umbrellas.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I never have to worry about my outdoor furniture fading because it's covered with a protective layer of rust.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

god drat home improvements suck so bad. every summer i get up the nerve to take on some new project that becomes a massive time and money sink and just drains my soul. then I burn out super bad and swear off new work. then next year rolls around and I've forgotten the trauma and dupe myself again.

this year it was a poorly thought out bathroom remodel. I ripped out a bunch of crap and spent countless weekends trying to finish it, and it's only marginally better thsm the old bathroom. i wish so badly i had just refinished the old tub and stopped there. "$600 to refinish?? i can buy a new one for $200! I'd be stupid not to!". of course all of the 1950s walls and poo poo were totally screwy and required extensive modifications. the plumbing was also a poo poo show. I had to redo a bunch of floor tiles, too. all told, I definitely didn't save any money with the new tub, which is also cheaper quality.

I guess the new shower tiles are trendier, but only after they were all installed did I notice a bunch of small chipping from the tile saw. fml. there's nothing that can be done about it now.

I'm moving out next summer and will probably just make it a rental since renters probably won't even notice or care about all of the little poo poo that I botch with each of my projects.

after every project i try to content myself with all of the "experience" I've gained, except that I also swear to never repeat it again.

SpartanIvy posted:

I mean their posts are about people breaking into cars, people checking in car windows at 3am with shirts over their heads, and a pair of armed home robbers. So not going to assume racism based on that.

I know crime happens everywhere so I'm just kind of wondering if other people have this kind of activity on their various neighborhood groups and I'm just being made more aware of it, or if I live in an actually bad area.

I did as much research as I could before buying and the crime stats I could find seemed low but who knows how much goes unreported.

E: the thieves tried the car doors but only ended up stealing the volume knob off a Jeep's radio. :wtc:

These people are just paranoid idiots. people in my area are constantly posting "anyone else hear GUNSHOTS last night??"

my windows are always open and I've never heard gunshots even once in four years. i think they're convinced they live in "the hood" when it's a totally quiet area.

I'm convinced thst nextdoor regulars are the living stereotypes of the mean old neighbor lady who's always sourly peering out of her blinds at unknown cars and pedestrians

also, "HELP my dog was STOLEN!!" when it just disappeared from their yard. i tried suggesting it probably just escaped / ran away, and they all responded "my dog wouldn't do that... these dog thieves will stop at nothing to abduct our fur babies!"

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 8, 2018

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I relate to your post on a spiritual level. I’m currently taking a sabbatical on home projects until the spring but fortunately I ended my last one very satisfied. The next big project is the main upstairs bathroom (but we also have a master so no problems there) and there’s not going to be a deadline so I can do fun things when I want.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Thesaurus posted:

of course all of the 1950s walls and poo poo were totally screwy and required extensive modifications.

Sometimes I get kinda mad reading reddit DIY posts about people remodeling their 2009 mcmansions where all the walls and floors are straight and the electrical boxes aren't hanging freely inside the wall to be supported by load-bearing romex and face plates

Then I read a post from a guy who finds out all his outlets have fake grounds and his wiring is knob & tube buried in asbestos insulation and I remember it can always get worse

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 8, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Oh good my neighbors are having their house tented for termites. The ones that are maybe 15 ft from our house.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Thesaurus posted:

I'm convinced thst nextdoor regulars are the living stereotypes of the mean old neighbor lady who's always sourly peering out of her blinds at unknown cars and pedestrians

also, "HELP my dog was STOLEN!!" when it just disappeared from their yard. i tried suggesting it probably just escaped / ran away, and they all responded "my dog wouldn't do that... these dog thieves will stop at nothing to abduct our fur babies!"

I ended up joining Nextdoor after reading @bestofnextdoor on Twitter and was almost disappointed to discover that my neighborhood is chill as gently caress and not full of paranoid racists.

In fact, there was an incident a few weeks ago in which a resident black kid was riding his bike in the neighborhood and he was accosted by a white lady driving by in a car who accused him of stealing the bike and then told him (lying) that she was an undercover cop and that she was watching him. The kid's father posted about the incident, and then the neighbors all rallied around the kid and started sharpening their pitchforks to hunt this racist bitch down. And they reported her to the police, naturally.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Droo posted:

The area gets gusts of wind up to 80mph on a fairly regular basis, an umbrella is a bad solution. I had to screw a rug to the patio to stop it from blowing away. Plus I have high quality shade sails above the area which block a good amount of the midday sun.

As far as the weird rage you have towards me for asking if there's a good UV protector spray for aluminum patio furniture, I can only assume I corrected something dumb you said at some point in the past and you've been nursing a grudge ever since or something, so I guess welcome to my ignore list and have a nice life, crazy guy.

I gave you good suggestions and you responded condescendingly, don't confuse lighthearted mockery for rage

E: lol I hope others continue shaming your disgraceful display

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 8, 2018

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Two years ago we replaced an old Jenn Air stove that had the exhaust fan built into the range. We're having remodeling work done and are going to install a thin under the counter external exhaust hood (no microwave). After a few searches on Amazon and Costco with somewhat mixed reviews about noise and poor wiring, I went to Consumer Reports to find a buying guide but no actual reviews. Thanks, CR. Glad that I subscribe for that.

While I'd rather get something (and pay somewhat more for it) that lasts, at this point I'm inclined to go with the Ancona Slim III from Costco, the logic being is that if its poo poo and dies in a few years, I can return it.

Any other recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Yes, I also need to install a range hood (and remove the microwave) over my oven. I'd also like to know if it's worth spending more $$ on a range hood or just buying a cheap one that can be replaced when it poops out.

Also, how much CFM is enough for a residential setting cooking for a small family of 4?