Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

idk it's really difficult to determine if this android pos with 20 cameras glued to it is a gimmick or not

if it was huawei or even samsung maybe, but the old nokia camera team and zeiss did knock out stuff like the first optically image stabilized modules and other pretty neat advances on previous outings

could still be some silly gimmick thing, but to me at least this falls under pretty interesting stuff to follow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

oooof

quote:

The lack of low-light capabilities is also readily apparent when the L16 is pushed above ISO 400. If you’re expecting to go out to dinner with friends, and bring the L16 to capture the moment, you’re going to be frustrated with many missed moments and some generally poor output with crushed shadow detail.

this thing has to be way better than phones for someone to want to carry it around and uh...

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

if it was huawei or even samsung maybe, but the old nokia camera team and zeiss did knock out stuff like the first optically image stabilized modules and other pretty neat advances on previous outings

could still be some silly gimmick thing, but to me at least this falls under pretty interesting stuff to follow

pretend a edited the gimmick android with a :rolleye: for each lens

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
plenoptic cameras are a genuinely good idea. you can have a thin device with multiple cameras that captures an image without having to focus. unfortunately nobody seems able to make them.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it seems completely arbitrary which androids get good cameras. my like $200 nexus has a f/2.0 aperture and i still get surprised by good low-light exposures once in a while, even after having it for 2 years. but then there are Androids that cost 2-3x the price of mine that have worse cameras

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah it's because android phones are all varying quality of poo poo and disease.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13318/huawei-benchmark-cheating-headache

i am shocked. shocked, i say

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

plenoptic cameras are a genuinely good idea. you can have a thin device with multiple cameras that captures an image without having to focus. unfortunately nobody seems able to make them.

the problem is that phones are “good enough” for normal people and the alternative market has or dreams of having an entire bag full of camera bodies and lenses

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

customers only care about specs, gotta give them them best specs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

customers only care about specs, gotta give them them best specs

if you aren’t cheating you aren’t trying

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

was this posted six pages ago yet

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/no-you-cant-download-a-32gb-sd-card-from-google-play/

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
"the surprising thing here is that Google ever allowed it on the Play store in the first place"

does good actually police apps now?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Triglav posted:

"the surprising thing here is that Google ever allowed it on the Play store in the first place"

afaik no

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's surprising in the same way i'm surprised by the sun rising each morning.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

it's surprising in the same way i'm surprised by the sun rising each morning.

same, except disappointed

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
sun i am disappoint

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Triglav posted:

anytime the question is “does google do a thing where human judgement is needed” the answer is always no.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

actually there are 2 exceptions to that. one is when there's something that cuts into their $$$. the other is when they're trying to do PR damage control

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

apparently there's some basic automated checks when you upload to the play store, but other than that, no, they will only remove an app after the fact.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
i see you got a camera-phone so let me sell you a phone-camera to clip on your camera-phone so you can phone-camera while you camera-phone

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
ooh, it's the H word so it'll cost a bajillion dollary doos.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i also heard the one for the galaxy note is medium format!!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ah yeas, design styling reminiscent of drugstore brand 35mm point and shoot

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Endless Mike posted:

apparently there's some basic automated checks when you upload to the play store, but other than that, no, they will only remove an app after the fact.

take my app, please

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

ProjektorBoy posted:

i see you got a camera-phone so let me sell you a phone-camera to clip on your camera-phone so you can phone-camera while you camera-phone

lol I have that phone

shameful

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lol I have that phone

shameful

hello, photo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

once again, android's problems are somehow apple's fault.

bull3964 posted:

No, it's just a very niche thing. Most people don't want to be tied to a power supply at the same time as using headphones, so the demand isn't there.

I'm also going to put the blame of all this usb-c audio mess firmly on Apple. Had they gone all in on USB-C at the same time as their computers, we would be swimming in decent 3rd party USB-C accessories by now and we would have probably also been aligned on one of the two usb-c audio modes (analog with internal dac, or digital with external DAC like most are doing.)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol usb-c doesn't have anything in its spec about charge and audio play cables so its completely up to the phone to figure out how to handle it which is why its a shitpile and apple was right to avoid that trash on phones and stick to lightning

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol usb-c doesn't have anything in its spec about charge and audio play cables so its completely up to the phone to figure out how to handle it which is why its a shitpile and apple was right to avoid that trash on phones and stick to lightning

are you actually defending lightning and aux jack removal lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

are you actually defending lightning and aux jack removal lol
no, they're saying it's impossible for someone to make a usb-c charge+audio jack that works with all android phones, and that lightning is a standard which allows for a standard dongle to be made. if an android manufacturer wants to build a usb-c charge+audio jack that works for their phone or line of phones, that's on them. that's what the guy in the dyp thread was talking about.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

even if it isn't baked into the standard couldn't apple (or whoever) just devise a protocol that talks to a patented chip or something on the usb-c dongle

like isn't this what apple does already

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

why would they want to do that on a connector form factor that isn't designed to actually support the weight of the device attaching to it only to have people get confused and complain when their proprietary solution doesn't work with others despite the plug being the same, which is exactly the problem android is dealing with right now that started this conversation.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

even if it isn't baked into the standard couldn't apple (or whoever) just devise a protocol that talks to a patented chip or something on the usb-c dongle

like isn't this what apple does already
the usb-c standard is the one where if you use the wrong kind of cable or adapter, it fries your phone or the adapter or both.

"couldn't apple (or whoever) just devise a protocol that doesn't do that?" yeah it's called lightning and it owns, irrespective of the presence of a 3.5mm headphone jack

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i thought standards compliant usb c peripherals and cables could not cause damage

(most cables and peripherals do not conform to the USB standards)

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
if only apple had chosen to use usb-c audio, they could have set a de facto standard for it, unlike android, the most popular os in the world

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

i thought standards compliant usb c peripherals and cables could not cause damage

(most cables and peripherals do not conform to the USB standards)

well yes. but if we take facts into account, how will i, a brand fanboy, be able to smug out about my electronic gizmo being in some respects slightly less lovely than this other brand of electronic gizmo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

well yes. but if we take facts into account, how will i, a brand fanboy, be able to smug out about my electronic gizmo being in some respects slightly less lovely than this other brand of electronic gizmo
are you sure you read both sentences in the post you quoted

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

anthonypants posted:

he's a computer scientist, you see

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Plank Walker posted:

if only apple had chosen to use usb-c audio, they could have set a de facto standard for it, unlike android, the most popular os in the world

lol half the reason there's worries about frying poo poo with usb-c is because qualcomm, the company that makes all the android chipsets, made their own charging protocol incompatible with what became the standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

anthonypants posted:

are you sure you even understand all the diez components we're talking about