Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in the 90’s one of the first NES emulators was named NESticle and its windows icon was a pair of testicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

And its cousin, Genecyst. One or the other of them had a blood dripping hand as the mouse cursor. drat the 90s owned

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bleem!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

b_d posted:

And its cousin, Genecyst. One or the other of them had a blood dripping hand as the mouse cursor. drat the 90s owned

definitely nesticle with the bleeding hand. got replaced by fcemu(?) in terms of quality almost immediately but god bless em

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i played xenogears on connectix virtual game station using a community imac lol

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Don't suppose anyone here can suggest some decent romhacks of games like Fire Emblem or Pokemon on GBA? I know a ton exist but life is short and I'd sooner avoid the stinkers.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Why's it so hard to come up with a good name for an emulator

excuse me but M.E.D.N.A.F.E.N. has the best name

"My Emulator Doesn't Need A Frickin' Excellent Name"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

excuse me but M.E.D.N.A.F.E.N. has the best name

"My Emulator Doesn't Need A Frickin' Excellent Name"
that's actually an incredibly lame name because they couldn't even muster up the courage to use The gently caress Word. even if they did gently caress though it would still be lame

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

why the hell was the industry standard abbreviation for playstation “PSX” anyway

was it just because it was the 90’s and x’s were cool

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

My Very Emulated MOTHER Just Gamed i’m bailing on this concept

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cowcaster posted:

why the hell was the industry standard abbreviation for playstation “PSX” anyway

was it just because it was the 90’s and x’s were cool

playstation did badly in focus groups so they tried to call it the PSX for a while before giving up

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

b_d posted:

My Very Emulated MOTHER Just Gamed i’m bailing on this concept

*grabs the mic* MY VERY EMULATED MOTHER JUST SAT UPON NINE PLATFORMS

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

PLUTO COUNTS

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

homeless snail posted:

that's actually an incredibly lame name because they couldn't even muster up the courage to use The gently caress Word. even if they did gently caress though it would still be lame

this emulator Fricks

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

can i go back and make it “started up” instead of “sat upon” please

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's like how people settled on GCN as the initialism for the Gamecube

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

this heckin emulator emulates real good

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I just wanna say, bless the hearts of the marketing guys who saw that everyone calls it the 360 and decided the next platform should be called the One. They had it all figured out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

playstation did badly in focus groups so they tried to call it the PSX for a while before giving up

Yeah, there's still early press material where it was PSX and journalists just never adapted.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's like how people settled on GCN as the initialism for the Gamecube

That was on Nintendo. Just like Microsoft had an entire style guide for Xbox One (not Xbone c'mon guysssss), Nintendo insisted on GCN and even more absurdly NINTENDO GAMECUBE all caps as it appears on the console and boot menu but they settled on GameCube camel case. Unconfirmed that it was this way because NGC was too close to National Geographic Channel or Neo Geo Pocket Color.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Unreal_One posted:

I just wanna say, bless the hearts of the marketing guys who saw that everyone calls it the 360 and decided the next platform should be called the One. They had it all figured out.

people called it the xbone

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I like the attempt to reclaim things with the X Box One X (XBOX)

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Cowcaster posted:

can i go back and make it “started up” instead of “sat upon” please

at least you got the letters right. I put a G in there

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Are those fancy pc gaming chairs from like need for seat or maxnomic worth the price?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I like the attempt to reclaim things with the X Box One X (XBOX)

"What do we call the original Xbox?"
"Just Xbox"
"What do we call the games for Windows platform?"
"Ya know... Xbox..."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Reality Pisser posted:

Are those fancy pc gaming chairs from like need for seat or maxnomic worth the price?

Anything "Gamer" is probably going to have a 20% markup for no reason

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

b_d posted:

at least you got the letters right. I put a G in there

that was for griseldus. planet between jupiter and saturn. just discovered

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Verranicus posted:

Don't suppose anyone here can suggest some decent romhacks of games like Fire Emblem or Pokemon on GBA? I know a ton exist but life is short and I'd sooner avoid the stinkers.

Pokemon Ultraviolet uses the GBA remakes of the original and puts all 151 original Pokemon in one game, that's the one I always go to

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man i have so many unplayed games i can’t even brook the idea of games i’ve already played but with a horny poser 3D model twist

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Unreal_One posted:

It is amazing just how much the hosed up everything involving marketing for what would become the xbone.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was kind of expecting the xbone to come around as people realized that it was a fine console despite the marketing shittiness like what happened with the ps3 but it never happened

I'm never getting an xbox though so whatever

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

I was kind of expecting the xbone to come around as people realized that it was a fine console despite the marketing shittiness like what happened with the ps3 but it never happened

I'm never getting an xbox though so whatever

i mean in general this is more or less why i intend to never buy a console again. i can use a pc for work but the console wars are eternal

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Now that JRPGs are on PC I'm probably just gonna go PC plus Nintendo every gen now. When I got my PS4 it was not yet the case that every JRPG came to PC.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

playing theme hospital, this game is still sick

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I tried the Battlefield V demo and it's very rote. I was bored after one match and just quit and uninstalled it. I'm sure it's not a surprise that a WWII shooter was bland but it didn't even seem to look that good, but that could be due to beta issues or because I've just seen World War 2 Town enough times to be over it.

Incidentally, I've played Battlefield 4 here and there in the past few months and it's still pretty fun. People are shockingly bad for the most part, I assumed it would just be killers left at this point. There seem to be a few full servers, at least during US prime time, but it's kind of hit or miss. I've even been lucky to have good experience with the other players who've called out people raging or being racist. The issue, of course, is that all remaining servers are sad dictatorships run by people who seem to get off on enforcing some really stupid rules.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

Now that JRPGs are on PC I'm probably just gonna go PC plus Nintendo every gen now. When I got my PS4 it was not yet the case that every JRPG came to PC.

i’m not gonna lie, you’re gonna get everything literally years after everyone else has had fun with it but everything comes to pc eventually.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I finally remembered to cancel my humble monthly sub and it took like, 5 confirmations before they would actually let me cancel and not just pause my subscription. Feels real predatory and scummy.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

cheetah7071 posted:

Same for me. I thought about skipping PS4 this gen too but a couple of exclusives (Bloodborne, Persona) pushed me over on it. Plus I've found myself increasingly into playing older stuff anyway.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I finally remembered to cancel my humble monthly sub and it took like, 5 confirmations before they would actually let me cancel and not just pause my subscription. Feels real predatory and scummy.

dude they want your subscription money the gently caress do you expect in an exit interview

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

not only was it ok the game kept running even though the lid opened (which i now understand was because the data was already loaded but whatever) so i closed it thinking that would fix it and while she could run around the game had basically lost her place and wouldn’t respond to any triggers. from what i remember anyway like i said it was 20 years ago

I never did a sweet flip but I used to have my systems set on top of the TV because CRTs were loving huge so whatever, but the idea got weaned out of me the time I was playing BoFIII and right as I go through a door in-game I accidentally yanked the cord on the controller too hard because it got caught on the side of the TV and pulled the whole system off and crashed onto the floor. The disc tray popped open on the way down, and shot the disc out.

It didn't unplug and lose power though, so it had enough time apparently to load the next area before it finished falling. I popped the disc back in and the game worked like normal.

Of course then my baby cousin would one day break into my games stored in a CD wallet and ended up snapping it in half anyway later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

dude they want your subscription money the gently caress do you expect in an exit interview

I know they probably rely on people forgetting to cancel for a good amount of revenue at this point, but by the time I clicked "cancel my subscription" for the third time, I had lost all good will for it and now have no interest in opting back in regardless of what they offer in the future. I guess I just remember the start of humble for beginning the pay-what-you-want method of sales and am surprised at how anti-consumer they've become.

• Locked thread