Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

AnonSpore posted:

I need recommendations for really good:

Carbonara
Tonkatsu
Udon

Marugame in southern SF is an udon chain from Japan that makes all their noodles fresh and has a lot of fun toppings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Great udon in the Japan Center mall right across the way from Kinokuniya.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

AnonSpore posted:

tbh the random kaitenzushiya I went to in Japan were way better than most sushi places I've been to in America so I figured it was worth an ask at least

You can actually get good sushi here so why not do that?

Akane In Los Altos was very good last time I was there, and Furu Sato In Campbell is always wonderful. In both cases you’ll want omakase, at Furu Sato you should sit at the bar for it and banter with the chefs.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Because I don't want omakase I want a place to sit there by myself and stack up 20 plates of tamago or something if I feel like it

Thanks to everyone else for the other recs. I dropped by Marugame a few weeks ago but the line was so long I just got something else instead. I'll try and catch em during off hours or something.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

AnonSpore posted:

Thanks to everyone else for the other recs. I dropped by Marugame a few weeks ago but the line was so long I just got something else instead. I'll try and catch em during off hours or something.

The line gets a lot shorter around 8:30/9:00

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
don't knock japanese boat moats until you've tried them, they're an incredible place to grab a quick meal

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

AnonSpore posted:

Carbonara
Tonkatsu
Udon
For pasta I would try Rich Table, Cotogna, Locanda

Tonkatsu try Muracci’s either downtown SF or Berkeley

For udon please tell me if you find something good; I’m not aware of any

e: Marugame is decent but variable depending on how slammed they are

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Gonna be in SF for a couple days:
1.) Are there any 'must try' places?
2.) Any recommendations for somewhere a little upscale (but not too dressy)? I'm looking to treat my SO to something special.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Hops & Hominy is tasty and a little upscale without being fancy

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Foreign Cinema is your answer, friend.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

TheCog posted:

Gonna be in SF for a couple days:
1.) Are there any 'must try' places?
2.) Any recommendations for somewhere a little upscale (but not too dressy)? I'm looking to treat my SO to something special.

For #2 would recommend Al’s Place or The Morris or Rich Table. For #1: knishes and honey cake at 20th Century Cafe, ice cream at Salt & Straw, croissants at Arsicault

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Commonwealth is upscale without being too dressy

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Als place and commonwealth are both fussy tasting menus, I say that as a person who enjoys that but doesn’t sound like what you’re looking for. RT was so bad when it opened but is enjoyable now, it’s improved a lot. Foreign Cinema is the epitome of “romantic, nice, exceptional food in a low key and romantic environment.”

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Als place and commonwealth are both fussy tasting menus, I say that as a person who enjoys that but doesn’t sound like what you’re looking for.
I don’t ever get the tasting menu at Al’s Place (or RT) and I don’t find the food or the setting fussy at all. Commonwealth is good but perhaps a tad more formal

Foreign Cinema is a decent choice though. Exceptional wine list

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
There's a new Korean soup joint (seolleongtang/galbitang) in Milpitas called Soup by Park's BBQ (same Park's BBQ that's popular in LA), has anyone tried it out? The Yelp reviews are pretty noisy with people leaving 1 star reviews for lovely lines despite decent food? I have no idea what to make of it, gently caress Yelp.

I'm pretty blown away at how much Korean stuff has opened in that area -- in the last few years they opened a Von's Chicken, Paris Baguette and Jang Su Jang in that plaza alone to supplement the SGD Tofu restaurant that had been there by a while, as well as a brand new H-mart just a couple of exits down. Certainly would have been nice to have more Korean options when I lived around the corner from there rather than having to drive a bit to Santa Clara/Sunnyvale...

I don't know that much about San Francisco stuff but I liked getting cioppino at Sotto Mare which seems to me to be a pretty classic SF thing to do. Also a fan of walking around farmer's market at the ferry building, which also has some great plaes like Hog Island Oyster Company. I'm just reading now that Boccalone (charcuterie shop) closed down there though, fuuuuuck

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

canoshiz posted:

There's a new Korean soup joint (seolleongtang/galbitang) in Milpitas called Soup by Park's BBQ (same Park's BBQ that's popular in LA), has anyone tried it out? The Yelp reviews are pretty noisy with people leaving 1 star reviews for lovely lines despite decent food? I have no idea what to make of it, gently caress Yelp.

I'm pretty blown away at how much Korean stuff has opened in that area -- in the last few years they opened a Von's Chicken, Paris Baguette and Jang Su Jang in that plaza alone to supplement the SGD Tofu restaurant that had been there by a while, as well as a brand new H-mart just a couple of exits down. Certainly would have been nice to have more Korean options when I lived around the corner from there rather than having to drive a bit to Santa Clara/Sunnyvale...

I don't know that much about San Francisco stuff but I liked getting cioppino at Sotto Mare which seems to me to be a pretty classic SF thing to do. Also a fan of walking around farmer's market at the ferry building, which also has some great plaes like Hog Island Oyster Company. I'm just reading now that Boccalone (charcuterie shop) closed down there though, fuuuuuck

My friends went to Soup by Park's and they said it was really good. Obviously the line is horrific but unfortunately that's the way things go. The Tofu House next door is still one of my favorite restaurants in the entire Bay Area. Every real Korean I've brought there has said the tofu soup is excellent lol.

On a different note, I recently went to Protege in Palo Alto and it was excellent. The non-tasting menu is really good value but their tasting menu is like 4 courses for $120. Still if you want to go to a place that will definitely get a Michelin Star before it gets a star I highly recommend getting reservations there in the near future.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 8, 2018

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Also who's David Kinch pissed off? I know it's slightly old news at this point, but man having your restaurant be the victim of arson in 4 years has got to really suck :(.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I am trash and really love manresa bread in los altos. I thought about making reservations at manresa but we'll see...

unrelated: we tried sushi yoshizumi on friday. really really great omakase, probably the best technical sushi of all of the omakase I've tried in the bay area.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Carillon posted:

Also who's David Kinch pissed off? I know it's slightly old news at this point, but man having your restaurant be the victim of arson in 4 years has got to really suck :(.

I was actually going to have dinner there with my family back in July but then they caught on fire literally the weekend before. So I didn't get to go.

Development posted:

unrelated: we tried sushi yoshizumi on friday. really really great omakase, probably the best technical sushi of all of the omakase I've tried in the bay area.

I really liked yoshizumi too, I just wish they had a larger seatings available. But I guess when you do that much work you can't serve that many people. What other sushi omakase have you tried around here?

Also clearly talking about Manresa and Yoshizumi in the same post means: :thermidor:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

yoshizumi was fun because I got to banter with him in japanese. It was for my birthday, so he even gave an extra nigiri course on the house and candles on my sweets. What I really liked about Yoshizumi was that they weren’t at all pretentious. Really wholesome and not trying to show off. They were even genuinely sad that one of the customers (tech bro heh) hadn’t touched his hand roll and left it behind. The only thing that was just so-so was that the sake pairing at Yoshizumi felt more like a recommendation as opposed to an orchestrated pairing. The sakes were great, don’t get me wrong, but could have been more fine tuned.

We have also tried Kinjo’s, Kusakabe, Ju-ni and Akiko’s. Akiko’s had the most fun atmosphere and Kusakabe had the best sake pairings (loving great sommelier). Ju-ni was good but I felt like the chef we had was trying too hard to make it feel like an ‘experience’.

Yoshizumi’s:

Ju-ni:

Kusakabe:

Kinjo’s:

Akiko’s:

edit: also jesus loving christ the line at Ramen Nagi in Palo Alto is the worst. I have managed to get in twice and it’s good, but gently caress that line forever. After visiting the farmers’ market on Saturday we ended up at Reposado (fine Mexican) for brunch. I’ve had their brunch before and it was good, but gently caress the mole and fajitas we had were unreal.

Development fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 11, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Had the whole chicken baked in brioche at Nomica. So good. Had some of the best sashimi Tuna ever, it was like eating fatty beef steak only softer. Their cocktails are on point too.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Development posted:

Yoshizumi’s:

:chanpop:
this has got me super jonesing for some sushi now.

I've been to Wako on Clement St a couple of times because my wife loves it and thinks it's the closest she's ever had to authentic Japanese sushi, but admittedly she's only ever eaten there and at Kusakabe.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

minato posted:

I've been to Wako on Clement St a couple of times because my wife loves it and thinks it's the closest she's ever had to authentic Japanese sushi, but admittedly she's only ever eaten there and at Kusakabe.

I'd like to try wakuriya, but yoshizumi said you need to call at midnight a month in advance :effort:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i once walked by ramen nagi 3pm on a sunday and it still had a fuckin line

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Development posted:

I'd like to try wakuriya, but yoshizumi said you need to call at midnight a month in advance :effort:

You reaaaallly should do it though. Seriously one of the best meals I've had. I haven't done a lot of omakase, so can't claim to be an expert there, but it was one of the best meals in the bay area I've had, really blew me away at how thoughtful and artfully executed the whole meal is.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

minato posted:

Try Sasaki :)

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
No, try Hamano!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The guy behind Suppenkuche and Biergarten recently opened Radhaus which looks like a direct Kenji Lopez' Wursthaul competitor (American/Californian take on Bavarian/German). Anyone got a trip report? I might check it out tonight.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It’s been in the works forever, since long before Kenji announced Wursthall. My buddy is the chef, it’s quite good.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Can you tell your buddy that a cdc from another restaurant is coming to check it out tonight at 8pm? :) girlfriend said she doesn't like me doing this shes embarrassed.

Also I know I wasn't saying he's copying Kenji, just noting that it's interesting that elevated/fusion German food is a thing right now. I loving love Suppenkuche.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 12, 2018

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Ranter posted:

Can you tell your buddy that a cdc from another restaurant is coming to check it out tonight at 8pm? :) girlfriend said she doesn't like me doing this shes embarrassed.

Also I know I wasn't saying he's copying Kenji, just noting that it's interesting that elevated/fusion German food is a thing right now. I loving love Suppenkuche.

If you like Suppenkuche, there's a great place in Alameda called Speisekammer.

Their food is really good along a great beer selection and they have a nice beer garden in front too.

They even have horrible parking issues just like Suppenkuche so it's just like being in SF.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thanks for the tip I went there many many years ago and the amount of sugar in their red cabbage was off the charts sweet. They also served me a flat moscow mule (I saw them pour it out of an already opened bundaberg bottle). So I just never went back.

Ludwig's in south bay was decent too it's worth checking out. Brotzeit on the water in Oakland has decent beers too.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I PMed you! Tell your gf it’s standard and I both send people and am sent by people all the time!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Leopold's was quite good when I went a few years ago, less specifically sausage focused, but still great beer and food.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Found out some of my friends are also foodie types who can afford the occasional nice dinner, so we went to Madera inside the Rosewood a few weeks ago and had a great time. What are some other trendy places in the south bay/peninsula to check out? I think we've got Manresa and Chez TJ on our list.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
radhaus was rad

We ordered the pickles/sausage/cheese plate, pretzel with mustard and horseradish, bread dumpling in beef broth and brussel sprout salad. I had my absolute go-to favoite andech's doppelbock and my girlfriend had a drink which was meant to be brandy and stroh rum (my Oma uses stroh rum for her Christmas rumballs its 160 proof austrian rum you can't mistake the taste) but either their recipe is hosed or the bartender doubled the rum quantity by accident, it was pretty awful. Or maybe stroh rum shouldn't be used in cocktails period I dunno

The pickles were REALLY pickled which is great, as all too often house pickles are quick/weak poo poo. My favorite was the pickled beets and pickled pumpkin/squash. The sausage was delicious but casing was chewy. The fatty prosciutto looking meat (it wasn't speck/shinken no smoke taste) was ok very mild mostly you're eating it for the soft fat. The best part was the dirty sock soft-ish cheese I forget where I've tasted it before but I know that taste it was so good.

brussel sprout salad was delicious tons of finely grated Parmesan with some acid was great, light.

My favorite was the semmelknodel (bread dumpling) in beef broth. The beef broth was super dark and flavorful (maybe a little too much salt which is saying a lot for my gf). The dumpling was obviously house made and tasted like what my oma makes maybe needs some more fresh herbs and seasoning though. The crispy chips that looked like slices of fresh garlic were a great texture contrast I think it was a root veg can't remember.

pretzel was your standard tiny american pretzel, why don't these places make real bavarian sized?? House mustard tasted like cumin. Meh.

They charged $13 for a dish when the menu listed $12 so they're still ironing out some kinks.

I'll be back to try the schnitzel at the very least.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Carillon posted:

Leopold's was quite good when I went a few years ago, less specifically sausage focused, but still great beer and food.

Did they change ownership in the last few years? I went there a year or two ago, and the old Austrian man was nowhere to be seen and the food was definitely not as good, possibly even bad. I remember deciding we wouldn’t go back. I live pretty close to Suppenküche and Walzwerk, so not highly motivated to go too far for good German food.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

404notfound posted:

Found out some of my friends are also foodie types who can afford the occasional nice dinner, so we went to Madera inside the Rosewood a few weeks ago and had a great time. What are some other trendy places in the south bay/peninsula to check out? I think we've got Manresa and Chez TJ on our list.

All Spice in San Mateo is incredible!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Toe Rag posted:

Did they change ownership in the last few years? I went there a year or two ago, and the old Austrian man was nowhere to be seen and the food was definitely not as good, possibly even bad. I remember deciding we wouldn’t go back. I live pretty close to Suppenküche and Walzwerk, so not highly motivated to go too far for good German food.

Oh good question, I used to go semi-regularly back 4 years ago or so, and it was great. I haven't been back super recently but I'll stop recommending it until I can go back again if things have changed that much.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Anything particular in the “Theater District” to check out? I’ve never stayed in this area before and am not very familiar with it. I noticed Bourbon and Branch is near where I’m staying although I don’t know if I’d be able to get a reservation at this point.