Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I feel like "nail arts still do full damage with the nail binding" is definitely a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, so that's how you're supposed to use Nail Arts.

...I didn't actually realize you could use them while moving.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What are bindings, for someone who hasn’t played the DLC?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
You can restrict your upgrades for extra challenge, stuff like no charms or no nail upgrades and such

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RCarr posted:

What are bindings, for someone who hasn’t played the DLC?

Difficulty modifiers

Nail : Your base attacks do lvl 1-2 nail damage
Shell : You only have 4hp max
Charm : No Charms allowed
Soul : You only get 1/3rd of a soul globe

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Difficulty modifiers

Nail : Your base attacks do lvl 1-2 nail damage
Shell : You only have 4hp max
Charm : No Charms allowed
Soul : You only get 1/3rd of a soul globe

You can also pick any number of them to activate at once. You get rewards when you do a total of 8, 12, 16, and 20 bindings, and if you do all four bindings simultaneously in a pantheon then they glow.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Good lord I just watched my friend do the Path of Pain for the first time and he finished it in 28 minutes, how did he even

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Argue posted:

Good lord I just watched my friend do the Path of Pain for the first time and he finished it in 28 minutes, how did he even

hi is your friend single
e: or poly, that works too

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Like, I consider myself quite good at these things, and my first time through PoP was over 2 hours. Half an hour, without knowing what's coming, is loving impressive.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Whoa White Palace really lags on the switch huh?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Meallan posted:

Whoa White Palace really lags on the switch huh?

I didn't have any lag issues on Switch. Try a full restart of your console, I've heard of that fixing lag issues in other games.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Sometimes on the Switch it starts to lag after a while, but just closing the software and restarting it fixes it.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I decided to power through for a while since my last bench use had happened some time ago. But got to a part where the fps was dropping well beneath 10 so yeah I just restarted. It fixed it but... sigh.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
... And I just got to the part that I was before I restarted. I literally wasted half an hour playing a power point presentation over sunk cost fallacy. :cripes:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
update on quad binding run: oh my loving god motherfucking Sly he's all over the place. Any advice for him, especially phase 2?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

A big flaming stink posted:

update on quad binding run: oh my loving god motherfucking Sly he's all over the place. Any advice for him, especially phase 2?

Dunno if this applies as I had Mark of Pride on but Mostly just stand still a lot. When he pauses for a second to attack just dash away from him and walk back and smack him once. Rinse and repeat.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Dunno if this applies as I had Mark of Pride on but Mostly just stand still a lot. When he pauses for a second to attack just dash away from him and walk back and smack him once. Rinse and repeat.

If you charge up the nail art, I'd imagine it's got a similar range to regular slash Mark of Pride.

e: Can you do the third pantheon without finding out that Sly is the nail sage?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
gently caress the watcher knights and their RNG bullshit forever and ever. Only reason I was able to beat them was by using stink aura, babby spiders and the flower defender shield to kill them with passive damage while I focused entirely on dodging the half of the attacks I was able to see coming.

I do really like every other part of this game but most of the bosses so far feel like overtuned, no margin of error endurance matches and aren't the least bit fun. At least dung defender was funny and had windows to heal.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Managed to crack out Both Steel Soul achievements today, feeling pretty darn :cool:, even got the speed completion one too.

When I finished the game last year I would have never imagined I would have been able to do something like this, I died like 10 times on Nosk for god's sake. Godmaster really helped a lot since I put in tons of practice on the tougher bosses to get the radiant levels, still had some really close calls on the Watcher Knights, Mantis Lords and Trial of the Fool. Still, not even Radiance could stop me in the end!

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

gently caress the watcher knights and their RNG bullshit forever and ever. Only reason I was able to beat them was by using stink aura, babby spiders and the flower defender shield to kill them with passive damage while I focused entirely on dodging the half of the attacks I was able to see coming.

I never had any problems with the watcher knights But since I have to struggle with a lot of other stuff I'm thinking I had an extreme bout of luck that made me able to dodge everything they threw at me.

khwarezm posted:

When I finished the game last year I would have never imagined I would have been able to do something like this, I died like 10 times on Nosk for god's sake. Godmaster really helped a lot since I put in tons of practice on the tougher bosses to get the radiant levels, still had some really close calls on the Watcher Knights, Mantis Lords and Trial of the Fool. Still, not even Radiance could stop me in the end!

I feel the exact same! Right now I just passed through white palace and traitor lord, going to go for the radiance next! But before I bought this I went to ask in the nintendo thread if this game was hard but manageable (like Celeste was for me). I literally have never played a metroidvania before but here I am now, sitting at 96% completion.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Hey, finally beat Radiant and completed the game! Only things left undone were Trial of the Fool, PoP, and most of the Gods content. Not extremely into boss rushes and definitely don't have the time to devote to completing THAT. What a ride, though!

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Just beat Grimm... took me a couple of times before I stopped being super anxious about his attacks and learned to calmly dodge.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Meallan posted:

Just beat Grimm... took me a couple of times before I stopped being super anxious about his attacks and learned to calmly dodge.

This is exactly how it went for me.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
All Hollow Knight bosses fall to one of three tactics
1) Learn the battle rhythm and dodge
2) Max out your lifeblood and tank it
3) Flukenest

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Radiance is kicking my rear end :(

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Tell me your radiance tactics thread, please.

Also spoil me, after getting to the second part of the fight? How much is left?

Well the positive side of this is that the hollow knight fight has become completely trivial to me.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
She has four major phases, with the last being a sort of formality (although you still have to execute). Some people have trouble with the third phase, but I think most of us think the second (spikes and then endless sword rain) is the hardest, if that makes you feel better.

Your options, similar to most bosses, are to play very defensively and focus on not getting hit while getting hits in occasionally, or loading up on offensive charms and unloading on her. A lot of people in this thread like the second one: Shaman Stone Abyss Shrieks really mess her up in the first two phases. I think that when I beat her the first time I did this but saved my soul to power through the second phase as soon as I saw the spikes.

One tip you might want to practice: the Knight can fit between the swords when they're coming down vertically. There's always a gap, but you can actually fit between any two, it's just a tiny space. It can give you enough time to heal a mask with Quick Focus. But it takes practice.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

A big flaming stink posted:

^Nosk was a simple predator with an effective lure. I'd hesitate to call the soul master evil, who knows how much of what he did was due to the madness of the infection.

like, the only figure you can probably approach calling evil is the Pale Wyrm, if only he should have really known that the Radiance was not going to take being erased lying down. Plus the literal mountain of corpses he made desperately trying to find a temporary solution to the infection.

Also once everything had gone to poo poo he just peaced out.

EDIT: After 15 loving hours, finally beat Pantheon 2 with quad bindings!!!

lol im gonna literally kill myself on 3

Nah, I'd say the Soul Master and Radiance are pretty drat evil. The Wyrm/King is less so, imo, although the creation of the Vessels is still pretty drat horrible. I don't think the King peaced out so much as "vanished to die in obscurity."

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Meallan posted:

Tell me your radiance tactics thread, please.

Also spoil me, after getting to the second part of the fight? How much is left?

Well the positive side of this is that the hollow knight fight has become completely trivial to me.

Have you tried vanquishing it with powerful sword techniques

And there are five different phases to the fight, lmao. Good luck

Less facetiously, it'd be helpful if you told us which attacks you're having trouble dodging. Radiance's damage output is huje enough that you can't really outheal her, so you have to consistently be avoiding all, or almost all, of her attacks. I can tell you right now that Abyss Shriek deals a tonne of damage to her, so you may want to try using magic-enhancing charms.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

You can almost always heal when she does the fan of lasers: after the second wave you know where the third won’t hit and you have time to do a non-quick focus there. Sometimes you can stand somewhere none of them hit. I think random spears might interfere sometimes though

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo this game is so good.

Last time I played it was before all of the free DLCs came out and I'm giving it another run through.

Just spent about 40 minutes fighting Nightmare King Grimm and finally got him down. Such a satisfying fight. Everything kind of fell in to place once I copped that:
- the location he teleports to is his "tell" and you really have to concentrate on it
- it's not worth trying to get a heal in outside of his stun
- you should always be ready to jump every time he teleports
- stay in the middle of the arena so he doesn't pin you to the wall
- there's lots of opportunities for Shaman Stone abyss shrieks

Path of pain rocked too. It was pretty funny tearing through the rest of the White Palace after doing it (which now seems easy in comparison).

I'll be going on to the Godmaster content soon :getin:

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Like I seriously can't believe how this game was just cobbled together by three Australian dudes.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Have you tried vanquishing it with powerful sword techniques

And there are five different phases to the fight, lmao. Good luck

Less facetiously, it'd be helpful if you told us which attacks you're having trouble dodging. Radiance's damage output is huje enough that you can't really outheal her, so you have to consistently be avoiding all, or almost all, of her attacks. I can tell you right now that Abyss Shriek deals a tonne of damage to her, so you may want to try using magic-enhancing charms.

I actually didn't have abyss shriek before haha. I got it and now am getting into the platforms phase with some consistency. So thanks for that.

I don't *technically* have problems dodging any of its attacks. The two damage output messes with me tho and after I get two hits I feel such a need to heal/get so distracted I die seconds after, even if I had been avoiding her attacks for 3 minutes without getting hit.
IT'S going to have to be a persistence thing I guess.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
If you can get to the platforms phase, you can do it. No need to change up your strategy, just keep doing what you're doing and you'll get her in a few more tries.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Well the white palace isn't very friendly now is it

... Where is the path of pain located, just so I know I'm not accidentally doing it

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

There's a big area with two directions you can go, and once you clear both, get on the elevator up and start attacking left walls.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Are you using hiveblood? Just making sure there. Also if you have problems with the little bugs you need to hit to pass through: use glowing womb.

You have to break a wall for the path of pain. If you haven't then you aren't in it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Meallan posted:

I actually didn't have abyss shriek before haha. I got it and now am getting into the platforms phase with some consistency. So thanks for that.

I don't *technically* have problems dodging any of its attacks. The two damage output messes with me tho and after I get two hits I feel such a need to heal/get so distracted I die seconds after, even if I had been avoiding her attacks for 3 minutes without getting hit.
IT'S going to have to be a persistence thing I guess.

If you find yourself getting hit and wanting to heal a lot, take quick focus and shape of unn, you’ll have many more windows to heal

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The different phases of the radiance are, using the most generous definition of phase: 1. opening, 2. opening but half the platform is spikes, 3. endless sword rain, abyss appears, 4. small platforms, 5. Epic climb to the top while radiance lasers you to deliver coup de grace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Then I'm on the 4th, definitely.