Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

landgrabber posted:

nice try with this one pal, but my sister has .60s and .71s and the 71s are juuuuuuuuuuust right.

she also got two fender guitar cables when she got hers two years ago, so she threw one of them at me

Come back when you join the jazz iii club aka the elite cool buds club

baka kaba posted:

Use a super thin one for acoustic so you can flail away at it

This is super fun I can’t lie. That flippy snappy pick sound mmm.

Fender Anarchist posted:

In non-poo poo-stirring news, I ended up just getting a replacement for my dead NS-2, old one got stored in a box where some crap leaked into it and corroded some jacks, it worked for a bit but eventually died altogether. I forgot how nice it is playing with actual pedals, being able to order stuff exactly how I want, etc. Currently I just do gate->fuzz/distortion (right now a Big Muff)->preamp->EQ->chorus->back into gate->power amp. Need to get me a physical delay that I can put outside the noise gate loop. And a tuner pedal. And an octave pedal so I can run a beefier tone into the Muff. And probably a compressor. And-

Nice!

imo just buy all the delays. Infinite delays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Jazz 3 life

I must be old because I’m mfing excited for this arch top to show up tomorrow!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Getting excited about new guitars is the most important emotion (hi landgrabber)

Pics when it comes in yeah yeah?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Kilometers Davis posted:

Getting excited about new guitars is the most important emotion (hi landgrabber)

Pics when it comes in yeah yeah?

why would you mention this. i've barely thought about guitar excitement at all. it has in fact not made me infamous in this thread, in fact, the opposite, i am famous for never being exci

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
There are 127 posts in the last week about this poster not buying a guitar.

Dude - I have been playing for 16 years. I just bought a 335 last month and have fallen in love.

It never stops.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm now at about two years with the same $70 Epiphone but that's because I'm broke. (Also when I got money last month I used it to buy a bass)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Fender Anarchist posted:

I'll head this off with the correct answer:

(at least for electric, I find my acoustic sounds kinda dull with em. Although it's a 70s Gibson which was apparently their low point as far as tone quality, and it was at one point refinished by my uncle who, though he plays, is a general woodworker and not a luthier, so who knows how it was finished)

But that doesn’t look like a Jazz iii shape or way Jazz iii on it?

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Jazz 3 life

I must be old because I’m mfing excited for this arch top to show up tomorrow!

Did you pull the trigger on a Contemporary Archtop? If so what color?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

On the topic of new gear I’m really close to selling a bunch of stuff and getting a new guitar, some new pedals, maybe a small amp head like a quilter. I’m restless and it’s not relenting.

landgrabber posted:

why would you mention this. i've barely thought about guitar excitement at all. it has in fact not made me infamous in this thread, in fact, the opposite, i am famous for never being exci

I’m going to be kinda sad when you finally get one because this cycle has been fun

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm now at about two years with the same $70 Epiphone but that's because I'm broke. (Also when I got money last month I used it to buy a bass)

That’s awesome honestly. Way cooler than my goofy self always chasing That New Hot Cool Thing.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

maybe a small amp head like a quilter.

There are a lot of options for sure. I'd like to try them all!

Hotone has 2 channel Floor Amps that look crazy.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BritWind--hotone-britwind-75-watt-2-channel-floor-amp
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MojoAttack--hotone-mojo-attack-75-watt-2-channel-floor-amp

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m going to be kinda sad when you finally get one because this cycle has been fun

wait until i get another $300 together to get an amp lol

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

There are too many! I just want like something basic. Good for a cab, good for plugging into a computer. I’m always looking at different ones but haven’t found the perfect one that’s shifted 100% quality 0% modeler style variety.

e: LANDGRABBER

don’t get into pedals lolol or you’re doomed for eternity

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

rio posted:

But that doesn’t look like a Jazz iii shape or way Jazz iii on it?

Did you pull the trigger on a Contemporary Archtop? If so what color?

The red and blue ones were really gaudy in my opinion, so I went for the double humbucker in matte black with the gold hardware. ProAudioStar was selling a new one on reverb for 600 bucks which is nuts.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Realtalk it makes me happy seeing how many posts are in this thread nowadays. I like seeing people talk about guitars! :)

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Kilometers Davis posted:

There are too many! I just want like something basic. Good for a cab, good for plugging into a computer. I’m always looking at different ones but haven’t found the perfect one that’s shifted 100% quality 0% modeler style variety.

e: LANDGRABBER

don’t get into pedals lolol or you’re doomed for eternity

really it's just the guitar itself that i have a spectrumy thing for - as far as amps i'd get something made by orange. or hunt down that super obscure mesa that was used on the blue album. for pedals my wishlist isn't huge - decent reverb with a reverse setting, delay with a really low response setting so i can get it to sound kindna like if you apply a delay in logic and set it to like 1/32 note or something, and a boss turbodistortion ds2 for That Classic Weezer Sound.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've been playing with all the parts from the headless kit over the past few days since I haven't had a chance to get into the shop and start building. I think I have a handle on all the holes I need to drill before I can start sanding. It actually looks like less work than the Tele or P-bass because there's no headstock (of course) but also no pickguard, and the bridge can only go in one exact spot, so I don't have to agonize over getting the placement exactly right.

My main concern right now is the bridge ground wire. I do need one, right? There's no hole for it so I'll have to drill it myself, which is fine; I did that for the P-bass too. But I'm not sure exactly how and where to put it. The bridge is painted black and is not conductive in the same way a Strat or Tele bridge is, according to my multimeter. Does that throw a wrench into things?

(I don't actually understand guitar wiring, I just follow the diagrams.)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
As long as the bottom of the bridge or the inside is metal, you can run a wire through the wood from the pickup cavity and connect it to the bridge post.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I just got this here Wylde Audio guitar. This is the first guitar I've had with a 14" radius neck and I absolutely love it. It's super comfortable to play, especially on songs where you're playing all over the fretboard. Just playing the first 8 notes of Miracle Man and you can feel the difference. The hardware on it gives it a bit of vintage jangle which compliments the EMGs. The setup is good right out of the box. I don't have to set the intonation or action. I had seen a review on YouTube where a guy was slagging the knobs and three-way switch but those all feel fine to me so I'm not sure what he is comparing things to. The three-way switch is tight by my standards and the knobs are modern and fast. It feels great and sounds excellent.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Please make a 90degree instrument cable your next purchase. That picture gives me anxiety.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Please make a 90degree instrument cable your next purchase. That picture gives me anxiety.

cool strap tho

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

I've been playing with all the parts from the headless kit over the past few days since I haven't had a chance to get into the shop and start building. I think I have a handle on all the holes I need to drill before I can start sanding. It actually looks like less work than the Tele or P-bass because there's no headstock (of course) but also no pickguard, and the bridge can only go in one exact spot, so I don't have to agonize over getting the placement exactly right.

My main concern right now is the bridge ground wire. I do need one, right? There's no hole for it so I'll have to drill it myself, which is fine; I did that for the P-bass too. But I'm not sure exactly how and where to put it. The bridge is painted black and is not conductive in the same way a Strat or Tele bridge is, according to my multimeter. Does that throw a wrench into things?

(I don't actually understand guitar wiring, I just follow the diagrams.)

Does it have active pickups?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm mostly a strat player and these Fender YMG cables are immortal. This one is 5+ years old. The two 10 footers that go from the board to my amps are 4 years old after the standard Fender cables I was using started crapping out a year after buying them. Are you using the 90 degree cables? Do you play out with them?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
90s are handy to have around, i find I'm a bit less like to flip a pedal when moving around with one, and its certainly nicer if your pedal has inputs on the 'top' rather than the side

I think in this case it's less tension on both the jack and cable if you're strap threading

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Thumposaurus posted:

Does it have active pickups?

Nah, they're just plain, no-name Chinese humbuckers.

I think I've figured it out with my multimeter. Even though most of the bridge is non-conductive, certain parts are. When assembled, the highlighted post has continuity with the little claws that the ball-ends go into, so I should be able to just solder a ground wire from the back of the volume pot to that post, right?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Lester Shy posted:

I think I've figured it out with my multimeter. Even though most of the bridge is non-conductive, certain parts are. When assembled, the highlighted post has continuity with the little claws that the ball-ends go into, so I should be able to just solder a ground wire from the back of the volume pot to that post, right?

Make sure that it doesn't get pinched when the bridge moves. I don't know how that particular bridge works so far all I know it might not be a problem at all.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I plugged my Mustang II V2 in today for the first time in a long time and it stinks. I am thinking of hacking it up with a speaker jack to make it in to a 1x12" cab. I'm worried the speaker and enclosure will sound like poo.

I really do want to try some of those micro heads. I'm not sure why tho since the THR10x is so great. I need to make backing tracks in ableton live to practice against since it can do that.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I just played my first gig on guitar in about seven years, what a rush.

And for once it was someone else who had an onstage catastrophe (other guitarist spilt beer into his Rectifier mid set :ohdear:)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

NonzeroCircle posted:

And for once it was someone else who had an onstage catastrophe (other guitarist spilt beer into his Rectifier mid set :ohdear:)

Welcome back to the Addiction. :hfive:

I need to get back to gigging, at the very least because, housebound, I keep plugging more and more pedals into my rig and it threatens to take over the room.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Ouch. I bet that’ll be the most expensive beer of his life. Congrats on the gig.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

NonzeroCircle posted:

Congrats man!!! I hoping to get back out there again soon myself. It been about 5-6 years for me and I miss the rush of an audience so bad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Playing live is always fun. And while nowadays the most two of the three bands I'm part of get are maybe two to three hundred people (except maybe the covers band; I know, I know :cripes:), you're always gonna get that feel. I just wish sometimes comms with FOH/Stage Hands wasn't so darn difficult in most local/inter-state venues

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

now i'm trying to decide which pickups i plan to upgrade to.

round 2

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
no stop it you don't need that yet

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

buy your guitar and play it for a while before upgrading hardware on it ffs

I've had my cheap Ibanez for 11 years now and I'm still waffling on whether to upgrade pups etc vs just buying a better guitar once I have $$$$. You do not need to be worrying about that poo poo with your first electric right out of the gates.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

OK OK

rio
Mar 20, 2008

landgrabber posted:

now i'm trying to decide which pickups i plan to upgrade to.

round 2

Haha that was quick.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

rio posted:

Haha that was quick.

eh it's fairly simple. something a little hot in the bridge, then something super super clean in the neck.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Landgrabber, I say this with all my love: loving stop daydreaming and just get a loving guitar. Pickups won't mean poo poo while you're learning. They barely matter at all compared to your playing.

It doesn't matter if you have an Affinity Strat, or Schecter SGR , or Ibanez GIO or what the gently caress ever. Just get something and start learning.

There's a decent chance no matter what you get you'll want something different later. Stop overthinking it. Get the money from your parents or whatever, go to a store, pick one in your budget that looks pretty, hold it, make sure it doesn't cut up your hand because of lovely frets, pay for it, rock out.

This is not as hard as you're making it on yourself.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Real good musicians, like reeeeaaalll good musicians, will sound like themselves on a hundred dollar entry level pos and a twenty thousand dollar lawyer grade les paul, because, get this, it's more important to spend time playing then worrying about gear.

Please get a guitar and play it every day. Don't watch YouTube videos about what pickups you need to put in it. Please don't read articles about which tubescreamer will make you a real guitarist. Just play your guitar every day, because if you can't make someone feel something with a squier tele, you won't be able to make them feel something with a prs.

Then when you're bitter and old and have had actual time to fail, then you can spend your weekends watching that pedal show and rearranging your board 17 times.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

music is only a hobby to me. you guys should see me with camera gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cameras have a slightly higher threshold before you hit diminishing returns, but the core tenet holds true: it doesn't matter how fancy your optics are if you can't frame a shot.