Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

holy poo poo
hokkaido landslides vvv

Oh dear :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

Googling for travel recommendations on Tokyo.

Or skimming the last 10 pages

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Skimming the past ten pages, all you guys talk about is food.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was just there and I'd say eating is like 90% of what you should do

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hear Logan Paul has some ideas on what you could do in Tokyo.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay, here's a list of things I enjoyed on my trip that weren't food (warning - most of this stuff is pretty nerdy):

-Meiji-Jingu shrine complex
-Design Festa Gallery in Shibuya
-Omote-sando (especially the Kiddyland store)
-Hachiko statue
-Shibuya scramble crossing
-Don Quijote store in Kabuki-cho, Shinjuku
-Tokyo National Museum, in the next list item
-Ueno Park
-Mori Art Museum in Roppongi (observation deck access comes with a museum ticket)
-The elevated train to Odaiba Island in Tokyo Bay
-National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation (Miraikan)
-Day trips to Kamakura and Mt. Takao
-Senso-ji temple complex

Also, if you like wandering city streets, you should know my husband found Tokyo a rewarding place to explore. But let's be real, good food is an important part of the trip and you shouldn't miss out on that!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

There is also a cool exhibit called Audio Architecture at the 21-21 Design Sight in Roppongi that I enjoyed. It was basically like 9 music videos for the same song that somehow didn't get old despite hearing it probably 15 times while I was there.

Even if it's a tourist trap I also enjoyed the Robot Restaurant a lot. It's stupid fun.

There's also just a ton of shopping that's fun even if you don't buy anything. I liked walking around Ginza and Nihonbashi, checking out the giant toy store, chocolate shops, stationery stores, etc.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Great suggestions!

Anything video game related that's cool?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
there's akihabara and nakano broadway, square's in shinjuku, there's probably a poke center somewhere, and there's a bunch of theme cafes too

if you want to go to studio ghibli museum, you have to pre order your tickets on the 10th day of the month before you plan to go

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
There's also the Shinjuku VR Zone that's pretty rad.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Phone posted:

there's akihabara and nakano broadway, square's in shinjuku, there's probably a poke center somewhere, and there's a bunch of theme cafes too

if you want to go to studio ghibli museum, you have to pre order your tickets on the 10th day of the month before you plan to go

Cool. Is there a lot of good arcades and old game shops there?

mikeycp posted:

There's also the Shinjuku VR Zone that's pretty rad.

Looks cool.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tokyo isn't really a place to see anything. It's a place where you shove food in your mouth as fast as you can.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

smdh @ food
just drink

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

There's a ton of arcades in Akihabara, and if you look in the shadier-looking buildings on the small side streets you can also find smaller places with older and more unusual machines. The "Trader" store in Akibahara also has a floor dedicated to old video game consoles and games for them, and you can almost definitely find more similar shops if you look around.
Nakano Broadway (2nd floor up) is heavily defined by the Mandarake stores, which are all specialized in various retro or otherwise second-hand nerd merchandise. There's also non-Mandarake stores selling other kinds of interesting, old things. Also make sure to explore the small streets around the Broadway building, not because you'll find nerd stores, but for the huge number of varied food places and bars.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Looks cool.

super potato? kawasaki warehouse?

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
Just a heads up, a lot of Kyoto’s big attractions were damaged in the typhoon. We went to the Torii, bamboo forest and golden pavilion and all three had damage. Golden Pavilion wasn’t bad but the other two have large sections blocked off.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
If you want a real authentic Japan experience just go to Hub every day

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I hate this humidity.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pththya-lyi posted:

Okay, here's a list of things I enjoyed on my trip that weren't food (warning - most of this stuff is pretty nerdy):

I'm not an avid shopper, but slogging through Donki, Yodabashi Camera, Tokyu Hands, etc. was one of my favourite things when I went this year. The sheer size and selection was cool to take in, even if you're not looking for anything specific or even doing any shopping.

Yodabashi was the first thing I did on my first day after landing and being in full on jet lag mode walking into a shop where everything is cranked up 200%, including the lighting was pretty surreal so that may be why I have a soft spot for it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 8, 2018

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Never don’t go to Yodabashi, it’s so awesome. It’s like the 90s never ended and everything electronic possible is under one roof for you to see and touch in person, including all the accessories from the back of the manual that never got sold in the States.

And now their goddamn song is stuck in my head.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always like finding the weird poo poo like an external USB 3.0 5.25 floppy drive that no one else on Earth would ever sell.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So what's the best way getting around Tokyo? Train?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'd assume you're trolling but I don't even think this is the dumbest question that's been asked here so.

Seriously dude do a google or two first.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Velocipede.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Catbus

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

On foot, if you're like me

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

If I end up back in Tokyo I'm super looking forward to biking everywhere, I gotta say.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

punk rebel ecks posted:

Uber

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

punk rebel ecks posted:

Tokyo is a large city and there are many options for getting around. The choices can be broken down into public and private transportation.

The main options for public transportation include the new metro system, buses, and taxis. Rickshaws are interesting alternatives to these.

The Tokyo metro system is the newest form of public transportation in the city. Recently constructed and officially opening in 2002, it has been touted as Asia’s best rapid transit system. It is fast, efficient, fairly priced and environmentally friendly. Currently there are three lines serving a total of 59 stations around the city. A route map is available and also posted at the stations. It is one of the most user-friendly systems in the world. For complete information, visit the Tokyo Metro Home Page .

There are over 2000 public buses serving Tokyo, but they are not comfortable by Western standards (hot and crowded). They are however cheap and have many available routes. For more information, visit the Tokyo Toei Bus Corporation . A lot of new buses have been introduced in Tokyo. These buses run on CNG and are considered nature friendly. The green ones are non AC and the red ones are AC.

A very comfortable way to get around Tokyo is by taxi, though the yellow and black Ambassadors are neither air conditioned nor in very good shape. There are thousands of cabs operating in the city and are not hard to find. Rides can be pre-arranged or found on the city streets. Fares are determined by either meters or negotiation. If the meter is not an option, make sure to agree on a price before beginning a trip. There is a good page with lots of decription available on taxis on rent at http://www.tripadvisor.com. A much nicer but only slightly more expensive alternative to the yellow and black jalopies are what the Japanese call radio taxis. These are usually later model cars, properly air conditioned and metered, but most importantly, they can be called to any location with just a phone call. In fact, they are seldom seen empty on the streets. So calling them is the only option. But what a convenience! You can schedule a cab to pick you up from your hotel at an unearthly hour in order to catch a flight or call for a pick-up from a place if you get stuck with no cabs or buses in sight.

If you need to go to several places on the same day, hiring a car with driver comes out cheaper and certainly far more convenient than hailing cabs all day long. A car with driver for 8 hours with 80 kms included, at the time of this writing (mid-2018), ranges anywhere from 1200 yen per day to 1600 per day depending on the size of the vehicle. Extra hours and kilometers are billed at a moderate charge. Most cars are air conditioned. There is also a 4-hour 40 km option for perhaps 60% of the cost of a full day. Most Japanese tourists and business people prefer this arrangement to hailing cabs if they are on the move for the whole day. Finding this service in Tokyo is quite easy. Tokyo is full of taxi stands, and if you see a line of yellow and black taxis parked in a cluster, chances are they also have a few better cars with drivers for hire on a daily rate. Just drop in and ask, or google "car hire in tokyo" and you will get a list of services in the geographical area of Tokyo of your choosing. The wonders of google map!

Auto rickshaws or simply "auto" as they are called in Japan are the same as the tuk tuk in southeast asia. They are less than half the cost of taxis and quite serviceable for up to two people going short distances. Their meters are a joke. You must negotiate a fare before setting foot in one of them. The streets of Tokyo and all other cities of Japan are swarming with these green and yellow autos, indeed a very fuel efficient way to transport people. Tokyo also has many pedal type rickshaws associated with China of a hundred years ago, and if you can stand the heart rending human labor involved in transporting your weight from point A to point B, then feel free to use it. The locals do. You will be helping these hardworking guys make a living. These pedal rickshaws are usually seen in the neighborhoods rather than on the major streets and touristy areas, but they come in handy if you are using the metro. They are absolutely essential for going the last mile, meaning the distance from the metro station where you get off and your final destination a mile or two away.

Whether using taxis or rickshaws, a foreign tourist will invariably be solicited by the driver for "some excellent shopping at very cheap prices." Avoid using your taxi driver as your shopping expert at all costs. They get a cut from the shopkeepers and have little incentive to take you to the most reliable shops. If you do run into a particularly unscrupulous driver, try to get his license number or the vehicle's license plate and report to the police. Just a threat of reporting them may solve the problem. If the infraction is minor, such as overcharging by a few dollars even if it is quite a bit in Tokyo money, just chalk it up to experience and enjoy your vacation. These things happen in the developing world.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ntan1 posted:

Auto rickshaws or simply "auto" as they are called in Japan are the same as the tuk tuk in southeast asia. They are less than half the cost of taxis and quite serviceable for up to two people going short distances. Their meters are a joke. You must negotiate a fare before setting foot in one of them. The streets of Tokyo and all other cities of Japan are swarming with these green and yellow autos, indeed a very fuel efficient way to transport people. Tokyo also has many pedal type rickshaws associated with China of a hundred years ago, and if you can stand the heart rending human labor involved in transporting your weight from point A to point B, then feel free to use it. The locals do. You will be helping these hardworking guys make a living. These pedal rickshaws are usually seen in the neighborhoods rather than on the major streets and touristy areas, but they come in handy if you are using the metro. They are absolutely essential for going the last mile, meaning the distance from the metro station where you get off and your final destination a mile or two away.

Whether using taxis or rickshaws, a foreign tourist will invariably be solicited by the driver for "some excellent shopping at very cheap prices." Avoid using your taxi driver as your shopping expert at all costs. They get a cut from the shopkeepers and have little incentive to take you to the most reliable shops. If you do run into a particularly unscrupulous driver, try to get his license number or the vehicle's license plate and report to the police. Just a threat of reporting them may solve the problem. If the infraction is minor, such as overcharging by a few dollars even if it is quite a bit in Tokyo money, just chalk it up to experience and enjoy your vacation. These things happen in the developing world.

Dude your info is way out of date. They started officially licensing the autos around I think 2010? They're a bit more expensive via the meter than they used to be and usually they drivers don't want to negotiate fares any more, but you won't get shafted now and the meters are actually regularly inspected.

Still true about being best to avoid their "kind suggestions" for shops though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ntan1 posted:

Tokyo is a large city and there are many options for getting around. The choices can be broken down into public and private transportation.

The main options for public transportation include the new metro system, buses, and taxis. Rickshaws are interesting alternatives to these.

The Tokyo metro system is the newest form of public transportation in the city. Recently constructed and officially opening in 2002, it has been touted as Asia’s best rapid transit system. It is fast, efficient, fairly priced and environmentally friendly. Currently there are three lines serving a total of 59 stations around the city. A route map is available and also posted at the stations. It is one of the most user-friendly systems in the world. For complete information, visit the Tokyo Metro Home Page .

There are over 2000 public buses serving Tokyo, but they are not comfortable by Western standards (hot and crowded). They are however cheap and have many available routes. For more information, visit the Tokyo Toei Bus Corporation . A lot of new buses have been introduced in Tokyo. These buses run on CNG and are considered nature friendly. The green ones are non AC and the red ones are AC.

A very comfortable way to get around Tokyo is by taxi, though the yellow and black Ambassadors are neither air conditioned nor in very good shape. There are thousands of cabs operating in the city and are not hard to find. Rides can be pre-arranged or found on the city streets. Fares are determined by either meters or negotiation. If the meter is not an option, make sure to agree on a price before beginning a trip. There is a good page with lots of decription available on taxis on rent at http://www.tripadvisor.com. A much nicer but only slightly more expensive alternative to the yellow and black jalopies are what the Japanese call radio taxis. These are usually later model cars, properly air conditioned and metered, but most importantly, they can be called to any location with just a phone call. In fact, they are seldom seen empty on the streets. So calling them is the only option. But what a convenience! You can schedule a cab to pick you up from your hotel at an unearthly hour in order to catch a flight or call for a pick-up from a place if you get stuck with no cabs or buses in sight.

If you need to go to several places on the same day, hiring a car with driver comes out cheaper and certainly far more convenient than hailing cabs all day long. A car with driver for 8 hours with 80 kms included, at the time of this writing (mid-2018), ranges anywhere from 1200 yen per day to 1600 per day depending on the size of the vehicle. Extra hours and kilometers are billed at a moderate charge. Most cars are air conditioned. There is also a 4-hour 40 km option for perhaps 60% of the cost of a full day. Most Japanese tourists and business people prefer this arrangement to hailing cabs if they are on the move for the whole day. Finding this service in Tokyo is quite easy. Tokyo is full of taxi stands, and if you see a line of yellow and black taxis parked in a cluster, chances are they also have a few better cars with drivers for hire on a daily rate. Just drop in and ask, or google "car hire in tokyo" and you will get a list of services in the geographical area of Tokyo of your choosing. The wonders of google map!

Great post. Thanks.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is that price for hiring a taxi for the day off by a factor of ten?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes probably

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This is the best way to get around Tokyo: http://docomo-cycle.jp/tokyo-project/en_index.html

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This is legit good and I will likely use this.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

ntan1 posted:

Is my humour detector broken. This seems like maybe Jakarta or Manila and not Tokyo.

Considering the Metro started back in 1927. And you would be frankly nuts to not use the rail system to get around the city (compaired to hiring a cab for the day and getting murdered at the meter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-lvvQ-Qem0&t=180s).

Also that cycle thing is great if your in the centre of tyoko, not so great when you are out in Kichioji and want a bike for a week or so.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Wibbleman posted:

Is my humour detector broken. This seems like maybe Jakarta or Manila and not Tokyo

quote:

If you need to go to several places on the same day, hiring a car with driver comes out cheaper and certainly far more convenient than hailing cabs all day long. A car with driver for 8 hours with 80 kms included, at the time of this writing (mid-2018), ranges anywhere from 1200 yen per day to 1600 per day depending on the size of the vehicle.

quote:

If the infraction is minor, such as overcharging by a few dollars even if it is quite a bit in Tokyo money, just chalk it up to experience and enjoy your vacation. These things happen in the developing world.
Hmm, what do you think?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Taxi drivers are really professional and nice in Tokyo. Just take taxis everywhere

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

Taxi drivers are really professional and nice in Tokyo.

*To their customers*

A significant minority of them tend to be a couple steps below pond scum otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
So tomorrow I'll be catching my flight to Tokyo, where I'll be living and studying for a year. Anything, uh, crucial that I should know before I get there?

Also, for a more specific question, anyone have any recommendations for good+cheap phone plans? I've been advised to only get data if that's possible, since I presumably won't need to actually call anyone if I can use Skype and Messenger.