Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

It’s a weird future to imagine. The Miata as a convertible CX-3. The M3 as a lowered X3 M. Traverse-based Camaro. Yukon Corvette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Powershift posted:

What benefit does a car have to the average person over the equivalent CUV? a couple MPG and $20 a month?

Cars aren't gone, they just changed shape again.

Ford's newest platform that will be under the exploder supports longitudinal RWD. The mustang is rumored to be moving to it in 2021, essentially making it an exploder coupe.

For now sure, but countries are increasingly trying to bring down co2 emissions and some of the taxes are getting substantial:
https://www.thelocal.fr/20180720/france-tightens-grip-on-polluting-cars-with-stricter-eco-tax

I can't find the actual chart but it gets very steep after 140g/km, about €1000 on the purchase price per 10g. If more countries start doing that and as the pollution fees get larger and stricter it will affect the industry and any CUV that isn't a hatchback with SUV body panels will seem unattractive to most buyers. (or it'll all be electric)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The bowtie is way, way better.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dadliest Worrier posted:

It’s a weird future to imagine. The Miata as a convertible CX-3. The M3 as a lowered X3 M. Traverse-based Camaro. Yukon Corvette.

It's not, though.

Look at the model A.

It's an exploder, f-150, mustang, and miata!

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I totally get that. And I don’t have any real problem with it. It’s just odd. Even if it was sort of that way when my grandmother was a child, it’s hard for me to picture our near-term future of truck-ish things driving on rutted garbage roads, at least in the US.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

fknlo posted:

The bowtie is way, way better.

Ford does it a lot better but they also went past goofy and made the giant 'FORD' on the front of Raptors look pretty cool.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KakerMix posted:

Ford does it a lot better but they also went past goofy and made the giant 'FORD' on the front of Raptors look pretty cool.

FORD is also four letters long. Might have been wiser to ape them on the GMCs.
CHEVROLET is way too long a word with awkward lettering that you cant adjust to fill up all that grille space like with FORD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dadliest Worrier posted:

I’m not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but it seems like the best fit.

The recent announcement from Ford that they’re basically exiting the car market got me wondering: where is all the change these days leading? There’s a long lag between market changes and public awareness, I think, because of how many older cars are still on the road. Has the market really changed so much that it no longer makes sense for major manufacturers to even sell anything but CUVs, SUVs, and trucks? Will the Mustang become a lowered Explorer with an EcoBoost V6? Will other manufacturers follow Ford’s shift? Also, is this a US-specific thing, and do cars live on elsewhere?

even in Europe the market is massively shifting away from things like the Clio and towards things like the Captur (basically a CUV version of the Clio)

I think sports/sporty cars will stay cars because there's some CG advantage, but really CUVs are vastly better for most customers than sedans.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Powershift posted:

It's not, though.

Look at the model A.

also, all those have modern CUV ride heights. I was surprised how tall the Model A was when I used to ride in one that a friend's grandfather owned.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

My main beef with TPMS sensors is that companies are allowed to have proprietary reprogramming tools for pairing sensors to cars.

If TPMS is mandated and companies are allowed to choose how they implement it, they should also be forced to give you an in-car way to pair new sensors to a vehicle.

I specifically excluded TPMS sensors on my winter wheels and tires (conditions when I would mostly likely need them) because I didn't want to have to involve a tire shop or buy a $300 tool that has to be married to a vehicle to get TPMS working when I swapped wheels.

Some vehicles will automatically detect new tire pressure sensors. Most vehicles have a way for you to get in to re-learn mode without any tools. Once in relearn mode, the vehicle is looking for a signal from the sensor, which can be provided by letting the air out of the tire and airing it back up. Then the vehicle will chirp the horn to let you know 'got it' and you can move on to the next tire. It takes a couple minutes but its totally doable without a tool. A tpms tool makes the process go quicker by getting the sensor to send out it's signal to the vehicle without having to deflate/inflate the tire.

Tpms tools that tire shops have also have the ability to write data to blank sensors based on make/model/year so they can create new sensors for your vehicle from blanks and they dont have to stock 50 different sensors. The best tools out there will then write the data from the sensors directly into the vehicle via obd2 port, skipping the re-learn procedure all together.

Personally, TPMS is nothing but a pain in the dick and the headaches far outweigh the benefits.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Maybe I'm just stubborn, but CUV to me really only means fat wagon/minivan/hatchback. Cars aren't going away as much as they are just getting bigger and uglier.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Seems that the Nissan Cross Cabriolet is the Aztek of this decade; way ahead of its time.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Please tell me there will be a GENERAL MOTORS version of this. It will have to be widebody so they can fit all the letters on the grill.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

As Nero Danced posted:

Maybe I'm just stubborn, but CUV to me really only means fat wagon/minivan/hatchback. Cars aren't going away as much as they are just getting bigger and uglier.

Sedans have gotten bigger and uglier too, so people started going "well if it's already a big fat brick I might as well get some extra cargo space"

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Sedans have gotten bigger and uglier too, so people started going "well if it's already a big fat brick I might as well get some extra cargo space"

The latest Accord is huge. My wife remarks that the new civic is the same size as the sixth gen accord.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I saw a RR Evoque convertible the other day and it literally made me mad at the people driving it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also, all those have modern CUV ride heights. I was surprised how tall the Model A was when I used to ride in one that a friend's grandfather owned.

We're going back to a time where all cars potentially have to contend with Mad Max poo poo roads again in the US I guess. Time to strip all the front plastic bumper crap off of my car and crudely weld an enormous rusty bumper on there

KillHour posted:

I saw a RR Evoque convertible the other day and it literally made me mad at the people driving it.

Slightly better than the guy around here with a PT Cruiser convertible I keep seeing. Or worse maybe because the Cruiser at least had the decency to cost like nothing while the Evoque makes you pay for the ugliness

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 7, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The black plastic bumper crap is there for that exact reason - it's cheap to replace when you gently caress it up and doesn't have to be painted.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

KillHour posted:

I really gave this some critical thought and honestly can't see why this wasn't completely justified, good gut read imo

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Q_res posted:

I think my favorite is Chrysler because they literally don't even try.

Yea, I was going to say that my new Pacifica has a giant orb in front.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

The black plastic bumper crap is there for that exact reason - it's cheap to replace when you gently caress it up and doesn't have to be painted.

Listen I'm gonna tell you right now that is not gonna intimidate the Spine Carvers that hang out off of Route 5 by the huge effigy made out of rusty metal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

yeah plastic bumpers are extremely good

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

ilkhan posted:

I have to admit it will be interesting to see how Tesla does when they aren't the only usable EV in town. Dealerships vs sales centers, the big touchscreen vs buttons, superchargers vs charging networks; if nothing else it will be entertaining to watch.

Chevrolet and Nissan already make better electric cars.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah plastic bumpers are extremely good

Seconded. Sometimes I'll see an elderly lady driving a blue one of these and I feel compelled to buy it off her just so I can have my first car that was only mine again. What a fine, clean design it is too.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Dadliest Worrier posted:

I totally get that. And I don’t have any real problem with it. It’s just odd. Even if it was sort of that way when my grandmother was a child, it’s hard for me to picture our near-term future of truck-ish things driving on rutted garbage roads, at least in the US.

Hopefully there are just enough of us out there driving 4,000lbs cars with 19-20" rims that the government won't just say "gently caress it, everyone has cuv's" and let the roads deteriorate worse than they already have.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Never mind

Misread

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

BloodBag posted:

Seconded. Sometimes I'll see an elderly lady driving a blue one of these and I feel compelled to buy it off her just so I can have my first car that was only mine again. What a fine, clean design it is too.

This was also my first car, 1987 Camry in Burgandy.
The only issue was the black trim piece on the rear quarter paneks rusted off (bet yours did too).

In hindsight , yes a wonderful car, in and out.

Crashed it when i was 18 like an idiot, car to car snowball fighting.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

davebo posted:

Hopefully there are just enough of us out there driving 4,000lbs cars with 19-20" rims that the government won't just say "gently caress it, everyone has cuv's" and let the roads deteriorate worse than they already have.

They already decided this back in the late 90s.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

pointsofdata posted:

For now sure, but countries are increasingly trying to bring down co2 emissions and some of the taxes are getting substantial:
https://www.thelocal.fr/20180720/france-tightens-grip-on-polluting-cars-with-stricter-eco-tax

I realized the effect of this the first time when I noticed that the price of Volvo XC90 T8, the hybrid top model, was cheaper than the gas-only model T6 in Finland.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
IMO the bigger problem in the industry is the over reliance on technology and completely cashing in on the leasing market. For the first problem, when poo poo inevitably starts going bad in your infotainment system and you can no longer control your AC system or turn the volume down, people are gonna be dropping 1-2K to fix this.

Or when your entire headlight assembly has to come out because it's all integrated now, another $300. Or having all of these emissions requirements which cause your DI motor to get hosed at just 40K and having to change the head.

My favorite thing is when my the key fob in my dad's Audi died from the cold, meaning we couldn't get in the car to start the loving thing. Changing that was $500.

We're just moving in the direction of the consumer electronics industry, making cars a commodity you have to change every 3-5 years or otherwise you're on the hook everytime your now ancient electronic thing breaks. It wouldn't be a huge issue if it was just relegated to the luxury segment, but its all trickling down now to the standard stuff because progress or something.

Which is where leasing comes into play. And once they're off lease, they just sit there. Who the gently caress wants to buy a 3 year old top of the line Chevy Malibu that now has an ancient (by tech standards) infotainment system with dead pixels? No one.

I suppose cars are lasting longer, but repairs are more expensive when poo poo does break. And it's easier to just say gently caress it, lease the thing for $150 for 3 years, and not worry about anything. Rinse, repeat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Manufacturers are trying to move even beyond that. Look at what GM is doing with Cadillac's "BOOK" and Maven, or what porsche is doing with "passport". Instead of owning a vehicle, you subscribe to a service and have access to whatever vehicle you want.

There's no *pride of ownership*, but is there any with a standard lease anyways?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
When was the switch when cars were engineered well but still user-servicable? Late 90s? Into the 2000s? There is a line where a car up to a certain point was a good balance of tech and serviceability but then it flopped over to integrated everything.
You can drive and service a Lexus LS from the 90s forever but when did that change? At some point well see older model cars around rather than the newer models.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

When was the switch when cars were engineered well but still user-servicable? Late 90s? Into the 2000s? There is a line where a car up to a certain point was a good balance of tech and serviceability but then it flopped over to integrated everything.
You can drive and service a Lexus LS from the 90s forever but when did that change? At some point well see older model cars around rather than the newer models.

I think probably 07-08 with canbus needing everything to be coded in to the car. It's obviously gotten worse as of late with John Deere and GM encrypting ECUs and poo poo trying to create a monopoly on their maintenance, and cars refusing to start without the tailight control module plugged in and poo poo.

When Roadkill stuffed their hellcat into the general mayhem, they had to keep almost the entire wiring harness intact or it wouldn't run because there were 8-9 modules it needed to see to run. When those modules start burning out in factory cars, there is only going to be 1 source for replacements, they'll have to be coded in by a dealer or your car doesn't run anymore. This applies to the lovely rental spec chargers that will be worth $5k in a few years, too.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

dk2m posted:

IMO the bigger problem in the industry is the over reliance on technology and completely cashing in on the leasing market. For the first problem, when poo poo inevitably starts going bad in your infotainment system and you can no longer control your AC system or turn the volume down, people are gonna be dropping 1-2K to fix this.

Or when your entire headlight assembly has to come out because it's all integrated now, another $300. Or having all of these emissions requirements which cause your DI motor to get hosed at just 40K and having to change the head.

My favorite thing is when my the key fob in my dad's Audi died from the cold, meaning we couldn't get in the car to start the loving thing. Changing that was $500.

We're just moving in the direction of the consumer electronics industry, making cars a commodity you have to change every 3-5 years or otherwise you're on the hook everytime your now ancient electronic thing breaks. It wouldn't be a huge issue if it was just relegated to the luxury segment, but its all trickling down now to the standard stuff because progress or something.

Which is where leasing comes into play. And once they're off lease, they just sit there. Who the gently caress wants to buy a 3 year old top of the line Chevy Malibu that now has an ancient (by tech standards) infotainment system with dead pixels? No one.

I suppose cars are lasting longer, but repairs are more expensive when poo poo does break. And it's easier to just say gently caress it, lease the thing for $150 for 3 years, and not worry about anything. Rinse, repeat.

If it actually gets that bad then the resale value of older vehicles will fall and lease payments will increase to account for increased depreciation. I'm not sure if there is any evidence of that happening yet. The increasing popularity of leasing probably has more to do with low interest rates.

In fact if used values did start falling significantly it would cause a lot of problems for the lease model as people with leases would no longer be able to roll over with no or minimal additional down payments.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Saukkis posted:

I realized the effect of this the first time when I noticed that the price of Volvo XC90 T8, the hybrid top model, was cheaper than the gas-only model T6 in Finland.

It's like 25% on a mustang in France! No wonder I never see any.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

As Nero Danced posted:

For a while I thought they wanted to transition to just being a battery supplier for real car brands but Elon's ego has gotten in the way of that.

You mean Panasonic?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Update on attempt #2 of trying to test drive a manual transmission Genesis G70.

Summary: Genesis Canada is doomed.

Test drive was scheduled for 1730 yesterday. 1730 rolls around, no car or contact. I wait 45 minutes and say gently caress it and start going about my evening.

At 1930, I get a text message saying they just got the car back from the shop and when would I like to reschedule.
No apology. They didn't clue in why I was pissed off that they didn't call, text or email me when 1730 rolled past and they didn't have the car back. They were willing to share why it was in the shop though. Electrical failure.

For a brand that is trying to be luxurious, they're failing pretty hard.

I'm going to send an email to Genesis Canada and let them know what a disappointment it had been thus far.

I am not hopeful.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Heh. My own experience with Genesis was similar. I bought elsewhere. At least now they have their own dealership instead of being the fancy corner in the Hyundai/Kia stores.

Current inventory is 2 G90, 8 G80, 0 G70

They literally have 10 new vehicles on their lot and all 10 are black, white, or silver. 2 have a non-black interior.

Major metro US city

Granted, the skeeziest dealer group in town is running it. The ones I had to call the police to get my keys back from.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

McTinkerson posted:

Update on attempt #2 of trying to test drive a manual transmission Genesis G70.

Summary: Genesis Canada is doomed.

Test drive was scheduled for 1730 yesterday. 1730 rolls around, no car or contact. I wait 45 minutes and say gently caress it and start going about my evening.

At 1930, I get a text message saying they just got the car back from the shop and when would I like to reschedule.
No apology. They didn't clue in why I was pissed off that they didn't call, text or email me when 1730 rolled past and they didn't have the car back. They were willing to share why it was in the shop though. Electrical failure.

For a brand that is trying to be luxurious, they're failing pretty hard.

I'm going to send an email to Genesis Canada and let them know what a disappointment it had been thus far.

I am not hopeful.

Get corporate involved. They actually care about stuff like this. Immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Goober Peas posted:

Heh. My own experience with Genesis was similar. I bought elsewhere. At least now they have their own dealership instead of being the fancy corner in the Hyundai/Kia stores.

Current inventory is 2 G90, 8 G80, 0 G70

They literally have 10 new vehicles on their lot and all 10 are black, white, or silver. 2 have a non-black interior.

Major metro US city

Granted, the skeeziest dealer group in town is running it. The ones I had to call the police to get my keys back from.

I get the feeling that there probably isn't much more to tell, but I'd like to hear the story about them stealing your keys.