Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Squirrel Burger posted:

Any opinions about kajukenbo? There’s apparently a really great gym here in LA (Kingi’s) and I’m looking for a practical street fighting style to compliment BJJ. Did Krav Maga for a bit but ultimately decided to stop since so much of it was just woo; I like the idea of KJKB as an alternative that actually integrates live sparring and striking disciplines like Chinese boxing.

Why don't you just try boxing, or Muay Thai, or an actual MMA gym?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

JaySB posted:

I train striking/boxing/MT at my BJJ gym, I’m just curious about self defense/combative systems and hadn’t yet heard the style mentioned in the thread. I heard about it while smoking weed and marathoning Fight Quest. Looks fun.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I train with some military combatives champions and they just train bjj/cjj.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

I'm glad you asked this, I wanted to but thought I was missing something.

I would of thought the quality of gym and tuition/sparring was far more important a factor than what jazzy a name for what sounds essentially just like mma is.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Never heard of Kaijushinbo tbh

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Do they spar with contact? Is there any way to compete?

If no it's woo if yes it's at least probably got enough rigor to work.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Squirrel Burger posted:

I’m just curious about self defense/combative systems

Every time I see a weapons encounter on video, my confidence in self-defense techniques tends asymptotically closer to 0.

https://shanghai.ist/2018/08/31/bmw-driver-attacks-cyclist-in-viral-road-rage-incident-gets-killed-with-his-own-knife/
Untrained older man flails at his attacker with machete and kills him.
Compare that to the two trained fighters squaring up with smaller opponents and not being able to do much with them.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Squirrel Burger posted:

Any opinions about kajukenbo? There’s apparently a really great gym here in LA (Kingi’s) and I’m looking for a practical street fighting style to compliment BJJ. Did Krav Maga for a bit but ultimately decided to stop since so much of it was just woo; I like the idea of KJKB as an alternative that actually integrates live sparring and striking disciplines like Chinese boxing.

From their website (I'm pretty sure): "At our school, you will learn Forms (Katas), Self-Defense Techniques, Point Sparring (Sport Karate), & Street Fighting."

For good or bad, I think you'll find a functional equivalent to shotokan karate there. I saw an osoto gari in their homepage video, but it was in their little demo trailer. If the only part of their style that they spar with is sport karate, i don't know if you'd really be practicing the judo or jujutsu parts hard enough to really be able to use them outside of compliant drills

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Squirrel Burger posted:

I think this was mentioned on the most recent MMA episode of the Joe Rogan podcast with Eddie Bravo. I think they said it was similar to MMA in the sense that it blends a bunch of styles.

Since you already do BJJ, I'd say give it a try. You'll know soon enough if it's effective and if it's for you.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Friend linked this thesis about the modern re-invention of Chinese Martial arts
http://digitool.library.mcgill.ca/webclient/StreamGate?folder_id=0&dvs=1536797979287~143

Only just started on it, but pretty interesting, if you're into that kinda stuff.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Friend linked this thesis about the modern re-invention of Chinese Martial arts
http://digitool.library.mcgill.ca/webclient/StreamGate?folder_id=0&dvs=1536797979287~143

Only just started on it, but pretty interesting, if you're into that kinda stuff.

Link's not working here.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Odddzy posted:

Link's not working here.

Hmmm:
http://digitool.library.mcgill.ca/thesisfile114301.pdf

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

It works, reading now, is the guy from French Canada? I was surprised at the french in his intro.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Odddzy posted:

It works, reading now, is the guy from French Canada? I was surprised at the french in his intro.

McGill is a university in Montreal, Quebec, so some french isn't that unusual.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Who are the biggest frauds in martial arts? Frank Dux and George Dillman come to mind; is there anyone else as bad as them

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
cm punk

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
me

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Steven Seagal, both in magnitude and girth.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Liquid Communism posted:

Steven Seagal, both in magnitude and girth.

How dare you besmirch the name of the bestselling author of The Way Of The Shadow Wolves: The Deep State And The Hijacking Of America, with forward by Sherrif Joe Arpaio.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Bruce Lee

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Hot take

mewse
May 2, 2006

I was gonna say the biggest fraud is professional wrestling but that’s more about how people think muscles = fighting

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mewse posted:

I was gonna say the biggest fraud is professional wrestling but that’s more about how people think muscles = fighting

I'm pretty sure that professional wrestling is just soap operas for guys. At least it is for me and my kids. I don't know anyone who thinks it's real (beyond pretty amazing feats of gymnastics).

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

spacetoaster posted:

I'm pretty sure that professional wrestling is just soap operas for guys. At least it is for me and my kids. I don't know anyone who thinks it's real (beyond pretty amazing feats of gymnastics).

I never was into wrestling. Was there a point back in the 80's where people thought the feuds were real?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Odddzy posted:

I never was into wrestling. Was there a point back in the 80's where people thought the feuds were real?

I don't think so.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Odddzy posted:

Newspapers were reporting wrestling as being illegitimate in the 30s

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Odddzy posted:

There's actually a book from the 30's called Fall Guys: The Barnum of Bounce that breaks that curtain, so people have always at least kinda known. Hell, even when American wrestling was at largely at a "legitimate" point with Frank Gotch and Karl Hackenschmidt, there was controversy and rumbling of match fixing. Old school NWA wrestlers often could actually wrestle/fight, but it's been mostly staged for almost a century now.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It’s amazing how many pro wrestlers can’t even wrestle. Looking at you, CM Punk!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Qoey posted:

There's actually a book from the 30's called Fall Guys: The Barnum of Bounce that breaks that curtain, so people have always at least kinda known. Hell, even when American wrestling was at largely at a "legitimate" point with Frank Gotch and Karl Hackenschmidt, there was controversy and rumbling of match fixing. Old school NWA wrestlers often could actually wrestle/fight, but it's been mostly staged for almost a century now.

Yeah there was a transitional period where it was rigged but a champ still needed to be legit in case his opponent got paid off by gamblers or whatever and tried to go off script.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lou Thesz had to do this with Buddy Rogers in the 50s, he forced him to cooperate

Also it's George Hackenschmidt. You're probably thinking of Karl Gotch, Frank's kayfabe relative who among other things, introduced catch wrestling to Japan and taught all the Japanese guys in Pancrase and RINGS how to wrestle

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

spacetoaster posted:

Another term I’ve heard is “Redneck Anime”.

Along that note, here’s a really good video about why it’s a great medium for storytelling: https://youtu.be/BQCPj-bGYro

I wasn’t into wrestling as a kid, but got into it as a teenager mainly due to being in drama club and learning stage combat. I stopped watching around he time I started getting into MMA and training jiujitsu. Now I find myself coming at it from another direction, as I start incorporating more and more catch-wrestling into my game.

There’s a really interesting shared history between catch-wrestling, pro-wrestling, and MMA (especially in Japan).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I really enjoy learning catch or sambo techniques because it opens the field and makes me think about what is possible.

My former coach taught us a head scissor as an alternative in a mounted arm bar/triangle sequence. was great

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Yeah there was a transitional period where it was rigged but a champ still needed to be legit in case his opponent got paid off by gamblers or whatever and tried to go off script.

Also because it was pretty common for pro wrestling champs in those days to get drunk assholes trying to pick fights with them in public, and they had to be hard enough to not give away the game.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/9/...-gracie-history

Interesting long form article about the history of Judo and Jiu Jitsu

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I read the last thread years ago, and it finally dug in deep enough that my wife and I have started muy Thai.

It feels so drat good to have the instructor behind the heavy bag telling you what you are doing wrong after every kick, then finally, finally landing an okay one with much more power than before. That little grunt and the word "better" breath life into my drat soul.

E: spent a half hour today just doing kicks with another instructor, he hits like a train. Thought he was going to flat out knock the bag off onto me when I held it for him.

The bits of meat to the left and right of my shins are sore as hell from getting so much walloping in. Hips and knees are pretty happy though, so I know I at least didn't do any real damage.

Muy Thai is way more fun than I even imagined.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 22, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I read the last thread years ago, and it finally dug in deep enough that my wife and I have started muy Thai.

It feels so drat good to have the instructor behind the heavy bag telling you what you are doing wrong after every kick, then finally, finally landing an okay one with much more power than before. That little grunt and the word "better" breath life into my drat soul.

E: spent a half hour today just doing kicks with another instructor, he hits like a train. Thought he was going to flat out knock the bag off onto me when I held it for him.

The bits of meat to the left and right of my shins are sore as hell from getting so much walloping in. Hips and knees are pretty happy though, so I know I at least didn't do any real damage.

Go buy some gold shorts now.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

One of us! :toot:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Goongrats, but will point out that it's Muay Thai.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Goongrats, but will point out that it's Muay Thai.

Maybe he's taking the Spanish version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The sport of Very Thai is a Spanish tradition that dates back to the 1400s.