Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

How dumb is it to roll a Max STA chanter on Coirnav? I hear that charisma was nerfed, and INT just makes the Mana pool bigger. Is maxing STA at creation an okay idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Elephunk posted:

How dumb is it to roll a Max STA chanter on Coirnav? I hear that charisma was nerfed, and INT just makes the Mana pool bigger. Is maxing STA at creation an okay idea?

That's probably the optimal stat allocation since it's the hardest one to cap for a caster. Charisma isn't really important, unless you're trying to Calm high con mobs where it reduces the chance of critical failure.

I've been trying to decide between necro, warrior or paladin for my next alt on Coirnav. Do warriors ever get more utility and buttons to press as the game rolls on?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

On p99, one point of STA gave a measly 2 HP to a caster at level 60. Is that true on Coirnav?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
In Sleepers Tomb before the Sleeper is awoken do the golems drop Primals, or only the warders ?

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Baconroll posted:

In Sleepers Tomb before the Sleeper is awoken do the golems drop Primals, or only the warders ?

We were in there last night, the golems can drop them as well, but we got unlucky with our force of 12 and got lovely spells and priceless velium weapons off of MOTG and Progenitor.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

iNteg posted:

We were in there last night, the golems can drop them as well, but we got unlucky with our force of 12 and got lovely spells and priceless velium weapons off of MOTG and Progenitor.

What guild are YOU in?

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Elephunk posted:

What guild are YOU in?

Unknown Legacy. I moved to California and they’re the only real PST guild on the server

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

iNteg posted:

Unknown Legacy. I moved to California and they’re the only real PST guild on the server

So much so they absorbed my old guild from when I was still playing, the only other PST guild since vanilla.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

So much so they absorbed my old guild from when I was still playing, the only other PST guild since vanilla.

what guild? and who are you on Coirnav?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

iNteg posted:

what guild? and who are you on Coirnav?

Unforeseen, my understanding is that they all got scooped up. If Ashkari / Coro / Khary / Vetis are still around, they're some good dudes from Unforeseen. I was Normal / Usual mostly, but haven't logged in since Kunark. I tend to find myself burning out on raiding around then on these TLPs.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Unforeseen, my understanding is that they all got scooped up. If Ashkari / Coro / Khary / Vetis are still around, they're some good dudes from Unforeseen. I was Normal / Usual mostly, but haven't logged in since Kunark. I tend to find myself burning out on raiding around then on these TLPs.

Yeah, Vetis isn’t, I’m AwwYiss, Ashkari and Kharybdis are still around, Coro is taking a break but we all play WoW.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

iNteg posted:

Yeah, Vetis isn’t, I’m AwwYiss, Ashkari and Kharybdis are still around, Coro is taking a break but we all play WoW.

oh nice! i know who to bug if I get the itch then! (yea i know, front door app only now)

Glad you dudes were able to find a home instead of it being entirely starting over from square one, managing that sort of thing is a colossal pain in the rear end.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Sad Dragons folded. TBS has been rough on Phinny, heh.

I mean, still 10 active guilds cleaning everything in-era, so objectively the server is still super healthy. But I suspect that by the end of SOF, we'll be down to 7-8.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Think I'm done too tbh. I don't want to join dima and his dick sucking culture over at OGC frankly. I pondered EoE as a few of my better 'internet' friends went over there but loot council ;/

There's rumours WT might reform in SoF so who knows. A good chunk of people would leave OGC/EoE to reform again supposedly so might just wait and see if that rumour actually happens.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
OGC obviously split raids, and COC is split raiding some now I think too, so there's definitely enough "hardcore of the hardcore" raiders to make a new guild if desired.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Tai posted:

Think I'm done too tbh. I don't want to join dima and his dick sucking culture over at OGC frankly. I pondered EoE as a few of my better 'internet' friends went over there but loot council ;/

There's rumours WT might reform in SoF so who knows. A good chunk of people would leave OGC/EoE to reform again supposedly so might just wait and see if that rumour actually happens.

Tai, before you give up entirely on EoE, can you explain to me your problems with loot council?

We've tried to make it as fair as possible and I'll 100% admit mistakes are made at times, I'd like to see if I could maybe remove some of your fears?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Every successful guild I was in did loot council; provided the people on the council are not gently caress sticks and actually pay attention, it works just fine.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Tai posted:

Dima swore that everything was different and the assholes were leashed up and it was all chilled out.

Turns out that was not the truth. The creeps and assholes have the run of the place. It’s plain toxic over there, even if your political views are right of center (mine aren’t, but my moderate republican friend was aghast at the sheer number of black-people-as-slave-chattel “jokes” being thrown out by a few classless assholes, who were getting “lol”d at by officers.)

To the best of my knowledge, at least 6 of my friends have quit following WT’s folding up shop, and none who went back to OGC stuck around. I unsubbed my accounts this week too.

To a person, no one was interested in loot council guilds, which is the only reason none of us approached EoE, sorry Hoohah.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, gently caress loot council, heh. It's why when I left I didn't go to EoE either, even though a goon leads it. Never going to bother with a loot council guild again if I can help it at all.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
I'd still like to know the reasonings behind it, I'm not saying they're not valid I'm more just curious. Like any loot system, it has people that love it and people that loathe it.

I'll never play in a DKP guild again myself, and I'm more than happy to explain why :)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Having been both a member of a guild doing LC, as then an officer on the LC, it's just way too much drama and heartburn.

All of the reasons I heard pro-LC had solutions in a DKP system. All "but what if!" scenarios someone came up with that could lead to DKP abuse were exactly the same in LC (aka, you never know when someone is just going to bail or RMT).

DKP is typically faster too. The earlier events/bosses usually weren't TOO bad, but the end raid boss often saw the item rolling before we could get it all hammered out.

So ultimately, LC provided no actual benefit over DKP, but took longer and had a lot more drama (not that DKP can't have drama too, of course, but it's easier to say "Look, it's just the rules" versus "Well we just kind of felt it should go to so-and-so"). And if you have officers who are scamming the DKP system it's blatantly obvious too, and at least you don't have to make claims of favoritism, when it's perfectly clear.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Hoohah posted:

I'd still like to know the reasonings behind it, I'm not saying they're not valid I'm more just curious. Like any loot system, it has people that love it and people that loathe it.

I'll never play in a DKP guild again myself, and I'm more than happy to explain why :)

that's because EoE has the most fleshed out loot council and grading system for gear of any that i'd ever seen.

i'm in a DKP guild on Coirnav and i miss EoE Loot council.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

iNteg posted:

that's because EoE has the most fleshed out loot council and grading system for gear of any that i'd ever seen.

i'm in a DKP guild on Coirnav and i miss EoE Loot council.

I don't think we're doing anything terribly different from other loot councils like Realm of Insanity, maybe a bit more complexity but that also makes it harder to explain that taking incremental upgrades doesn't hurt your chances for the tip top stuff. Hence a lot of people don't understand what they can and can't go in on when they're waiting for one big ticket item.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I'll be completely honest, I think OGC's loot system, overall, is the best loot system I've ever seen (minus their horrible mathing).

This breaks down to two philosophical points: "guild first", or "me first".

When you're a guild like FoH, or Realm of Insanity and you're breaking content first, the general mentality of the guild should be "what benefits the guild the most in this situation?", so when a piece of gear is granted to a particular person, or class, or role over other competitive claims, it's easily explained and as long as everyone's on the same page, the notion that helping the guild out first helps everyone else out in the long run.

When you're dealing with guilds that aren't bleeding edge, or in the case of OGC, are splitting content, then having an open bid DKP system where people can put up what they are willing to pay from a pool of earned points is the best way to make everyone happy. People who want to hoard points and pay minimum have the flexibility to do so. People who want to be first in gear for all the new shinies can pay the premium to do it. The guy that was willing to bid up to X amount and does so only to get minimally upbid by someone else can decide to just go for it and raise his max another 25%. (which is, really, the only difference between WT's bids and OGC's.) Preference Mains over 2nd Mains over Apps over Alts and you're golden.

Loot council, aside from requiring each member to put 100% blind faith in the fairness of the officers and system has no built-in mechanism for someone who desperately just wants that one rare vanity item to be able to acquire it should it drop, and every super rare status item that goes to an officer or some officer's buddy is going to be completely suspect, no matter how much the council's decision was trying their hardest to come to an impartial result.

I would have rather had the ability to control my pile of resources such that I could go deep on an item if I *really* wanted it versus having to trust in a strangers on the internet telling me what's best for me because they all agreed so.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I like DKP a lot. I don't mean the stupid butchered systems that people have done over the years and that includes ''bidding''. You earn DKP and you spend it and feelings and emotions don't come into play. You earned the same as someone else for the same raid, you can track everyones DKP and attendance. There is no bias to it. It's open and fair.

Loot council, while it does have it's pluses, it does let feelings and emotions come into play. You don't know why you didn't get X loot over someone else and then you are looked over later on or something, you can get pissed off. While there maybe good reasoning for it, someone will get pissed off. If you can honestly swear that you or one of your other officers have awarded a piece of loot to someone because they are you friend or have given a piece of loot to someone who you didn't lack since Phinny went live then I'd call BS. The WT guys who went over to EoE loathe your system but they loathe OGC even more. I've had plenty of friends over the years in EoE bitching about your system even the goon channel had some EoE goons complaining about it.

This is not a slight on you Hoodah. You asked, I answered. Your guild hasn't imploded so it's obviously are fairly successful council loot system.

I do miss my monk so maybe I'll come back in SoF.....maybe.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'd also double up that, I'm a bard. Bards get shat on for "needing" loot. But it's still a super bummer to one of the highest attendance number members in a guild, and constantly not get any upgrades because "you're just a bard".

Like yeah, I get it. I've been with Entendre for over a year, and loot has been so much less bullshit. I still won't generally bid against tanks or main DPS for important pieces the first few weeks, but poo poo, even bards like upgrades too. They really help for when I'm *not* with the guild trying to do a few things (and I'm a non-boxer, so I can't just run around with my own group doing all the things).

Not to mention, if the boss just died...obviously noone "needed" the gear to get it dead. People overstate "oh you HAVE to gear up X Y Z class first!". Especially on Phinny where main raiders are geared to the teeth (which is surprising IMO, since we only get 2-3 months of a raid, instead of a 6-12 months, even though we do still usually do last expac on offnights or whatever). If you're having real progression issues, that would be different, but I've yet to see that really (or where the issue was truly gear - it's almost always people sucking at mechanics, and wanting to overgear it as a crutch).

Tai posted:

You earn DKP and you spend it and feelings and emotions don't come into play. You earned the same as someone else for the same raid, you can track everyones DKP and attendance. There is no bias to it. It's open and fair.

Exactly. I know some people still get butthurt and claim "so-and-so bid me up!" or whatever, but no, shut up. It's fake currency for fake items - if you want it more, then pay more of your fantasy dollars. There will always be more gear (esp on Phinny).

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
The gently caress bards for equipment is the dumbest poo poo people say. Yea lets ignore the bard. Ooo he got one shotted by an AE cos his HP sucks. Melee didn't want those OP as gently caress damage songs anyway. The raid didn't want those resist and mana songs anyway. Tanks didn't want those obscene damage shield(s) and defensive songs anyway. I hate people who screw bards in loot councils. It's totally counter productive screwing the class that has the biggest impact on a raid then any other class by a mile.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

koreban posted:

To the best of my knowledge, at least 6 of my friends have quit following WT’s folding up shop, and none who went back to OGC stuck around. I unsubbed my accounts this week too.

Who from WT that went to OGC has quit? Minus Happyfeet, I wasn't really chummy chummy with them so not spoken since the implode.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Hate loot councils and hated being on one. I tried very hard to spread loot around as much as possible, even against other officer's wishes that someone who is around more deserves two pieces before another person receives one. I almost never put in for items myself either, as I believed in the importance of maintaining an appearance of propriety.

Headaches all around. Give me cold, hard, emotionless numbers any day.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tai posted:

Who from WT that went to OGC has quit? Minus Happyfeet, I wasn't really chummy chummy with them so not spoken since the implode.

Majine, kreoss, domestic

Corrupted and retrospect from OGC are donezo since schism/reform with WT (though not due to it). Mezozoic declared he wouldn’t be back now because of the rest of us quitting.

At multiple times EoE came up as an option to try versus quitting, but loot council was the unanimous reason we chose to unsubscribe.

Not a personal sleight on EoE or hoohah, we just weren’t going to loot council on principle or prejudice to the system.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Tai posted:

The gently caress bards for equipment is the dumbest poo poo people say. Yea lets ignore the bard. Ooo he got one shotted by an AE cos his HP sucks. Melee didn't want those OP as gently caress damage songs anyway. The raid didn't want those resist and mana songs anyway. Tanks didn't want those obscene damage shield(s) and defensive songs anyway. I hate people who screw bards in loot councils. It's totally counter productive screwing the class that has the biggest impact on a raid then any other class by a mile.

Not to mention, and this was true back in BDA and is still the case in Entendre, as a bard I tend to end up on Ramp often enough.

It's never intended, and poo poo happens, but it's nice to be able to hold on to ramp instead of fading and letting it go to who the hell knows.

And not to mention pulling, although I haven't been doing much of that in raids at least lately. Man we were loving useless in FC in particular, in regards to pulling.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
O yeah completely forgot Majine and Domestic/Iwub were at OGC. I liked those guys a lot. Used to meth a lot with them with Punchu and Boog. Good players.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Not to mention, and this was true back in BDA and is still the case in Entendre, as a bard I tend to end up on Ramp often enough.

It's never intended, and poo poo happens, but it's nice to be able to hold on to ramp instead of fading and letting it go to who the hell knows.

And not to mention pulling, although I haven't been doing much of that in raids at least lately. Man we were loving useless in FC in particular, in regards to pulling.

Lol why does your guild and the tank(s) let you end up on ramp? Pally goes in first and the MT second and taunts it off the pally. Do they make you play songs on engage or something?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tai posted:

O yeah completely forgot Majine and Domestic/Iwub were at OGC. I liked those guys a lot. Used to meth a lot with them with Punchu and Boog. Good players.

Punchu and Boog, I think went to Cult of Chaos. I could be wrong and I second guessed myself as soon as I wrote it, but it was a weird choice when I saw it.

I still talk to Majine and Domestic by phone/text on the regular. Good people.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Joined a raid guild for the first time on Coirnav and am kind of digging the play style of druid on raids. Having a much better time than I did with enchanter on the few raids I did on Agnarr.

Did the Great Divide ring war last night and it was a cool concept but god awfully slow.

also my Druid (Glower) has the same name as some guy from Phinny and I've probably gotten 30 tells in the past few months asking if I'm him. Anybody know this guy and was he a huge rear end in a top hat or cool?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solarin posted:

also my Druid (Glower) has the same name as some guy from Phinny and I've probably gotten 30 tells in the past few months asking if I'm him. Anybody know this guy and was he a huge rear end in a top hat or cool?

Glowers was an OGC officer. Some people loved him, others hated him. It was real cliquish.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Tai posted:

Lol why does your guild and the tank(s) let you end up on ramp? Pally goes in first and the MT second and taunts it off the pally. Do they make you play songs on engage or something?

As I said, poo poo happens, heh. Sometimes I forget to turn off my songs (because I'm bad), or it's events like Two Gods where no matter what we do it seems to randomly assign Ramp.

And there's plenty of trash and even some events where you can't control it. Like the 16-split fight, hard to control ramp when they split.

Solarin posted:

Did the Great Divide ring war last night and it was a cool concept but god awfully slow.

Yeah, that was a case of "oh man I remember it being this big epic tough fight!" then when we did it here I was like "well this is loving boring, I never want to do this again."

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Punchu rejoined EoE with Hamshire.

Fully understand the reasons posted for loot council, and like I said we're absolutely not perfect. However I can't stand the "its about me" mentality that DKP enables and all of the problems that go with that.

Less than 165 hours to SoF, starting to get excited to play the game again instead of farming tradeskill materials for hours on end...

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

koreban posted:

Punchu and Boog, I think went to Cult of Chaos. I could be wrong and I second guessed myself as soon as I wrote it, but it was a weird choice when I saw it.

I still talk to Majine and Domestic by phone/text on the regular. Good people.

Punchu went back to EoE. Boog went to CoC as their raid times fit him the best as he is a gym trainer and he knocks off at 8pm. CoC did well. He is hands down the best SK on phinny. No one comes close.

Majine and Iwub are good people. Say hi

Tai fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rajaah
Oct 7, 2018

koreban posted:

At multiple times EoE came up as an option to try versus quitting, but loot council was the unanimous reason we chose to unsubscribe.

Not a personal sleight on EoE or hoohah, we just weren’t going to loot council on principle or prejudice to the system.

With all of this talk of quitting as if there's no other option, I'm curious as to why so few WT have shown up in CoC. We've finished at #3 multiple expansions in a row (and will very likely finish at #2 in SoF), we use DKP, we're an efficient and well-oiled machine that spends time testing expansions prior to launch to ensure we post a good performance, we have plenty of mains with no reliance on boxes, and we don't have a toxic guild environment. This covers every problem I've seen brought up on here.

What's the hold-up? Legitimately interested to know.