Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

3's weapon balance is a super mess. But at least it's a mess in the sense that you can just pick whatever weapon you want and win the game while having fun. In 4 there's no real reason to ever use guns because of super powers. 4 is basically just "Well I could play the game. Or I could just use super powers." The entire time, which is frustrating. I really wish someone had been crazy enough to like, port 3's content to 4 or something.

The Dubstep Gun is a notable exception. Though you do need to invest a bunch of money into it, and accruing money is awkward and lame compared to bounding around hoovering up orbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dubstep Gun is a great idea but they kinda hosed it up by giving you one as a reward for an early side quest, then a second one for a mid-late game mission. It feels super obviously like they had it as a reward for the late mission originally, but inserted a way to get one early as instant gratification after marketing put it front and center of the ad campaign.

Spider-Man: I haven't played it but I hear if you fast travel the loading screen is a little vignette of Spidey taking the subway in full costume, and that's awesome. I've seen one screenshot where he stretches out next to a flustered Spider-Man cosplayer.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

The old Spiderman 2 game was the first time I remember actually being impressed by how many fun details there were in a game. Bruce Campbell giving little facts about Spiderman(and New York- "if you have to ask if you're in Central Park, you aren't in Central Park"), pizza delivery missions, the Mysterio missions where he gets more pathetic each time culminating in him robbing a convenience store in costume and he gives an evil villain speech as his health bar fills up 10 times and then you knock him out with one punch... man that was a gaming Experience

You haven't lived until you've spinning piledrivered a goon off the Empire State Building.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Spider-Man looks great. Hopefully will get to try it out today.

Sunswipe posted:

You haven't lived until you've spinning piledrivered a goon off the Empire State Building.

Prototype let you do that disguised as a granny. If a game lets you climb the Empire State Building and not powerbomb somebody off it, that game has issues.

Ugh, Prototype ruled. Someone slap some Venom paint on a new Prototype and give us that please. Or just new Prototype, whatevs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just noticed something in Marvel's Spider-Man.

Was doing a fight on a rooftop, launched someone off a building, kept fighting, started getting boxes ticked off- the game will sometimes give you extra goals during fights and missions- for webbing someone to a wall. So I go down to the ground level and there's a dude webbed to a wall about 11 feet off the ground.

So, Spider-Man does web people to the walls, but it's just not animated or anything. And fair enough on that, hard to have him doing combos on people and also make that happen as well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

McDragon posted:

Spider-Man looks great. Hopefully will get to try it out today.

Prototype let you do that disguised as a granny. If a game lets you climb the Empire State Building and not powerbomb somebody off it, that game has issues.

Ugh, Prototype ruled. Someone slap some Venom paint on a new Prototype and give us that please. Or just new Prototype, whatevs

Surfing down the streets of New York on a corpse while looking like a grandmother is loving hilarious every time.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

2house2fly posted:

The old Spiderman 2 game was the first time I remember actually being impressed by how many fun details there were in a game. Bruce Campbell giving little facts about Spiderman(and New York- "if you have to ask if you're in Central Park, you aren't in Central Park"), pizza delivery missions, the Mysterio missions where he gets more pathetic each time culminating in him robbing a convenience store in costume and he gives an evil villain speech as his health bar fills up 10 times and then you knock him out with one punch... man that was a gaming Experience

I tried completing that game 100%

Came to the realisation that you literally cannot get 100% because the final collectible disappears when you get to 99%

New game looks really good.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
New game is by Insomniac (Ratchet and Clank) and I'm just happy they are still making games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nude posted:

New game is by Insomniac (Ratchet and Clank) and I'm just happy they are still making games.

Same here, I hope that Spider-Man is a mega-hit success so they can get back to making or remaking Ratchet and Clank games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
I went from not caring about the new Spider-Man, to wishing I had a PS4 to play it on, the moment I saw a gif making the rounds on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1037904307197300736

Finally, after all these years of people trying to make Spider-Man games, somebody thinks to make one where you get to perform the most important scene in any Spider-Man media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ron-Ikenfc

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I'm still amazed there are people who thought that dance scene was intended as serious.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Surfing down the streets of New York on a corpse while looking like a grandmother is loving hilarious every time.

Gotta finish off by kicking the corpse at some poor bystander.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Nude posted:

I'm just sad they and Naughty Dog aren't weird parallel universe versions of each other anymore.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Safeword posted:

I'm still amazed there are people who thought that dance scene was intended as serious.

"Dig on this" it's my favorite part of the movie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I reached chapter 3 in Yakuza 0.

:allears:

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I do like how Death's Gambit let's you immediately challenge a boss again after you've killed them. They're souped up and buffed appropriately, but you don't have to slog through an NG cycle to do the fight or farm them for items and experience points.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

People want a Venom game but don't realize Prototype is a Carnage game.

Prototype 1 and 2 are fantastic games which should be played more.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Dubstep Gun is a great idea but they kinda hosed it up by giving you one as a reward for an early side quest, then a second one for a mid-late game mission. It feels super obviously like they had it as a reward for the late mission originally, but inserted a way to get one early as instant gratification after marketing put it front and center of the ad campaign.
I think they also moved stuff around during development, because there's more than one weird thing like that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

U.T. Raptor posted:

I think they also moved stuff around during development, because there's more than one weird thing like that.

The entire structure for that game was hacked apart and stitched together so much that it's a miracle they shipped a playable game.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I went from not caring about the new Spider-Man, to wishing I had a PS4 to play it on, the moment I saw a gif making the rounds on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1037904307197300736

Finally, after all these years of people trying to make Spider-Man games, somebody thinks to make one where you get to perform the most important scene in any Spider-Man media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ron-Ikenfc

More games need unnecesary emote buttons - Oddworld's farting, Transistor's humming, all the dark souls bullshit. I love all of it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I always felt the "boss as president" and "aliens attack/MATRIX!" things were two seperate game/expansion ideas they just stitched together.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you melee without a target in Far Cry Blood Dragon, he flips the bird instead. If you keep mashing it he does it with alternating hands.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Strom Cuzewon posted:

More games need unnecesary emote buttons - Oddworld's farting, Transistor's humming, all the dark souls bullshit. I love all of it.

50 Cent: blood in the sand had a swear button.

That had upgrades.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

If you pressed the left stick in Cargo Commander, your dude would swear at the aliens.

That game is one of my favorite cheap proc-gen games of the last decade. It has a lot of heart to it and the art and sound design just nail this lonely, isolated feeling.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I reached chapter 3 in Yakuza 0.

:allears:

Y0 was my first game of the series and I like some bits of it a lot more after seeing them in the context of the later games. Majima being a suave club manager must have been pretty shocking for people who knew him from his previous appearances as a deranged psychotic lunatic. And after seeing how Yakuza 1 (well Kiwami, but I've seen it was in the original too) establishes that Majima and Kiryu already know each other, fans were probably looking forward to seeing how he and Kiryu met. They must have been surprised when Kiryu and Majima didn't meet at all throughout the story :v:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nude posted:

I'm happy that Sunset Overdrive didn't destroy their studio forever. Though considering that I haven't heard a single thing about Spider-Man's actual gameplay aside from the most bare minimum functional comparisons to the PS2 game and Arkham combat it feels like they took away from that that the ultimate thing that matters is making sure that your branding is on point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

2house2fly posted:

Y0 was my first game of the series and I like some bits of it a lot more after seeing them in the context of the later games. Majima being a suave club manager must have been pretty shocking for people who knew him from his previous appearances as a deranged psychotic lunatic. And after seeing how Yakuza 1 (well Kiwami, but I've seen it was in the original too) establishes that Majima and Kiryu already know each other, fans were probably looking forward to seeing how he and Kiryu met. They must have been surprised when Kiryu and Majima didn't meet at all throughout the story :v:

I only know poo poo about the rest of the series through internet osmosis but I've been loving Y0 to death and it's made me assure myself I'm going to get the other six games as soon as I can. I'm like, not even halfway through but Majima is great. Even knowing his deal in the later games, there's this buildup in his arc that's just layering on a great deal of expectant tension. I also love how almost all of his sidequests involve him learning some kind of family moral or something as opposed to Kiryu who just does some goofy, heartwarming stuff.

The early side story with the little girl who wanted dolls from the arcade was great and I will never hear a bad word about Majima again. :colbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You're going to go from 0 to the remakes to (presumably) the US version of 3? That's gonna be jarring

I did see Yaukza 6 at loving Walmart of all places today which shocked me

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm really enjoying Spider-Man. It's very solid, and I like how mobile Spidey feels in combat. There's a lot of tools at your disposal.

That being said, I've got to remember this isn't Arkham, Spider-Man-style. That's gotten my rear end kicked more than once.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Safeword posted:

It is serious. Serious about showing how much more of a dork Peter is when he's been given ultimate confidence and zero inhibitions.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The worst thing about Yakuza 0 is that you sometimes have to go back to Kiryu's boring real estate business instead of trying to find that perfect nail color and earrings to compliment your top girl's dress in Majima's cabaret club.

I wanna be your girl~

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Red dead redemption was funny

(When talking to a man) "Looks like the good Lord got your rear end and face mixed up."
(When talking to a man) "Bet your Pa wished he'd pulled out."
(When talking to a man) "I hate to see the look on your mother's face when you popped out."
(When talking to a man) "Was your mom and dad related?
(When talking to a man) "Just kill yourself now, do humanity a favor."
(When talking to a man) "C'mon at least pretend to be a man."
(When talking to a man) "You look like you're about to fill your pants, friend."
(When talking to a man) "You ugly or just constipated?"
(When talking to a man) "You look like you come from a close family friend."
(When talking to a man) "You one of them tough guys I've been hearing about?"
(When talking to a man) "Don't look at me that way, I ain't that kinda fella."
(When talking to a man) "Take my advice and give up on life, partner."
(When talking to a man) "You given a man a bad name."
(When talking to a man) "Smile! What are you so scared of."
(When talking to a man) "Call yourself a man."
(When talking to a man) "Promise me you won't have children, mister!"
(When talking to a woman) "Ma'am, you'd be beautiful if your eyes were in the same direction!"
(When talking to a woman) "Sorry miss, There might been a terrible accident."
(When talking to a woman) "Dear God! The cattle have been let loose!"
(When talking to a woman) "You could try to appear a little less different madam."
(When talking to a woman) "Madam, forgive me but you're mighty plain."
(When talking to a woman) "I've never seen livestock walk upright!"
(When talking to a woman) "You should be standing in a field scaring crows."
(When talking to a woman) "Miss, that bosom must prove there is a god!"
(When talking to a woman) "You shouldn't keep the merchandise so hidden from the customer, no?"
(When talking to a woman) "At least you have a fine behind, madam."
(When talking to a woman) "That's some grand cleavage, miss."
(When talking to a woman) "Mmm, yeah I'm gonna remember you for later."
(When talking to a woman) "I like a strong woman, but not that strong."
(When talking to a woman) "You make me wish I wasn't a married man."
(When talking to a woman) "Who did that to you, madam? Lemme get 'em!"
(When talking to a woman) "Who did that to you?"
(When talking to a woman) "Do you still like nature, despite what it did to you?"
(When talking to a woman) "Come on, give me a smile! I won't bite, although you might like it if I did."
(When talking to a woman) "Why you wearing that dress, sir?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

I always felt the "boss as president" and "aliens attack/MATRIX!" things were two seperate game/expansion ideas they just stitched together.
Saints Row 4 was developed from a planned SR3 DLC that was different from how the game ended up, but had the basic ideas of aliens, the Matrix environment and superpowers.

And yeah both SR3 and 4 are quite obviously stitched together from bits and pieces and it's a miracle they turned out halfway coherent. The engine is vastly improved, the toys you get are better, but the actual writing never got as good as SR2 again.

Len posted:

You're going to go from 0 to the remakes to (presumably) the US version of 3? That's gonna be jarring
Apparently they're doing remakes of all of them until they hit the PS4 installments?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lobok posted:

It is serious. Serious about showing how much more of a dork Peter is when he's been given ultimate confidence and zero inhibitions.

I watched Spider-Man 3 this morning after only seeing it in the theater.

It's not as bad as I remember and that whole sequence is routinely misinterpreted.
Look at all the people around Peter, they are grossed out by his unearned swagger.

In the jazz club people are into it because he's making a big spectacle but it's over pretty quickly.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Eddie becoming Venom should've been the stinger, the movie could've breathed a bit more and felt less stuffed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

My Lovely Horse posted:

Apparently they're doing remakes of all of them until they hit the PS4 installments?

Remasters. The resolution is going up, as are the FPS, but they’ll still be the PS3 games.

Though 0 was also a PS3 game.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Spider-Man also has this for the voice acting, which is a neat touch:
https://twitter.com/kirkhamilton/status/1038478705398411264
https://twitter.com/kirkhamilton/status/1038498760882446336

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

This is really cool. I cant wait until I can actually get it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Majima definitely got the better business minigame in Yakuza 0 but I appreciate what happense when you beat your business rivals more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Byzantine posted:

Eddie becoming Venom should've been the stinger, the movie could've breathed a bit more and felt less stuffed.

Raimi didn't want Venom at all and wanted to do the whole Sandman thing as a focus but Sony forced his hand and made him do it. When they started pulling that poo poo again for the potential 4 he walked and so did everyone else.