Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Such a good episode. I love how they peeled back and deconstructed the whole arching game. Showcased how the monarch and rusty are actually good at the whole charade. “Were we this bad when we first started?” was choice. Was St. Cloud sanctioned when he attacked the trailer with Truckasaurus? If he was it kind of dilutes the whole thing even if Doc said ‘New York’ Arch. And it doesn’t really explain it by the guild being under new leadership since he was familiar with the warning scroll. But honestly, I’ll look past it just for how good the episode was. Billy calling St. cloud an rear end in a top hat while laughing and the whole hallucinating part is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"if Michael Kors worked at the Wonka factory" is such a good loving burn

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Imagine getting donuts when you're in the one of the bagel capitals of the world.

New York bagels, like their pizza, is overblown trash you could find better versions of on almost any streetcorner on the West coast

Something in the tap water makes for chewy unpleasant dough

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TK-42-1 posted:

Such a good episode. I love how they peeled back and deconstructed the whole arching game. Showcased how the monarch and rusty are actually good at the whole charade. “Were we this bad when we first started?” was choice. Was St. Cloud sanctioned when he attacked the trailer with Truckasaurus? If he was it kind of dilutes the whole thing even if Doc said ‘New York’ Arch. And it doesn’t really explain it by the guild being under new leadership since he was familiar with the warning scroll. But honestly, I’ll look past it just for how good the episode was. Billy calling St. cloud an rear end in a top hat while laughing and the whole hallucinating part is perfect.

I was also thinking about the truckasaurus arch. It doesn't really jive all that much with this episode. How was St. Cloud able to be successfully arch Billy but now he's unable to do anything? Also, why didn't Pete and Billy use the costumes they already had when being arched by St. Cloud before?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I was also thinking about the truckasaurus arch. It doesn't really jive all that much with this episode. How was St. Cloud able to be successfully arch Billy but now he's unable to do anything? Also, why didn't Pete and Billy use the costumes they already had when being arched by St. Cloud before?

Maybe when he bought Conjectural Technologies they went with it? And to be fair he was really lame beforehand. I don’t think he’s unable to do anything, but he’s unable to arch in a manner that’s anything close to acceptable? The Monarch wants him to be better because it’ll piss off Doc and by selling St. Cloud poo poo he’ll get his rank back up where he wants it. Driving up Truckasaurus and having Pei steak the please please me ball isn’t exactly menacing. The more I think about it the less out of place it is, but it’s still weird. I guess in NYC they really do have to step their game up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

“Were we this bad when we first started?” was choice.

I desperately wanted another mustaches-style flashback like in Powerless in the Face of Death.

But man, what a great goddamn episode.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

GuyonthecoucH posted:

The Venture Brothers: Scams, shams, and OH DAMNS!

Seconding this. Watch and Ward are always great, especially when they're doing the "tour through a hallway of doors" routine like they did with Sheila back in S3.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Dr. Z is the best but I'm worried he's gonna get worn out, he's been in every episode so far and it would be nice to see some of the other council members. l mean if anyone is gonna do a good cop/bad cop routine it should've been Radical Left.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Dr. Z is the best but I'm worried he's gonna get worn out, he's been in every episode so far and it would be nice to see some of the other council members. l mean if anyone is gonna do a good cop/bad cop routine it should've been Radical Left.

speaking of the council members, I wonder if red mantle and dragoon are going to die for old people reasons. it's around the time that buddy holly's generation is starting to keel over anyways

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I hope I wasn't the only one who was singing the makeover song from Clone High during the shopping dream sequence.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mr. Lobe posted:

speaking of the council members, I wonder if red mantle and dragoon are going to die for old people reasons. it's around the time that buddy holly's generation is starting to keel over anyways

Red Mantle is a literal sorcerer, though, and that's not even bringing up all the other probable life extension techniques the guild has.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Mr. Lobe posted:

I've been wondering about this, too. They're already dropping little hints that Dragoon may be in the early stages of dementia. At some point, one of those heads is going to die before the other one. How will they deal with that? Cut one head off? Would it be Mantle's head? Wouldn't that be funny--Dragoon's head on Mantle's body? Or do they leave it there and it skeletonizes, so that whichever one survives has this skeleton head on the other side of his shoulder?

And in a show like this that drips, just drips, with pop culture references, how has nobody called them Zaphod yet? It'd be great, especially if someone keeps doing it, and finally at the end of the episode, one of them asks, "who is this blasted 'Zaphod Beeblebrox?'" after unintentionally making a bunch of HHGTTG references throughout the episode.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 8, 2018

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Master Twig posted:

I hope I wasn't the only one who was singing the makeover song from Clone High during the shopping dream sequence.

No, but my girlfriend laughed really hard at the end when Dr. Z was in a skirt and I looked at her and she just says 'Clueless' and it all clicked

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cojawfee posted:

S-464 had his brain rerouted so he doesn't have normal reactions to things. He doesn't seem phased by what Sheila is describing until she gets to the rats. I assume he's afraid of rats.

Actually, that too -- I expected S464 not to have any response to the intimidation at all. But I just thought the whole interrogation scene was off somehow. Even the cutaway makeover with Dr. Z seemed pretty by-the-numbers.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I find it odd that Sheila was freaking out at addressing a group with male descriptors and then she says "bad guys" in this episode. If she was just doing that to make sure the language of the treaty was gender neutral, they should have made it more clear. This just makes her inconsistent.

That was during a negotiation with the enemy where you want to press every advantage possible. The Guild know full well that they're costumed criminals.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

No, but my girlfriend laughed really hard at the end when Dr. Z was in a skirt and I looked at her and she just says 'Clueless' and it all clicked

THANK you! Those outfits looked so familiar but I just couldn't place it. Now I can sleep at night.

tarlibone posted:

THE GUILD of CALAMITOUS INTENT
Official Issue
DECLARATION
OF
VILLAINOUS AGGRESSION
Set Forth By
____St. Cloud____ Antagonistic Against ____ The Quizboy____

This Document, With The Consent And Supervision Of
THE GUILD OF CALAMITOUS INTENT
Hereby Officially Declares ARCH RIVALRY
Between The Aforementioned Antagonists And Protagonists

Fair Conduct Due To LEVEL ONE Equally Matched Aggression.

Welcome to your demise! Forthwith and forever after, your days are numbered. The aforementioned antagonist will be your undoing. The laments of your children will mix disturbingly with the villainous laughter of the aforementioned constituent of the mighty Guild. For her/his/their pleasure and amusement, your bowels will be wrenched from your torso and used to crown the head of the aforementioned antagonist as pinguid laurels. The meager brains once housed safely in your skull will be scooped out and used with great irony to lubricate the machine that was employed to scoop your brains from your skull. Your eyes will be plucked from their sockets and turned to face your now empty sockets as to guarantee your dying observation will be both dizzying and disturbing.

With this Declaration, THE GUILD OF CALAMITOUS INTENT and its constituents welcomes you and your team into the Guild's FAMILY OF HATE. You are hereby bound by both contract and fear to abide the registered rules of conduct laid out by the governing bodies of Licensed Aggression.

I love all the formalized villain/protagonist dialogue. I cracked up when when, in the last episode, Snoopy politely announced "Well, gentlemen, I will be your undoing" to Red Mantle and Dragoon.

A good set of episodes so far, I give them a thumbs up.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 8, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, duh, somebody just pointed out elsewhere that Rusty being a clone also explains why he doesn't remember knowing the Monarch as a child.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

420 Gank Mid posted:

Something in the tap water makes for chewy unpleasant dough

That's how they're supposed to be. You like bad bagels.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Sash! posted:

That's how they're supposed to be. You like bad bagels.

Fluffy not Chewy

take your Stockholm syndrome for awful baked goods outta here

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The tub torture was pretty much a direct reference to Scaphism but in a tub.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
drat the shirts this time are really soft. They also run a little bigger than I expected but I'm a bit closer to 21 than 24 these days so it'll work out.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

tarlibone posted:

It'd be great, especially if someone keeps doing it, and finally at the end of the episode, one of them asks, "who is this blasted 'Zaphod Beeblebrox?'" after unintentionally making a bunch of HHGTTG references throughout the episode.

Conversely, that wouldn't be great

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh, duh, somebody just pointed out elsewhere that Rusty being a clone also explains why he doesn't remember knowing the Monarch as a child.

:hmmyes: but the monarch doesn’t remember anything either. Is he also a clone?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Rusty completely forgot about the Hadji equivalent too. And it was implied that Rusty mixes up his actual memories with The Rusty Venture Show.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rusty completely forgot about the Hadji equivalent too. And it was implied that Rusty mixes up his actual memories with The Rusty Venture Show.

maybe Jonas hadn't finished the learning bed programming yet so he just put in reruns of the cartoon instead to pad out the runtime

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

420 Gank Mid posted:

maybe Jonas hadn't finished the learning bed programming yet so he just put in reruns of the cartoon instead to pad out the runtime

That would explain a lot.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

420 Gank Mid posted:

Now my headcanon until stated otherwise

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The best thing about Rusty's line (you know the one) is that it's also him admitting he likes the whole setup on some level.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Or that he at least takes some pride in doing things right.

Starting to see how SPHINX would have been direct competition with the Guild back in their heyday, since the Guild is quite happy to train and equip supervillains from scratch, even having standard-issue, easy-to-use equipment adjusted for each level of aggression. I'm guessing, much like COBRA, SPHINX had quite a colourful collection of individualistic supervillains along with their henchman (and the Guild itself does have the Wasps and Strangers. IIRC, the Wasps are the mooks and the Strangers are the elites) but was more of a coherent organisation that maintained an overall theme. (and the whole brain chip thing)

Rose's house must have safety glass, just as well for St Cloud. And also that Rose settled for forcibly giving him a makeover.

Level 1 aggression is basically a glorified prank war.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Aren't Guild Wasps just their helicopters?

I was under the impression triple threat punched McCloud and Pei had to put makeup on to cover his black eyes.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Lord Frisk posted:

Aren't Guild Wasps just their helicopters?

I was under the impression triple threat punched McCloud and Pei had to put makeup on to cover his black eyes.

Guild Wasps are the choppers. The elites were Blackouts, or Blackout Teams. Something like that. And yeah Rose kicked his rear end and they covered up the bruises.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, that's two episodes on a row where DMTM has acted a little out of character in an emotional way.

With both the protagonists and antagonists getting used to being regarded as competent-ish, at least compared to season 1, narratively it might be time for a new wrinkle in the form of a baby...

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I can't see that happening, frankly. Sheila's desire to not have kids was established in, what, the very first episode of the series? That time when the Monarch thought that the Venture Brothers were looking for a real parental figure and almost adopted them?

Speaking of, I think I know why Kimberly didn't know who Sheila was : unlike her colleagues on the Council, she never had a notable solo career as a super-villain.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 9, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Plus Doc and Jackson talked about how Jackson's plans to have her pregnant in season 3 were a really bad idea, with Doc in particular disliking it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cojawfee posted:

I find it odd that Sheila was freaking out at addressing a group with male descriptors and then she says "bad guys" in this episode. If she was just doing that to make sure the language of the treaty was gender neutral, they should have made it more clear. This just makes her inconsistent.

My go to for this is it's one of those things they can call themselves.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Plus Doc and Jackson talked about how Jackson's plans to have her pregnant in season 3 were a really bad idea, with Doc in particular disliking it.

This is true. If memory serves, they saw her as a strong, competent character, one they wanted to keep around. If she had a newborn to take care of, her character would largely go away, because they didn't see her as the type who'd be neglectful of her child. She's not a Venture.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They should just adopt Dean

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why Dean? They should adopt Hank.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I think Hank's leaning more toward good guy than bad. I also think mostly the same for Dean but I could see him being tempted. In any case, this show has a lot more for Hank than Dean to do. I also was just spitballing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hank already has a villain persona.