Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Verranicus posted:

Apparently Battlefield V is censoring the words "DLC" (but not "free DLC") "white man" and "nazi". Reminder that the game is set in World War 2.

Also TitanFall is censored as well

E: an article for your perusal

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2018/09/08/battlefield-v-censors-words-like-nazi-and-white-man-for-some-bizarre-reason/

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Don't suppose anyone here can suggest some decent romhacks of games like Fire Emblem or Pokemon on GBA? I know a ton exist but life is short and I'd sooner avoid the stinkers.

I've heard good things about Pokemon Crystal Clear. It's a hack of Pokemon Crystal where you pick from some choices of which trainer you want to start as, you pick whether you want to start in Johto or Kanto, Kanto has been fixed up to be more in line with the gen 1 version so there's more to do. It also lets you catch every pokemon from gen 1 and 2, in addition to making it a completely open world game so that you can explore in any order you'd like, and gyms progress in difficulty based on your badge count and you can later set the difficulty and refight the gym leaders according to whatever badge count you set it at. Here's a vid that goes over it. It's pretty neat looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQYBsZ78fdI

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Reality Pisser posted:

Post the 9/11 pokemon tia

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

Apparently Battlefield V is censoring the words "DLC" (but not "free DLC") "white man" and "nazi". Reminder that the game is set in World War 2.

Reminder that most pubbies are uncivilized, small brained dickheads. If the cost for less complaints in chat about "why can't I can't I wear a true Nazi uniform with swastika", "white power"and the like is being unable to say "DLC", that is a more than fair price to pay.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Battlefield doesn't actually need chat at all

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hopper posted:

Reminder that most pubbies are uncivilized, small brained dickheads. If the cost for less complaints in chat about "why can't I can't I wear a true Nazi uniform with swastika", "white power"and the like is being unable to say "DLC", that is a more than fair price to pay.

Lol. Censor everything so I dont have to hear bad things from three idiots

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Relax Or DIE posted:

Battlefield doesn't actually need chat at all

Yeah honestly in a 64-player match it's fuckin' pointless, disable all text and voice chat and have all communication be voice lines that drop from loot boxes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it's impossible to censor hate speech without also censoring people mentioning dlc so i can see how that's a fair tradeoff yeah

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Battle field should have 640 players in a match and let you have a tank pretty much when ever.

Wtf is wrong with game designers

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
If you have time to type you are not playing right anyway. And who cares about them censoring DLC? If they left all chat out we'd still be on mumble anyway.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
You guys must be playing on console or something because I remember typing a whole bunch in BF1942, BF2 and BF3 when I played on PC. :shrug: I think it's pretty dumb to censor anything in a video game outside of outright racial slurs.

Hopper posted:

It was "white man" not "white power".

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Anything you need to say in an online shooter can be clearly communicated with a combination of c'mons and booyahs

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
You need a single button that says 'SHAZBOT' and nothing else.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Battle field should have 640 players in a match and let you have a tank pretty much when ever.

Wtf is wrong with game designers

When I was younger the concept of something like World War II Online sounded super cool

May 8, 2006

I chatted a lot in old FPS games too - and it had more value before the widespread adoption of easy voice chat, and when you were playing in servers hosted by other players. If you were on one worth a drat, someone was booting the real shitheads anyway.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Seems dumb, filters like that are generally so easy to get around that all it'll do is fuel the "SJW censorship" garbage which people'll eat up. Just handing ammo to idiots for little reason if that's all there is to it.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
BF is full of people handing ammo to idiots so this works out

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Honestly right now the rumor is that it was a "rogue dev" because as stupid as EA is I don't think making "white man" a censored word/phrase is something even they would consciously do.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rogue dev not wanting dlc or fate of titanfall discussed

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm glad I can chat in Overwatch so I can assure everyone in my comp matches that I'm a torb main and not to worry.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Good.

Artifex Mundi ones own
yeah i installed 8 artifex mundi ones

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Verranicus posted:

I'm glad I can chat in Overwatch so I can assure everyone in my comp matches that I'm a torb main and not to worry.

man i've seen you post some stupid and out there poo poo sometimes but being glad about anything overwatch that isn't Servers Shut Down Forever is just over the line

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Game of the Month is Tekken 7 Season 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqOidq3n1Q4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=med1IJfQAQM

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Twist and Shout is a good rear end song and I'm glad Lei brought it along with him.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The White Dragon posted:

man i've seen you post some stupid and out there poo poo sometimes but being glad about anything overwatch that isn't Servers Shut Down Forever is just over the line

Why do you hate Overwatch?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
because it's full of screaming assholes who will flip their poo poo at you for not having played since launch and will lose their goddamn mind if a new player is ruining their unranked match

gently caress overwatch, gently caress mobas, gently caress "team based character shooters" or whatever you want to call them, trash genre. at least mobage can be fun

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nah, Overwatch is pretty ok.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've played a whole bunch of Quick Play for the past week and it's been extremely chill, people are generally pretty nice to one another and there haven't been too many curbstomps in either direction.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In a hundred hours of unranked Overwatch I have received, like, one abusive chat. 90% of people don't even have voice on

Dota, on the other hand, I tried to play a bit after one of the TIs and in like 5 games I received murder threats, slurs, and also someone on the team throwing and all-chatting the enemy my position to gank me

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I've played a whole bunch of Quick Play for the past week and it's been extremely chill, people are generally pretty nice to one another and there haven't been too many curbstomps in either direction.

I've had some people whining when I picked a character they thought should not have been picked, but mostly people are silent when I don't remember to just mute voice chat anyway.

It's still not very fun to play, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the first day i bought overwatch, i played unranked with like one friend and three pugs. my team was loving furious that i wasn't pro ice at that poo poo. i was like "guys i just bought this game cut me some slack" and they were like "gently caress YOU YOU SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING" so i realized, they were right! just not for the reasons they thought.

i haven't played it since, and i'm pleased, because it's garbage.

for timeframe, this was decemberish of 2016? if the community has changed, well, i don't really give a gently caress

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 9, 2018

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Overwatch is great. Once they added mystery heroes it was the only mode I played because it's v chill and you get to use everyone

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think it is okay for someone to not enjoy a game because of the toxic community associated with it

but it is also equally okay to enjoy a game despite the toxic community associated with it

No need for one side to get mad at the other when you both share the same common thread of not liking the toxic community

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Overwatch is pretty okay as far as online goes because it takes a very casual approach to the genre. It's the Smash Bros of shooters with all the items on i.e. the only true way to play smash bros.

I tried dota, got the first 5v5 match of the tutorial, and then someone on my team threatens to murder me because I bought a flying donkey and top laners don't buy flying donkies or something dumb like that.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I don't care other than complaining the game shouldn't exist loudly

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

al-azad posted:

Overwatch is pretty okay as far as online goes because it takes a very casual approach to the genre. It's the Smash Bros of shooters with all the items on i.e. the only true way to play smash bros.

I would say it's more the competitive smash of shooters.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

I would say it's more the competitive smash of shooters.

Ranked sure but people are chill in casual and whatever flavor of the week match they have.

May 8, 2006

I just learned that the 100% speedrun record for Baten Kaitos is 341 hours long

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

Sleep is probably factored into that from what I remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Relax Or DIE posted:

the reason is one of the cards transforms after that amount of time. i assume whoever bothered to speedrun it just left the game running while they went about their life for a week or two

• Locked thread