Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dirk the Average posted:

It's also nice because almost everything that you do works towards some permanent improvement. The incremental progress is just that - progress. You are moving forward in tangible ways and laying groundwork to make future crafting either possible or more efficient

Or at the very least you can sell the flitches you made too many of, Again, and that's still some small progress towards getting enough money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah the game excels at the “flow” of progress and never feeling like you’re not making progress as you jump to any of 50 tasks, and if you like that you’ll like the game. If you just want to do one thing or have a perfect zen garden to rake sand in, that’s more Stardew’s realm. I like both, this scratches a different (albeit very similar) itch. This feels less about managing my time, yet more “hectic” in a way.

Except alchemy. gently caress finding recipes. They fix that and give you a way to figure them out without a wiki and it’ll be great. Even if it’s just showing you which once you’ve tried that don’t work.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I don't really enjoy games where you don't have some sort of goal to accomplish, and so my issue with Stardew is that it's very fun but the game is basically over once you get a greenhouse full of the ancient berries since the only resource in the game is money. I've gotten more mileage out of the game by trying to do things like a no crops playthrough where I make money through other means, but in normal circumstances you don't really need any animals or bee farms or mushrooms or fruit because they only give you money, and they're all less efficient than berries at giving money. Yeah, you can make meals out of that stuff, but you can max out friendship hearts without ever touching cooking.

In Graveyard Keeper, nothing is optional and there's no flavor items. You gotta dabble in everything and be really proficient in almost everything if you wanna move forward. I never get that regret feeling of "ugh is there a point to growing these carrots when wine sells for more?" because you need those carrots, just like you need those pumpkins and that wheat and the stone and the wood and the alchemy and the books and the church bleachers

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

HenryEx posted:

You are just aallllways busy, there's so much stuff to do and in the pursuit of x you tend to lose sight of y until you suddenly remember and go full steam in some other direction.

Like, a character asks you for some gold-star burgers. Alright, time to cook!
Except you need gold-star onions for that. Okay whatever, time to grow some onions first. The farmer only sells you silver-star seeds though, so you need to make your own boost-fertilizer to get it up to gold rating.
BUT for that, you need a high-grade alchemy table! Which needs some complicated woodwork, so you need to upgrade your carpenter's bench first, and that means getting some more wood precessed. You also need advanced flasks, which means you need a furnace to make you some glass first, for which you need ash so you gotta first do your actual job as a graveyard keeper and autopsy/incinerate some corpses. Which is good, because the ACTUAL recipe for the fertilizer also requires even more ash, and other alchemic solutions for which you'll probably have to go out and collect some flowers or mushrooms for. Eventually.
But first, you need to grow and harvest something else, and compost the harvesting waste to get some peat as a base for your effective fertilizer! You might as well grow some wheat, since you'll need to eventually bake some buns for the burgers. Remember the burgers???
You then notice that you can't actually make the advanced flasks or your new carpenter's work bench yet, because you still need blue skill points to learn the technology first. Where to get blue skill points? Not easy... Mostly through doing your actual job, and interring people (instead of incinerating them like you did before, so more work), or more precisely, carving grave decorations for them. Time to visit the quarry to get some materials for gravestones?
Oh what, you don't know the quarry? Just take a week off and explore, find it, and then build a camp with important workstations on site, then come back to what you were doing.

Uh, what was that again?

Eyes on the prize, Henry, eyes on the prize

burgers

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Basically this

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I really wish I could bulk sell off my produce. I've got almost a trunk full of veggies that I can't sell for more than 3cp a piece. I haven't found anyone willing to buy lentils or onions yet either. On the other hand, getting paid for burning bodies ensures I'll never actually go broke.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You have to get the trade license so you can box them up for shipping to town.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah get that trade license so you can box up your pumpkins, lentils and onions and sell them for roughly 50 copper per gold star piece. You'll need to craft crates for them, so stock up on some flitches and nails.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
If the game have more contents, I would imagine the Aristocats paper be 5 gold, then you move to The Town and work your way up another three tier of citizenship (7g Gentry ,8g patrician ,10g Royalty) with higher paying side investment projects. 12 Gold would be the secret good ending.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Are they ever going to add The Town or are the devs for this game just super trolls who think that wasting resources on that pass was worth the joke in their game which is nothing but progression grinding?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Town is only a metaphor.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I still haven't been convinced The Town exists in universe.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
The Town is hell. The game so far is Purgatory. You died in the first scene.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Are they ever going to add The Town or are the devs for this game just super trolls who think that wasting resources on that pass was worth the joke in their game which is nothing but progression grinding?

It was a really bad and dumb "joke". They apparently never intended for there to be a Town.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/HojaLateralus/recommended/599140/

Hope you understand why a bunch of players have pitchforks and torches in the review section now.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Those players should get over themselves

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I mean, it was a dick move by the devs, but the games seems pretty complete. Not every game is going to be Stardew Valley or Terraria.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Seems weird to rage about not getting to go to a place that never existed and was never going to.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

ILL Machina posted:

Seems weird to rage about not getting to go to a place that never existed and was never going to.

When it was part of the alpha and the only reason you couldn't go to it then was "it's not the full game yet", it's a pretty dick move to re-classify content as 'a joke' and not make it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

When it was part of the alpha and the only reason you couldn't go to it then was "it's not the full game yet", it's a pretty dick move to re-classify content as 'a joke' and not make it.

Yeah if the game as it is now is considered feature complete then it’s pretty disappointing. It’s also worth remembering that the game was listed on steam as being an early access title before it went up for sale, then it skipped from version 0.6x to 1.0 and straight to full release on steam.

It very much looks like they cut a ton of promised content, polished what they had already and slapped a sticker on it to push it out the door.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I feel like I need to keep a to do list for this game because there’s so much to do that I get sidetracked a lot.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The main goal of the game is to make 12 gold pieces. Everything else will fall out of that.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Sage Grimm posted:

The main goal of the game is to make 12 gold pieces. Everything else will fall out of that.

It's kind of sad that this is true. You can even bypass most of the dungeon by spending and extra 10g.

It just seemed a little pointless to make the aristocrat papers required for all three major questlines. I mean you have to complete all of them anyway so give me a different requirement for each of them! At least one quest required finishing the dungeon (or spending 10g).

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Unless I'm totally blind, there is no technology for cutting down dead trees but they have a prompt when you try to cut them. What am I missing?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Dr. Clockwork posted:

What am I missing?
Shovel to unroot the dead tree.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Unless I'm totally blind, there is no technology for cutting down dead trees but they have a prompt when you try to cut them. What am I missing?

I think it's the big tree cutting tech.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

You would think now that I'm a prestigious preacher with a grand cathedral and an awesome Graveyard setup, I could buy or at least rent a goddamn cart to transport my crates of pumpkins to the trade office instead of having to kick 10 of them down the road for a day and a half.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Okay, this is weird. My graveyard was at 170 Quality and an event triggered where ghost blasted some graves with lightning which took some red skulls out but also broke a bunch of gravestones and fences. After this event was done, my Quality was 210 for some reason. I fixed everything which bumped me up a few more points. Then a few in-games days go by and my graveyard is back to 174. The gently caress?

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

You would think now that I'm a prestigious preacher with a grand cathedral and an awesome Graveyard setup, I could buy or at least rent a goddamn cart to transport my crates of pumpkins to the trade office instead of having to kick 10 of them down the road for a day and a half.

It'd be nice if you could pay the donkey extra to haul a couple crates back to town after dropping off a corpse.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Okay, this is weird. My graveyard was at 170 Quality and an event triggered where ghost blasted some graves with lightning which took some red skulls out but also broke a bunch of gravestones and fences. After this event was done, my Quality was 210 for some reason. I fixed everything which bumped me up a few more points. Then a few in-games days go by and my graveyard is back to 174. The gently caress?
If you save while the bishop is visiting it rolls something or other in his inventory into your score. Saving it when he's gone jiggles it back to normal. I think prayer rewards are based on the base score regardless.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm starting to really hate Snake. He's never around when I need him. He's supposed to show up on the night between green day (envy) and inquistor day (wrath) near the gate I need him to unlock right? I've got the activated key but I haven't been able to catch him for 3 weeks in a row.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I think he actually shows up when the day changes to envy.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I think he actually shows up when the day changes to envy.

You are correct. Because Snake is a liar. That's the night of Gluttony.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Before the gate is unlocked he shows up every night, it's only after the unlock that he sticks to Envy (daytime).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
He actually shows up very early into Green Day, you can talk to him at like 1 or 2 a.m. already and he stays almost the entire day.
Unlike the inquisitor who's only ready to talk to you at like 11 a.m. :argh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Today I sold human flesh to the village.

There was no fanfare and the rate for the meat was pretty low. :geno:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm surprised nobody has complained about the dungeon yet. Having to fully clear each level before moving on to the next is terribly stupid. Especially since quest items only show up at set levels.

Fishing is so much worse than Stardew Valley. Harder to trigger, and the bar is way less responsive in gamepad.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 9, 2018

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Even that is wonk-ily implemented. You can sometimes convince the dungeon that it has been cleared before all the enemies are wiped; I noticed this when I've pulled out monsters from the last room then died.

Also there is no penalty to dying, thus no reason to ever make healing potions.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Even that is wonk-ily implemented. You can sometimes convince the dungeon that it has been cleared before all the enemies are wiped; I noticed this when I've pulled out monsters from the last room then died.

Also there is no penalty to dying, thus no reason to ever make healing potions.

I mean the penalty is the time it takes you to walk back to where you were in the dungeon, but I guess healing potions take time sooooo

The answer is Mead/beer/wine for all your healing needs.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone know what to do with Carp? It's not showing up as a fillet option in my kitchen. Do I need to upgrade something?

Edit: I'm just hating this quality fillet quest for the bishop and I'm trying to think why this feels so bad. I think its because it

a) requires multiple. Asking me to get one is interesting because I get to explore and look for where I can get it. Asking for multiple is just grinding.

b) its gating progress behind multiple RNGs. Progress shouldn't be locked by one rng, much less multiple. There should either be multiple ways to progress the mainline story to preserve player agency or no randomness.

Edit Edit: oh thank goodness, it's only like 2 silver from the lighthouse to buy all 4. Why'd I spend 5 sp on this fancy fishing rod?

Wow, the Bishop fucks you over like 3 times in a row when you try to upgrade to the big church. Warning to other players, make sure you have like, half a gold spare in your wallet before upgrading.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Just buy the fish fillets from the fisherman, catching them isn't worth the effort.