Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Lol 616 cop code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It’s even worse than that because he really didn’t. She apparently hates him because her life has turned to poo poo ever since he first showed up.

I see you too watched the cringefest that was episode 3.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ward continues to be the best

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pillowpants posted:

I am watching Episode 1, but it just reminds me how much I hated the first season and that the actor who plays Danny is terrible.

Man, it's this. Big time. The better Netflix Marvel shows are all driven by really good acting (Cox, D'Onofrio, Bernthal). Finn is just goofy.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I've started ep 8, and... does anyone else think it comes across as incredibly bizarre that Danny has seemed to do nothing this season but try to protect the murderous triad gangs, while the bad guy iron fist is trying to stop them all?

On the plus side for this season, everything about Walker/Mary has been great.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Haven’t watched this yet, but I assume that Typhoid Mary has no powers here, thus continuing the Netflix Marvel universe’s weird aversion to any sort of physical powers beyond variations on “can punch things really, really hard.”

Also, how far does this go with the supernatural elements that S1 kept to a bare minimum outside of exposition dumps? Spoilers welcome.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Tom Guycot posted:

I've started ep 8, and... does anyone else think it comes across as incredibly bizarre that Danny has seemed to do nothing this season but try to protect the murderous triad gangs, while the bad guy iron fist is trying to stop them all?

This scans with my read of him as a retard gently caress up.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just finished since I watched during work and not worked.

Tom Guycot posted:

On the plus side for this season, everything about Walker/Mary has been great.

Yea she was pretty awesome. I don't know anything from the comics but I really enjoyed her (and the actress).

Ending loving awesome Colleen's katana glows as well! Ward continues to be the best and dualing pistols by Danny was to funny

Overall I think it was slightly better than the first season but still the weakest series.

Ramadu posted:

ward continues to be the best

:agreed:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I only watched the first episode so far, but we're supposed to agree with and root for Davos right? I mean he's absolutely right. Danny literally ruins everything, including poor Davos' childhood and his entire city. I hope that by the end of the next episode Danny is dead and the rest of the show is about Davos, the real Iron Fist. I bet that would make a way better show.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Does Kun'Lun still exist? Like, was it destroyed or did it leave?

edit: I couldn't get through the first episode.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 8, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

And not wasting any time.

Okay, surely this season is the introduction of Stilt Man.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Finished the series, hahahaha it has the best ending ever.

I love that the show was aware enough of itself to know how much Danny sucks and they just made Colleen the new iron fist. The only disappointing part was seeing Danny had his iron fisting power back at the ending scene. I really wish he would have just faded off and it could become fully the Coleen show.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Barry Convex posted:

Haven’t watched this yet, but I assume that Typhoid Mary has no powers here, thus continuing the Netflix Marvel universe’s weird aversion to any sort of physical powers beyond variations on “can punch things really, really hard.”

Also, how far does this go with the supernatural elements that S1 kept to a bare minimum outside of exposition dumps? Spoilers welcome.

Mary/Walker does not have powers, but toward the end it is revealed that there's probably a third, more dangerous personality that killed all of the guards in a Sokovian prison.

There's a fairly significant amount of supernatural Iron Fist-related stuff.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Thought this was good, a bit more streamlined that the first season, I think three fewer episodes helped to some degree, on the other hand... Felt several times that three more episodes actually would have helped with some plotlines. I know Mary has a lot more comics history to go into, so I kept expecting her to get more background and development with the third alter. I guess they're saving that for next season or Daredevil maybe? Colleen becoming the new Iron Fist was a bit of a surprise, with the way that last episode was going, I was like, are they really just going all the way and writing Danny out of the series?... then when Ward got on board the plane, I was like "hell yes, I just want them going on adventures and getting into trouble all next season." Hopefully we'll still get more of that now that Danny has Orson Randall's gun-fu abilities somehow.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's great to see them bringing in more of the Fraction/Aja run of Iron Fist into the Netflix series. Making Colleen Wing a descendant of Wu Ao-Shi and introducing Orson Randall and those gun-fu powers of his (even by proxy) is perfect.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

The fight scenes are better but not great, Danny is the worst character on the show, I still hate the casting choice there. Colleen is way better than he is. The plot and writing is hackneyed and predictable. The reviewer who said it’s mostly watchable described it correctly.

E; Ward has some good moments though and the setting is well done, much as Harlem and Hells Kitchen were good ‘characters’ in the others. Misty is always good but that’s not an IF credit.

Oh and ep 3 is loving awful. For many reasons.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 8, 2018

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It sounds like the “mostly competent” Iron Fist show I wanted arrived...and Finn Jones is still garbage in it. Sorry Finn, you were a bad choice!

HIJK fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 8, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I hope we never get another IF series and they finally give the people what they want.

Misty and Colleen, Daughters of the Dragon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HIJK posted:

It soubds like the “mostly competent” Iron Fist show I wanted arrived...and Finn Jones is still garbage in it. Sorry Finn, you were a bad choice!

While I know Finn was in Game of Thrones and all that, I'm still not sure what possessed the showrunners to decide he was right for the lead role in a prestige drama.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dawgstar posted:

While I know Finn was in Game of Thrones and all that, I'm still not sure what possessed the showrunners to decide he was right for the lead role in a prestige drama.

Or a karate show.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just hit Danny with a wrecking ball and take him out of the story for a year and get Finn some training and whey protein.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dawgstar posted:

Iron Fist had a very troubled production and was very, very badly managed. Supposedly word got out to the acting community for serious actors to stay away, and Finn was apparently the best of the bunch who did apply.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Scott Buck

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lid posted:

Scott Buck

+ rushed production time. Either one of these alone can spell disaster but we got both lmao

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lid posted:

Scott Buck

*walks on to the set of Iron Fist, promises best action packed episode of Iron Chef anyone's ever seen ever. ON A BUDGET.*

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Scott Buck and Chuck Austen are the same person.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I'm not even joking, for those who don't remember the early to mid 2000s.

http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-89-the-rise-and-fall-of-chuck-austen/

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
This is really hard to get through. I really can’t stand Finn. He’s a bad actor and his character seems to have gone through the Flash Theme of ruining everything.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Iron fistless 2 was okish, now I can only hope that maybe ward will learn kung fu as part of his journey of self discovery

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
So, uh, I never go around to watching season two of Luke Cage. I'm fixing that now and I'm up to episode eight. It's better than a lot of what's come before it but man, are there some really rough spots.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Pillowpants posted:

This is really hard to get through. I really can’t stand Finn. He’s a bad actor and his character seems to have gone through the Flash Theme of ruining everything.

I've said it before but they should just scrap IF and do Daughters of the Dragon

I know it'll never happen but Colleen and Misty are the only two engaging characters in their respective shows and it would be awesome to have them anchor their own show

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Calling a show "watchable" makes me laugh. It's like the ultimate damning with faint praise. Trying to remember the last restaurant I went to and was like "it's edible" or a beer I had that was "drinkable". Why am I supposed to waste 10 hours on that?

Not sure how we wound up with IF2 before DDs3 though and I am irritated by that too. From the sound of it, DDs3 seems to be in the can. Hope Netflix just surprise drops it unannounced.

Next Friday would be good.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Gawain The Blind posted:

I never read the Iron Fist comics. Was it just a whole bunch of awful family drama? Is Iron Fist related to all of his antagonists in some way?
if someone read Iron Fist the comics 10 years ago, forgot it, had a bad and boring dream about it, told that dream to their kid, and then their kid made a TV show based solely on the bad and boring dream, that show would probably feel more like the comics than this show

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

They should have made Colleen the Iron Fist like 10 minutes into the season.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

This show is fantastic, and by this show, I mean Knight & Wing

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

BiggerBoat posted:

Calling a show "watchable" makes me laugh. It's like the ultimate damning with faint praise. Trying to remember the last restaurant I went to and was like "it's edible" or a beer I had that was "drinkable". Why am I supposed to waste 10 hours on that?

I mean, that's exactly what it is. If you go to a restaurant and the best you can say is "it's edible", you probably don't go back to that restaurant. But if you're hungry and someone shows up with a bag of their takeout, you might have some. The difference is that there isn't an overload of watchable-or-better programming and you can't just watch Daredevil Season 1 every week the way you might stop at your favorite burger joint.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Marvel is making GBS threads the bed on these TV shows

Daredevil S1 was so promising

Netflix needs to send a truckload of cash, hookers, and blow to Steven S DeKnight's house and make him the Marvel Netflix Czar.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

He's Danny Rand! He can't go to a hospital!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Except that then he goes to the hospital and nothing bad happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I literally made it about 3 minutes past the opening fight scene. This show is trash.