Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

I wouldn't say disabled, but the dude is almost 65.

My understanding was that a mix of being that age and the fact he has routinely destroyed himself for decades means he can’t do most stunts anymore.

Hell, I did less than he did, and I’m turning 30 in a month, and my joints just hurt all the goddamn time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Goddamnit Luke Cage, what is it with Netflix deciding to go with some pretentious rear end in a top hat director for key episodes?

Episode 12 of Luke Cage is basically the climax of the season and the directing is total poo poo throughout. Super distracting "artsy" shots throughout, and the big action setpiece is all over the place.

Alfre Woodard is like the only reason why this season works as well it does; her character arc is stuttery as hell.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Iron Fist 2 early reviews are...not exactly overwhelming

Lamont fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 5, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lamont posted:

That's a shame. I was hoping for things to pick up, since I like when things become or come out good, because that makes it easy for me to enjoy things. But everything can't manage to pull an AOS, sadly.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Marvel is making GBS threads the bed on these TV shows

Daredevil S1 was so promising

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lamont posted:

Man the reviews for Jessica Jones Season 2 were largely positive so I don't even know what the gently caress to think.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lamont posted:

God drat. "It's Watchable" is such a backhanded review.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
"watchable" is better than I expected, kudos for the major turnaround

maybe we'll get up to the storied heights of "decent, I guess" by S3

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Lamont posted:

We live in an age of racing other reviewers to try and seem like the Most Critical, which usually means saying kinda bad things are the Worst Ever And Problematic For X Reasons and that kinda good things are Ugh, Fine, I Guess I'll Admit I Saw It, But I Was Smiling At My Cat, Not The TV. None of these reviews mean poo poo anymore. Especially not from comicbook.com or Gamespot.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lamont posted:

Improved but not better or better but not improved?:smug:

Whalley posted:

We live in an age of racing other reviewers to try and seem like the Most Critical, which usually means saying kinda bad things are the Worst Ever And Problematic For X Reasons and that kinda good things are Ugh, Fine, I Guess I'll Admit I Saw It, But I Was Smiling At My Cat, Not The TV. None of these reviews mean poo poo anymore. Especially not from comicbook.com or Gamespot.

Or this topic, amirite?:v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soothing Vapors posted:

"watchable" is better than I expected, kudos for the major turnaround

maybe we'll get up to the storied heights of "decent, I guess" by S3

By S4 they might even reach peak 'it was alright, considering."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And by season 22 we'll be calling it the instant ramen of television.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

And by season 22 we'll be calling it the instant ramen of television.

So like the S1 hallway fight, but in my bowels?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought DD S3 was the next one?

Do you think that Disney just doesn't care anymore and they're just fulfilling their obligation to Netflix because making cheap mediocre shows is easier than breaking contract? They're making their own streaming service soon and I doubt they're eager to release stuff that will eventually compete with their own service.

Serf
May 5, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

Do you think that Disney just doesn't care anymore and they're just fulfilling their obligation to Netflix because making cheap mediocre shows is easier than breaking contract? They're making their own streaming service soon and I doubt they're eager to release stuff that will eventually compete with their own service.

probably, but i don't envision disney putting anything on there that would actually compete with the netflix stuff, at least for people looking for a similar tone and subject matter

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
C'mon, everyone was laughing about the choreography trailer a week ago.

Let's all just collectively hope the shorter length (please tell that was legit and not a fever dream) of the series and new branding as "watchable" mean more than 3 people in here get past the 3-episode test.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

counterfeitsaint posted:

No, I think Iron Fist 2 drops this weekend. DD 3 will probably be later this month or some time in October.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

It's here! Who is watching?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BSam posted:

It's here! Who is watching?

No it's not.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

It is in Australia.

Episode 1, writing bad, so what?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I was hyped to be let down tonight. Then I picked up Chrono Trigger on Steam a few days ago and forgot. Also the Megaman 11 demo dropped on the Switch store.

No, seriously, the above is all true.

I'll try to start in a few hours.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I've seen the first two episodes. Non-spoiler: the quality is so much better. Also, Colleen kicks so much rear end.

For Ep2. spoilers!: I felt a little uncomfortable when Joy hinted that the only way to get the bowl was for Davos to have sex with the hot asian lady. And a little more when the sex having started and Davos got a bit violent, but then I remembered: from Davos perspective, he's the one who's getting sexually assaulted, because the asian lady had something he wanted and sex was the only way to get it. He didn't want to have sex. It was forced on him by Joy.

Makes his words have more weight when he confronts Yang and says that's the wrong morning to mess with him.

Edit: Also chuckled when Danny invites Mary back to his place, but says he has a girlfriend. Good guy Danny!

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 7, 2018

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Two episodes down.

Visually the show is much more coherent, and the limited stunt work so far is a small improvement, but it seems like they're establishing too many little sub-plots that exists in their own little isolated bubbles for now. Maybe I'm just tired, but it feels bloated and unfocused already.

On the bright side, Danny isn't a goofy dumbshit like in S1, so I'll probably survive all 10 eps.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ep3, and so far I'm interested in this theme that you shouldn't fight your problems, but come together and sit down and work things out.

I would be genuinely impressed if the climax of this series wasn't a big fight but a resolving of conflict peacefully without a fight. Though I suppose, the real lesson will be talking is a waste and you should punch out your issues.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah this is a lot better than S1. I'm liking the Mary stuff.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And not wasting any time.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Daredevil Season 3 Teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R6lb45fXFA

Old suit is back.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I never read the Iron Fist comics. Was it just a whole bunch of awful family drama? Is Iron Fist related to all of his antagonists in some way?

I'm on episode 4 and so far it's pretty much as bad as the first season. Maybe with slightly better fight choreography, but not by a lot.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Danny Rand is stupid.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The first season was kind of an adaptation of the first Iron Fist arc from the 70s - Danny comes back from Kun Lun to get revenge on Meachum, who killed his father. They shoved the Hand in it (who hadn’t even been invented in yet and are 80s Daredevil villains) and generally did a lovely job, of course.

The Iron Fist comics everybody likes are the mid 00s ones by Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker and David Aja. They pulled a little from that for the show but it’s not the main inspiration.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Episode 1 opening scene danny clearly knows a crime is happening and just lets 3 dudes get murdered. I see we are continuing right off the bat with being terrible.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
On episode 2 and if it seems like they're introducing Typhoid Mary. They should have used her for Jessica Jones. Doing that would be also mean they lifted something else from Daredevil and gave it to Iron Fist.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gawain The Blind posted:

I never read the Iron Fist comics. Was it just a whole bunch of awful family drama? Is Iron Fist related to all of his antagonists in some way?

Oh, not at all. Those are actually about a dude from a mystical hidden city who wields magical kung fu against people who also have the same, as well as wacky adventures with his best buddy Luke Cage.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Done. I enjoyed that a lot. Nowhere near top netflix marvel, but so much better than season 1.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

BSam posted:

Done. I enjoyed that a lot. Nowhere near top netflix marvel, but so much better than season 1.

Sorry, I thought I was done, but the last few seconds are loving amazing. Hahaha.

Now I'm done.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gawain The Blind posted:

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, not at all. Those are actually about a dude from a mystical hidden city who wields magical kung fu against people who also have the same, as well as wacky adventures with his best buddy Luke Cage.

If any thing read Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist. It's a deep dive into the lore of the Seven Cities of Heaven and the Immortal Weapons. It's also really, really good.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

KidDynamite posted:

Episode 1 opening scene danny clearly knows a crime is happening and just lets 3 dudes get murdered. I see we are continuing right off the bat with being terrible.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. I was worried I was just being nitpicky, but it was rubbing me wrong that this hero only saved some money and not lives.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I am watching Episode 1, but it just reminds me how much I hated the first season and that the actor who plays Danny is terrible.

Why does Joy hate Danny so much? I can’t remember how their storyline ended

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pillowpants posted:

I am watching Episode 1, but it just reminds me how much I hated the first season and that the actor who plays Danny is terrible.

Why does Joy hate Danny so much? I can’t remember how their storyline ended

He killed her dad. I think, it doesn't really make much sense because the last time the two of them interacted she learned her dad was a murderer and walked out on him IIRC.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It’s even worse than that because he really didn’t. She apparently hates him because her life has turned to poo poo ever since he first showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Arist posted:

He killed her dad. I think, it doesn't really make much sense because the last time the two of them interacted she learned her dad was a murderer and walked out on him IIRC.

Joy's sudden switch of alliance was probably the most stupid plot point of the first season finale. Because I remember that one and how it didn't make much sense other than obviously spelling out "we need to create some hooks for a next season". And I recall little else from that episode.