Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

Forward published an article today by some of Julia's old classmates at Columbia and Barnard defending her Judaism. I also took a video at a fundraiser yesterday where she talked about her father telling about his heritage, but I'm not sure where I can upload a video just for the thread to see.

quote:

All of us lived in Jewish community with Julia at Columbia and Barnard.

Look, I'm not going to pretend I have an automatic understanding of American Jews, I'm an Israeli Jew who is also an American, but this sounds really jarring. Is this a way American Jews express their relation to their religion and each other? I'd expect this kind of language from Christian evangelists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Look, I'm not going to pretend I have an automatic understanding of American Jews, I'm an Israeli Jew who is also an American, but this sounds really jarring. Is this a way American Jews express their relation to their religion and each other? I'd expect this kind of language from Christian evangelists.

The Hillel kids are always cult-y weirdos

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 23:01 on Sep 6, 2018

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Leecia Eve would be an impressive AG candidate if she weren’t so completely not-credible when cornered about any issue re: Verizon.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

So Julia Salazar grew up next door to Keith Hernandez in Jupiter, Florida and sued his ex-wife Kai for defamation after Kai accused her of robbing her and identity theft, for which Salazar was arrested..... ??????
kai also accused julia of getting some mustache rides from having an affair with keith. i'm not even going to touch this story

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Hillel kids are always cult-y weirdos
as an organization, hillel is ridiculously pro-israel, which explains her flirtation with zionism before souring on it

as for the person these accusations are supposed to benefit, turns out he's even more cozy with landlords than he lets on. as in, to the tune of almost double the amount of real estate donations from the nearest senate democrat

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

as for the person these accusations are supposed to benefit, turns out he's even more cozy with landlords than he lets on. as in, to the tune of almost double the amount of real estate donations from the nearest senate democrat

If he loses to a gentrifier, he can only blame himself! :v:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Passively saw about 10 min of 6 o'clock news and 4-5 minutes of it was Brindisi good, Tenney bad, Tenney good, Brindisi/Cuomo bad campaign ads

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i can't wait for this primary season to end

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
How have I missed the fact that Leecia Eve is a Verison exec!?

Edit: Cuomo bad

https://twitter.com/pareene/status/1038456187539415040

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 18:08 on Sep 8, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i knew nothing about leecia eve other than the fact that she's from buffalo, which is on the opposite side of the state as NYC

by the way, word on the street is that ross barkan is a major sexist. my friend went to see him with his girlfriend. ross acknowledged him, but not his girlfriend. somebody at the DSA endorsement meeting months ago said he struck her as not a feminist. i understand what she meant

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I wish she did support BDS but god, how gross https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1038531958014451712?s=21

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Benjamin Yee is not happy (thread):

https://twitter.com/yben/status/1038582683125915649

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i've met ben, he's good people and one of the 5% who voted against cuomo at the endorsement meeting
dunno what i hate more: this word used mostly by 4-year-olds as a catchall for "i don't like this" by lefties, or the use of AAVE by lefties to signal wokeness

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Uggghh Cuomo is such a piece of poo poo ugghhhh...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

dunno what i hate more: this word used mostly by 4-year-olds as a catchall for "i don't like this" by lefties, or the use of AAVE by lefties to signal wokeness

you ok? do you smell toast?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

i knew nothing about leecia eve other than the fact that she's from buffalo, which is on the opposite side of the state as NYC

She’s also political royalty up there - her dad was a bit of a legend in state government , and was in the assembly for some 40 years - and deputy speaker for most of those.

Honestly, she’s the candidate who surprised me the most in this AG race - I like her waaaaaay more than I expected to, and if it weren’t for the fact that any time her potential conflicts or the role of the AG in regulating telcos comes up she gets crazy squirrels and evasive, I’d Honestly consider voting for her. Maybe for a different role in the future.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tappanzee bridge drama:

Cuomo wants to dedicate the new bridge before the primary to get more exposure.

Problem: the old bridge is in danger of falling on the new bridge and the engineers wont let him open it. Even better, The state already sold the old bridge to a scrap contractor and has no control over it anymore to hurry the process along.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Sanders endorsed Teachout for AG, Williams for LGov, mum on Gov.

Kind of late in the game to endorse, isn't it?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

what does it matter, cuomo's up by 40 points because our state is terminally stupid. i know polls shouldn't be trusted so deeply but that's too much of a gap to think that he's going to do anything other than cruise

ffs he's not even trying to pretend this is a state race to him. at least cynthia's got the TI endorsement

https://twitter.com/Tip/status/1039201171968339969

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Sep 11, 2018

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Cuomo's strongest demographic is black New Yorkers and I'd love to read more about that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

should i make a separate thread for the thursday primaries?

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 16:42 on Sep 11, 2018

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

should i make a separate thread for the thursday primaries?

I think ideally discussion would take place here, but it might be nice to get a thread title change to mention the upcoming primary

Just my "two cents"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

I think ideally discussion would take place here, but it might be nice to get a thread title change to mention the upcoming primary

Just my "two cents"
that's a good idea too. probably gonna make a primary-focused post and link it in the OP

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zakharov posted:

Cuomo's strongest demographic is black New Yorkers and I'd love to read more about that.

Go with what you know. Politicians always gently caress you over, at least go with the one that hasn't explicitly gone out of their way to do so.

At least my two cents for Cuomo and Hillary in 2016, from my exp and ppl I know.

e: it's an extreme sense of cynicism, coupled with a completely justified fear of what politics might usher in.

Ofc not all black ppl are the same.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

:ducksiren: 2018 NY State Primaries Megapost :ducksiren:

New York had its federal primaries already. Our state primaries are held later in the year, presumably to reduce turnout. New York politics kinda sucks!

Statewide races:
  • Governor: Incumbent governor Andrew Cuomo is running for a third term. New York doesn't has gubernatorial term limits because, again, NY politics sucks. Cuomo is an rear end in a top hat and scared off everyone in elected office from running against him. His only challenger is actress Cynthia Nixon. Nixon likes to talk about how Cuomo is corrupt, as well as how he actively prevents progressive legislation like the New York Health Act because of his enabling of a group of super-corrupt Democrats called the IDC (more on that later!). For his part, Cuomo doesn't see Nixon as his chief rival in this race- he wants people to know he's running against his old eastern Queens buddy: Donald Trump. That's pretty obvious because that's been the topic of all of his campaign literature. Well, all his literature that doesn't accuse Nixon of being an anti-Semite. Cuomo is going to win easily, though (see the tweet with the poll below).
  • Attorney General: Former NYAG Eric Schneiderman was considered to be an up-and-comer in the state political scene, until an article in the New Yorker about how he abused women caused him to resign. Midterm openings happen a lot in New York. There's a four-way primary for this office. NYC Public Advocate and former City Councilwoman Leticia "Tish" James has the backing of the Cuomo machine because she told the Working Families Party to gently caress off instead of seeking their endorsement. Since then, she's been cozying up to Cuomo in an office that's better when it has more independence. Zephyr Teachout is a law professor at Fordham Law who wrote a book about money, corruption, and the American political system. She ran against Cuomo for governor four years ago and lost. She has the backing of the WFP and the New York Times. For some reason, Hudson Valley Congressman Sean Patrick Maloney decided to join the race, and seemingly has the backing of nobody except a decent amount of voters (see poll below). I don't know much about Leecia Eve except that she's based in Buffalo and is paid off by Verizon while being good on other things. Because of the closeness of the race, anything can happen here.
  • Lieutenant Governor: Nobody really cares about this office. It's currently held by former Western New York Congresswoman Kathy Hochul and she's running for re-election. NYC Councilmember Jumaane Williams saw an opening and is running as a primary challenger. Possibly because the race is so low-key, polling is tight.

https://twitter.com/TweetBenMax/status/1039117165503369217
While polls can be wrong, I don't think Nixon has a chance in hell at beating Cuomo. The Attorney General and Lieutenant Governor races seem more wide-open.

State Legislature Races

In my previous post laying out New York City and State politics, something very important happened. Through a deal reached by Gov. Cuomo, the main Democratic caucus of the State Senate and the rogue Independent Democratic Caucus (IDC) were reunited. However, they're still a seat short of the majority thanks to Simcha Felder (of the heavily Orthodox Jewish Brooklyn neighborhoods of Midwood and Borough Park, as well as much of Kensington and part of Bensonhurst) remaining in the Republican caucus.

What hasn't changed is anger against the now ex-IDC senators. All of them have challengers, each with a range of chances at knocking out incumbents.
  • SD-34: Jeff Klein is the former lead of the IDC and currently the deputy leader of the Senate Democrats. He represents much of the North Bronx and part of Westchester County, including a small sliver that connects the eastern part of the district with Riverdale and Kingsbridge in the west. His challenger is former Hillary Clinton campaign staffer Alessandra Biaggi, who seems like a decent candidate in spite of that past affiliation. In addition to having the endorsement of WFP and several other progressive Democratic groups, she's endorsed by the powerful 32BJ union. There's a good chance at the incumbent losing here.
  • SD-31: Marisol Alcantara represents the Upper Manhattan neighborhoods of Inwood and Washington Heights, as well as the western parts of Harlem, Morningside Heights, the Upper West Side, and Hell's Kitchen. Right after winning the general election, she announced she'd join the IDC, which gave money to her campaign. She was the winner of a three-way primary with former Harlem City Councilman Robert Jackson and Micah Lasher. Jackson decided to run again, and he has the endorsement of the WFP and multiple members of State Assembly and Congress. I think there's a good chance of Alcantara losing as well.
  • SD-13: Jose Peralta was the last mainline Democrat to secede to the IDC. He represents the diverse Queens neighborhoods of Jackson Heights, East Elmhurst, and Corona, as well as parts of Astoria, Elmhurst, and Woodside. Peralta has three other challengers, but the most serious one is Jackson Heights community activist Jessica Ramos. She has the endorsement of Bill de Blasio and the New York Times, as well as Nixon, Williams, and various progressive Dem groups. Mark another chance for an incumbent being defeated here.
  • SD-20: Jesse Hamilton is a piece of poo poo who represents the Central Brooklyn districts of Prospect Heights, Prospect Leffert Gardens, East Flatbush, Crown Heights, and Brownsville. He defected to the IDC two days before the 2016 election because he's a piece of poo poo. Even though he rejoined the main Dem caucus, he's still a piece of poo poo who is being challenged by Lefferts Gardens attorney Zellnor Myrie, who has the endorsements of the Times, the Daily News, the WFP, Bill de Blasio, and various Congressmembers and Assemblymembers in parts of SD-20. Hamilton, that piece of poo poo, used a local community organization to smear Myrie- accusing him of not being from Brooklyn (he was born and raised here by parents from Costa Rica), not passing the bar exam (he passed before he even graduated law school), and being the preferred candidate for white people (LOL). I really want Jesse to lose pleaaaaaase
  • SD-53: Original IDC member Dave Valesky represents parts of Syracuse and counties to its east. Syracuse community activist Rachel May is challenging him. I don't know much about this race, but May has the endorsements of the WFP and several other Dem groups. I have no idea about her chances.
  • SD-11: Tony Avella was the first person to join the IDC outside of the original four. He represents a goddamn mess of a district in northeastern Queens, including parts of Flushing, Fresh Meadows, and Jamaica. Former city comptroller and mayoral candidate John Liu is challenging Avella to a rematch after being inspired by Ocasio-Cortez's victory and getting on the ballot very quickly. I'm not familiar with this part of NYC but I want to say he has a chance?
  • Former IDC members Diane Savino (northern Staten Island as well as Coney Island and Brighton Beach in Brooklyn) and David Carlucci (Rockland and Westchester Counties) also have challengers, but I doubt they're gonna lose.

Bonus State Senate races not involved with the IDC:
  • SD-18: This seat encompasses the gentrifying (and, in some cases, already gentrified and Manhattanized) north Brooklyn neighborhoods of Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Bushwick, and Cypress Hills. Since the early 2000s, the seat has been held by Martin Dilan, who looks like a ghoul and takes more money from real estate interests than everyone in the Senate but Klein, gets 70% of contributions from private interests in total, and voted for vacancy decontrol when he was in the City Council. His challenger is Julia Salazar, a community activist who has the endorsement of NYC DSA, Nixon, Williams, Teachout, the WFP, and other groups. There are also allegations that question her Jewishness, immigrant status, and class status. Regardless of how much are true and how much is false, Dilan is corrupt and I don't doubt Julia's politics.
  • SD-17: As I mentioned earlier in the post, Simcha Felder represents this heavily Orthodox Jewish district in the south Brooklyn neighborhoods of Borough Park, Midwood, Kensington, and parts of Ditmas Park and Bensonhurst. There are also sizable Caribbean, Russian, Hispanic, and South Asian populations. Ditmas Park attorney Blake Morris is running an uphill campaign. He says he's made inroads to the Orthodox community, but much of them will probably be voting for Felder.
  • SD-22: This seat is actually held by Republican Marty Golden, and it encompasses the south Brooklyn neighborhoods of Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst, Gravesend, Manhattan Beach, Marine Park, and parts of Sheepshead Bay. There are two people running in the Democratic primary: Andrew Gounardes, who previously ran against Golden in 2012 and has the endorsement of various Democratic clubs, and Ross Barkan, a journalist who has the endorsement of the Daily News. Gounardes is fairly progressive (he supports NYHA and publicly funded state elections) but also too close to the party machine for my liking. IMO Barkan lacks charisma, but he's talked about more issues, like commercial rent control. I think Gounardes will win, but it might be close.
Nobody cares about the State Assembly because it's always reliably Democratic, but Nicole Malliatokis will be getting a Democrat (Adam Baumel) to face in the general. He probably won't win, though.

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 01:25 on Sep 12, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

gently caress at the Hochul number, she's as worthless as a D candidate can get.

Not happy about teachout either at 18.

e: Maloney is a weaponized tool of the real estate lobby.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Maloney is horrific

I might vote Tish James just to keep him out.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shageletic posted:

gently caress at the Hochul number, she's as worthless as a D candidate can get.

Not happy about teachout either at 18.

e: Maloney is a weaponized tool of the real estate lobby.
this state is stupid as hell

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

lmao at teachout being at 18

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
actually a decent, balanced profile tbh https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1039559989113901056

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

CaptainPsyko posted:

She’s also political royalty up there - her dad was a bit of a legend in state government , and was in the assembly for some 40 years - and deputy speaker for most of those.

Honestly, she’s the candidate who surprised me the most in this AG race - I like her waaaaaay more than I expected to, and if it weren’t for the fact that any time her potential conflicts or the role of the AG in regulating telcos comes up she gets crazy squirrels and evasive, I’d Honestly consider voting for her. Maybe for a different role in the future.

shes a verizon exec and will gladly let them gently caress the state

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Added profiles on the races against Jeff Klein and Marisol Alcantara.
god bless Nick Rizzo, he's been wanting Dilan gone since before he became district leader. i still hope Julia wins aside from the all the things about her life that have been coming out

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm going straight line Nixon, Teachout, Williams, but if that means one of these corporate motherfuckers get in instead, gently caress

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I’m surprised that Teachout is polling so low. I wouldn’t say I’ve been following the race super closely but I thought she was the acknowledged frontrunner.

Shageletic posted:

I'm going straight line Nixon, Teachout, Williams, but if that means one of these corporate motherfuckers get in instead, gently caress

:yossame:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Added the remaining NY Senate profiles.

Bold Robot posted:

I’m surprised that Teachout is polling so low. I wouldn’t say I’ve been following the race super closely but I thought she was the acknowledged frontrunner.
I think the Times endorsement will get a lot of votes, but I also think Tish James is going to get a lot of the black vote.

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Sep 11, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

he's right
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1039547269069062144

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Thanks for putting this together. Very helpful, concise, and informative.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

:ducksiren: 2018 NY State Primaries Megapost :ducksiren:

New York had its federal primaries already. Our state primaries are held later in the year, presumably to reduce turnout. New York politics kinda sucks!

Statewide races:
  • Governor: Incumbent governor Andrew Cuomo is running for a third term. New York doesn't has gubernatorial term limits because, again, NY politics sucks. Cuomo is an rear end in a top hat and scared off everyone in elected office from running against him. His only challenger is actress Cynthia Nixon. Nixon likes to talk about how Cuomo is corrupt, as well as how he actively prevents progressive legislation like the New York Health Act because of his enabling of a group of right-wing Democrats called the IDC (more on that later!). For his part, Cuomo doesn't see Nixon as his chief rival in this race- he wants people to know he's running against his old eastern Queens buddy: Donald Trump. That's pretty obvious because that's been the topic of all of his campaign literature. Well, all his literature that doesn't accuse Nixon of being an anti-Semite. Cuomo is going to win easily, though (see the tweet with the poll below).
  • Attorney General: Former NYAG Eric Schneiderman was considered to be an up-and-comer in the state political scene, until an article in the New Yorker about how he abused women caused him to resign. Midterm openings happen a lot in New York. There's a four-way primary for this office. NYC Public Advocate and former City Councilwoman Leticia "Tish" James has the backing of the Cuomo machine because she told the Working Families Party to gently caress off instead of seeking their endorsement. Since then, she's been cozying up to Cuomo in an office that's better when it has more independence. Zephyr Teachout is a law professor at Fordham Law who wrote a book about money, corruption, and the American political system. She ran against Cuomo for governor four years ago and lost. She has the backing of the WFP and the New York Times. For some reason, Hudson Valley Congressman Sean Patrick Maloney decided to join the race, and seemingly has the backing of nobody except a decent amount of voters (see poll below). I don't know much about Leecia Eve except that she's based in Buffalo and is paid off by Verizon while being good on other things. Because of the closeness of the race, anything can happen here.
  • Lieutenant Governor: Nobody really cares about this office. It's currently held by former Western New York Congresswoman Kathy Hochul and she's running for re-election. NYC Councilmember Jumaane Williams saw an opening and is running as a primary challenger. Possibly because the race is so low-key, polling is tight.

https://twitter.com/TweetBenMax/status/1039117165503369217
While polls can be wrong, I don't think Nixon has a chance in hell at beating Cuomo. The Attorney General and Lieutenant Governor races seem more wide-open.

State Legislature Races

In my previous post laying out New York City and State politics, something very important happened. Through a deal reached by Gov. Cuomo, the main Democratic caucus of the State Senate and the rogue Independent Democratic Caucus (IDC) were reunited. However, they're still a seat short of the majority thanks to Simcha Felder (of the heavily Orthodox Jewish Brooklyn neighborhoods of Midwood and Borough Park, as well as much of Kensington and part of Bensonhurst) remaining in the Republican caucus.

What hasn't changed is anger against the now ex-IDC senators. All of them have challengers, each with a range of chances at knocking out incumbents.
  • SD-34: Jeff Klein is the former lead of the IDC and currently the deputy leader of the Senate Democrats. He represents much of the North Bronx and part of Westchester County, including a small sliver that connects the eastern part of the district with Riverdale and Kingsbridge in the west. His challenger is former Hillary Clinton campaign staffer Alessandra Biaggi, who seems like a decent candidate in spite of that past affiliation. In addition to having the endorsement of WFP and several other progressive Democratic group, she's endorsed by the powerful 32BJ union. There's a good chance at the incumbent losing here.
  • SD-31: Marisol Alcantara represents the Upper Manhattan neighborhoods of Inwood and Washington Heights, as well as the western parts of Harlem, Morningside Heights, the Upper West Side, and Hell's Kitchen. Right after winning the general election, she announced she'd join the IDC, which gave money to her campaign. She was the winner of a three-way primary with former Harlem City Councilman Robert Jackson and Micah Lasher. Jackson decided to run again, and he has the endorsement of the WFP and multiple members of State Assembly and Congress. I think there's a good chance of Alcantara losing as well.
  • SD-13: Jose Peralta was the last mainline Democrat to secede to the IDC. He represents the diverse Queens neighborhoods of Jackson Heights, East Elmhurst, and Corona, as well as parts of Astoria, Elmhurst, and Woodside. Peralta has three other challengers, but the most serious one is Jackson Heights community activist Jessica Ramos. She has the endorsement of Bill de Blasio and the New York Times, as well as Nixon, Williams, and various progressive Dem groups. Mark another chance for an incumbent being defeated here.
  • SD-20: Jesse Hamilton is a piece of poo poo who represents the Central Brooklyn districts of Prospect Heights, Prospect Leffert Gardens, East Flatbush, Crown Heights, and Brownsville. He defected to the IDC two days before the 2016 election because he's a piece of poo poo. Even though he rejoined the main Dem caucus, he's still a piece of poo poo who is being challenged by Lefferts Gardens attorney Zellnor Myrie, who has the endorsements of the Times, the Daily News, the WFP, Bill de Blasio, and various Congressmembers and Assemblymembers in parts of SD-20. Hamilton, that piece of poo poo, used a local community organization to smear Myrie- accusing him of not being from Brooklyn (he was born and raised here by parents from Costa Rica), not passing the bar exam (he passed before he even graduated law school), and being the preferred candidate for white people (LOL). I really want Jesse to lose pleaaaaaase
  • SD-53: Original IDC member Dave Valesky represents parts of Syracuse and counties to its east. Syracuse community activist Rachel May is challenging him. I don't know much about this race, but May has the endorsements of the WFP and several other Dem groups. I have no idea about her chances.
  • SD-11: Tony Avella was the first person to join the IDC outside of the original four. He represents a goddamn mess of a district in northeastern Queens, including parts of Flushing, Fresh Meadows, and Jamaica.. Former city comptroller and mayoral candidate John Liu is challenging Avella to a rematch after being inspired by Ocasio-Cortez's victory and getting on the ballot very quickly. I'm not familiar with this part of NYC but I want to say he has a chance?
  • Former IDC members Diane Savino (northern Staten Island as well as Coney Island and Brighton Beach in Brooklyn) and David Carlucci (Rockland and Westchester Counties) also have challengers, but I doubt they're gonna lose.

Bonus State Senate races not involved with the IDC:
  • SD-18: This seat encompasses the gentrifying (and, in some cases, already gentrified and Manhattanized) north Brooklyn neighborhoods of Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Bushwick, and Cypress Hills. Since the early 2000s, the seat has been held by Martin Dilan, who looks like a ghoul and takes more money from real estate interests than everyone in the Senate but Klein, gets 70% of contributions from private interests in total, and voted for vacancy decontrol when he was in the City Council. His challenger is Julia Salazar, a community activist who has the endorsement of NYC DSA, Nixon, Williams, Teachout, the WFP, and other groups. There are also allegations that question her Jewishness, immigrant status, and class status. Regardless of how much are true and how much is false, Dilan is corrupt and I don't doubt Julia's politics.
  • SD-17: Simcha Felder represents this heavily Orthodox Jewish district in the south Brooklyn neighborhoods of Borough Park, Midwood, Kensington, and parts of Ditmas Park and Bensonhurst. There are also sizable Caribbean, Russian, Hispanic, and South Asian populations. Ditmas Park attorney Blake Morris is running an uphill campaign. He says he's made inroads to the Orthodox community, but much of them will probably be voting for Felder.
  • SD-22: This seat is actually held by Republican Marty Golden, and it encompasses the south Brooklyn neighborhoods of Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst, Gravesend, Manhattan Beach, Marine Park, and parts of Sheepshead Bay. There are two people running in the Democratic primary: Andrew Gounardes, who previously ran against Golden in 2012 and has the endorsement of various Democratic clubs, and Ross Barkan, a journalist who has the endorsement of the Daily News. Gounardes is fairly progressive (he supports NYHA and publicly funded state elections) but also too close to the party machine for my liking. IMO Barkan lacks charisma, but he's talked about more issues, like commercial rent control. I think Gounardes will win, but it might be close.
Nobody cares about the State Assembly because it's always reliably Democratic, but Nicole Malliatokis will be getting a Democrat (Adam Baumel) to face in the general. He probably won't win, though.

hekl yeah thanks for this update

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The Salazar poo poo from today is really gross

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
My district is so boring. Everyone's kind of fine and there are never any exciting primaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lawman 0 posted:

The Salazar poo poo from today is really gross

Mao was right