Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Saints Row 4 was developed from a planned SR3 DLC that was different from how the game ended up, but had the basic ideas of aliens, the Matrix environment and superpowers.

And yeah both SR3 and 4 are quite obviously stitched together from bits and pieces and it's a miracle they turned out halfway coherent. The engine is vastly improved, the toys you get are better, but the actual writing never got as good as SR2 again.

Don't forget the planned DLC also would've been chockablock with tedious sex jokes.

The president angle was weird since the marketing laid into it in a big way and then it's basically inconsequential past the intro, a few jokes with Keith David aside.

While I'm complaining, it's also frustrating and odd that 3 and 4 have intro missions where you're forced to play a generic masked but obviously male boss instead of allowing you to play as whoever you want from the word go.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Sep 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!

John Murdoch posted:

While I'm complaining, it's also frustrating and odd that 3 and 4 have intro missions where you're forced to play a generic masked but obviously male boss instead of allowing you to play as whoever you want from the word go.

I can understand that, because it gives you an opportunity to get right into the action without first getting a bunch of exposition, scene-setting or character customization. That's useful for PC players who might have to fine-tune some settings in action first (I've hit a bunch of examples of this where you only get to feel out the graphics settings after some important early cutscene I'm not paying attention to because of it), but it also lets you get into the swing of things gameplay-wise before the plot starts, which is a huge thing.

You don't notice how integral having a scene like that can be until you hit a game that needs it but doesn't have it. Final Fantasy XV was interminable for how much scene-setting it wanted you to sit through before giving you actual gameplay or in-game access to settings.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In Spider-Man if you choose the Spider-Punk costume it has little Spidey faces on his Chucks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I get why it makes some sense, but it's a bad fit for a game where a big part of the appeal was always the ability to customize the protagonist. I never thought SR2 was poorer for it instead of having you break out of prison while still bandaged up, but even still a quick gender choice would've at least sat a bit better with me than not addressing it at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

More games need unnecesary emote buttons - Oddworld's farting, Transistor's humming, all the dark souls bullshit. I love all of it.

Okami's barking!

Which becomes a pee button in combat with the right upgrade.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
BTW On Yakuza Kiwami - does it allow you to heal during the rail shooter section on the highway, because that was the only reason I never beat the original - the menu button just brings up the controls and you have to do the whole terrible thing with one healthbar.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Red dead redemption was funny

And when he was in Mexico he tried and failed to speak spanish to the locals.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

More games need unnecesary emote buttons - Oddworld's farting, Transistor's humming, all the dark souls bullshit. I love all of it.

In Earthbound there's a dedicated button to ringing a bicycle bell (most people will not ride a bicycle)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

In Conker's BFD, one of his idle animations was to pull out an old Game Boy and play something. He'd get frustrated and say, "Gumble fumble!" which IMO is an excellent swear.

I also laughed more than a young adult should have at the Poo bgm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUCr8A4UvIM

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

BioEnchanted posted:

BTW On Yakuza Kiwami - does it allow you to heal during the rail shooter section on the highway, because that was the only reason I never beat the original - the menu button just brings up the controls and you have to do the whole terrible thing with one healthbar.

The game gives you the option to lower the difficulty setting if you die enough times during the highway section.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One of the unlockable costumes in Marvel Spider-Man is old-school Spider-Man... literally.

This seriously has rocketed to the list of my favorite costumes in a game ever, it looks amazing for what it is.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 11:33 on Sep 9, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

doctorfrog posted:

In Conker's BFD, one of his idle animations was to pull out an old Game Boy and play something. He'd get frustrated and say, "Gumble fumble!" which IMO is an excellent swear.

I also laughed more than a young adult should have at the Poo bgm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUCr8A4UvIM

iirc, he's playing the gameboy version of Killer Instinct.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iirc, he's playing the gameboy version of Killer Instinct.

It does sound like a version of Sabrewulf's theme, except with a way better sound-chip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOgQK8JtHns

Here is the version they composed for the modern Killer Instinct:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4gPGsJc5H4

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:46 on Sep 9, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cleretic posted:

I went from not caring about the new Spider-Man, to wishing I had a PS4 to play it on, the moment I saw a gif making the rounds on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1037904307197300736

I was watching someone play it earlier and they fluffed a webshot and ended up falling onto the sidewalk and Spidey was all, "Sorry, sorry. Oh, my bad!" to everyone.

Such a simple, great moment that felt really true to the character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

And when he was in Mexico he tried and failed to speak spanish to the locals.

Now I'm picturing Peggy Hill as the protagonist of a Read Dead game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

I can understand that, because it gives you an opportunity to get right into the action without first getting a bunch of exposition, scene-setting or character customization. That's useful for PC players who might have to fine-tune some settings in action first (I've hit a bunch of examples of this where you only get to feel out the graphics settings after some important early cutscene I'm not paying attention to because of it), but it also lets you get into the swing of things gameplay-wise before the plot starts, which is a huge thing.

It's also that way so you can play the intro mission while the rest of the game is installing on the console versions. Those missions have to keep the assets down to allow that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SR3 did something similar with the Gat mascot costumes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The first hour of any PC game experience is dedicated to adjusting settings and running the benchmark, so those assets should always be the first to load.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It doesn't help that in SR3's intro mission the boss is clearly voiced by Troy Baker. SR2 was best about it by jumping straight to the character creator, SR4 did okay by having the boss be mute.

They shoulda just have Daniel Dae Kim do everyone in that intro, in slightly different voices.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

One of the unlockable costumes in Marvel Spider-Man is old-school Spider-Man... literally.

This seriously has rocketed to the list of my favorite costumes in a game ever, it looks amazing for what it is.

Welp, definitely gonna buy this when I get paid on Friday.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I had to see this in motion and it's pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhMx2Plc3N8&t=1312s

:allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's also an in-game twitter which is amazingly accurate.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There are also people in the twitter making note of you constantly switching costumes too. One was asking if Spider-man had acolytes or a gang or something because they see a dude swinging around on webs but it doesn't look like him...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Saints Row 4 was developed from a planned SR3 DLC that was different from how the game ended up, but had the basic ideas of aliens, the Matrix environment and superpowers.

And yeah both SR3 and 4 are quite obviously stitched together from bits and pieces and it's a miracle they turned out halfway coherent. The engine is vastly improved, the toys you get are better, but the actual writing never got as good as SR2 again.

Counterpoint, SR 2 doesn't have anything as good as "Girls Night Out". I legit think SR4's comedy writing is top notch, because they move beyond the edgy wackiness of SR3 to really being focused on character dynamics. Even the minor characters get cool bits- Jane Valdarama hosting the EDM station is a cute gag, and the MOM announcers are wonderful.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Just picked up Spider-Man, and while I haven't even started the game yet the game's difficulty levels are "Friendly," "Amazing," and "Spectacular."

This game's branding is just on point.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

It doesn't help that in SR3's intro mission the boss is clearly voiced by Troy Baker. SR2 was best about it by jumping straight to the character creator, SR4 did okay by having the boss be mute.

They shoulda just have Daniel Dae Kim do everyone in that intro, in slightly different voices.

Just use Robin Atkin Downes, because why would you want any other voice for the Boss? Unless you get Lori Alan.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Lord Lambeth posted:

I had to see this in motion and it's pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhMx2Plc3N8&t=1312s

:allears:

Sooooo cool.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Just use Robin Atkin Downes, because why would you want any other voice for the Boss? Unless you get Lori Alan.

The Latina boss voice was the best until they got rid of it in 4

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I liked the zombie voice more than most, I suspect.

What I really want is a robot voice but it is obviously a person pretending to be a robot.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I want to agree, but Laura Bailey is the best voice actress of all time.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I picked the British voice in every single one I played

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Screaming Idiot posted:

I want to agree, but Laura Bailey is the best voice actress of all time.

I hate to say "I agree with a poster named Screaming Idiot," but I'm saying it. Laura Bailey is the Best Boss.

The pc in the first game was just a Playa, not the Boss, so he doesn't count.

edit: nope, sorry, just looked it up. Katie Semine (Female Voice 1 in SR2) is the Best Boss. Laura Bailey is a close second. Then the English guy in 3 (Robin Atkin Downes) 2 (Charles Shaughnessy).

Also, they used the same guy for "African-American Male" in 2, The Third, and IV (Kenn Michael), so good on him for being the only consistent protagonist voice throughout those 3 games.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Sep 10, 2018

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I love that they got Kevin Sorbo to voice Hercules in GoWIII. Like, Sorbo may be a regressive chud jerkoff, but that the show Hercules was fun and goofy, and it was a fun wink to have him reprise his role in GoWIII.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I was a black woman in most of them with all the sliders maxed out and the cockney, because why not use the options you have?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Cleretic posted:

Finally, after all these years of people trying to make Spider-Man games, somebody thinks to make one where you get to perform the most important scene in any Spider-Man media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ron-Ikenfc

Toby is so bad who greenlit that doofus

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I was a black woman in most of them with all the sliders maxed out and the cockney, because why not use the options you have?

Tired: Use the sliders to make a realistic and cool looking character
Wired: Max out every slider
Inspired: Alternate between minimizing and maximizing every other slider.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ariong posted:

Tired: Use the sliders to make a realistic and cool looking character
Wired: Max out every slider
Inspired: Alternate between minimizing and maximizing every other slider.

Then make your skin neon blue and run around naked with the electric blue dildo bat.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I told you not to tell people what I do on the weekend.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

The fact that Charles Shaughnessy is a no-poo poo actual literal baron makes his voice option in SR2 that much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cythereal posted:

Then make your skin neon blue and run around naked with the electric blue dildo bat.

Friend of mine has a screenshot of Morgan Freeman and Hulk going on a rampage in a golf cart