Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

There's a show being made! And comics!

oh i mustve forgotten about a show being made

i dunno what the gently caress is up with the comics though, there's been like two issues in the last year

Wheat Loaf posted:

The most disappointing thing about JW2 is that, in the scene at the end where he's running through the park and everyone is getting updates on their phones about the price on his head because everyone is actually an assassin, there wasn't a shot of the baby in that pram getting its phone out and then glancing at the audience.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

i dunno what the gently caress is up with the comics though, there's been like two issues in the last year

Sounds like they need to start burning the candle at both ends.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

The most disappointing thing about JW2 is that, in the scene at the end where he's running through the park and everyone is getting updates on their phones about the price on his head because everyone is actually an assassin, there wasn't a shot of the baby in that pram getting its phone out and then glancing at the audience.

I thought that was more of John Wick being paranoid. Are they just checking their phones and looking at the guy running like a loon? Or are they assassins getting the hit order?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, like two minutes prior everyone in the park was shown to be assassins, so im assuming at least some of the people getting phone calls were as well. plus the guy who works for morpheus was there

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The silencer fight in the subway owned so hard. JW2 rules.

Also a cabal of hobo assassins / spies led by Morpheus.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the concert and museum shootouts in 2 were better than the club scene in 1 sorry not sorry

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

site posted:

i mean, like two minutes prior everyone in the park was shown to be assassins, so im assuming at least some of the people getting phone calls were as well. plus the guy who works for morpheus was there

He definitely is. But I took from the camera showing his point of view looking at everyone, and him running in a panic, it was the film showing his paranoia (justified or not) and the need for him to get out of NYC before the bounty kicks in.

I wasn't a fan too much of the concert shootout once he goes into the catacombs. I know they showed him placing the guns in the tunnels, but it made it hard to tell where he was and where the baddies were, and where his exit was. (It gets better once he's out and has to fight the other agent when it's on the street and the action is easier to follow.). Same for the mirror maze obviously. In JW1 it was much easier to track what he was doing, where he was going, and where the people against him were in relation to Wick.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my problem with the club fight in 1 and the outside concert fight in 2 are that in spots wick just knows where guys are gonna run out of before they do and pops off on em, and not in like a hes hiding and waiting for them way, he just turns around a second before a guy comes though and unloads like hes psychic

my problem with the catacombs fight is that there are spots where the camera angle is hiding the fact that guys would clearly see him before they show up on screen but arent shooting him so he can do cool reload/shoot/switch weapons/shoot stuff

but they're still fun as hell to watch

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah but that's because Ian McShane's character had specifically filled with the park with assassins for his little power move to John earlier.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Blank Panther and Infinity War make a billion dollars each.

"UGH everyone is SO DONE with the MCU!"

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
:corsair: I waited two and a half hours to download the trailer for Alien Resurrection, screaming at my parents to stay off the phone.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

2 billion for IW.Whenever I think back on that movie, I smile. I was so drat good.

There's like 3 marvel movies a year, It's not like there's a new one showing up every month.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ant Man and The Wasp didn't make a billion so obviously that's the one that sunk Marvel

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Retro Futurist posted:

Ant Man and The Wasp didn't make a billion so obviously that's the one that sunk Marvel

Don't be silly, this isn't Lucasfilm we're talking about.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It still made a little bit more than the first one. It made like a hundred million more, but it cost like 30 million more to make, so it made a bit more. Even loving Ant Man continues their streak of increasingly more profitable sequels.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'll be done with the mcu when the mcu is done

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I thought the bulletproof suit was dumb. And he shrugged off injuries that nearly killed him in the first one.

If you have a spare ten grand or so laying around you can actually go out and buy one of those bulletproof suits.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I can't recall the last time I saw a Marvel film at the cinema, probably Civil War? Still not seen BP or IW, and the last Netflix one I saw was The Punisher, after skipping Iron Fist and the Defenders entirely.

Dunno, I'm just not fussed about superhero stuff at the moment, I'd much rather watch spy and horror flicks instead.

duck trucker posted:

Just have nothing happen to his eye the whole movie then end with a post-credit sequence of Fury at the eye doctor.

Fury is complaining about his eye hurting after getting shampoo in his eye and the last shot is the doctor going "hmm that's not good."

It'll turn out to be an I'm Gonna Git You Sucka reference and all his medals and awards will be from his time in the typing pool, with his eye being the result of a rubber band-paper clip fight.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O03UXhh42SE

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

To be fair, there is a sort of blockbuster curve. Justice League made over $600,000,000 dollars, but there was a clear tepid response.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be fair, there is a sort of blockbuster curve. Justice League made over $600,000,000 dollars, but there was a clear tepid response.

There was a lot of "This has to be good right!???" around JL I found.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think even Solo - a very similar movie in some respects - had better reviews than Justice League.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

From the people who actually saw it, Solo is a better movie than Justice League. But no one cared about the adventures of young Han Solo starring Some Guy.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 9, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, solo is pretty fun and is sorta like Ant Man in that it's a low stakes adventure.

And for the record I like JL to a point. Like if probsbly toss it in an Amazon order if it was 10bux and get me to free shipping.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 9, 2018

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed Solo, but I just kind of ignored any connection it had to any other films or properties. It stands on its own much better than it stands as part of a greater Star Wars Canon.

I did not enjoy Justice League.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Solo was a good enough film, nothing terrible and nothing amazing.

I think the release date killed it. Probably would have done much better if they had released it at the end of the year like they did for the last three Star Wars films.

Never saw Justice League, so no opinion on that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Timeless Appeal posted:

Worldwide.

Black Panther and Infinity war both beat its overall domestic take in a weekend, which, when you consider how DC has been trying to get that Avengers money the whole time, is kinda hilarious.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I saw Justice League with my girlfriend at 7 and then went to go see Thor: Ragnarok at 10 on the same night.

This may be a controversial opinion, but Thor was the better movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wasn't comparing JL and Solo in terms of quality (I can't do that because I still haven't seen JL) but I think they have similarities in that they were important movies for their respective studios, had a lot of very public production difficulties including the replacement of the directors then underperformed most expectations when they came out and received mixed notices at best.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Solo was aggressively bland for the most part. I have no interest in seeing JL. The trailers did not help.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Solo was aggressively bland for the most part. I have no interest in seeing JL. The trailers did not help.

I started watching JL on HBO but turned it off. It was terrible.

I’ve watched some pretty bad movies, but JL was slow, ugly, and... well, just BAD.

Like, I managed to finish Suicide Squad. Could not do that with JL.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Justice League is weird because it obviously doesn’t work as a standalone movie, and yet it’s exponentially worse when taken as part of the DC film series. It’s such a jarring tonal shift, and the characters are functionally entirely different people. It’s a drastic, discordant course correction that never had any chance of being any good.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Worldwide.

Black Panther and Infinity war both beat its overall domestic take in a weekend, which, when you consider how DC has been trying to get that Avengers money the whole time, is kinda hilarious.
The overall point is that superhero movies just tend to make a lot of money as a baseline.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timeless Appeal posted:

The overall point is that superhero movies just tend to make a lot of money as a baseline.

Unless you're a DC film.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Solo was better than JL but I wouldn’t go out of my way to see either.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
JL was extremely awful

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Controversial opinion time.

I think Justice League had what should have been bad buzz (after all the other DC films) somewhat turned around by how Wonder Woman had a huge positive set of reviews, which raised what would have otherwise been incredibly low expectations.

Solo was the opposite. In that it should have had huge buzz (it being a Star Wars movie) but that a lot of that was taken away by the backlash from The Last Jedi. I expect Episode 9 will get a bit of a bounce back as Solo absorbed the brunt of the Last Jedi hate.

Sort of like how right wing governments always take credit for the economy soaring under them, when in reality the work was done by previous left wing governments.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm not sure Last Jedi hate was what sank Solo. I'm sure it was part of it, but I think the fact that the shoot was widely publicized to be incredibly troubled and have reshoots, acting coaches, new directors, etc. combined with the fact that it stars a nobody and tells a story no one was really asking for and that definitely won't have Jedi in it, combined with coming out way too soon after another Star Wars film that it's not related to at all... it made people not give a poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The actor who played Han couldn't even get his line "would that it were so simple" out. They had to change it to "it's complicated"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

Solo was the opposite. In that it should have had huge buzz (it being a Star Wars movie) but that a lot of that was taken away by the backlash from The Last Jedi. I expect Episode 9 will get a bit of a bounce back as Solo absorbed the brunt of the Last Jedi hate.

Solo also had an added disadvantage of coming out a fortnight after Infinity War and a week after Deadpool when both of them still had a full head of steam. Marvel is bigger than Star Wars at this point, so Solo was always going to lose out.

Of course I fully expect Episode IX will drastically underperform both Force Awakens and Last Jedi, partly because I am stubborn.

• Locked thread