Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

So, speculation time: what's the DLC going to be? I really have no clue other than "something economic".

Whatever it is, if it allows me to play as a nomadic fleet, then I'll buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really hope it's something that adds a bunch more planet development types, such as the urban planet shown in one of the first teasers.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
my guess for the DLC:

-trade visualization (trade routes in base game but invisible)
-graphics for planet types (like agri-world or ecumenopolis)
-Blockades & other aspects of economic warfare

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

They've been widely criticized with how they approached putting nearly-mandatory gameplay changes into DLC. So I think they are being careful to make sure the vanilla game still hangs together and benefits from the updates they make, since people arn't going to buy DLC if they don't like the base game.

Yeah they definitely had plenty of missteps along the way. And maybe this is just for Stellaris, I dunno. I guess we'll see once Imperator is out and expansions start being announced.

GunnerJ posted:

So, speculation time: what's the DLC going to be? I really have no clue other than "something economic".

I hope that it's a ton of fun planet/empire stuff. Maybe also more trade options.

I also hope that with trade now being kind of an in-world thing this is the first patch/DLC they do that adds some life to your systems. I'd pay $20 just for that done well.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

GunnerJ posted:

I think it is pretty certain they will try to leverage the new functionality they are building. I agree with Splicer that it can include a bunch of unique buildings, deposits, maybe unique ship components etc but I wouldn't count on a new ascension path. It seems more likely to me that considering what the new system offers, they would try to bring in some totally new government form or just a different play-style. Thinking how the hive minds play on the empire and planet level compared to the base races under the new system show how much room for variation there is.

Edit: On second thought - an ascension path 'Who owns most when he dies, wins' which grants economy related bonuses and allows market manipulation seems quite cool and possible. With a possible additional new 'win condition' of having the largest economy by whatever arbitrary standard

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 9, 2018

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

my guess for the DLC:

I think blockades and economic warfare stuff might make a decent 'Big DLC'. Would be cool too but I am just afraid it would require too many diplomacy changes? They seem to stay clear of modifying that too much for now?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SirTagz posted:

I think it is pretty certain they will try to leverage the new functionality they are building. I agree with Splicer that it can include a bunch of unique buildings, deposits, maybe unique ship components etc but I wouldn't count on a new ascension path. It seems more likely to me that considering what the new system offers, they would try to bring in some totally new government form or just a different play-style. Like the hive minds are compared to the base races. Or maybe Silicoids who totally ignore food and would therefore play differently from other races?
An Aquatic Habitability option would be pretty cool, and would fit well with the pop management remake.

I've been thinking more about barren world colonies and other extremophile stuff and I think the new planet system could be leveraged to make it viable if it weren't for invasions. They could introduce extremophile habitabilities and let you start as them and gate extreme planet class extreme switching behind late-game techs or as an ascension, but you'd need some way in war to deal with populated enemy planets that your armies literally can not live on.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SirTagz posted:

The next patch looks really amazing but I am wondering how they are going to pay for the development. Because most of the amazing stuff we have seen has to be in the free patch.. and it looks like a ton of work. They appear to be rewriting half the code.

I know I will be buying the expansion, whatever it is and whatever it costs on day one but I am sure lots of people wont. Perhaps they dont even plan to come out even with this patch and just consider it as groundwork for future expansions?

it's not as if it costs extra money besides the existing dev and artist salaries that are already baked into their plans

eu4 just released an expansion, rome will be coming out - paradox as a whole doesn't really have any reason to worry about cash flow and so if stellaris's sales ebb temporarily because there was an extra month of work compared to a less ambitious patch/expansion, i doubt anybody particularly cares considering the game will come out the other side in a much better state

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

An Aquatic Habitability option would be pretty cool, and would fit well with the pop management remake.

I've been thinking more about barren world colonies and other extremophile stuff and I think the new planet system could be leveraged to make it viable if it weren't for invasions. They could introduce extremophile habitabilities and let you start as them and gate extreme planet class extreme switching behind late-game techs or as an ascension, but you'd need some way in war to deal with populated enemy planets that your armies literally can not live on.

Just give biological pops with the wrong (extreme) habitability type a malus to combat strength and increased maintenance costs to account for having to wear environment suits just to be on the planet. You could potentially have early to mid game techs to mitigate this.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

GunnerJ posted:

No guarantee on economic, really; Cherryh was the territory claiming and starbase update, and Apocalypse was planet killers and marauders. Going by precedent it will be something that's bolted on to the base game (so that you can continue to play with any combination of past/future DLC) but more complex than something that could easily be modded in (which is why I expect more than just new resources/buildings/etc). Similarly, I think actually making a tangible trade system might be too closely connected to the base game, it would make future changes tricky to balance for both DLC and non-DLC owners.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a new style of empire to play; it's been fairly common with paid DLC in the past, and these changes open up some new options. Maybe criminal syndicates, with ways to sneak stuff into your rivals territories to gain resources/penalize them, or perhaps something with the market system we haven't seen much of yet.

I'd love to see a new ascension path, maybe more than one so anyone without Utopia isn't funneled into the one.

TalonDemonKing posted:

Whatever it is, if it allows me to play as a nomadic fleet, then I'll buy it

Now this I could definitely see (it fits well into the "more than just a mod" but not messing with the base game limitations), though I'm not sure quite how it would work with the current economic and territory systems.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Thanks for the advice versus the Unbidden. I was starting to make progress, in that I can easily defeat their fleets - but I can't reinforce my own quickly enough to handle their constant reinforcements. I was building more Stations closer to the front, but I sadly seemed to encounter a hard-crash around 2516. I've reloaded a dozen times, and each time it gets to that point it crashes. A bit unfortunate, but a good end point for my first game I suppose.

I'm going to start another game, but not as a Pacifist! Being taunted by the ruined ringworld just beyond my borders for the entire game but not being able to take it... ugh!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

it's the le guin patch so i expect anarchist moon communes in the expansion

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

it's the le guin patch so i expect anarchist moon communes in the expansion

https://mobile.twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1030739504011911168

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArtStig/status/1030849670766108672

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
:marx-but-a-snail:

Kore
Dec 28, 2012
Slightly off topic: I haven't been to the forums in forever and just now realized we have a Stellaris thread!

When is the next MP game? I want to enslave some goons :henget:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

my guess for the DLC:

Eh, my PC is already struggling with current Stellaris. Trade visualization would likely kill it :(

Anno posted:

Yeah they definitely had plenty of missteps along the way. And maybe this is just for Stellaris, I dunno. I guess we'll see once Imperator is out and expansions start being announced.

There have been a lot of cool changes included in the base patches for CK2, though less than in Stellaris for now. And they started later with it than in Stellaris, the early patches were often only for bug fixes and the like. I'm pretty sure that they will follow the Stellaris model when they make CK3 if Stellaris is still a success.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Oh God that is an adorable communist snail

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't been following this thread as much as I'd like to, largely because I'm so looking forward to the Le Guin stuff that I don't want to spoil myself too much on seeing what's in progress yet, so I don't know if a mechanic like this has been spoken about or anything sorry. But a thought occurred to me; would it be OP or anything to have some sort of slider or some percentage choice or whatever for allocating mineral/energy income to robot growth rates? Perhaps per planet, even.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

GunnerJ posted:

Since it's Le Guin I was thinking more something society related. Maybe more government/planet types, perhaps.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Black Pants posted:

I haven't been following this thread as much as I'd like to, largely because I'm so looking forward to the Le Guin stuff that I don't want to spoil myself too much on seeing what's in progress yet, so I don't know if a mechanic like this has been spoken about or anything sorry. But a thought occurred to me; would it be OP or anything to have some sort of slider or some percentage choice or whatever for allocating mineral/energy income to robot growth rates? Perhaps per planet, even.
Post Le Guin, it seems like there's going to be some kind of a "Roboticist" job that lets you generate robot pops. Presumably robot civs will have that from day 1.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh sorry, I didn't mean for 'growing' the pops though that's cool, I meant like you allocate 50% of your mineral/energy income for a while to make your robot pops take like 50% less time to build or whatever. Like how food bonuses affect pop growth now but with control over it because, well, you're robots building robots.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Black Pants posted:

Oh sorry, I didn't mean for 'growing' the pops though that's cool, I meant like you allocate 50% of your mineral/energy income for a while to make your robot pops take like 50% less time to build or whatever. Like how food bonuses affect pop growth now but with control over it because, well, you're robots building robots.
I think the problem is that I can see how you could easily exploit this to crush the galaxy beneath an unstoppable tide of robots. I think robot empires already have some kind of edict or campaign that reduces robot build time by like 20% - making it a sliding scale seems like it would on the net just make robots stronger across the board.

(Can robot pops displace are native Blorgthy sons' rightful place in the Pop growth window?)

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Nessus posted:

I think the problem is that I can see how you could easily exploit this to crush the galaxy beneath an unstoppable tide of robots. I think robot empires already have some kind of edict or campaign that reduces robot build time by like 20% - making it a sliding scale seems like it would on the net just make robots stronger across the board.

(Can robot pops displace are native Blorgthy sons' rightful place in the Pop growth window?)

Bots will have their own "Assembling" growth slot instead.

And yeah, Machine Empires get the Drone Campaign edict for +20% speed to pop 'growth,' the equivalent to Healthcare Campaign.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

OwlFancier posted:

I admit I really do hope we get a new version of guilli's planet modifiers that lets habitats get different districts depending on where you build them though.

It's nice but I think they'd all end up really samey as they do in vanilla at the moment.

I got you fam, but no promises.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Guilliman posted:

I got you fam, but no promises.

I wish Martin would get you, fam

a job.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

tithin posted:

I wish Martin would get you, fam

a job.

It's not like this has never happened.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Gulli is the Wiz of this generation's forum posters.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Just realized that playing robots is the only way to control the 'shift towards equilibrium' of the species. You have control of how many robot pops will be produces and once they pop out of the factory line, they will cause overcrowding and displace the pointless biologicals. And your robot pops dont migrate themselves, so you have absolute control even if they are sapient

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1506081421

Wiz, this chap's borders are way better than yours.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

See, I don't like the pale, almost colorless borders. I really miss 1.8 or whenever it was that the map colors actually resembled the ones you picked for your flag.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nah.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

At least with that chap's borders you can see where nebulae are once they're within an empire easily, rather than being surprised at being able to build a harvester doodad at some random station. :smith:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
re: DLC chat, I'd buy the hell out of soundtrack DLC.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Gyshall posted:

re: DLC chat, I'd buy the hell out of soundtrack DLC.

There's no Sabaton yet, though

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

So I see that Stellaris is on sale and OP recommends the expansions in the Starter Pack (base game, Utopia, Apocalypse) but reviews for Apocalypse are mixed. Would you recommend that a budget-conscious player grabs all three while it's on sale or should I just stick with Utopia + base (I loved the hell out of MOO2 but haven't played much 4x other than the Civ series and a little bit of Endless Legend since those days)?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Call Your Grandma posted:

So I see that Stellaris is on sale and OP recommends the expansions in the Starter Pack (base game, Utopia, Apocalypse) but reviews for Apocalypse are mixed. Would you recommend that a budget-conscious player grabs all three while it's on sale or should I just stick with Utopia + base (I loved the hell out of MOO2 but haven't played much 4x other than the Civ series and a little bit of Endless Legend since those days)?

The only reason why Apocalypse is mixed is because people complain that the DLC costs money.

Grab the DLC on sale.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Get apocalypse this is the first time its been 13 bucks.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 9, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

apocalypse is decidedly non-essential but it's worth a grab

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
My one true hope for the DLC is that it will make fighters worthwhile. I’m not holding my breath, of course, but I dare to dream that one day it will be viable to field space aircraft carriers.

I do like the changes to corvettes having a more difficult time disengaging from fleets. I think mixed fleets just “look” more cinematic when they fight, and hopefully this change makes cruisers a bit more viable in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Call Your Grandma posted:

How much did you like stellar converters and blowing up planets in MOO2? Because Apocalypse adds those.

Honestly while the additions are a lot of fun, they don't majorly impact the gameplay; I'm definitely happy with my purchase, and would recommend it to anyone else, but if money is a concern you'll be just fine without them.