Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Laslow posted:

Sci-fi too. Have you seen the crazy deep sea creatures that actually exist on this planet?

The deep sea creatures are more interesting as themselves than as some pulp sci fi writer's inspiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Here's an unpopular opinion.

Left4Dead and Vermintide games (it's the same loving game basically) are only fun for maybe an hour maybe two tops.
They're so loving repetitive, I don't get how people keep playing them.

Vermintide's lovely drop system and horribly bad controls turned me off. There's a reason Valve didn't make melee in L4D2 very complicated.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Vakal posted:

The Genesis version of Shadowrun is one of my favorite games of all time.

That was what I had in mind when I posted, ha. It’s so ambitious for a 16-bit game.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 9, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sci fi in general sucks rear end but Stanislaw Lem is extremely good and it'd be cool to get a point and click Solaris adventure game or something

I never like single player horror but L4D is great for on LANparties (a type of men's gathering). I don't really enjoy multiplayer unless it's with irl friends.

I have pretty mixed feelings about Paradox games. Surviving Mars was really, really disappointing, I was hoping for a game where you have a handful of colonists and you have to actually manage them as individuals in a claustrophobic base, occasionally going out for expeditions and stuff, instead it's just the world's most boring city builder buried under a mountain of cliches.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 9, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

I have pretty mixed feelings about Paradox games. Surviving Mars was really, really disappointing, I was hoping for a game where you have a handful of colonists and you have to actually manage them as individuals in a claustrophobic base, occasionally going out for expeditions and stuff, instead it's just the world's most boring city builder buried under a mountain of cliches.
It's a game by the Tropico team.
I don't know what else you could be expecting.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Cannot wait to play the videogame of War & Peace

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Navigate the subtleties of Edwardian class politics in Bioware's latest masterpiece, A Room with a View. Over 150 different etiquette faux pas to avoid while hobnobbing across ten lovingly rendered and period-accurate country homes and gentleman's clubs. Will they discover your status as a nouveau riche plebeian? Or will you claim the land of the lovely Lady de Montfort and claim your place at society's table?

Now available with DLC collectible Meissen plates. Customise your hero down to the stitching of his waistcoat with our revolutionary new "Carnaby Street" character customisation software, with well over twenty million sartorial combinations.

e: claim the hand. not the land. well, also the land.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 9, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jeza posted:

Navigate the subtleties of Edwardian class politics in Bioware's latest masterpiece, A Room with a View. Over 150 different etiquette faux pas to avoid while hobnobbing across ten lovingly rendered and period-accurate country homes and gentleman's clubs. Will they discover your status as a nouveau riche plebeian? Or will you claim the land of the lovely Lady de Montfort and claim your place at society's table?

Now available with DLC collectible Meissen plates. Customise your hero down to the stitching of his waistcoat with our revolutionary new "Carnaby Street" character customisation software, with well over twenty million sartorial combinations.

I think I'd play the poo poo out of this.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Jeza posted:

A visual novel on Sega Saturn.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think I'd play the poo poo out of this.

The binary morality system is between Capital Fellow and Cad. For lovers of minigames, we offer croquet and fox hunting. Our advanced dialogue system offers you deep and meaningful choices through choleric, melancholic, sanguine and phlegmatic options, with Witticism or Snobbery interrupts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jeza posted:

The binary morality system is between Capital Fellow and Cad. For lovers of minigames, we offer croquet and fox hunting. Our advanced dialogue system offers you deep and meaningful choices through choleric, melancholic, sanguine and phlegmatic options, with Witticism or Snobbery interrupts.

Cad life

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shibawanko posted:

Sci fi in general sucks rear end but Stanislaw Lem is extremely good and it'd be cool to get a point and click Solaris adventure game or something

Sci fi actually owns, and if anything they should make an episodic Trurl and Klapaucius point & click.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

y'all joke but videogame adaptations of good works of literature would be unimaginably better than adaptations of escapist genre lit. seriously, read some real books once in a while: the themes, characters, settings, even humor you love so much from sci fi and fantasy are all there, except well written and condensed to the interesting or meaningful parts

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sci fi actually owns, and if anything they should make an episodic Trurl and Klapaucius point & click.

Yeah that would kick rear end for a more comedic game. I thought Solaris would be good too for something in the style of the I Have No Mouth game

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

hackbunny posted:

y'all joke but videogame adaptations of good works of literature would be unimaginably better than adaptations of escapist genre lit. seriously, read some real books once in a while: the themes, characters, settings, even humor you love so much from sci fi and fantasy are all there, except well written and condensed to the interesting or meaningful parts

one of my favourite internet quotes that I think of often but have lost to time is some gamefaqs post about having read "all the so-called 'classics' and not one of them compares to the intricacy and depth of Xenogears".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They've made well received and addictive games based on hospital administration and double-checking immigration paperwork. I don't think there's anything that couldn't make a great game, done right.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

hackbunny posted:

Somehow I doubt that.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think there's anything that couldn't make a great game, done right.

Newborn chicken sexing simulator.

Flick the controller to toss the useless male chicks onto the conveyor belt that leads to the industrial grinder.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vakal posted:

Flick the controller to toss the useless male chicks onto the conveyor belt that leads to the industrial grinder.

Give it great presentation and catchy music like a WarioWare game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vakal posted:

Just make it about the person doing that job.
Add some cheap audiologs and have the reveal be that they're gay. Boom. Instant accolades.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Shibawanko posted:

Sci-fi is incredibly good, but you have to go back to the era when it wasn't as distinct a category in the 50s and 60s to get the real good stuff, when sci-fi and fantasy were rolled into one: so Lem, Sturgeon, Dick, Bester, Herbert, Heinlein, Strugatsky bros, Haldeman, etc.

Lem's story The Futurological Congress is extremely good, as is Solaris.

As for recent good sci fi that fits into that fantasy category, Ted Chiang's short story book is loving sharp.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Dunkey sucks and his videos are terrible

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

YagotmeIdidit posted:

Somehow I doubt that.

doubt what? that literature is celebrated because it's actually good, or that better source material makes for better adaptations?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

I mean, just like expected from a literal nazi.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

hackbunny posted:

doubt what? that literature is celebrated because it's actually good, or that better source material makes for better adaptations?

He may be suggesting that adaptations are extremely easy to gently caress up, but you made what sounded like a guarantee. It's likely that adaptations of classic literature would be just as bad as adaptations of modern movies tend to be.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Dante's Inferno was adapted into a video game and it's basically just an okay God of War clone.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Jack Trades posted:

I mean, just like expected from a literal nazi.

I mean his videos are dumb and repetitive but what makes him a nazi?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Dante's Inferno was adapted into a video game and it's basically just an okay God of War clone.

oh poo poo i had forgotten about this

yeah it was a perfectly servicable game

Vakal
May 11, 2008

basic hitler posted:

oh poo poo i had forgotten about this

yeah it was a perfectly servicable game

All I remember of it was the one boss fight where you fought the nipples of a giant naked woman.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vakal posted:

All I remember of it was the one boss fight where you fought the nipples of a giant naked woman.

Then you didnt make it to the end because nobody forgets Satan’s pendulous havok enabled dong

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

Perhaps, but his gf is hotter than yours

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

QuarkJets posted:

I wouldn’t really call that an adaptation, more of a reimagining, with the “imagining” patterns of a teen goth boy.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

He may be suggesting that adaptations are extremely easy to gently caress up, but you made what sounded like a guarantee. It's likely that adaptations of classic literature would be just as bad as adaptations of modern movies tend to be.

I guarantee it, except it will never happen. even bad games would be bad in an interesting way

on the value of source material vs adaptation quality, compare the movie adaptations of Cell and The Road

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

hackbunny posted:

I guarantee it, except it will never happen. even bad games would be bad in an interesting way

on the value of source material vs adaptation quality, compare the movie adaptations of Cell and The Road

What do you guarantee? That a video game adapted from a classic story is going to be good?

Alice in Wonderland has a lot of video game adaptations but most of them are terrible, and the same goes for various Sherlock Holmes stories. Pretty much every game adapted from H.P. Lovecraft's works is bad. "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" would be considered a classic short story if not for its age, but its game was terrible (and not in a good way)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There was one Sherlock Holmes game where the final case is a communist plot to blow up Parliament, and at the end of the case you can join them, which was badass

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Perhaps, but his gf is hotter than yours

Yes but only because I don’t have a girlfriend!

:smith:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

Yes but only because I don’t have a girlfriend!

:smith:

That was in the back of my mind when I posted, because: goons :(:hf::(

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

What do you guarantee? That a video game adapted from a classic story is going to be good?

Alice in Wonderland has a lot of video game adaptations but most of them are terrible, and the same goes for various Sherlock Holmes stories. Pretty much every game adapted from H.P. Lovecraft's works is bad. "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" would be considered a classic short story if not for its age, but its game was terrible (and not in a good way)

hot take:

american mcgee's alice and its sequel are cool and good games (though the original has aged pretty terribly but still has a really good soundtrack)

american mcgee is a really dumb name though

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

basic hitler posted:

people who hate fantasy are boring loving dorks too afraid to let their mind ponder possibilities outside of their own reality, and are creatively stunted weirdos.

source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sci-fi is incredibly good, but you have to go back to the era when it wasn't as distinct a category in the 50s and 60s to get the real good stuff, when sci-fi and fantasy were rolled into one: so Lem, Sturgeon, Dick, Bester, Herbert, Heinlein, Strugatsky bros, Haldeman, etc.

Lem's story The Futurological Congress is extremely good, as is Solaris.

As for recent good sci fi that fits into that fantasy category, Ted Chiang's short story book is loving sharp.

Heinlein is a terrible writer