Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

I think it's perfectly OK to not want to play an online game if your very first experience is terrible. Saying that the person is too sensitive just means you're already used to it but not everyone (maybe not anyone) should get used to people being toxic online or wave it off with "that's to be expected". I had played an online game for almost 3 years and it's just tiresome how this aspect has never changed so I don't begrudge anyone for stopping right at the beginning.

Nobody here had a problem with him not wanting to play the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
That does suck, but also ranting for several posts about how the whole game should be shut down and everything about it is garbage because of an unlucky first experience almost two full years ago now is "hella silly" as the kids say these days, especially if you follow it with "I don't actually give a gently caress if it's better now" despite that being the origin of the grievance in the first place. Makes one look like they're just rambling at that point.

Anyway, my biggest issue with Overwatch is that I always tense up while playing one of the faster heroes and then my neck and shoulders are in pain the next day. Gettin' old I guess.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kanfy posted:

ranting for several posts about how the whole game should be shut down

uh, you didn't realize that "servers shut down for ever" wasn't serious?

like the whole point of not wanting to go back to the game, also includes not having any true vested interest in whether or not someone else is playing it. honestly most people paid full price for it, so it would suck if they couldn't.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

uh, you didn't realize that "servers shut down for ever" wasn't serious?

like the whole point of not wanting to go back to the game, also includes not having any true vested interest in whether or not someone else is playing it. honestly most people paid full price for it, so it would suck if they couldn't.

To me it didn't really come across like a joke. I apologize if it seems like I'm trying to throw you under the bus or dogpile on you or something, I just think your reaction to verranicus was kind of extreme.

Having a bad first impression and not wanting to go back is totes fine though. Heaven knows my first experience with League of Legends was awful because the goon that invited me to play it didn't actually like me and was mostly keeping me around to pick on and then he booted me out when I played a trick on him by adding someone to the skype chat we were in that he didn't like. That was a pretty bad first impression. Then years later I played it with a few friends and it was fine because we were all chill and also because we were all at the same skill level so we had fun testing out different champs against the AI. Then a separate goon invited us to join him for a game and it was the first time I'd played with him and it was our first time in the new 3v3 mode or whatever it was and I asked him not to yell over skype because yelling and screaming and stuff like that is a trigger for the other person we were playing with so he was all like "yeah okay I won't do that" but then when KCB messed up on doing something because we were both new to it and trying to learn what to do, he just started screaming at her over skype until she was crying and panicking and disassociating. That dude was a real rear end about it too because I called him out on how he broke the one rule I asked him to abide by and his response was more or less just "BUT SHE WASN'T PLAYING IT RIGHT!!!"

If those negative experiences were the only ones I had, I'd likely never have played it again, but I think attacking someone because they like it is a bit much. Sorry. I feel like a dick.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

lol

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Are these actually from the games or just edits? cuz if they're the former I might have to give the game another chance.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Good morning friends. Today I am going to play Wolfenstein: New Order and probably Etrian Odyssey Untold, because games where you have to draw maps are extremely cool and I love them. With Wolfenstein I have gotten into the trap of getting all the collectibles and reaching Platinum/100% Completion, because those things satisfy me immensely and they seem easy enough to do. I am tired of the dumb cutscenes which have to play at least partially to cover up loading but I am at 74% and I have unlocked a mode with infinite ammo and absurdly overcharged health on the hardest mode so I am pumped to see what else unlocks. Solving even a cheap math puzzle to get the unlocks is actually pretty cool and feels sort of like you’re actually breaking a code. Unlocking Perks by doing cool poo poo is also really satisfying. They really went out of their way to make you feel cool for accomplishing stuff, I like it.

I have Old Blood and New Colossus queued up and then I actually have a PS2 Wolfenstein and one for 360 (apparently just called “Wolfenstein” :geno:) and maybe I will play those after I get all the sidetrophies in Arkham City. If anybody read all of that and somehow has opinions on those other Wolfenstein games, please let me know.

Thank you for reading my video game opinions blog.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

UPDATE: instead of Etrian Odyssey I am going to keep playing Mother 3. I got to a part where I was playing a monkey being mistreated (who I named Steve) and it seemed like there was not going to be fighting but I will push through because it was very good before that and Etrian Odyssey is a game you play in bed while a sitcom is on or something

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Playing the Mega Man 11demo made me wonder if I was ever any good at Mega Man games. I think the Gear system adds just enough to the gameplay without really changing what makes classic, 2d Mega Mans good. I found myself using the time gear a lot more often than the power gear.

codenameFANGIO posted:

UPDATE: instead of Etrian Odyssey I am going to keep playing Mother 3. I got to a part where I was playing a monkey being mistreated (who I named Steve) and it seemed like there was not going to be fighting but I will push through because it was very good before that and Etrian Odyssey is a game you play in bed while a sitcom is on or something

Keep playing and posting about Mother 3

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wow Reddit is really racist.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Raxivace posted:

the Witcher Netflix show thing is the dumbest thing in the world and a lot of morons are very very angry

LawfulWaffle posted:

Keep playing and posting about Mother 3

I don’t want to spoil it for people

edit: I will say that the way they revealed the mother’s death was fuckin hilarious. “Well there is good news and bad news. The good news is that I found you this fuckin’ awesome sword. The bad news is that I found it sticking out of your wife. That’s the bad news. She is super dead.” Then the Dad just starts beating the poo poo out of innocent people with a stick. :stare: This game is amazing.

codenameFANGIO fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 9, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Raxivace posted:

This is generally known, but what recent event has brought on this revelation?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

This is generally known, but what recent event has brought on this revelation?

The Witcher Netflix show is casting, and the casting call for Ciri is looking for a non-white actress, so the internet has lost its racist mind

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nazis are the bad guys in the new WWII game

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's okay to let bad experiences rule your decisions, but I don't think it's okay to let one rear end in a top hat completely color your experience. Seems pretty childish not to at least give it another chance, especially if you've played online games before and know that's not the norm.

If I walked into a store and some other customer yelled at me then that would suck, but I'm not gonna blame the store for that and hold a permanent grudge against them.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

The Witcher Netflix show is casting, and the casting call for Ciri is looking for a non-white actress, so the internet has lost its racist mind

I didn’t realize they hadn’t even cast a specific person yet. Video games ... were a mistake 😑

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there a reason they're deciding to change Ciri from a pale as all hell polish lady to something else? Isn't she super fair skinned because she's a descendant of the elves or something? Along with the fact that the sun barely ever seems to come out in that universe.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Ciri is not real.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Verranicus posted:

Is there a reason they're deciding to change Ciri from a pale as all hell polish lady to something else? Isn't she super fair skinned because she's a descendant of the elves or something? Along with the fact that the sun barely ever seems to come out in that universe.

I think the idea, generally speaking, is that you shouldn't need a reason to cast a person of color in a prominent role.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Ok well it is hosed up to make a setting where there aren’t darker-than-white-skinned people, dude.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Are these actually from the games or just edits? cuz if they're the former I might have to give the game another chance.

they have personality, so they're edits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

Ok well it is hosed up to make a setting where there aren’t darker-than-white-skinned people, dude.
The witcher novels have darker skinned characters and races, they just don't appear in the games. I think one of them might have been in the Blood and Wine DLC? I'm not a witcher lore expert. Anyway, so that makes the 'my canon!!' arguments even dumber.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I was talking about the Witcher Netflix thing. I always knew there was racism on Reddit, I was just naive enough to think it wasn't this bad outside of the the subs specifically for Alt-Righters or whatever.

Endorph posted:

The witcher novels have darker skinned characters and races, they just don't appear in the games. I think one of them might have been in the Blood and Wine DLC? I'm not a witcher lore expert. Anyway, so that makes the 'my canon!!' arguments even dumber.
Hearts of Stone has some, like those dudes that kidnap Geralt and want to put him on trial for killing their toad prince.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Most of Reddit falls into the 'not as outwardly hateful but just doesn't think there should be women in Battlefield but it's not historically accurate!!' camp ime.

I remember that TW3 received at least some criticism for being very white when it launched, but a lot it was papered over due to the games quality plus dumb fantasy verisimilitude arguments.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

Most of Reddit falls into the 'not as outwardly hateful but just doesn't think there should be women in Battlefield but it's not historically accurate!!' camp ime.

I remember that TW3 received at least some criticism for being very white when it launched, but a lot it was papered over due to the games quality plus dumb fantasy verisimilitude arguments.
there's this really prominent alt-right gamergate dude who literally became a racist because of the articles complaining about witcher 3 not having black people. like he was this hardcore SJW type and then he read those articles and went on a giant screed about the GENTRIFICATION OF GAMES or whatever.

More than likely he just saw which way the wind was blowing in terms of a griftable audience, but still, how the hell do you live your life like that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

codenameFANGIO posted:

Good morning friends. Today I am going to play Wolfenstein: New Order and probably Etrian Odyssey Untold, because games where you have to draw maps are extremely cool and I love them. With Wolfenstein I have gotten into the trap of getting all the collectibles and reaching Platinum/100% Completion, because those things satisfy me immensely and they seem easy enough to do. I am tired of the dumb cutscenes which have to play at least partially to cover up loading but I am at 74% and I have unlocked a mode with infinite ammo and absurdly overcharged health on the hardest mode so I am pumped to see what else unlocks. Solving even a cheap math puzzle to get the unlocks is actually pretty cool and feels sort of like you’re actually breaking a code. Unlocking Perks by doing cool poo poo is also really satisfying. They really went out of their way to make you feel cool for accomplishing stuff, I like it.

I have Old Blood and New Colossus queued up and then I actually have a PS2 Wolfenstein and one for 360 (apparently just called “Wolfenstein” :geno:) and maybe I will play those after I get all the sidetrophies in Arkham City. If anybody read all of that and somehow has opinions on those other Wolfenstein games, please let me know.

Thank you for reading my video game opinions blog.

Do not try and Platinum The New Colossus, it has the single worst hard mode/trophy I've ever seen

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Do not try and Platinum The New Colossus, it has the single worst hard mode/trophy I've ever seen

unless it is one of those modes where you’re not allowed to die and it’s really hard I will probably at least try it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

unless it is one of those modes where you’re not allowed to die and it’s really hard

bingo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Verranicus posted:

I think it's because she isn't a real person and they can cast whoever the gently caress they want

Nick Fury was always white but Samuel Jackson is cool so now he's black,

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

yeah I don’t play those lol

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I think Jackson Fury is a different Fury to whitey fury though because comics

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

McDragon posted:

I think Jackson Fury is a different Fury to whitey fury though because comics

It is my understanding that Sam Jackson Fury is Hasslehoff Fury’s son, but i haven’t read the books in a couple of years now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

is it too late to cast Lupita Nyon'go as Geralt

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
It all started when Ultimate Nick Fury was drawn based on Jackson because Jackson is awesome, and it was awesome enough that they decided to cast him for the MCU version. A few years later this version had become so iconic that they indeed retired the "main" white Fury in favor of a previously unrevealed son who looks more like Ultimate Fury/MCU Fury.

But the son/alternate dimension is for the comic side, technically on the movie side they needed no excuse for making Fury black other that Jackson being a badass. See also: Heimdall.
(Yes, there's the blanket excuse that the MCU is an alternate reality from the main marvel comics universe, but that's just to satisfy comic book nerds' need that everything be sorted into some form of canon, and technically it's the same excuse for having Iron Man portrayed by a white actor, that is to say, the excuse is there for the MCU's existence as a whole).

Chev fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 9, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Also you don't know, they could be asking for a black girl actress to play Geralt.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

Also you don't know, they could be asking for a black girl actress to play Geralt.
They already cast Henry Cavill as Geralt.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

They already cast Henry Cavill as Geralt.

I'm sure Cavill can pull of a Ciri too

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Andrast posted:

I'm sure Cavill can pull of a Ciri too

As long as judicious use of CGI is made to hide his moustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They should do a gwent anime instead

• Locked thread