Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Also, I got to play around with (and a demo of) the Deluge at Knobcon today. drat, that's an amazing piece. The dude demoing it didn't have a banner or stickers, or anything at his table, so I almost missed it. The hardware itself feels great. The interface is complicated, but feels appropriately so. If I actually gave a poo poo about making music rather than just building toys, I would get one so quick.

Edit: ACID SNYPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

HerzogZwo posted:

Wow. Did you get the synthcube complete kit, or source the parts yourself? They had a 20% off sale last week and I almost bit, but I'm not confident in my skills to take that leap yet. So I got one of the last moffenzeef jarmageddons in circulation.

Hope you fix your porblem!

Synthcube complete kit. I 100% recommend buying that instead of sourcing your own parts. For being such a large build, it's incredibly accessible. Like good jovi said, the instructions to build it are actually spread out between two documents, although it's really not that bad. The original electro-music build document is 120 pages, but you only need 1 chapter of it for building the analog/digital board. The main kit build document does have the problem of being two build documents smushed together, but if you buy the kit now, you just need to remember to ignore the bold red text, remember that the main kit build guide overrides the original build doc (for resistor values and some omissions), and you're golden.

Regarding my build, it looks like it's probably a bad CD4053. I have 5 coming in from Mouser, so one of them should work...dammit.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Well I feel like I am getting the hang of my pedal chain connected to my Minilogue. I was originally using a Bass Big Muff -> Boss Chorus - Boss RV-6 and I felt like it didn’t have enough oomph and was a little thin. After reading something in the effects thread, I grabbed my Boss OS-2 and put it before the muff to drive it harder. This worked like a charm and I am getting some great tones out of this thing. Just made two sample-based beats with a couple synth lines from the Minilogue and I feel inspired again.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

MrSargent posted:

Well I feel like I am getting the hang of my pedal chain connected to my Minilogue. I was originally using a Bass Big Muff -> Boss Chorus - Boss RV-6 and I felt like it didn’t have enough oomph and was a little thin. After reading something in the effects thread, I grabbed my Boss OS-2 and put it before the muff to drive it harder. This worked like a charm and I am getting some great tones out of this thing. Just made two sample-based beats with a couple synth lines from the Minilogue and I feel inspired again.

yeah korg synths are terrible at distortion (other than the polysix), you gon need some outboard 4 it

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

byob historian posted:

yeah korg synths are terrible at distortion (other than the polysix), you gon need some outboard 4 it

Even just setting the Level at max on the OS-2 adds some nice harmonics to regular synth lines. Gonna have some fun messing with it some today.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

byob historian posted:

karp odyssey distorts amazingly, too, if you consider that a korg

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Just picked up an MFB 522 on the cheap and it has a couple issues. The snare and clap triggers are accompanied by a loud, piercing beep. Especially the clap. I can hear the clap buried under the beep but it’s pretty quiet. Does this sound like anything obvious? I can try to post a clip

content
Feb 13, 2014

chaosbreather posted:

An update to my whole OP-1 quest: I managed to score one on Gumtree (Australian Craigslist, but owned by eBay), totally mint, for AU$1000 (USD$710.88 or 614.34 Euro), due to an unlikely chain of events.

Since I last posted, several attempts at getting new and second hand OP-1s fell through. The cruellest was I found an eBay Buy It Now listing from a reputable shop (Better Music) for around $1400 before breakfast, which made for a very happy morning before they rang up and said that they somehow accidentally crafted an elaborate eBay listing totally on accident and gave me a refund. I guess they fell on their keyboard or something?

So last night I couldn't sleep so I was browsing on my phone late, and found that listing, four weeks old, on Gumtree a suburb over. I assumed that it was either a scam or the poster just forgot to take it down but I went ahead and sent them a message asking if it were still available, laughed at the idea that it was, and eventually got to sleep. The next morning, I got a reply that it was. Not only that but it turns out, not only was the OP-1 in perfect condition (apart from missing one of the rubber bands that holds the weird box together) and was it very much not a scam but the guy was going overseas tomorrow and if I hadn't contacted them he would have pulled it. So if there is anyone else out there in my position, don't lose hope, you too may be able to buy a thing.

Anyway, I have had it for a few hours and are already firmly in love with it. Are there any must have presets/resources/tutorials/whatever?

I had to sell my OP-1 due to financial reasons, and now I’m back to being jealous of people that own OP-1s again.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I bought an extremely cheap case and it has enough room for my OP-1, two volcas, and two or more pocket operators and some audio cables and a cable splitter. It loving rocks having a totally portable setup that plays well and is super quick to set up and break down. I'll post some pics tonight if anyone's interested. It doesn't look great or anything but I like it so much I'm regretting not getting a nicer case already.

Also one of those Amazon basic headphone splitter things was just what I needed to get everything playing from to the same speaker/headphones. It does some lovely automatic levelling thing but it's not too big of a deal, just pretty annoying.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Stan Taylor posted:

I bought an extremely cheap case and it has enough room for my OP-1, two volcas, and two or more pocket operators and some audio cables and a cable splitter. It loving rocks having a totally portable setup that plays well and is super quick to set up and break down. I'll post some pics tonight if anyone's interested. It doesn't look great or anything but I like it so much I'm regretting not getting a nicer case already.

Also one of those Amazon basic headphone splitter things was just what I needed to get everything playing from to the same speaker/headphones. It does some lovely automatic levelling thing but it's not too big of a deal, just pretty annoying.

One thing I can recommend for the OP-1 is a ground loop isolator like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ground-Iso...d+loop+isolator

If you have the OP-1 plugged in through USB, you'll get ground loop static over the output. It's a very well known flaw with the product and one that pissed me off no end. Hooking it up to a ground loop isolator totally removed that issue though, so it's well worth picking one up.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Check the Make Noise Instragram for some awesome footage of the new Rene. It looks awesome.

e: ehh, or you can just go their site lol http://makenoisemusic.com/modules/rene

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 12, 2018

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Oldstench posted:

Check the Make Noise Instragram for some awesome footage of the new Rene. It looks awesome.

e: ehh, or you can just go their site lol http://makenoisemusic.com/modules/rene

On one hand I want this really bad, on the other I don't have enough VCOs in the Shared system to justify dumping the old rené in favor of this.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

On one hand I want this really bad, on the other I don't have enough VCOs in the Shared system to justify dumping the old rené in favor of this.

You can, and should, use the outputs for other stuff besides just pitches and gates.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

j.peeba posted:

You can, and should, use the outputs for other stuff besides just pitches and gates.

:agreed: People get far too locked into sequencer cv out => 1v/oct in.
Sequence envelope segment lengths, clock speeds, filter cvs, mix amounts, effect amounts, other sequencers, itself, etc.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Very valid points. Thanks!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

j.peeba posted:

patch one of them to the clock :twisted:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

drat the Magneto is a work of art.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

content posted:

I had to sell my OP-1 due to financial reasons, and now I’m back to being jealous of people that own OP-1s again.

Boy, I feel really bad for actual musicians. Stick in there, buddy, both my folks are classical guitarists in a country town and they're doing okay. Maybe trick someone rich into marrying you.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Stan Taylor posted:

My girlfriend made me this totally amazing upcycled OP-1 case in a single Sunday:

The fabric is an actual vintage 60s offcut, it has keyhole-style padding to protect the keys that is made from the inside padding of other synth boxes, and it is lined with microfiber.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Luckily, that's not me because I sold my Sledge. And I'm choosing to ignore the bit about Eurorack.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

It's honestly cheaper than my previous drug habit.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Oldstench posted:

It's honestly cheaper than my previous drug habit.

And far cheaper than having children, so it's a good decision for the environment too.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

I mean, they're not *wrong*, but there's no shortage of hobbies out there whose primary barrier to entry is cost over ability/practice/talent. Some just allow for greater delusions of adequacy than other, and the "creative" ones allow for the most.

I look at it this way: it's either music gear or lottery tickets. Both offer a daydream but one sticks around and gives me something to do with it.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
happy page 303 everyone

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dfsoGP8-I

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

sick jam that reminds me of the merzbow car (which i learned from this story was never sold)
https://jawkdna.com/blog/?p=13

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I finally made some time for music and decided to do it right and try actual mastering for once instead of just recording in one take and hitting normalize.

https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/so-you-like-to-play-castlenova/

How'd I do?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Behringer MS-101 spotted in the wild with a highly suspect rumoured price of $199.

Video

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Plavski posted:

Behringer MS-101 spotted in the wild with a highly suspect rumoured price of $199.

That is honestly insane. It'd still sell like crazy at $299.

~ bu- bu- but my investment :smith: ~

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

I mean, I'm pretty sure that building a eurorack rig of doom and having a gratuitous synth collection is just my generation's version of painstakingly recreating Stevie Ray Vaughan or Jimi Hendrix's guitar rig. I'm seeing a few guys I remember from punk shows years ago buying poo poo from elektron and posting their techno loops on instagram

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Plavski posted:

There are some longer videos around, I'd be tempted based on the cheapness and the sequencer let alone a keytar, get some real On The Run action. I never got to play with an SH-101 at length, this looks like a drat good clone.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Hmm I hate this

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Stan Taylor posted:

Hmm I hate this

it describes me to a t and i think it's hilarious

e: except for the eurorack and music theory i guess, theory is good and eurorack is the parisian catacombs

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I left my microkorg in the trunk of my car for a year and now it's melted and none of the keys work :(

I'm debating on buying another microkorg (because I actually really like it suck it hater), or the minilouge (big dollar upgrade). Is the minilogue worth the extra dosh? It seems like a dope piece of kit but nowhere near as versitile as the microkorg. Most of the minilogue demos I've seen are just 80s cheese but like thicc cheese if u kno what I mean.

I'll probably just buy both tbh HAIL SATAN.

Another option is to get one of those case kits for the microkorg , do a keyboard delete, and mount it on a rack. Anyone have any experience with these kits or should I just get a circular saw and do the lords work myself.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
OP-Z up on the teenage engineering site. $599. :yikes:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

For its extreme Cuckoo-based niche, that's reasonable pricing. The iOS restriction on the screen is a massive no from me tho.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I feel like the cuckoo videos can be helpful but I just cannot stand that dudes personality or whatever you call it

I though the op z was going to have a projector built in or something?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Plavski posted:

For its extreme Cuckoo-based niche, that's reasonable pricing. The iOS restriction on the screen is a massive no from me tho.

It's weird, I thought everyone was swinging away from phone apps to embedded webservers but lol TE I guess.

A MIRACLE posted:

I feel like the cuckoo videos can be helpful but I just cannot stand that dudes personality or whatever you call it

I though the op z was going to have a projector built in or something?

When they first announced it I thought it was going to be a straight up video synth+some sound but that's morphed into support for Unity in some fashion now? Dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Stan Taylor posted:

OP-Z up on the teenage engineering site. $599. :yikes:

"CABLES AND GRIP KNOBS DO NOT COME WITH THIS BUNDLE."
natch. :retrogames: