Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Mostly the situation in which I experience this is at work, where I walk through concrete-lined back hallways. I assume the issue is network penetration through the building materials, because I can stand on one side of a set of double doors and get absolutely nothing (yet full 4G LTE connectivity according to the icon), then take no poo poo a 2ft step forward through those doors and boom, suddenly I have full speeds.

If the building materials were making network penetration an issue, why would the phone still think there was a connection at all to the tower? Sorry if I'm asking way too many questions, I think it's pretty fascinating stuff honestly.

How long are you standing in place without connectivity? I've noticed that when signal drops it can take a good amount of time (up to 30s or so?) for it to start being reflected in the signal strength icons.

Wireless networks are a shared resource, every device connected takes turns 'talking' so lots of devices can make it slow to get your turn and packet loss could cause you to miss it. Switching networks is a slow process because of the turn taking so your phone usually tries to avoid it if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've yet to see any of these mythical examples of good things on YouTube. I mean, there's music and sports highlights, but everything actually made for YouTube is trash. Especially if it's just white people talking, or doing white people things

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I enjoy binging with babish and the many film essay channels I follow :shrug:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

codo27 posted:

I've yet to see any of these mythical examples of good things on YouTube. I mean, there's music and sports highlights, but everything actually made for YouTube is trash. Especially if it's just white people talking, or doing white people things
There's legit full length documentaries on youtube that put anything made for TV to shame.

Like I get that "trending" is a garbage fire of teen-influenced nonsense but you're basically someone saying "no, all TV is bad, I don't need to watch it to know that" in 1960 here.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Khablam posted:

FWIW 4Gb is 'enough' RAM but why would you upgrade from a phone with 4Gb of RAM to a phone with 4Gb of RAM, for the same~ asking price a year later? When others are adding more?

Because RAM is way down on the list of differentiating features, especially if they all have "enough" and bigger numbers or future proofing for 2+ years away are all you're chasing with more

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Desk Lamp posted:

Go back through this thread and it's previous iterations and you'll see that people have always defended low RAM devices. 2GB of RAM was enough until it wasn't.

I think you can have a perfectly fine Android experience with 4 gigs, but I think we're about to see changes in mobile computing which will, within 2 or 3 years make 6 gigs the bare minimum for a flagship Android experience.

That said if you upgrade regularly and you're a fan of Google's Android experience over all others... I'll bet anything that the Pixel 3XL will still be the best purchase you can make this year phonewise. I don't think the RAM will affect you.

I mean yeah if you only plan on keeping your phone for 2 years max it won't matter. If you plan on keeping your phone longer (I don't know many people that do) 4GB of RAM is gonna feel really slow in a few years but so does any old phone so yeah I agree with you I'm sure 4GB of RAM is good enough and I'm sure the Pixel 3 is still the best choice if you're willing to spend that much=.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Recently learned that a buddy keeps like 30+ tabs open on his chrome on his phone.

He hadn't looked at some of these tabs for months.

Tabbers sure are a weird breed.

But the more ram, the merrier.

Just uninstall Facebook and social media GOD

*goony smug face neck beard jpg*

I have a coworker that has at least 100 tabs open on his work computer at any given time and it gives me anxiety. The tabs are so small you can't even tell what anything is like why bother?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

All right, time to stop the Youtube derail, thanks.

e: vvv :negative:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 9, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

codo27 posted:

There are exceptions honestly. I really like Regular Car Reviews, Linus Tech Tips, and Red Letter Media. Most if not all of the channels that are just like a visual podcast format where people talk about movies or like video games suck.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just lol if you don't have the lil smiley face instead of a number for the chrome tab count on your phone :D

YouTube has many good catte and dogge videos on it btw

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

All right, time to stop the Youtube derail, thanks.

e: vvv :negative:

Oh hey dude when did you become a mod? (Modded?) Also how does one become a mod?

Congrats anyway.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I think "condolences" is the correct response.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh hey dude when did you become a mod? (Modded?) Also how does one become a mod?

Congrats anyway.

You have to have screwed up somewhere in life.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

You have to have screwed up somewhere in life.

loving sign me up. I have the death sentence on 12 systems!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My experience is that most people confuse RAM with HDD space and vice versa. A family member once told me her phone had extra RAM because she put in an SD card.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

couldcareless posted:

I enjoy binging with babish and the many film essay channels I follow :shrug:

yo im totally taking a bunch of film studies classes at the moment and would be interested in some of these channels. Finding good analysis of film is fuckin' hard imo because a lot of film majors are dumb including myself.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

My experience is that most people confuse RAM with HDD space and vice versa. A family member once told me her phone had extra RAM because she put in an SD card.

Still neither is downloadable

And yeah though it gets more confusing with SSDs and phones since there's no longer an actual disc so it's all chips

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MC Hawking posted:

yo im totally taking a bunch of film studies classes at the moment and would be interested in some of these channels. Finding good analysis of film is fuckin' hard imo because a lot of film majors are dumb including myself.

Most of the YouTube ones are also bad. Except nerdwriter. Nerdwriter does a great job.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Readyboost was legit on netbooks

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Nothing about netbooks was legit. I still got people calling towers "hard drives". I mean most people don't know poo poo about their cars either I dunno why I expect them to know poo poo about this device they all own and use daily. Then you got the local best buy staff knowing just as little and reinforcing the false info.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

codo27 posted:

i think you have bigger problems than youtube if your blind hatred for white people causes you to feel no enjoyment of anything.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

codo27 posted:

I've yet to see any of these mythical examples of good things on YouTube. I mean, there's music and sports highlights, but everything actually made for YouTube is trash. Especially if it's just black people talking, or doing black people things

i hate to go full reddit on you but lol look at what you are saying

vsauce, bill wurtz, colin furze, primitive technology, simone giertz. all "trash". what about dudes like tom scott, his channel is fantastic. I guess they all suck because they are white and they are on youtube.

lesser known channels: william osman, michael reeves, rare earth, physics girl.

You're an idiot. You're probably racist too.

E: sorry clam down I didn't continue reading the thread till i posted.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 10, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't like any of those people but I do like Lindsay Ellis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0qfFbtIj5w

PBS hired her to do some short videos as well.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
my USB C to 3.5mm adapter has stopped working :smith: it just reads it as a device that needs charging

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have an Heuaewai Honor 8 and there is some issue with the battery. It will be mostly charged (over 50%) and then I'll take a photo or two and it will out-of-the blue shutdown, reporting it is out of power. It won't turn back on until it is given time to charge.

I have a suspicion that some process is eating up battery, but the normal android battery stats are reset whenever you plug the device in. Does anyone know of an app that will record more permanent stats so that the next time my loving phone does this I can look back to see what was (or was not( wasting the battery?

Also also, if I use this problem as an excuse to buy a new phone.... what new phone takes the best photos with the faux depth-of-field feature? I think this requires dual camera. The Honor 8 has this and I kind of love it...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

other people posted:

I have an Heuaewai Honor 8 and there is some issue with the battery. It will be mostly charged (over 50%) and then I'll take a photo or two and it will out-of-the blue shutdown, reporting it is out of power. It won't turn back on until it is given time to charge.

I have a suspicion that some process is eating up battery, but the normal android battery stats are reset whenever you plug the device in. Does anyone know of an app that will record more permanent stats so that the next time my loving phone does this I can look back to see what was (or was not( wasting the battery?

Also also, if I use this problem as an excuse to buy a new phone.... what new phone takes the best photos with the faux depth-of-field feature? I think this requires dual camera. The Honor 8 has this and I kind of love it...

That's most likely a broken battery. Some cell dips from ok to very low voltage and that triggers a shutdown.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Ola posted:

That's most likely a broken battery. Some cell dips from ok to very low voltage and that triggers a shutdown.

Oh, cool :/. At least it is nice to hear the behaviour matches some know problem.

Since it is out of warranty, I guess that means getting a new phone?

Also also, is this type of issue something that this particular model or make are prone to or just bad luck on my part?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

other people posted:

The pixel 2 is arguably the best at this, and on just one lens too. Maybe try to survive til October for the P3 announcement?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'd have to say the double tap to turn on on my Px2 works about 30% of the time. Jeez how hard can that be to pull off.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

codo27 posted:

I'd have to say the double tap to turn on on my Px2 works about 30% of the time. Jeez how hard can that be to pull off.

You might be tapping too fast. Put a half second between your taps and see if it works better.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've experimented with it a bit. Doesn't seem to matter. I've just chalked it up to the janky touch sensors that seems to plague both the regular and the XL.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had to turn off the double tap on my Pixel 2 because it was too sensitive and I would accidentally unlock my phone while holding it or sometimes even in my pocket.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

codo27 posted:

Nothing about netbooks was legit. I still got people calling towers "hard drives". I mean most people don't know poo poo about their cars either I dunno why I expect them to know poo poo about this device they all own and use daily. Then you got the local best buy staff knowing just as little and reinforcing the false info.

Netbooks make great vehicle/motorcycle tuners due to their size and a good one can run on its battery for 8+ hours which is useful.

Outside of that and some occasional web browsing, yea they aren't too flashy with that single core Atom. (Also running anything Past Win8.1 on them or Linux is a joke. Windows 10 is a friggin pig.)

Also on the 4G is enough bandwagon, I feel that it was good enough, 2 years ago when it was introduced, but consistent with the pace of time, AppDevs seem to continue to eat all they can, including Googles own devs, and My phone feels spunky at times, and slow as crap at times (Google Maps continues to be a pig when it wants to), and really its been a consistent feeling since Android first arrived. Getting a device that is ahead of the "Enough" level would possibly keep you ahead of the curve for a bit before the slowness returns so I hope to jump on a device like that sometime in the distant future. Hopefully skipping 6G and going straight to 8G of Ram.

The occasional slowness can really be felt on my P2XL here and there when I try to do Maps, Google Play Music or Podcast Addict, and try to use Assistant all at the same time. Assistant will be a useless slow mess that either will completely ignore me for the first minute or two as it has to load up or something, and on the 5th or so attempt it may hear part of what I said because it times out before it shows that it is actually listening.

A reboot sometimes clears this up but it will eventually return. That and the inability for anything to remotely remain in ram during a multitask. I lol'ed when I loaded up Fortnite on my 2XL. Game takes ages to load and when it does, you have to use a login code to login to your Epic account, sure enough the second you multitask to mail to get the code and go back in, the game has to reload itself all over again.

Give me a phone with 16G ram and we will be solid good for 2 years at least. :D

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I use Maps, Android Auto, PocketCasts, Chrome with multiple tabs, Hangouts, Feedly, Awful, and Facebook and I've never seen my phone go past 2.7gb of memory in use.

More is always nice, but more RAM doesn't make the shortlist of things I want next in a phone right now.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

EdEddnEddy posted:

Netbooks make great vehicle/motorcycle tuners due to their size and a good one can run on its battery for 8+ hours which is useful.

Outside of that and some occasional web browsing, yea they aren't too flashy with that single core Atom. (Also running anything Past Win8.1 on them or Linux is a joke. Windows 10 is a friggin pig.)

Also on the 4G is enough bandwagon, I feel that it was good enough, 2 years ago when it was introduced, but consistent with the pace of time, AppDevs seem to continue to eat all they can, including Googles own devs, and My phone feels spunky at times, and slow as crap at times (Google Maps continues to be a pig when it wants to), and really its been a consistent feeling since Android first arrived. Getting a device that is ahead of the "Enough" level would possibly keep you ahead of the curve for a bit before the slowness returns so I hope to jump on a device like that sometime in the distant future. Hopefully skipping 6G and going straight to 8G of Ram.

The occasional slowness can really be felt on my P2XL here and there when I try to do Maps, Google Play Music or Podcast Addict, and try to use Assistant all at the same time. Assistant will be a useless slow mess that either will completely ignore me for the first minute or two as it has to load up or something, and on the 5th or so attempt it may hear part of what I said because it times out before it shows that it is actually listening.

A reboot sometimes clears this up but it will eventually return. That and the inability for anything to remotely remain in ram during a multitask. I lol'ed when I loaded up Fortnite on my 2XL. Game takes ages to load and when it does, you have to use a login code to login to your Epic account, sure enough the second you multitask to mail to get the code and go back in, the game has to reload itself all over again.

Give me a phone with 16G ram and we will be solid good for 2 years at least. :D

I honestly miss netbooks. There were a lot of special use cases (like auto tuning/garage computer) and a few other use cases that made them great for $200 (including a windows license!). I used one for awhile to take notes in college until it died and I bought a chromebook. The keyboards were horrible but they were pretty cool at the time honestly. I'm glad that they have been replaced by chromebooks though honestly b/c the keyboards of newer chromebooks are so much better.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I had a samsung one, one of the ones that came out slightly after the first anaemic batch. 95% keyboard size, 7+hrs battery, 3 USB, an SD card slot, VGA out and even did that thing where a special USB port would keep giving power after you powered it down (meaning you can use it as a big rear end power bank).
I used it for 1001 things.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Khablam posted:

I had a samsung one, one of the ones that came out slightly after the first anaemic batch. 95% keyboard size, 7+hrs battery, 3 USB, an SD card slot, VGA out and even did that thing where a special USB port would keep giving power after you powered it down (meaning you can use it as a big rear end power bank).
I used it for 1001 things.

I had similar feelings towards my 1st gen Samsung Series 3. It was under-powered but that little Samsung Arm chip got the job done. I put some variety of linux on it so I could run Arm version of linux applications. Not all of them worked, but it did the work I needed it to do.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hell I still have a Samsung Q1 Ultra with a pre Atom 800Mhz chip and 2G ram.

It's not fast, but it works fantastic for onsite networking stuff since it has all the ports and can run all the small tool apps just fine, and the battery last like 12Hrs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

other people posted:

Oh, cool :/. At least it is nice to hear the behaviour matches some know problem.

Since it is out of warranty, I guess that means getting a new phone?

Also also, is this type of issue something that this particular model or make are prone to or just bad luck on my part?

It happened to pretty much every Nexus 6P too which was another Huawei phone from that time period.

What are consumer laws like in your locale?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm fine with saying 4GB is probably good enough for me for the next 2 years. As long as I can run Maps and Spotify without one of them force quitting then I can live with any other app reloads. But I would not pay flag ship prices for a phone like that and sure as poo poo don't trust app developers or Google to keep their usage flat during that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What flagships phones are there that are good with lots of ram? The s9 and apparently the p3 have 4gb and I don't want to go bigger, I've got big hands so i can use an s9 sized phone one handed comfortably.