Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The manga is good, but as with most ln adaptations, is far, far behind the ln.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The manga has the upside of overall ignoring the dumb side plots of the LN and focusing pretty much entirely on our spider protagonist, who is far-and-away the best part of it to start with. It's behind but you get a better experience from it overall anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the manga is superior to the ln because it features Cute Spider Posing

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The Spider isekai is good until she gets multiple personalities. It was such a weird way to justify some of the powerleveling.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

No, there's a lot where one of them is. I mean specifically all of them are. All of the female rival characters are reincarnated, the female lead is reincarnated. Simultaneously.

I remember there was one where the protagonist was a guy who reincarnated as one of the love interests in an otome game, and the otome protagonist was also reincarnated.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

gmq posted:

The Spider isekai is good until she gets multiple personalities. It was such a weird way to justify some of the powerleveling.

I kinda like it. The designs of her magic brains are great :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's also a way to add more characters without adding more characters. :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I did it, I found a good isekai. Though to be fair it’s only technically an isekai and isn’t really the same style as others. Unfortunately only 10 chapters have been released so far and the next comes out in October.

https://mangadex.org/title/24651/saihate-no-paladin/chapters/

Kid recincarnates into a baby being raised by a mummy, a skeleton, and a ghost.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 3, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

RatHat posted:

I did it, I found a good isekai. Though to be fair it’s only technically an isekai and isn’t really the same style as others. Unfortunately only 10 chapters have been released so far and the next comes out in October.

I read that one and couldnt keep with it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Time to catch up!!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RatHat posted:

That's one of the series whose releases I most look forward to.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

RatHat posted:

On chapter 6 of this so far and really enjoying it. It's also very much one of those series where I think, "Why is this (technically) an Isekai again instead of just playing it straight?"

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I hate being in pain, so I think I'll make a full defense build is about a girl who doesn't play video games getting dragged into an MMO by her friend, and accidentally becoming incredibly broken by putting everything into defense.

The main character is cute+dumb, and nothing terrible is happening to anyone.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TheFireMagi posted:

On chapter 6 of this so far and really enjoying it. It's also very much one of those series where I think, "Why is this (technically) an Isekai again instead of just playing it straight?"

There is...exactly, like, one moment where it comes up and matters? And even then it's not all that relevant.

The entire thing is great, though, I love his family.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

I forgot what thread this was, and I only looked at the url which read sa...ladin.

I can't tell you how disappointed I once discovered you linked to another crappily drawn and written fantasy comic.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I forgot what thread this was, and I only looked at the url which read sa...ladin.

I can't tell you how disappointed I once discovered you linked to another crappily drawn and written fantasy comic.

Perhaps almost as disappointed as I was to see you post in a thread I follow.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

One of my favourite gags in the Cromartie High manga is when the series editor meets with the author about a ranking crisis. If they don't raise his comic ranking, the series will be cancelled! Looking at the customer feedback, all the reviews mention the best feature of his work is that it can be quickly skipped. His editor cuts his pages in half, and his monthly ranking skyrockets! Full of enthusiasm now, the editor cuts ALL the pages, and he's never been so popular!

You should take this to heart.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I hate being in pain, so I think I'll make a full defense build is about a girl who doesn't play video games getting dragged into an MMO by her friend, and accidentally becoming incredibly broken by putting everything into defense.

The main character is cute+dumb, and nothing terrible is happening to anyone.
I recommend you do on purpose what I did on accident: within the first few pages, start reading her dialog as Osaka from Azumanga Daioh.

In a side note on game-related ones, I thought this one was stupid until it somehow accidentally turned into a documentary about lovely game programming:
https://mangadex.org/title/14408/kono-sekai-ga-game-da-to-ore-dake-ga-shitteiru

I was a bit "meh" until I realized his cheat skill is literally just cheating a game he's ground to death. In particular, the start of this section is horrific buggy poo poo 101:
https://mangadex.org/chapter/359052/6
This all had to have come from somewhere. I am having a hard time thinking somebody made this all up. Don't mind me if I ever post The Stalker Mary Dojo in a programming thread.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Like look at how the artist introduces a loving cathedral for the character to live in, but manages to make it look teensy.

Also they found either the ugliest cathedral in the world to use as a model or just threw in a bunch of poo poo together. Two cupolas :barf:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 4, 2018

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

BravestOfTheLamps hosed around with this message at Sep 4, 2018 around 02:40

When you need 8 min to really put the finishing touches on the shitpost

:frogout:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
personally acceptable shitposting, apparently, takes time.

I'm having a night in drinking, will read the lovely broken programming isekai in a bit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The one with the middle aged dude in a vrmmo(character name is Earth, I forget the actual name of the manga atm) is pretty chill and lacks all the drama and shenanigans most isekai have. A harem attempts to coalesce around him but he's all nah son and escapes to go on adventures with his bird friend

Translations occasionally dip into unreadable though

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I dropped that one sometime in the past 6 months.
Not sure why, it was good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The updates became very sporadic so I can see falling off it.

Edit: i recall folks discussing a slime-based isekai at one point, is it "tensei shitara slime datta hen"? The first chapter is intriguing, and I am a sucker for monster folk like the goblins who just showed up in the second chapter given a personality instead of being solid blood-red-eyed screaming ragefaces until they get cut to bits like most fantasy things. The horrible doom dragon being like a bored kid who got grounded in their room for a few centuries is great too

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 8, 2018

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I quit trying to decipher the awful translation and dropped that one but it had gotten less interesting at the point with the fairy queen or whoever hanging around him all the time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Everything Burrito posted:

I quit trying to decipher the awful translation and dropped that one but it had gotten less interesting at the point with the fairy queen or whoever hanging around him all the time.
You might want to catch up then, that has an interesting resolution.

My favorite parts of it were less the epic battles or whatever and more his grinding and crafting because it somehow made it interesting. The way he'd try and fail to do things and blow himself up repeatedly trying to craft, say, magical grenades or something, was rather endearing.

I do feel like it's going to step out into the real world at some point though with the occasional allusions to the company that runs the vrmmo and their tests with AI.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I prefer Only Sense Online to VRMMO, but they’re both pretty decent.

And yeah that’s the Slime Guy manga. Even the orcs get decent treatment, basically all the monsters are shown to be people.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mors Rattus posted:

I prefer Only Sense Online to VRMMO, but they’re both pretty decent.
Yea I like OSO more.. both feature crafters with pets but Yun teams up while Earth pretty much breezes through everything

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in oso, an unpopular build is barely adequate even in ideal conditions. in vrmmo, an unpopular build is secretly the strongest but no one else ever figures this out for no particular reason. they are both quite inoffensive, but oso is a lot less :jackbud:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

OSO definitely makes it clear why all these particular options are individually considered bad, and why it takes their specific secrets and synergies to make them viable for Playing A Solo Character Effectively, though they are far from OP, yeah.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in vrmmo, an unpopular build is secretly the strongest but no one else ever figures this out for no particular reason.

Because he always solos, when he destroyed that dude in chapter one or two with his skills everyone started to switch to his classes, and when he discovers thing they spread through the rest of the world. People do copy him, but he tends to never show anyone anything.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah he specifically avoids things that will attract attention or only helps npcs on the condition they don't spread the word. But, well, sometimes it's unavoidable (like with the cloud beasts in a recent chapter)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I haven't read this series, but the question isn't "why does no one copy him?" it's "why has no one else in the player-base ever independently discovered that this is good?" MMOs are not a genre known for having secretly OP builds. There are lots of people constantly trying everything in hopes of gaining even a marginal advantage.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 9, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
based on how he's gone through things, it's a game that allows for obscene amounts of customization, like he custom made his knife shoes all on his own through trial and error in the blacksmith, they weren't just "spiky shoes of the whale" or something. So his route in particular just might be him being real good and clever in general, not just him finding the one weird trick. iirc at one point one of the devs monitoring things commented he was an odd one out, so it could just be that he's more creative than other players the manga has shown. Also it has mentioned in passing other high-level players accomplishing things like world firsts before he does, so he's not the only top tier player out there, just one of them that the series focuses on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aw, the fairly nonstandard humanoid goblins in the slime manga just turned into kinda goblin-ish humans, bummer

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

based on how he's gone through things, it's a game that allows for obscene amounts of customization, like he custom made his knife shoes all on his own through trial and error in the blacksmith, they weren't just "spiky shoes of the whale" or something. So his route in particular just might be him being real good and clever in general, not just him finding the one weird trick. iirc at one point one of the devs monitoring things commented he was an odd one out, so it could just be that he's more creative than other players the manga has shown. Also it has mentioned in passing other high-level players accomplishing things like world firsts before he does, so he's not the only top tier player out there, just one of them that the series focuses on.

That's cool as gently caress.

Also the undead parents series features the protagonist having a wet dream about his zombie mom. I understand now that I should have waited until intimations of incestuous necrophilia before I was properly qualified to call it "crappily written".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in a game with free form crafting, earth is the only person who ever even tries to do free form crafting. not a single other person ever tries to do weird dumb experiments with the game systems everyone has equal access to. the combined creativity and inspiration of the human race sans earth comes down to "durrrrrrr, i'll make a sword +1".

the mc can only be special when everyone around him is written to be unnaturally stupid.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Captain Invictus posted:

based on how he's gone through things, it's a game that allows for obscene amounts of customization,
so why does no one else do that

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jackard posted:

so why does no one else do that

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the mc can only be special when everyone around him is written to be unnaturally stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also the undead parents series features the protagonist having a wet dream about his zombie mom. I understand now that I should have waited until intimations of incestuous necrophilia before I was properly qualified to call it "crappily written".

I remember reading the light novel once because I heard praise for it and I was curious to see an example of something in the genre that was being touted as good.

And, well, it certainly had that.