Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

B33rChiller posted:

Have you considered shilling matresses, or one of those cook your own delivery food services? Seems to be all the rage these days.

For some reason I've always thought it would be funny for a podcast to only have local ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Just listening to the Goon Hawaii episode as an entry point - the decision to have different voices for each forum poster is a lot of fun. Subscribed!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Piquai Souban posted:

Just listening to the Goon Hawaii episode as an entry point - the decision to have different voices for each forum poster is a lot of fun. Subscribed!
I recognize a lot of FPlus voices in there.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

pangstrom posted:

I recognize a lot of FPlus voices in there.

Frank West is a friend. Thanks all for the kind words!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
A long time ago I found a site that let me put in an RSS feed and it would give me a new feed that would "release" episodes in whatever order and however often I wanted. For example I could start listening to the Adventure Zone when there were already 150 episodes and have it start from the first episode and "release" the next episode chronologically every three days.

Well I got a new phone and now I can't remember that site.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey, fans of Last Podcast on the Left, can you tell me whereabout they start cutting back on the rampant rape and race based jokes? I listened to their five part Jonestown series and I thought it was great. So I went back and tried to listen to their earlier episodes and I just can't endure it. I've heard that there was a point where they cut back on it.

And as a side recommend: the Last Podcast on the Left's five part Jonestown series is really good.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

credburn posted:

Hey, fans of Last Podcast on the Left, can you tell me whereabout they start cutting back on the rampant rape and race based jokes? I listened to their five part Jonestown series and I thought it was great. So I went back and tried to listen to their earlier episodes and I just can't endure it. I've heard that there was a point where they cut back on it.

And as a side recommend: the Last Podcast on the Left's five part Jonestown series is really good.

I started listening around the 9/11 episodes (~Sep 2015), and I remember reading complaints on their forum about how they were becoming "too PC"

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

credburn posted:

Somewhere between Panzram / Pickton / Jonestown is where I can recommend shows without a ton of caveats, barring their weird blind spot around Henry's Charles Ng character.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Imagined posted:

A long time ago I found a site that let me put in an RSS feed and it would give me a new feed that would "release" episodes in whatever order and however often I wanted. For example I could start listening to the Adventure Zone when there were already 150 episodes and have it start from the first episode and "release" the next episode chronologically every three days.

Well I got a new phone and now I can't remember that site.

If anyone cares, the answer turned out to be Recast This.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Anyone know if one of those True Crime podcasts took an extended look at the Amanda Knox trial in Italy?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Real Crime Profile

Edit: Starts at episode 37

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 26, 2018

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Yeah I found it, that's the good stuff ty

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
What I liked about Welcome to Night Vale in the beginning were the surreal little monologues from Cecil where he mused to himself about mundane subjects and then paired it with the desert imagery. Are there any other podcasts that do something similar to this?

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

mike12345 posted:

Anyone know if one of those True Crime podcasts took an extended look at the Amanda Knox trial in Italy?

Human Tornada posted:

Real Crime Profile

Edit: Starts at episode 37

If I recall, they don't really cover Amanda Knox's trial, since they solidly believe Knox and Sollecito got railroaded and the media's fixation on Knox distracts from both the victim and actual killer. They definitely cover the case and evidence though and talk at length about Meredith Kercher and Rudy Guede.

I've listened to a ton of true crime podcasts, here are some recs.

Casefile -- Probably the easiest one to recommend, very much a straightforward telling of true crime stories delivered with a lovely Australian accent. "Case 86: Amy Allwine" is a good entry episode.

Criminal -- Excellent if you prefer a broad definition of true crime that isn't always murder (but may be murder). Almost every ep is worth listening to, but as an entry point, "Money Tree" is good.

My Favorite Murder -- Skip this one if you don't like listening to hosts shoot the poo poo. But if you like the feeling of chatting with your good friends, Karen and Georgia, this may be up your alley. Entry ep: "129 - Coincidence Island" or "125 - Bedside Astrologer."

True Crime Garage -- The main selling point is the hosts pop out a two-parter every week, which is impressively efficient. Main drawback is one of the hosts is kind of a dumb guy. The other one knows what he's doing at least. Entry: probably "193/194 Lululemon Murder."

Generation Why -- Pretty good, if you can stand the fact that the hosts sometimes have godawful opinions about cases (ex. Amanda Knox, Kendrick Johnson, Brendan Dassey). Entry ep: not sure, maybe "The Springfield Three."

Real Crime Profile -- Gripping, if you can stand that Jim Clemente sometimes yells at, talks down to, and mansplains at the other hosts, and that Lisa actually occasionally says things dumb enough to warrant that kind of treatment. Entry: their deep dive into the Meredith Kercher murder, as mentioned previously.

The Vanished -- Strictly covers disappearances, and often obscure ones (since the host wants to use the podcast to draw attention to some cases in hopes of helping to get them solved). Be warned that the episodes aren't very tightly written, especially since they use a lot of audio from family members. Entry point: maybe "Episodes 114/115: Christopher Abeyta Part 1 and 2."

Single -story podcast:

Dirty John -- A wild ride.

Done Disappeared -- Enough has already been said about the incomparable vision of the host, John David Booter.

I'm trying Teacher's Pet next.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 29, 2018

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The Teacher's Pet was interesting. I have some thoughts about what happened.

There is a new one called Framed that is about the disappearance of a teenage boy at a grocery store he worked out. They do read some of the trial transcripts, etc.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Wildeyes posted:

Criminal -- Excellent if you prefer a broad definition of true crime that isn't always murder (but may be murder). Almost every ep is worth listening to, but as an entry point, "Money Tree" is good.

This is a weird complaint, but to me, Criminal feels almost too "smooth" for a podcast. It's slick to the point where it's off-putting. From the audio quality to the pro-sounding voice of the narrator. Idk. I realize it's weird, maybe I like my podcasts a bit rough around the edges, especially when it's about emotional themes like murder. Industrial perfection makes it seem cold, cynical.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Totally the opposite. I'm a big radio fan and there's some really good radio out there. It's silly to complain about unprofessionalism in an amateur medium, but if you're an amateur surely you love what you do, right? I feel like the rough around the edges stuff is basically just disrespectful to the audience and their limited time.

(ps criminal is one of the best in the biz)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Monkey tennis.
Strictly for fans of Alan partridge who want to reminisce about ‘I’m Alan partridge’ and other shows.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wildeyes posted:

If I recall, they don't really cover Amanda Knox's trial, since they solidly believe Knox and Sollecito got railroaded and the media's fixation on Knox distracts from both the victim and actual killer. They definitely cover the case and evidence though and talk at length about Meredith Kercher and Rudy Guede.

I've listened to a ton of true crime podcasts, here are some recs.

Casefile -- Probably the easiest one to recommend, very much a straightforward telling of true crime stories delivered with a lovely Australian accent. "Case 86: Amy Allwine" is a good entry episode.

My Favorite Murder -- Skip this one if you don't like listening to hosts shoot the poo poo. But if you like the feeling of chatting with your good friends, Karen and Georgia, this may be up your alley. Entry ep: "129 - Coincidence Island" or "125 - Bedside Astrologer."

True Crime Garage -- The main selling point is the hosts pop out a two-parter every week, which is impressively efficient. Main drawback is one of the hosts is kind of a dumb guy. The other one knows what he's doing at least. Entry: probably "193/194 Lululemon Murder."

Generation Why -- Pretty good, if you can stand the fact that the hosts sometimes have godawful opinions about cases (ex. Amanda Knox, Kendrick Johnson, Brendan Dassey). Entry ep: not sure, maybe "The Springfield Three."

Real Crime Profile -- Gripping, if you can stand that Jim Clemente sometimes yells at, talks down to, and mansplains at the other hosts, and that Lisa actually occasionally says things dumb enough to warrant that kind of treatment. Entry: their deep dive into the Meredith Kercher murder, as mentioned previously.

The Vanished -- Strictly covers disappearances, and often obscure ones (since the host wants to use the podcast to draw attention to some cases in hopes of helping to get them solved). Be warned that the episodes aren't very tightly written, especially since they use a lot of audio from family members. Entry point: maybe "Episodes 114/115: Christopher Abeyta Part 1 and 2."

Single -story podcast:

Dirty John -- A wild ride.

Done Disappeared -- Enough has already been said about the incomparable vision of the host, John David Booter.

I'm trying Teacher's Pet next.

A good list and I agree with most things you’ve said. I’m liking Generation Why and Casefile quite a bit but find GW has a bit more discussion where as Casefile is very matter of fact. I’m from New Zealand too so the Australian accent is no draw.

I actually find Criminal to be quite sincere most of the time but I know what you mean.

Swindled could be added to this list even though it’s more about scams and stuff. Great dead-pan delivery and really ties in how awful some of these people are. Someone further up recommended it, so thank you.

Speaking of weird delivery and production: Conspiracy Theories and Cults. It’s just so weird to me how these shows come across.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Small Town Dicks is a great true crime show I just discovered. Lisa Simpson's voice actor cohosts, and her fiance is a detective with a twin brother detective - violent crimes and sex crimes - and they talk about their most interesting cases.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Both the Loveline and Coast to Coast threads are dead and gone but I just want to 'podtalk' about them. I love them both so much. Its thanks to this forum years ago that I chanced upon both. NZ didn't have either. +I was a generation too young lol.
Loveline:
-the social attitudes of the hosts has definitely aged poorly. Bi erasing, trans jokes, leery Carolla. But they are still pretty drat progressive for their day.
-chemistry between adam and board certified drew is top tier. it wasn't until jah and seth that i found such a pairing.
-the show is /r/relationships twenty years earlier.
-all the 90s and early 00s bands being greased up by adam. and feeling like their wave is going to last forever. just young guys and gals on the top of the world. also ska.
-pre 9/11 ridiculousness. no bush II. no iraq. christ, no obama, no financial crisis. until the 9/11 episodes. this also stands for coast to coast am.
- its a full time capsule of teen and 20something absolute bullshit. bad relationships, stoned dudes dropping out of college, worried couples, confused kids without the internet to google. also they are all like 46 years old now lol. I'm 29. which is still so young but i'm starting to feel misty eyed for my early 20s and such. it passes so quickly.
-the ads, the promotions and the surrounding media like the prominence of mtv and network television news stations. its all so perpendicular to the cultural environment of the late 2010s.
-I'd, and other superfans (lol) would agree that adam and drews tenure was the best. late 90s, early 00s. its hard to collect raw audios pre 2001. i want to get as much as i can. especially digging back into 1995 or whenever a joined in.
-the length is perfect. one hour and twenty minutes. its just enough time to settle in to bed and drift off to sleep. or to fly from wellington to auckland. i think it influenced how long i enjoy my podcasts too. if i ever made my own it would be 1:20:00.
-it reminds me of late night talk lounge. which was a cult talkback radio show in the early 00s here in nz. bomber, sez, talking to youth about the gay, uni, strife.

Coast to Coast AM:
-its like all the good stuff that alex jones ruined by existing. the 90s was beautiful for ufos and ghosts. pre youtube. i mean, a lot of this doesn't have to be said to you guys. but its like messy audio copypasta. i'm sure there is some fin copypasta/spooky talk podcasts out there. but i have an allergy to sq___ sp___ and legal z___ and any other lovely lovely ad. i can consume bad 90s ads however. they sound all echo-ey and spooky as they are.
-art bell. oh gosh! the self indulgence of the man. the way he took Radio so seriously. it was so lovely. the HAM community. he was actually a freaking amazing interviewer too. he would guide but never interrupt. and he would say things like "now i want to go back to that" "now i want to hold you down on this. you are saying there are actual photos on the internet?" it was hardly an inquisition but its enough to help suspend judgement and just enjoy ufos. a soothing radio voice too.
-the atmosphere is pitch perfect. truckers on deserted highways. i've barreled down the #1 through desert road in winter after midnight in a crappy student car, with only trucks for company. i feel i get the vibe. hell. its raining heavily after midnight right now and i'm listening to crop circles with dr. simeon hein. whom i will never google because i don't want to know how bunk he is. i want to believe. coast to coast episodes are long as gently caress. some are 4 hours. most are at least 2. so you've got plenty of doozy time to be lulled into the atmosphere.
-the quantity. there are only so many coast to coast am shows. I've got, according to VLC, 1551:40:29 hours on my laptop. I'm sure there is a quite a bit more out there. Or maybe this is all the art bell on the internet. the show started in 1984 and my earliest shows are 1993.
-its so far removed from my life that its perfect tune in and drop out material. its not about relationships, its not about politics, its not about social justice or issues or climate change--- ok maybe that last one.
-dodo dododododo dodoodo.

anyway, thanks for giving me somewhere to write this. cheerio!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Beautiful, I can always appreciate such a passion. I never listened to these, and I don't think they're my type of media but I do know lots of people who grew up around this stuff and swear by it. It must've been such a strange time to be on radio, not that any of them would know just how much things would change in such a short time.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Pretty much all anyone does in the Adam carolla podcast thread anymore besides laughing at adam is discussing that kinda stuff just post friend

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lampsacus posted:

You have perfectly summed up what makes those shows great :3: Loveline and Coast to Coast are so soothing and comfy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Any good podcasts that interview people that work in animation? Writers/artists/animators/showrunners on stuff like Adventure Time or even older stuff like Rugrats or adult animation like The Venture Bros.?

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

calandryll posted:

The Teacher's Pet was interesting. I have some thoughts about what happened.

Were you able to get through the entire thing? I tried several episodes but quickly found that the host was spinning his wheels and repeating the same things over and over. I know he was probably extending the length of the podcast to keep media attention on the case, but it got tiring. All of this could have easily been covered in a two-parter.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I did keep up with it but you are right he does repeat a lot. I think part of that comes from, as you suggested, trying to keep it in the media. But also as this garnered more attention more and more people coming to speak out about it.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Franchescanado posted:

Any good podcasts that interview people that work in animation? Writers/artists/animators/showrunners on stuff like Adventure Time or even older stuff like Rugrats or adult animation like The Venture Bros.?

This is just a one-off about animators but Struggle Session is just really good and listenable anyway, so just give this one a try. It's more about "the biz" than the process of animating.

https://soundcloud.com/struggle-session-618688589/episode-89-disney-animators-strike

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

https://www.drawnpodcast.com

Been enjoying this one.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Are there any good organised crime podcasts that are a bit more general than Mafia or Crimetown? I'm really looking for something that gives an overview as well as stories from several different groups worldwide, like the Mexican Cartels, Yakuza etc as well as the US/Italian Mafia. I know of Our Thing but it's not on Podcast Addict.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I didn't ask for this but it seems like a cool suggestion. Going to give it a go once I finish catching up with Lingthusiasm.

Speaking of which it's a linguistics podcast without quite the charm of Lexicon Valley. It's pretty good, though one of the hosts is a bit too much of a personality at times for me. Still it can be pretty interesting and overall it's well-done.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Does anyone have any MP3 player reccomendations? I try to listen to stuff on an MP3 player in the car to save data on my phone. My current one doesn't save my place in the file, which is bullshit for podcasts.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Bean posted:

Does anyone have any MP3 player reccomendations? I try to listen to stuff on an MP3 player in the car to save data on my phone. My current one doesn't save my place in the file, which is bullshit for podcasts.

You should be able to use any podcatcher app to download the files to your phone and delete them as you finish them rather than streaming them. I use an old version of beyondpod.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
What are the current stitcher premium coupon codes?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'd seriously look into burner phones. You can probably snag a Samsung J3 or similar low end Android for $50. No need to activate it, just use it on wifi. That way you can use one of the many free Android apps to manage your stuff.

Otherwise, the cheapest Fire tablet is $50 and occasionally drops to $35. Same deal as the burner, you'll get access to apps to manage your stuff and pay the same as you would for an mp3 player.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

God bless the What a Time to Be Alive podcast's clip show episode. I completely forgot about the WIDOWMAKER toilet setting. I drat near collapsed at work laughing at that.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Does I Don’t Even Own A Television ever get better than just..mildly interesting? Most of the episodes I’ve listened to have just been directionless rambling about random parts of the book broken up by unnecessary “breaks” and forced segments who seem to exist solely so the host can make a new jingle.

Granted, these are episodes from the beginning , so maybe the show finds its groove, but if this is the way it’s going to be I’d rather tap out now.

(Yes I’ve heard the RPO and Armada episodes)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Brocktoon posted:

Does I Don’t Even Own A Television ever get better than just..mildly interesting? Most of the episodes I’ve listened to have just been directionless rambling about random parts of the book broken up by unnecessary “breaks” and forced segments who seem to exist solely so the host can make a new jingle.

Granted, these are episodes from the beginning , so maybe the show finds its groove, but if this is the way it’s going to be I’d rather tap out now.

(Yes I’ve heard the RPO and Armada episodes)

That’s pretty much my takeaway too. They put in a lot of work but it’s not really the kind of show where you need to listen to every episode. Some books like RPO or Armada work great, but other times they pick books that are bad but not for interesting reasons. I dropped out at “Condominium” as it was an hour of pretty much nothing. I think the time commitment in reading a book is enough that it’s harder for them to scrap a book than it would be for a bad movie podcast to skip over a film.

I need to go back and listen to some more, “Cybernarc” looks fun.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Are there any podcasts discussing new book releases (fiction*), or maybe focus on one book specifically for a couple episodes?

* not scifi or fantasy, but more highbrow stuff like Pynchon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I like IDEOTV, but yeah, a whole lot of their episodes are a slog. I could probably put together a list of episodes that are worth listening to when I have the time.