Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SonicRulez posted:

Bullets still reach up there. Gotta press circle and interrupt the animation all the same. Luckily, I got an ability to disarm henchmen! Oh wait, it also needs me to have 2 seconds of nothing happening so I can do that. One at a time.

You have a lot of tools to create space and buy time, even without that. The game just outright hands you Web Blossom at the start if you repair Spidey's classic suit, which is basically a screen-clearing nuke. You can zip around the room, drop off of rooftops to circle around at a new angle, stagger a distant gunman with a single Web Shooter hit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting better, I'm just pissed that impact webbing is limited. I spammed the gently caress out of that in SM2, and now being limited to a couple shots (then waiting for more to regen) is killing me... literally, and then I have to wait through a load screen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sticksy posted:

Just want to echo this - having sunk hundreds of hours across multiple Arkham games, I’m still consistently thrown off by this. If they weren’t going to adopt the same button layout from the game that pioneered this, at least provide an option to.

You're going to die if you try to play it like Arkham so start learning the new system.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know it's thrilling for nerds to try and gg each other, but I'm not exactly stonewalled in the game here. I paid my $65, I can complain about whatever I want. Suit powers refill incredibly fast. Mashing Web Blossom will get me through just about every fight, yes, but it isn't very fun. Neither is throwing a punch and then jumping off the building (that I may not even be on) to run around. The combat system has its advantages and has its fun and no, it's not Arkham. It's not perfect though and I can acknowledge that without "Well actually SonicRulez, have you considered pressing the jump button?"

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

SonicRulez posted:

I know it's thrilling for nerds to try and gg each other, but I'm not exactly stonewalled in the game here. I paid my $65, I can complain about whatever I want. Suit powers refill incredibly fast. Mashing Web Blossom will get me through just about every fight, yes, but it isn't very fun. Neither is throwing a punch and then jumping off the building (that I may not even be on) to run around. The combat system has its advantages and has its fun and no, it's not Arkham. It's not perfect though and I can acknowledge that without "Well actually SonicRulez, have you considered pressing the jump button?"

Nice meltdown.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

There are valid complaints to be had with the combat system, especially later in the game once more dangerous basic enemies start showing up regularly. For real, gently caress Sable's mercenary squad right in the ear. Most of your complaints are clearly coming from a place of inexperience with a new system, and I can say that with some confidence because I was having the same problems myself early on.

Another handy tip is that you're a lot safer and a little faster if you try to use throwables from mid-air.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The biggest problem I have with the system is that honestly there isn't a lot of focus. They give you a lot of insanely powerful tools and unlike Arkham I'm never really like "I should be using (x) here." A lot of the gadgets feel kind of feel like interchangeable instant kill/instant stun attacks, the super moves are either borderline useless (Spider-Man Noir's ability where) or incredibly overpowered so it's never really fun to mix and match. Some of the moves are incredible and others feel like utterly meaningless. (The ability to remove enemy weapons would be nicer if at any point devoting that much attention to a gun guy wouldn't just leave them defeated anyway, even ignoring the instant-kill perfect dodge move.)

It's still a lot of fun to play but has a lot of stuff where I'm like "why did you bother with this?"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It does feel like a system that would benefit from some mechanic that actively rewarded you for keeping your combos varied, to encourage you to keep throwing out new moves and toying with new skills.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There is a reward for that, it’s called looking cool as hell and Spider-Manning fools.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Action is his reward.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Exclusive footage of TwoPair’s Spider-Man in action:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamePhysics/comments/9e5h1j/spiderman_mr_stark_i_dont_feel_so_good/

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Incorrect, my ragdolling body is in the Negative Spider costume :v:

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Is anyone else having trouble with QTEs? For example, in the "person trapped in an overturned truck" encounters, it tells me to hit triangle, which I definitely do before time is up, but nothing happens.

I'm aware that you can disable QTEs but I'm the weirdo that generally enjoys them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

quote:

Tyler Schultz approached Insomniac back in May, asking if the developer could help him propose to his girlfriend "in a big way". Amazingly, Marvel agreed, and the words "Maddie, will you marry me?" are indeed included on a movie theatre marquee in the final game.

Sadly, it seems the proposal did not quite go to plan, though. According to a video blog by Schultz - which also gives instructions on where to find the sign - Schultz's girlfriend allegedly left him just a few weeks before the game was released.

“The thing that sucks about this Easter egg is the date I’m making this video now, three, four weeks ago, my girlfriend dumped me to go with my brother, basically throwing away the five years we had together.” Schultz said. He said his girlfriend added that the video game message wasn’t the way she wanted to be proposed to, either.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Man, I feel bad for that guy. Must be depressing swinging past that cinema. Or seeing his brother's new girlfriend for that matter.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's like an Onion article come to life.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That is very sad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ZDar Fan posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with QTEs? For example, in the "person trapped in an overturned truck" encounters, it tells me to hit triangle, which I definitely do before time is up, but nothing happens.

I'm aware that you can disable QTEs but I'm the weirdo that generally enjoys them.

Are you missing the prompt to mash the hell out of square after the initial triangle?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

That cell shading is amazing spectacular

site fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 9, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Every strength QTE in the game is Square. Triangle is just to initiate it.

It helps to know that so you can start mashing before, like car chases and stuff.

Edit: In fact I guess all the QTEs are what that normal button does. Circle for dodging, L2/R2 for web slingshot stuff, R1 when you need to shoot.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

It really is jaw dropping how good that looks and I absolutely hope they´re working on a game in that style

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In Spider-Man's world it's just terrible luck being a Schultz.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lobok posted:

In Spider-Man's world it's just terrible luck being a Schultz.

That woman might still become one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

cant cook creole bream posted:

That woman might still become one.

Her marrying the guy's brother instead was quite the shocker.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Hahahaha, holy poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/EVComedy/status/1038486809737617408

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"With great power comes sweet photo ops"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay so wait is there a way to move the selfie camera POV? Because that seems to be at a higher angle than it usually is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Use the sticks.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I got the With Great Power trophy.

I need to lie down now.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
JJ's rants are glorious, the way he spins literally every single thing Pete does in a negative way. Spidey helps a sad old guy by collecting pigeons for his roost = SPIDER-MAN MUST EAT PIGEONS! Saving an apartment block from a dangerous steam pressure build up = VANDALISING PEOPLE'S HOMES!

Also Spidey's not-Twitter feed, goddamn.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spider-Selfies are like my favorite part of the game.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

This is a dumb question but it's really bugging me. Are the backpacks specific to location or are they specific to when you pick them up? Like the first 4 backpacks I picked up are "first date menu," "hospital bill," "nightclub vip card," and "thank you drawing." Is this the same for everyone else?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Specific to location. I just got the VIP card and it's like my 35th backpack, so it must be location

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
How do i trigger Selfie mode when taking photos?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

TwoPair posted:

Specific to location. I just got the VIP card and it's like my 35th backpack, so it must be location

Thanks!

I thought that was probably the case but because they display them based on when you got them, I thought there was a chance it was the other way. A singular bad design choice, but very obviously not game ruining and like I said, it's a dumb question.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

bunnyofdoom posted:

How do i trigger Selfie mode when taking photos?

When in photo mode, you change the camera type. It's on the first menu. Took me a second too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And while you can enter photo mode during cutscenes, you can't use the selfie camera there obviously. The cutscenes don't have the extra angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I gotta say, this is looking like the second best Spider-man game ever made.