Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The marketing folks never seemed to know what to do with it either, and I don’t think I’ll ever understand Disney pushing it out less than a month after Infinity War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well episode III beat episode 2, did episode 6 beat episode 5? I would think the pattern would hold

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Of course I fully expect Episode IX will drastically underperform both Force Awakens and Last Jedi, partly because I am stubborn.

It'll break every record, until the next Avengers breaks those records.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Solo had a lot smaller marketing campaign than the other 3 Disney Star Wars releases too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

It'll break every record, until the next Avengers breaks those records.

Oh, Infinity War 2 is probably doubt going to be the biggest movie of 2019. Even if Star Wars is successful, it won't beat everyone turning out to see the Avengers vs Thanos.

The only one I think could conceivably beat it is actually the Lion King live action movie.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, Infinity War 2 is probably doubt going to be the biggest movie of 2019. Even if Star Wars is successful, it won't beat everyone turning out to see the Avengers vs Thanos.

The only one I think could conceivably beat it is actually the Lion King live action movie.

I honestly hope that Avengers 4 bumps Avatar off the top of the all-time gross list because a movie that forgettable should not be the record holder.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i wouldnt be shocked if iw2 outsells ep 9. the new star wars trilogy is fun and there's the nostalgia factor and seeing the new crew interact is fun, plus i think there was a lot of sentimental value in seeing carrie fisher as leia one last time, but there's just so much riding on the finale for avengers and even as someone who's enjoyed eps 7 and 8 the stakes just seem totally inconsequential comparatively.

i mean, tchalla and peter fuckin died man, right after they had insanely popular movies. people are gonna come out to see them come back

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Star Wars is still bigger than the average solo Marvel movie, but not an Avengers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Of course I think Jumanji 3 could conceivably beat Star Wars 9, but that's because I'm a prick.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah.

You’re also probably wrong. Every whining rear end in a top hat will go see episode 9, because it has the words Star and Wars in the title.

Solo had little hype and cost too much money. 9 will do gangbusters.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Truth be told I'm just far too arrogant to admit that I might be wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Every thread my dude.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have an obsessive personality.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Just to preface this, I don't like Star Wars. The originals were fine, but I wasn't the right agw. I'd put them right next to Indiana Jones on the list of movies my dad made me watch that I enjoyed well enough and have no desire to ever watch again. With that being said, I got caught up in the Sequal trilogy hype because Disney are really good at marketing. And here's my issue with them, particularly Last Jedi. They knew it was going to be a trilogy. They KNEW there were going to be three movies. So why, in the name of Christ, did they not plan ahead!? Just have a basic outline of the story you want to tell? Instead of letting Rian Johnson do whatever he wanted, but lumbering him with the plot points in TFA which he clearly had no interest in. I just can't wrap my head around the logic there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t think it helped that TLJ had an ending that doesn’t even tease what the 9th movie will be about. I didn’t even know until after the fact that there was no studio plan going into TLJ so Rian Johnson had to come up with everything himself. At the end of Empire you at least had the understanding that the story of RotJ was going to start with rescuing Han.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh, but the best part of TLJ is actually how it just loving throws out all the dumb bullshit from TFA and lets Rian Johnson do whatever he wants.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Just to preface this, I don't like Star Wars. The originals were fine, but I wasn't the right agw. I'd put them right next to Indiana Jones on the list of movies my dad made me watch that I enjoyed well enough and have no desire to ever watch again. With that being said, I got caught up in the Sequal trilogy hype because Disney are really good at marketing. And here's my issue with them, particularly Last Jedi. They knew it was going to be a trilogy. They KNEW there were going to be three movies. So why, in the name of Christ, did they not plan ahead!? Just have a basic outline of the story you want to tell? Instead of letting Rian Johnson do whatever he wanted, but lumbering him with the plot points in TFA which he clearly had no interest in. I just can't wrap my head around the logic there.

Because JJ Abrams is a moron.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think they've always had a plan for how they want the whole thing to end - Daisy Ridley (and I think Mark Hamill as well) mentioned in a few interviews before TLJ came out about how Colin Treverrow had told her about how Rey's story would conclude in Episode IX when he was still on to write and direct (I think this would have been while TLJ was filming, so I don't imagine he would have been ignorant of its script).

Obviously Treverrow being sacked and replaced with Abrams and Carrie Fisher dying will have changed those plans. I remember reading that Johnson was going to write a treatment and possibly co-write the screenplay for IX at one stage but obviously that's out; Abrams presented some ideas for the sequels, but Johnson was apparently allowed to go in a different direction because Lucasfilm liked his approach better; we probably won't know the whole story until it's all done and dusted and Star Wars has been put into hibernation for a few yeas pending a reboot after Episode IX.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 9, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think they've always had a plan for how they want the whole thing to end - Daisy Ridley (and I think Mark Hamill as well) mentioned in a few interviews before TLJ came out about how Colin Treverrow had told her about how Rey's story would conclude in Episode IX when he was still on to write and direct (I think this would have been while TLJ was filming, so I don't imagine he would have been ignorant of its script).

Obviously Treverrow being sacked and replaced with Abrams and Carrie Fisher dying will have changed those plans. I remember reading that Johnson was going to write a treatment and possibly co-write the screenplay for IX at one stage but obviously that's out; Abrams presented some ideas for the sequels, but Johnson was apparently allowed to change them because Lucasfilm liked his approach better; we probably won't know the whole story until it's all done and dusted and Star Wars has been put into hibernation for a few yeas pending a reboot after Episode IX.
Are they putting the films on ice after 9? I had not heard official confirmation. I know there is still movement on that Obi-Wan movie, just without Ewan McGregor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

Are they putting the films on ice after 9? I had not heard official confirmation. I know there is still movement on that Obi-Wan movie, just without Ewan McGregor.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Of course I think Jumanji 3 could conceivably beat Star Wars 9, but that's because I'm a prick.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess the lesson between the dcu collapsing and sw flailing is you can't just stick anyone as overall story editor and hope for the best

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

FlamingLiberal posted:

lol no, rian johnson has a new trilogy happening

there's going to be a new star wars every year or two until the earth dies

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soul Glo posted:

lol no, rian johnson has a new trilogy happening

If Episode IX doesn't do as well as Disney wants that thing's going to be cancelled before you can say "midichlorians".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I bet the Confederate trilogy and/or the favreau trilogy will go first

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Favreau is doing the tv series which they want to use as the big draw for their streaming service; I think it's probably safe.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

The actor who played Han couldn't even get his line "would that it were so simple" out. They had to change it to "it's complicated"

That seems like a change that makes sense for the character. Good actors and directors do that all the time.

VVV edit: yes, I should.

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 9, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chill Penguin posted:

That seems like a change that makes sense for the character. Good actors and directors do that all the time.

(you should watch Hail, Caesar!)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I wish I gave a poo poo about Star Wars. I wasn't the right age for the originals. Had no interest in the prequels. I finally get sat in a theater to watch one and it's The Last Jedi. And I thought it was a neat movie with one moment that resonated with me. A week goes by and it appears to be the most divisive thing ever with most of the channels I listen to falling pretty hard on "It sucks eggs" and being pretty adamant about that. It's this huge pop culture albatross that somehow finds its way into every other place I go for pop culture chat. It just sucks :negative:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Have you considered changing the channels you listen to?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I would if I were passionate about Star Wars, but after a while I just figured like how can literally everyone else be wrong? Not that I'm disregarding my own opinion. Just that it didn't seem like a hill worth dying on. Or fighting on. Or visiting from time to time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I would if I were passionate about Star Wars, but after a while I just figured like how can literally everyone else be wrong? Not that I'm disregarding my own opinion. Just that it didn't seem like a hill worth dying on. Or fighting on. Or visiting from time to time.

Generally speaking I find hating on TLJ to be pretty well correlated with vapid, shallow nitpicking at best. IIRC, basically everyone I followed for youtube film crit (Dan Olson, Jenny Nicholson, Lindsay Ellis, Movies with Mikey, MovieBob, Patrick (H) Willems, Lessons from the Screenplay...) were at 'somewhat liked' or above on TLJ.

Frankly I don't find the 'omg hyperspace ramming RUINS STAR WARS FOREVER' people to be worth anyone's time.

EDIT: They were decidedly more mixed on Infinity War, FWIW.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 9, 2018

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, I largely liked TLJ. It had some problems to be sure, but most of the complaints just seem... dumb. I saw a number of people who were bitching about hyperspace tracking being impossible, and it's like... they specifically addressed that in the movie. While Holdo not telling anybody the plan was pretty dumb, it's also not uncommon in movies and I don't see Tony in Homecoming getting anywhere near the same vitriol as she does. Frankly, the movie's biggest problem is that the pacing is all over the place.

I also like Solo, although I found myself disappointed at how it was less of a space western than I expected/hoped. I kinda hope the next spin-off movie leans into the influences a bit more.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

FlamingLiberal posted:

No that's just Wheat Loaf's posting gimmick.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

FWIW also, I don't think it's a weakness that TLJ doesn't end with a 'welp Han needs to be rescued' sort of obvious dangling plot thread. Rescuing Han was totally pointless to the themes of RotJ, and spending a bunch of running time on undoing a thing that everyone expected them to undo didn't help that film. (But hey, maybe you liked slave Leia...)

There's a lot of interesting ways Ep 9 might go, and I just hope they don't chicken out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

There's a lot of interesting ways Ep 9 might go, and I just hope they don't chicken out.

:v:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah I know.

But at least it's not Trevorrow.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

catlord posted:

While Holdo not telling anybody the plan was pretty dumb, it's also not uncommon in movies and I don't see Tony in Homecoming getting anywhere near the same vitriol as she does. Frankly, the movie's biggest problem is that the pacing is all over the place.

you might note that Homecoming takes the position that Tony hosed up and goes out of its way to show that while Tony was being a bad absentee surrogate father-figure he was also closely monitoring what Peter was up to and took his opinions seriously, whereas TLJ treats Holdo's insane expectations of unquestioning-duty-until-death in service of an obviously terrible plan as correct

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fangz posted:

FWIW also, I don't think it's a weakness that TLJ doesn't end with a 'welp Han needs to be rescued' sort of obvious dangling plot thread. Rescuing Han was totally pointless to the themes of RotJ, and spending a bunch of running time on undoing a thing that everyone expected them to undo didn't help that film. (But hey, maybe you liked slave Leia...)

I really didn't like the way it ended because it felt like the story was wrapped up for now, to the point where we would need a time jump or something. The entire Resistance/Republic fleet is gone, there are like 12 people left in Leia's group on the Falcon, and nobody responded to their distress calls. It feels like you would need more than one movie to wrap up everything since it feels like it's almost starting from scratch again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LGD posted:

you might note that Homecoming takes the position that Tony hosed up and goes out of its way to show that while Tony was being a bad absentee surrogate father-figure he was also closely monitoring what Peter was up to and took his opinions seriously, whereas TLJ treats Holdo's insane expectations of unquestioning-duty-until-death in service of an obviously terrible plan as correct

Holdo kept her plan secret for the obvious reason of the moment someone found out about the plan they leaked it, which lead to the plan failing when someone revealed it to the Empire.

Edit: Excuse me, the First Order, legally distinct from the Empire.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As far as next year's superhero movies go, I think the one I'm actually most interested by is Glass. It'll be fun to see Samuel L. Jackson back in that role and McAvoy was great in Split. Who knows, maybe Shyamalan will even get a non-bored performance out of Bruce Willis. :v:

• Locked thread