Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Holdo didn't share her plan with the total fuckup that just lost their entire bomber fleet while disobeying direct orders, indirectly leading to Leia being incapacitated. If I had to nitpick, my question is why Holdo didn't just execute Poe on the spot.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really didn't like the way it ended because it felt like the story was wrapped up for now, to the point where we would need a time jump or something. The entire Resistance/Republic fleet is gone, there are like 12 people left in Leia's group on the Falcon, and nobody responded to their distress calls. It feels like you would need more than one movie to wrap up everything since it feels like it's almost starting from scratch again.

I thought the film was heavily alluding to the idea that there's not going to be a military solution to the problem. If it's about the First Order imploding in a frenzy of internal backstabbing that would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fangz posted:

I thought the film was heavily alluding to the idea that there's not going to be a military solution to the problem. If it's about the First Order imploding in a frenzy of internal backstabbing that would work.
I mean, maybe? But now the First Order is being run by a wacked-out, pissed off Kylo Ren, so I can't imagine how that would work.

The most disappointing thing to me in TLJ was the fakeout of Kylo and Rey working together (whether it was just to destroy everyone, or Kylo turning away from the dark side). Now THAT would have been a very interesting idea if they had followed through on it for the next film. Instead it's (presumably) more of Kylo trying to hunt down Rey and her buddies.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean, maybe? But now the First Order is being run by a wacked-out, pissed off Kylo Ren, so I can't imagine how that would work.

But that's exactly why the First Order seems likely to fall apart? Snoke was the manipulator, cleverly playing people off against each other, commanding the respect of the disparate factions. Now the First Order is being run by a manchild who everyone fears but *also disrespects*.

quote:

The most disappointing thing to me in TLJ was the fakeout of Kylo and Rey working together (whether it was just to destroy everyone, or Kylo turning away from the dark side). Now THAT would have been a very interesting idea if they had followed through on it for the next film. Instead it's (presumably) more of Kylo trying to hunt down Rey and her buddies.

... that's the best thing what are you talking about.

(It's not 'more of Kylo trying to hunt down Rey and her buddies', it's 'Kylo Ren, Vader cosplayer and RULER OF THE GALAXY')

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 9, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kylo Ren is basically a school shooter. He just wants to murder those he hates. Rey working with Ren wouldn’t be good for her, unless she likes killing Jedi kids (which I’m sure the next one is about)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Holdo kept her plan secret for the obvious reason of the moment someone found out about the plan they leaked it, which lead to the plan failing when someone revealed it to the Empire.

Edit: Excuse me, the First Order, legally distinct from the Empire.

keeping a secret plan secret obviously makes sense, but thats different from continuously saying "trust me" while your fleet loses crew and material, disclosing no information to make people think you have a plan, and failing at leadership so badly that (non-Poe) members of your own command staff mutiny because they don't know whats going on and by all appearances you're leading them straight to their deaths

it was only "leaked" because large portions of remaining Rebellion were trying to work around their completely uncommunicative and uninspiring command structure

this is further exacerbated by the "secret plan" being farcically terrible and obvious/unworkable even by very generous saturday-morning-cartoon logic standards - i.e. the movie takes a very "blame Poe!" standpoint but Holdo's plan would have had the same result if any First Order ship bothered to press the "scan" button, any random First Order crewman had looked out the window, or any First Order commander had said "hey, maybe we should investigate that planet the Rebel fleet has been flying directly toward for the last few days of slow pursuit"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

you seem bad at watching movies

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

By large portions, you mean Poe, Finn, and Rose.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Arist posted:

you seem bad at watching movies

I understand what the movie wants to convey, I'm just saying that due to incompetence it thoroughly undermines its intended message (which I should reiterate is terrible)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

LGD posted:

I understand what the movie wants to convey, I'm just saying that due to incompetence it thoroughly undermines its intended message (which I should reiterate is terrible)

Nah

e: gently caress it, I'll bite: what's the "terrible" message being conveyed here, lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I for one cant wait to see how the first order deals with being at half strength after the snappening

Will steve finally settle down with agent carter or will he spend his days cleaning up the imperial remnants with his bf bucky

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

LGD posted:

keeping a secret plan secret obviously makes sense, but thats different from continuously saying "trust me" while your fleet loses crew and material, disclosing no information to make people think you have a plan, and failing at leadership so badly that (non-Poe) members of your own command staff mutiny because they don't know whats going on and by all appearances you're leading them straight to their deaths
Yes thank you. I know some people have said 'well, if you are in the military you should be following orders without question', and I agree with that, but they spell it out very clearly that this is a crisis situation. The leadership of the Resistance just got shot out into space (minus Holdo), and their ships are running out of fuel. Just saying 'trust me, and keep a steady course' without any further explanation when your fellow soldiers are dying around you is not good enough.

I also really wish that Leia had been the one to suicide-jump into the massive flagship instead of Holdo. Would have been a more fitting ending for her, although who knows what they are going to do in Ep 9. Supposedly they are going to use some of her appearances from unused TLJ footage.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The full title of Episode IX will be Star Wars: Episode IX: Here Comes Thanos.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Fangz posted:

By large portions, you mean Poe, Finn, and Rose.
Poe was the only one of those three there when Holdo and her staff were relieved of command at gunpoint by a group of pilots and junior staff

Arist posted:

Nah

e: gently caress it, I'll bite: what's the "terrible" message being conveyed here, lol

you should unquestioning trust authority figures because they know better than you, even when they give you no reason to believe that's the case, the evidence suggests otherwise, and they refuse to explain or justify themselves

that's the extremely obvious message of that entire subplot

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 9, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

The full title of Episode IX will be Star Wars: Episode IX: Here Comes Thanos.
That sounds a lot more potentially interesting than we're likely to get with Abrams being given the job to finish this odd trilogy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If it's inexcusable that Holdo didn't tell Poe her plan, why is it okay that Poe didn't tell Holdo his plan? A plan of 'go to some planet, recruit a hacker, attack the huge enemy ship and disable the scanner at just the right moment to escape, hoping the enemy doesn't shoot down the shuttle as it leaves, or as it goes in to attack, or that they don't fail to recruit the hacker, or the hacker isn't an enemy agent, or...'

I mean doesn't Poe's plan literally depend on the exact same thing that Holdo's plan did (that of the First Order not being able to track small craft) except it is ten times more complicated and risky?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 9, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

LGD posted:

Poe was the only one there when Holdo and her staff were relieved of command at gunpoint

you should unquestioning trust authority figures because they know better than you, even when they give you no reason to believe that's the case and refuse to explain themselves

That's not the lesson. You're really bad at watching movies.

Poe's entire arc is about accepting that in this situation he can't be the reckless hero because there's always a cost to that poo poo, but he presses on anyway because he doesn't like or trust Holdo for bullshit reasons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LGD posted:

you should unquestioning trust authority figures because they know better than you, even when they give you no reason to believe that's the case, the evidence suggests otherwise, and they refuse to explain or justify themselves

that's the extremely obvious message of that entire subplot

No it isn't. The film does not say "trust authority figures without question" and certainly not in the *exact same film where they point out the Resistance is buying weapons from war merchants.*

The entire point is that Poe demanded to be told things after being proven himself untrustworthy and viewed things as "I'm the right hero who is always right" (with the meta-text of 'because that's how it works in these kind of films') only for it in fact to turn out to be entirely wrong. Their one in a million desperate effort didn't help, the charming rogue they met in a prison cell turned out to be more interested in profit than having a heart of gold, and Poe disliking being given orders turned out to be because he was an arrogant hothead, not because the orders were wrong.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

And even if you're unable to accept that Holdo not telling Poe her plan was the right thing to do, the entire movie is about people making mistakes. I'm not saying that's necessarily a huge one on her part, but come on dude.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Arist posted:

And even if you're unable to accept that Holdo not telling Poe her plan was the right thing to do, the entire movie is about people making mistakes. I'm not saying that's necessarily a huge one on her part, but come on dude.

Indeed, the Leia/Holdo plan *fails*, because no one comes to the rescue when they send the signal out. Whatever happened with this Holdo thing, the maximum number of Resistance that were gonna be saved at the end of the day was the contents of the Milennium Falcon.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I really did not intend to spark another round of non-comics movie discussion. Please drop, Captain Marvel trailer. You're our only hope.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What is the likely timetable for the CM trailer? I suppose there any big high profile event they can attach it to before it comes out?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Fangz posted:

Indeed, the Leia/Holdo plan *fails*, because no one comes to the rescue when they send the signal out. Whatever happened with this Holdo thing, the maximum number of Resistance that were gonna be saved at the end of the day was the contents of the Milennium Falcon.

Not exactly: before Finn's group accidentally betrayed the plan, Leia and Holdo intended to hide out on the salt planet while a skeleton crew on the transport ship led the imperials away. They intended to broadcast a call for help, but it was help in regrouping, not a last stand.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

No it isn't. The film does not say "trust authority figures without question" and certainly not in the *exact same film where they point out the Resistance is buying weapons from war merchants.*

it absolutely does

the fact that this is contradictory doesn't mean much since this is the same film where Rose stops Finn from sacrificing himself because "love will save the day" and killing yourself can't possibly be the solution a few minutes after Holdo suicide bombs the First Order fleet

Arist posted:

Poe's entire arc is about accepting that in this situation he can't be the reckless hero because there's always a cost to that poo poo, but he presses on anyway because he doesn't like or trust Holdo for bullshit reasons.

quote:

The entire point is that Poe demanded to be told things after being proven himself untrustworthy and viewed things as "I'm the right hero who is always right" (with the meta-text of 'because that's how it works in these kind of films') only for it in fact to turn out to be entirely wrong. Their one in a million desperate effort didn't help, the charming rogue they met in a prison cell turned out to be more interested in profit than having a heart of gold, and Poe disliking being given orders turned out to be because he was an arrogant hothead, not because the orders were wrong.
that is the intended message - what the movie actually says is something else again - Poe doesn't come across as an attempted Big drat Hero learning he shouldn't do that, he comes across as an audience/crew surrogate who is trying to solve problems and is unreasonably frozen out

a. His demotion actually makes very little sense and doesn't feel earned - Holdo and Leia (and the film) treat him as if he was wrong, but he isn't actually ever shown to be wrong or reckless and several details of the film contradict this interpretation. The bombers clearly weren't launched on his authority and were already in the air as part of a plan to take on the NO fleet, the plan had actually been entirely successful to the point that Leia decides to peace-out, its entirely unclear how the bombers would possibly be recalled/saved if they were as slow/vulnerable as shown, and nobody ever contradicts the notion that the dreadnought is a legitimate "fleet killer" in a film where the rebel fleet then spends the rest of the movie getting the poo poo pounded out of it in a slow-speed chase.

b. After the briefing he makes request to know what's going on, offers relevant information he'd know as commander of their fighter wing (with an implicit offer to help), something that is perfectly reasonable under the circumstances and given his role (even with the demotion). Holdo brushes his information/offer off, and tells him to shut the gently caress up, go away, and follow orders (she clearly has no interest in what Poe/others have to offer in terms of alternate suggestions/plans, which is why the comically inappropriate Finn and Rose go on a spy mission). As time goes on it becomes clear the fleet is taking severe losses and Poe is not the only one completely cut out of any sort of information loop and rapidly losing faith in the command structure. Indeed it gets so bad that the crew stages a mutiny that feels entirely justified to the audience for reasons that have nothing to do with assuaging Poe's ego or need to be the Big drat Hero. You're supposed to feel bad because it turns out Holdo did have a plan all along, but this is undermined by the plan being both obviously terrible on its face and in no way requiring the utter lack of communication Holdo engages in to be successful.

the movie clearly wants you to think Poe was dangerous/reckless/wrong and tells you that is the case, but it does a really piss poor job actually showing him to be dangerous, reckless or wrong, with what appears on screen often contradicting that message - so you end up with a movie where those in command of the rebellion are demonstrably uninterested in soliciting helpful advice during a crisis situation, fail completely at leadership during that same crisis situation, and pursue a terrible plan, and then at the end the audience is told that the demonstrably awful plan put forward by these people would have succeeded if only everyone had simply sat down, shut up, and obeyed without question

there's definitely a message there, but its not a good one

TLJ is a bad movie

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 10, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

jesus christ dude

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Arist posted:

jesus christ dude

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Arist posted:

jesus christ dude

you literally asked for it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There's kinda a gap between 'the message of the film is that you should obey authority without question' and 'hey Poe never makes a mistake why isn't he rewarded for just going off on his gut instinct'.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

LGD posted:

you literally asked for it

When you’re on your deathbed will you remember the effortbitching that made you mad or the shitposts that made you lol

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Fangz posted:

There's kinda a gap between 'the message of the film is that you should obey authority without question' and 'hey Poe never makes a mistake why isn't he rewarded for just going off on his gut instinct'.

not really though - Poe certainly isn't flawless (for example he almost certainly should have had Finn go talk to the intelligence/command staff despite his earlier brush-off), but the film does an incredibly poor job of conveying that he's making bad decisions under the circumstances (the film's failure to establish scale and the broader context of the conflict is a major impediment here), and in every case the implied (correct) alternative course of action is for Poe to simply shut up and unquestioningly follow orders

e: I guess this is The End

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

What is the likely timetable for the CM trailer? I suppose there any big high profile event they can attach it to before it comes out?

The next "Marvel" movie is Venom in early October. After that the only big Disney release for the rest of the year is Wreck it Ralph 2.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think they are betting on Mary Poppins: Reveangence bring pretty big as well

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Fangz posted:

EDIT: They were decidedly more mixed on Infinity War, FWIW.
And not surprisingly it mostly revolves around the characterization and baggage of Thanos in how he's presented in those films.

Though I know Lindsey was also talking about how Infinity War was starting to remind her of post 2000s event comics and the problems that come with them from a narrative standpoint.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
You're a good egg, LGD

Arist posted:

Posts like these sound like every Snyder fetishist who is absolutely bloody adamant that MARTHAA is the most brilliant swerve in the history of cinema and if you don't like it then it's 'cuz you're not smart enough to appreciate how tenth-dimensionally ingenious it really is

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ok

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

The next "Marvel" movie is Venom in early October. After that the only big Disney release for the rest of the year is Wreck it Ralph 2.
They also have that Nutcracker movie later in the year.

I would think we get the CM trailer by the end of this month or the beginning of Oct.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I think they are betting on Mary Poppins: Reveangence bring pretty big as well

I wish Michael Rooker had filmed his cameo before he told Disney to gently caress off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It turns out Sony was right all along!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We can talk about Batman/Superman again! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

They don't really have to attach it to anything big.

The last time there was a gap like this between MCU films was before Civil War. That had a few trailers / scenes shown at conventions in August and September before the first actual trailer was released on an episode of Jimmy Kimmel.

• Locked thread