Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Let's go make ourselves known to Daniel and the Sorrows.

Chapter 54: Sun Vulture and the Tribal's Tribulations

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
:allears: Oh sun, never change. Also :black101: DEATH TO ALL WHITE LEGS! MAIM! CRUSH! KILL! MURDER! DESTROY! :black101:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Joshua's note on the .45 being designed by one of his tribe nearly four centuries ago is correct! New Vegas is set approximately 370 years after the M1911 pistol came into service. Its designer, John Browning, was a Mormon. :eng101:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

As I saw someone post in the Fallout thread once, 3 onward are all set about ten years after the bombs fell and lying about it. It’s not a BAD thing, aesthetically, it just is what it is.

For 3, that would work, IF it was set 10 years after, and not 200 or so.

For New Vegas it does kinda work cause, well, the Mojave DESERT isn't exactly a lush rainforest in the first place :v:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Huh. I don't think I've ever asked Cloud about the Ghost of She before. Never knew the story.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
You guys are turning me around on this whole "Honest Hearts is kind of poo poo" opinion. Maybe it's okay?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

From what I remember, if Caesar happens to be dead by this point, Joshua can be informed of it. His reaction is something like "I wouldn't have expected him to die before I did. The Legion is dead then, they just don't know it yet."

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

From what I remember, if Caesar happens to be dead by this point, Joshua can be informed of it. His reaction is something like "I wouldn't have expected him to die before I did. The Legion is dead then, they just don't know it yet."

Not only that, but Joshua's statement about Caesar not mentioning or acknowledging him is a write-around to explain the fact that they couldn't get Caesar's voice-actor in to record more lines during the development of Honest Hearts.

I'm not counting Caesar being interactable as a spoiler, by the way, but let's keep everything else about him hush-hush for now.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Wow, never thought I'd see another Japanese statement that needed to be translated. :allears:

彼らが混乱したのは不思議ではありません.

Translates to...

It is no wonder that they were confused.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Honest Hearts isn't really bad, in any way, but it's by far the most "more content" DLC of the bunch, compared to the off-the-wall zaniness of Old World Blues, the atmosphere and conflicted companions of Dead Money or the sheer, unvarnished Avellone-ness of Lonesome Road. It kind of fails to stand out, outside of the dulcet baritone of Szarabajka. I can't even tell if he's a particularly good voice actor, or if his voice is doing all the work for him.

ApeHawk posted:

I'm not counting Caesar being interactable as a spoiler, by the way, but let's keep everything else about him hush-hush for now.

Aw geez, I keep forgetting that you still haven't been to the Strip or interacted with a single Act II character. You nut. You absolute madman.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
There's a very good reason to not do any of that until after you've done.... at the very least Lonesome Road.

I always do all four DLCs before moving on the Strip.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That is certainly a thing, but I think people exaggerate how much it affects. Lonesome Road is also affected by how you advance the main plot, and I think that part matters a whole lot more than the other thing. Let's save that for when we get there, though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That is certainly a thing, but I think people exaggerate how much it affects. Lonesome Road is also affected by how you advance the main plot, and I think that part matters a whole lot more than the other thing. Let's save that for when we get there, though.

Lonesome Road apparently has interactions that lock and unlock depending on when you do it, anywhere from as soon as you are able to access it to 100%ing everything else.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lonesome Road apparently has interactions that lock and unlock depending on when you do it, anywhere from as soon as you are able to access it to 100%ing everything else.

Yes it does. You really can’t half-rear end your playthrough before hand if you want to get the the “good” ending to the DLC but...eh. The DLC is really, REALLY boring outside of the main thing it brings.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Ahaha yes, when I did this DLC, I too immediately started the Ghost of She quest, and seeing Joshua suddenly stroll up the river preaching scripture at me while tripping balls on Datura gave me a legitimate pause to process everything.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Archenteron posted:

Ahaha yes, when I did this DLC, I too immediately started the Ghost of She quest, and seeing Joshua suddenly stroll up the river preaching scripture at me while tripping balls on Datura gave me a legitimate pause to process everything.

"josh im a bit busy sorry

also there's two of you?"

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

Archenteron posted:

Same, I think it adds some nice dramatic flair to the sermon.

Relatedly: I think Joshua is an amazingly written character. And the religious man in me really appreciates how they handle Christianity in this DLC.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Are they a faithful representation of what post-apocalyptic Mormons would look like? I remember being a bit weirded out that they would talk about gentiles and reside in places like New Canaan and the Zion Valley, while also very clearly following a belief centered around Jesus and Mary, but I'm not a Christian, so I figured it wasn't my place to judge.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Are they a faithful representation of what post-apocalyptic Mormons would look like? I remember being a bit weirded out that they would talk about gentiles and reside in places like New Canaan and the Zion Valley, while also very clearly following a belief centered around Jesus and Mary, but I'm not a Christian, so I figured it wasn't my place to judge.

Apparently at least one real-life Mormon really likes the way they were portrayed in FNV.
(link removed but the Kotaku article is easy to google)

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 8, 2018

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That article does have some light backstory spoilers for this game, just FYI.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Short update that I didn't put a whole bunch of words into thanks to that new spader-dude game or whatever it's called.

Works out, though, since it's mostly terminal entries! Hooray!

Chapter 55: Sun Vulture and the Father in the Caves

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 10, 2019

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well poo poo :smith:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Man. I totally forget to listen through that last one whenever I've played. Thanks for making me see it fit together.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i've never played this game, and that was really well written. thanks for sharing it

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Some VA should really do a decent reading of the logs set to still images.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is such a powerful sequence - thanks for presenting it chronologically. When I played the game, naturally I found things out of order so the narrative gut-punch was a bit muted.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Overall, Honest Hearts is a really mediocre piece of dlc. But then you come across the Survivalist's story and it has all the feels.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
After reading the message he left for the Sorrows, there's one really obvious decision to make in the future.

(I shed a tear every time I read it, and then use his rifle from thereon out)

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Did this come out before Old World Blues? The School feels like a Big MT thing, but I'm pretty sure nothing like that actually made it into the DLC.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

eating only apples posted:

After reading the message he left for the Sorrows, there's one really obvious decision to make in the future.

(I shed a tear every time I read it, and then use his rifle from thereon out)

win a speech check?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I think it would have been better if Josh and Sam joined different DLCs and you're left to puzzle out everything yourself and decide who lives and who dies, just like the survivor.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

double nine posted:

win a speech check?

yeah, but if you can't it's not really a big deal

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Explosions posted:

Did this come out before Old World Blues? The School feels like a Big MT thing, but I'm pretty sure nothing like that actually made it into the DLC.

This was the 2nd DLC, so before OWB. Borous has his school test facility, during which he refers to himself as Principal Borous, but there's nothing to suggest they're related, who knows where the kids came from.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We have seen DLC characters reference future DLCs, like how Christine and Elijah have been to the big MT, but I don't think the Sorrows have anything to do with OWB. They're on complete opposite sides of the map, for one. I think they were just kids who were caught up in some guys post-apocalyptic labor slave camp.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

As the DLC packs go, this one is pretty isolated compared to the others and is based more on the core game with the major enemies effectively being proto-legionaries instead of SCIENCE :pseudo: monsters. Other than the giant bugs and other animals. Does animal friend not work on Yao Guis this time?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

As the DLC packs go, this one is pretty isolated compared to the others and is based more on the core game with the major enemies effectively being proto-legionaries instead of SCIENCE :pseudo: monsters. Other than the giant bugs and other animals. Does animal friend not work on Yao Guis this time?

Yao Guai only appear in this DLC, not in the main game. The other enemies in Zion are bugs and geckos, so Animal Friend is useless here.

Iirc it's only useful for nightstalkers, all the other enemies affected by it are easy kills (dogs, coyotes, molerats). Good for OWB where nightstalkers will gently caress you up. Not good for much else.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
RIP The Survivalist, he did god's work and was praised by children who escaped evil. He is missed :smith:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
When I mentioned this was the only part of Honest Hearts that I enjoyed, I meant it. His whole story is drat good. That bit where he's getting ready to go rescue the proto-tribal survivors from the cage, the next entry is "They ate them" and then the five day skip before it just goes After Action Report was just :black101:

The genesis of The Sorrows was a fantastic ending to his story.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
That rifle is also my favorite gun in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

RickVoid posted:

When I mentioned this was the only part of Honest Hearts that I enjoyed, I meant it. His whole story is drat good. That bit where he's getting ready to go rescue the proto-tribal survivors from the cage, the next entry is "They ate them" and then the five day skip before it just goes After Action Report was just :black101:

The genesis of The Sorrows was a fantastic ending to his story.

That was my favorite part as well.

I really should replay this game with all the DLC and I never did any of them, but I'm enjoying the heck out of reading this LP.

Also I'm really curious what was picked up but not mentioned in the last post.