Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

EBB posted:

Florence is gonna be my mom's first hurricane in the Carolinas. She was telling me how she was laughing internally at people who keep "hurricane preparedness kits" and the guy boarding up his windows. They live two miles from shore and told me "I've been through hurricanes in New England, this is basically the same."

I wished her the best of luck.

i have experienced both, they are not the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1248119002

quote:

In May 2017, Guyger was called to assist another officer searching for a suspect. An affidavit indicates a man identified as Uvaldo Perez got out of a car and became combative with Guyger and another officer. A struggle began and Guyger fired her Taser at Perez, who wrested the weapon away from her. Guyger then drew her gun and shot Perez in the abdomen, the affidavit says. Guyger was not charged in the case. 

Jean's family is demanding charges against Guyger in Jean's death. Guyger has been placed on paid administrative leave. 

Hall announced Friday that investigators were preparing a warrant for a manslaughter charged. She also turned the case over to the Texas Rangers, citing the need for transparency in the investigation. A day later, however, she said the Rangers had asked her to hold off on the charges. The Rangers, she said, had interviewed Guyger and wanted to further investigate information obtained from her.

They're gonna let her off

I now lust for cop death

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 9, 2018

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Model predictions this far out are still pretty unreliable, and the Euro/ECMWF model is generally considered the best hurricane prediction model for the Atlantic. But the American GFS and FV3-GFS models have a ridiculous prediction that Florence will stall at landfall and sit on top of the NC barrier islands for three days straight.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=z500_mslp&runtime=2018090912&fh=-60

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

golden bubble posted:

Model predictions this far out are still pretty unreliable, and the Euro/ECMWF model is generally considered the best hurricane prediction model for the Atlantic. But the American GFS and FV3-GFS models have a ridiculous prediction that Florence will stall at landfall and sit on top of the NC barrier islands for three days straight.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=z500_mslp&runtime=2018090912&fh=-60

Err, that potential field is basically an enormous "gently caress you" to the entire continental USA. I mean, good luck.

You might try moving to Alaska?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Her first shooting is a “good” shooting if it really played out that way. Less lethal first and then the gun is pretty restrained.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EBB posted:

Florence is gonna be my mom's first hurricane in the Carolinas. She was telling me how she was laughing internally at people who keep "hurricane preparedness kits" and the guy boarding up his windows. They live two miles from shore and told me "I've been through hurricanes in New England, this is basically the same."

I wished her the best of luck.

Getting ready for weather events is like one of the most exciting parts of New England and its the only time you see strangers in public talking here

Also lol that a carolina hurricane is the same as a New England hurricane. Shits way loving weaker by the time it gets here. Good luck to her.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Professor Bling posted:

url]https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1248119002[/url]

They're gonna let her off

I now lust for cop death

I am aboard the anti police brutality train as much as any sane person. But why is this case an example of that? The dude was combative, shrugged off the taser and took it away from the officer. What would you expect them to do in this situation? Ask nicely that he ceases hostilities?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Tell your mom to pack up and leave if any waffle houses near her close

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

GoGoGadget posted:

I am aboard the anti police brutality train as much as any sane person. But why is this case an example of that? The dude was combative, shrugged off the taser and took it away from the officer. What would you expect them to do in this situation? Ask nicely that he ceases hostilities?

That's was her earlier shooting, not the one that happened days ago

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GoGoGadget posted:

Lol that's not the one anyone's upset over

They're mad at her blasting a dude for the crimes of Being Home While Black and Being Near A Drunk Cop (While Black)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah I just wouldn’t bring up that shooting because it showed her as being level headed and not a blood thirsty racist.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah I haven't been paying attention to the news and din't hear about the hurricane until today. She and her husband are not super bright people and stubborn as hell. They're both the kind of horse that refuses to be lead to water.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EBB posted:

They're both the kind of horse that refuses to be lead to water.

Well the good news is they won't need to be led for much longer.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Professor Bling posted:

Lol that's not the one anyone's upset over

They're mad at her blasting a dude for the crimes of Being Home While Black and Being Near A Drunk Cop (While Black)

I know that. And I think she should definitely have the book thrown at her for that poo poo. But why even bring up the other one at all?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadget posted:

I know that. And I think she should definitely have the book thrown at her for that poo poo. But why even bring up the other one at all?

You know how the stereotype defensive response around police shooting black people is "he was no angel"?

This is the opposite of that. "She has good judgement."

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Spicy hot take:

Cops should be disarmed. Fully and completely.

And if this results in more dead cops that's a net positive for society.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

psydude posted:

Oh my

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

psydude posted:

:vince:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Professor Bling posted:

Spicy hot take:

Cops should be disarmed. Fully and completely.

And if this results in more dead cops that's a net positive for society.

euro countries will have armed cops as back up basically but the person interacting with the public won't have a gun.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

If your domicile is in the Outer Banks, how do you not have a lovely shanty in the background that is your "Get out of Hurricane Zone Electrical Zone" somewhere in like Kentucky?

e: I mean you are going to be paying north of half a million for anything on the banks, this seems like a ridiculous oversight.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

euro countries will have armed cops as back up basically but the person interacting with the public won't have a gun.

Not true. Only Great Britain has unarmed cops. Norway’s cops are armed, but don’t sometimes have a weapon on them. Elsewhere everyone carries a weapon on patrol, and depending on place detectives might orr might not carry. Some countries or jurisdictions will have rookie cops withh everything else besides a firearm until certain patrol time is filled.

Some countries require firearm to be signed in after work, some require it to be stored in personal locker, and some allow it home.

China stands out as another place where People’s Police have an issues revolver, but not on them.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

Not true. Only Great Britain has unarmed cops. Norway’s cops are armed, but don’t sometimes have a weapon on them. Elsewhere everyone carries a weapon on patrol, and depending on place detectives might orr might not carry. Some countries or jurisdictions will have rookie cops withh everything else besides a firearm until certain patrol time is filled.

Some countries require firearm to be signed in after work, some require it to be stored in personal locker, and some allow it home.

China stands out as another place where People’s Police have an issues revolver, but not on them.

While we do have armed cops in the UK, our general cops are explicitly not armed. As per a survey done of them a couple of years ago, half of them would resign immediately if arms were required for service.

That said, I've seen and talked to the actual armed bastards while out a couple of times in my life and they know their poo poo. We just have a different way of thinking about firearms over here.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
And UK is a pretty stark stand out in the world as having police officers who are not armed, cannot be armed, and are not trained to be armed.

In other places where the pistol isn’t carried on patrol, it still exists somewhere and is trained with. But as said, in most european countries it is always carried on patrol.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Schools spying on kids. It's more likely than you think.
https://twitter.com/AnnieWaldman/status/1038459050210586624

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Brute Squad posted:

If that'd been a possibility when I was a kid, I'd have torched the school. Disclaimer: I'm the kid that stole a modem and hacked into the school's registration systems. Or worse.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SquirrelyPSU posted:

If your domicile is in the Outer Banks, how do you not have a lovely shanty in the background that is your "Get out of Hurricane Zone Electrical Zone" somewhere in like Kentucky?

e: I mean you are going to be paying north of half a million for anything on the banks, this seems like a ridiculous oversight.

The bank will only give you one loan if that loan eats up three quarters of your combined income every year

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

nyt posted:

In their advertising, the companies promise much, but when contacted, they declined to give details on specific incidents, citing nondisclosure agreements and student privacy laws. Many schools also declined to give details of instances in which they used the companies’ information.

:lol:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Brute Squad posted:

Good lesson for kids to learn to lock their poo poo down imo

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

After listening to the Serial podcast about Bergdahl you definitely realize he’s only a step above Caro on the mental health. It changed my opinion about the whole situation when I got more information about him.

I think that's why I like S2 so much over S1. I knew a ton about Caro and when i first listened to S2 i was very sympathetic to his poor decisions because he sounded like a young and dumb guy with some real mental health problems.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
At this point life lessons for children are stuff like "how to do laundry" and "here's how finance and credit works" and everyone just needs to add on to that pile "here's how basic digital security and online privacy works." That particular genie is not ever going back in the bottle and I've told my wife when we get serious about having young'ns we're treating that talk just as seriously as all the other topics. There's just really no other way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/MejiaSouth/stat...%3D4438%23pti17

What a stupid loving shitshow that is going to end with a murderer walking

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Man it's gonna be awesome when the great lakes get hot enough to regularly spawn tropical cyclones just like the oceans.

Don't laugh it already happened in 1996

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

As I understand it the difference between manslaughter and homicide is if you would rather the dude died or not. So how can any sort of intentional discharge of a gun that ends up in a dude the gun was pointing at not homicide? A gun is a tool whose sole purpose is to destroy people, animals, pieces of paper, etc. It's not like "Was working construction and having a nail gun fight, and accidentally lobotomized my friend not realizing you can do that, whoopsie" or "I got startled and tasered the dude and the dude had a heart condition, whoopsie"

edit: in fairness I could be and probably wrong. I'm really curious.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 10, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

As I understand it the difference between manslaughter and homicide is if you would rather the dude died or not. So how can any sort of intentional discharge of a gun that ends up in a dude the gun was pointing at not homicide? A gun is a tool whose sole purpose is to destroy people, animals, pieces of paper, etc. It's not like "Was working construction and having a nail gun fight, and accidentally lobotomized my friend not realizing you can do that, whoopsie".

A homicide is when a human being is killed by another. A justified homicide is... well self explanatory. The typical ways illegal homicides are categorized as manslaughter and murder. Usually as you said but every state has crazy differences.

I don’t know if Texas has imperfect self defense but that’d be one way to get what would otherwise be a murder down to manslaughter.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Fallom posted:

https://twitter.com/MejiaSouth/stat...%3D4438%23pti17

What a stupid loving shitshow that is going to end with a murderer walking

I'd say this is how you get riots, but my limited understanding of the nature of Dallas leads me to believe that this would result in a pile of dead rioters?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Man dallas police generally have a good reputation within the city.

Remember when they used a bomb robot to blow up a guy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Sounds like she's been arrested on Manslaughter Charges, possibly upgraded to Murder later.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/dallas-officer-killed-black-man-shot-man-2017-57702348

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

From my time in Dallas, DPD wasn't bad, it was the small bullshit munis and towns between and around DFW that was the absolute worse

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Nick Soapdish posted:

From my time in Dallas, DPD wasn't bad, it was the small bullshit munis and towns between and around DFW that was the absolute worse

yeah DFW is littered with small communities who absolutely will pull you over for the crime of driving in the dark while black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Proud Christian Mom posted:

yeah DFW is littered with small communities who absolutely will pull you over for the crime of driving in the dark while black.

So they all employ cops? We knew this already

• Locked thread