Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

Did a bot from that Jalopnik article write that? There were no 318 ZJ sticks, so I don't know why they have that badge.
In your heart you know why

quote:

I did suggest this car was exceptional, and this last item should prove it. When it was built, with the specified and superior 6 cylinder engine, it had a V-8 emblem on the tailgate as it rolled out of the Jefferson Road plant. There may be others so badged, withy a 6 cylinder engine, but I suspect not. That's exceptional.

Still happening to this day https://www.caranddriver.com/news/oops-ram-accidentally-put-hemi-badges-on-a-bunch-of-v-6-trucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

There's a guy on youtube that bought a 2019 Ram that had chrome trim on one side of the truck and blacked out trim on the other. He didn't notice until he got the truck home. I'm not linking because the video is pretty boring/hard to watch/listen to. Got to keep that tradition of Oops going.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Bought this today. Only 100,000 original miles, single owner driven, everything works, no CEL, new tires, no smoke, no leaks, no problems.
2000 Acura CL 3.0l for only $1800. I talked him down from $2000 because there is a hairline crack in the front windshield from a rock chip I'll need to replace.
But $1800 for a nice Acura with only 100k feels like gold to me.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 1, 2018

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Goober Peas posted:

There's a guy on youtube that bought a 2019 Ram that had chrome trim on one side of the truck and blacked out trim on the other. He didn't notice until he got the truck home. I'm not linking because the video is pretty boring/hard to watch/listen to. Got to keep that tradition of Oops going.

RAM:

Randomly
Apply
Materials

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 2, 2018

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://jalopnik.com/5841061/how-does-jeep-continue-to-ship-wranglers-with-the-wrong-parts

No one noticed until the dealer's ad went up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Description says it’s a 6, but came out of the factory with the V8 badge for some unknown reason.

Edit: I mean on the Grand Cherokee from the eBay auction.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 6, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

I sent that to a friend who works the internal parts counter at a Mopar dealership (i.e. orders parts for the trained apes mechanics), he said that would be replaced under warranty. And agreed that it makes AMC's Renault years look good. GM was too big to fail, Crysler just failed at failing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So does this explain all the vtec badges I've seen over the past decades? Chrysler/Fiat taking a page out of Honda?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Colostomy Bag posted:

So does this explain all the vtec badges I've seen over the past decades? Chrysler/Fiat taking a page out of Honda?

wat

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/ls1-swapped-rx8-fully/6670436505.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Removed airbag, not road legal in US. Also, this car still requires emission checks, where applicable. The asking price for a sorted swap is not bad, but it's not for everyone.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 8, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
welp, guess my s2000 isn't road legal either, rip

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

welp, guess my s2000 isn't road legal either, rip
If your s2000 is missing its airbag then no, it isn't. It may be okay in some parts of the country, I don't know 100%, but get ready to have your insurance claim denied in case of an accident.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nitrox posted:

Removed airbag, not road legal in US. Also, this car still requires emission checks, where applicable. The asking price for a sorted swap is not bad, but it's not for everyone.

Probably pass emissions easier now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitrox posted:

If your s2000 is missing its airbag then no, it isn't. It may be okay in some parts of the country, I don't know 100%, but get ready to have your insurance claim denied in case of an accident.

You’re talking nonsense. There is nothing in a US insurance policy that would cause a denial of 1st or 3rd party coverages for not having an airbag.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

How long would the factory Mazda diff handle an LS1’s torque?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Dadliest Worrier posted:

About as long as it takes to sell the car

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Chillbro Baggins posted:

I sent that to a friend who works the internal parts counter at a Mopar dealership (i.e. orders parts for the trained apes mechanics), he said that would be replaced under warranty. And agreed that it makes AMC's Renault years look good. GM was too big to fail, Crysler just failed at failing.

I want to point out that I've seen more than one Chrysler with the spelling mistake you made.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

stumbled on an ad for a williams clio redefining camber

genuinely a pretty thing but 8.5k€ asking price seems a little much

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Nitrox posted:

MY '68 VW Fastback is getting airbags, does that cancel it out? Cars have to be manufactured/sold with airbags, that's it. The emissions part is what's really important here for being in CA, that's probably something he should be mentioning. V8 Roadsters does a 3.6 GM V6 swap for these too that's supposedly better suited to the RX-8. They also have a Ford 8.8 conversion for V8s. That guy's car could have been done a lot better.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 8, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The v8 roadsters complete swap kit is like 7k before you even factor in an engine, transmission, or diff

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are literally hundreds of thousands of cars rolling around with airbagless aftermarket steering wheels.

Probably millions.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Forever, as long as it never hooks up. The moment you put sticky tires on it and get it to hook, the rear end is toast.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Nitrox posted:

I pulled out the school bus wheels on my old Eclipses and they were fine. Seek Christ.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Octopus Magic posted:

I pulled out the school bus wheels on my old Eclipses and they were fine. Seek Christ.

Eh, he's not wrong though. It's not legal to remove safety and emissions stuff but there's no enforcement of it.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Old Binsby posted:

stumbled on an ad for a williams clio redefining camber

genuinely a pretty thing but 8.5k€ asking price seems a little much

Seems to be the going rate these days in fact when you compare to a late 205 GTI they are still okay value considering how few of them are left.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Larrymer posted:

Eh, he's not wrong though. It's not legal to remove safety and emissions stuff but there's no enforcement of it.
Yep. And the car will not pass inspection, where applicable. Uninspected car is not road legal.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You’re talking nonsense. There is nothing in a US insurance policy that would cause a denial of 1st or 3rd party coverages for not having an airbag.
I wish you best of luck in court when your non-road legal car causes property damage and bodily harm on public roads.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Yep. And the car will not pass inspection, where applicable. Uninspected car is not road legal.
I wish you best of luck in court when your non-road legal car causes property damage and bodily harm on public roads.

Nice job moving the goalposts and editing your post, I guess? You said your claim would get denied because of removing the airbag, I called you out on posting nonsense, and now you’re talking about how it would play in court.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nice job moving the goalposts and editing your post, I guess? You said your claim would get denied because of removing the airbag, I called you out on posting nonsense, and now you’re talking about how it would play in court.

There are two separate issues here. It is illegal to remove the airbags or defeat safety systems built into the car. It's only allowed if you have a reason that getting hit with an airbag might be dangerous to you, and then you have to get written permission from the NHTSA.

In practice this only matters if your state has safety inspections as part of your registration renewal. There are no airbag police who will track you down and arrest you for it.

Insurance coverage is another matter. If you shut off or remove the airbags in your car and someone in your car is hurt in an accident, they will probably charge you with contributory negligence and assess some of the blame for the injury to you.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Let me explain. Insurance company is happy to latch on to whatever condition they can find to deny your or anyone's claim. Removing an airbag makes your car illegal to drive, so insurance adjuster would be happy as gently caress to see that you've done that. So when the other party's insurance is suing you personally, you'll be scrambling to sue your own company, just to force them to represent your interests in court.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Let me explain. Insurance company is happy to latch on to whatever condition they can find to deny your or anyone's claim. Removing an airbag makes your car illegal to drive, so insurance adjuster would be happy as gently caress to see that you've done that. So when the other party's insurance is suing you personally, you'll be scrambling to sue your own company, just to force them to represent your interests in court.

You’re literally making things up. Look at your insurance policy and find the exclusions language for 1st party, 3rd party, and comp/coll. You won’t find anything in there saying removing an airbag is an excluded act. The closest you could get would be the exclusion about racing, but it’s a non issue if the accident didn’t happen on the track or you were street racing (and the burden of proof is on the insurer to prove this is the case).

This whole myth that insurance companies deny claims all the time willy nilly is not based in reality. If you deny these legit claims you’ll get blasted with bad faith lawsuits and pay out treble damages.

People do dumb poo poo to their cars all the time and it’s covered.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

You’re literally making things up. Look at your insurance policy and find the exclusions language for 1st party, 3rd party, and comp/coll. You won’t find anything in there saying removing an airbag is an excluded act. The closest you could get would be the exclusion about racing, but it’s a non issue if the accident didn’t happen on the track or you were street racing (and the burden of proof is on the insurer to prove this is the case).

This whole myth that insurance companies deny claims all the time willy nilly is not based in reality. If you deny these legit claims you’ll get blasted with bad faith lawsuits and pay out treble damages.

People do dumb poo poo to their cars all the time and it’s covered.

You sound like a smart guy who knows everything, but do this just to prove me wrong. Call your insurance company directly and ask them what would happen to your potential claim if during an accident your car was missing some mandatory safety features, like an airbag. You can even call anonymously.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitrox posted:

You sound like a smart guy who knows everything, but do this just to prove me wrong. Call your insurance company directly and ask them what would happen to your potential claim if during an accident your car was missing some mandatory safety features, like an airbag. You can even call anonymously.

You’re the one making the claims, it’s your burden of proof.

http://doi.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/doinvgov/_public-documents/Consumers/AU127-1.pdf

Here’s a sample PDF of a real insurance policy. Read the exclusions sections. See anything about modifying the vehicle, or safety equipment, or literally anything related to what you’re claiming?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
This whole conversation feels like it's being put on by Big Air

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
My uncle’s insurance denied his claim because the tree that fell on his truck was “an act of god”, insurance companies will do anything to not cover you.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

God wanted that truck crushed, who are they to argue?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm going to leave this here and stop participating, because the counter arguments are using Sovereign citizen logic.

Google search for "removed airbag insurance claim" nets many anecdotes, such as this:

quote:

I recently contact my insurance broker to ask about the insurance implications of removing my airbag:

"I am wondering what, if any, effect changing the steering wheel in my Porsche for a non-airbag unit would have on my insurance rate. I figure the airbag in it now is a first-generation, 15-year old unit anyway so I wonder how effective it would be required if called upon."

My broker's response:

"We would have to notify (the company) of the "modifications" made to the vehicle and if it will still pass Safety Inspection with these modifications it should be fine. You should be aware that the vehicle was built with these safety features, well before they were popular and there may well have been reason for that! By removing the air bags you are placing yourself at greater risk. Also should someone else be driving the vehicle and they are seriously injured and can show their injuries were greater due to the absence of an air bag, you could be sued for YOUR negligence.

At this point, in the most extreme circumstances, you also needs to know, that if someone hit you and do seriously bodily injury to you and find out that you have removed this safety feature, then they are going to say that you are guilty of "Contributory Negligence" meaning your actions directly affected the injuries you sustained and as a result want any monies awarded to you to be reduced by your contribution of negligence. Kind of like the 25% Contributory negligence when I hit someone and they don't have their seat belt on. "
And many more after, where people discuss this issue on message boards, then someone actually calls insurance and get told "If you do this, consider your policy void".

Good luck in court

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Take it to PMs because your pissing match is ruining a good thread.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

koollook124 posted:

My uncle’s insurance denied his claim because the tree that fell on his truck was “an act of god”, insurance companies will do anything to not cover you.

I think all types of insurance coverage will use this. We had lightning strike a tree that had 6 cows standing under it. Cows being fatties and weak against lightning, died. Farm insurance company denied the claim as it was 'an act of god'

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

god does like his steaks well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dr.Caligari posted:

I think all types of insurance coverage will use this. We had lightning strike a tree that had 6 cows standing under it. Cows being fatties and weak against lightning, died. Farm insurance company denied the claim as it was 'an act of god'

For cars, that is actually separate coverage. Collision damage covers your car being in an accident with another car. If you want to cover damage from other sources (like an "Act of God"), you need Comprehensive coverage. It's not mandatory, so many people don't buy it - and then they bitch when a tree falls on their car.